Prolog

The Rat Among Us

3 months earlier...

        We have sad news. Today, January 2nd, there was a bombing incident in Northern side of Jisimdo Island, during the New Year's festival. A number of government officials and important people and their families became victims in the incident. There were 42 invited guests attending the event. The bomb disposal teams, police and medical teams have arrived at the scene. We still don’t know how many victims are there since the authorities haven’t given any statement. In the meantime, we will make sure our jour..” BEEP. 

“HEYYY!!! What are you doing?! I was watching the news!”

“Jeezuus, Daisy! Will you stop watching tv and come practice with me already?! Your fighting skill is getting dull now!”

The girl who got lectured only sighed for a moment before finally stood up and looked at her fellow friend who was glaring at her.

“Matt, you really are an , you know?! You’re going to regret this,” Daisy sulked while following her friend to the gym.

“Hey.. Stop calling me Matthew, just BM, please!” He elbowed Daisy playfully.

                But the playful talk only lasted for seconds because suddenly BM’s phone rang. His smile was gone when he looked at unknown number calling him. BM owned two mobile phones, one for work and other one was for his private life which only close friends and families knew the number. So when he looked at his private phone got called by unknown, he got chills. But instead of rejecting, his gut told him to answer that. He answered the call but didn’t make any sound before he heard the voice from the caller. Daisy tried to read BM’s shocked face. His lips were trembling a bit.

“What do you want me to do?” He finally spoke after couple minutes listening to the caller. Daisy watched him curiously.

“Alright. Be careful. I’ll call you back later,” BM ended the call.

“What’s wrong? Who was that?” Daisy looked at BM worriedly because he looked distracted and worried. BM looked at her and he was about to tell her something before suddenly a guy ran to them.

“BM, Daisy! Emergency meeting, NOW!” the guy who was one of their comrade shouted in panic.

                The meeting was a little too intense. BM was sitting beside Daisy calmly while Daisy had confusion written on her face. The chief looked so serious and gloomy. His darkened mood made him looked even older than usual.

“We got sad news. Our Minister of National Defense passed away in the bombing incident at Jisimdo island along with some parliament members, their families, and our comrades. Agent Minhyuk died in the incident. Mission is failed.” The Chief finally spoke with really low tone. Daisy lips were gaped, shocked.

“How.. But...” Daisy lost words. Minhyuk was a sunbae she really cared the most, because he taught her martial arts and some acrobatic skills. She was dumbfounded by the news, “No.. It can’t be true.” She shook her head in disbelief. BM grabbed her hand under the table. He held her hand gently, trying to comfort her.

“Daisy...” BM whispered, but she was distracted too much. “Sydney Han!” He whispered her real name a little bit louder this time. She looked at his eyes. Her eyes were full of tears.

“Syd, Keep your composure. We’re in the meeting right now.” He whispered again, with her hand in his palms. Daisy only looked down, biting her lower lip, trying to restraint herself from crying or screaming.

“For now, we got some information. First, the culprit who allegedly responsible of the bombing incident is Unit Zero from National Intelligence Service which leaded by Christopher Bang.”

Daisy was surprised and looked at BM now. She saw BM’s jaws were clenched, she even felt his grasp on her hand was tightening. She knew BM and Chris are friends for so long.

Chris was BM’s favorite junior in academy. But they parted ways when they joined different organization. Chris joined National Intelligence, while BM joined Secret Intelligence. These organizations have different jobs. National Intelligence is more like a cop, they are trained to chase criminals and protecting important people, while Secret Intelligence is more like a real secret agent, they are trained to blend in naturally with people or even with criminal organizations to gain information. The information they got should be trusted to National Intelligence or Military Service, because capturing or ambushing criminals isn’t their job. National Intelligence agents work in a team, while Secret Intelligence (SI) work individually, or sometimes just with a single partner, if needed.

Watching BM trying to keep his composure, making Daisy felt bad for losing it seconds ago. She remembered BM once told her proudly while showing Chris’s photo, “Look at my lil bro! He isn’t little anymore! Look at his chest and broad shoulders! They’re screaming BIG TIDDIES!” Daisy felt bad for Chris that time eventho she didn’t know him. Daisy took a turn to hold BM’s hand now. She patted his hand gently, sending ‘I’m here for you! It’s Okay’ sign to him which he received immediately.

After explaining about team zero from National Intelligence, the chief gave another information they needed to know.

“Second one, the government already got some candidates for Minister of National Defense. They are Air Force Chief Kim Yongnam, General Choi Pilsook, and Lieutenant General Kang Jinho.”

“WHAT?!” BM was shocked and accidentally shared his thought a little too loud. Actually, almost all the meeting members were taken aback as well.

“How can they already talk about the candidates?!” Another person finally braced himself to ask.

“Because they knew this was going to happen.” The Chief finally answered the question in everyone’s mind, “Listen. We haven’t known the rat, but I think all of you already realized how fishy this is and the rat might be in National Defense Organizations. Could be from among of us, or National Intelligence, or Military Service, or Cops. And this is the mission. For this mission, I need several agents to check up on different subjects. All of you need to meet me in office after this, one by one. None of you can speak about the mission you get to anyone, even to your comrades. Are we clear?”

“Yes, Chief.” All the people answered in unity.

                After an hour of waiting, Daisy finally got her turn to meet the Chief personally. The Chief didn’t say anything to her, even after she already stood up in front of him for minutes. She was too afraid to initiate the talk, so she was patiently waiting. The Chief finally looked at her eyes before looked back into Daisy’s profile in his hand.

“So... Agent Minhyuk talked about you a lot before,” the moment he opened his mouth was the moment he cut Daisy’s heart into pieces. She didn’t want to succumb into sorrow right now, not in front of the chief. “He said you are the only one he could trust in here. Eventho I’ve told him that we should never trust anyone, even if it’s our comrade. Minhyuk never ignore my advice but he ignored this one. He told me, if anything happens to him in this mission, I should give this to you.” The Chief suddenly gave Daisy a locked box. “I never open it. This only belongs to you. And he asked me to give the final mission to you.” Daisy received the box and the key before looking at The Chief again.

“Your mission is...” The Chief sighed before continuing his words, “Find our suspected rats. Unit Zero.”

Daisy widened her eyes. That was a big deal, really big deal and the hardest mission. But thinking about Minhyuk’s death was like a fuel. She tossed away all uncertainty and nodded her head.

“I’ll definitely find them, Chief.” She answered with low tone.

“Remember, your mission is only to find and get information about them, not fighting them. Do not cross your boundaries! Don’t try to take them down just because of hatred. Are we clear?!” The Chief made clear, telling Daisy to keep her composure and try to control herself even if she had to meet the one who responsible of Minhyuk’s death. Daisy nodded after taking a deep breath.

“Yes, Chief.” And that day, Daisy was officially pointed to find Unit Zero.

 

And.. the story begins..