final

after all these years

Baekhyun stopped in his tracks, a churning feeling slowly fills his stomach and his heart starts beating rapidly. He blinks his eyes in disbelief as he looks at the overfamiliar man standing 10 feet away from him. The man stylisly pulls off the comma hairstyle and his formal wear makes him look more handsome than ever. Baekhyun notes that this man got women and men stealing glances at him as he walks past them, walking into the building’s coffee shop and towards him.

 

After all these years, he still makes my heart skips a beat.

 

Baekhyun tightens his grip on his paper cup filled with Americano, a troubled expression visible on his face as he questions himself.

 

Why? Why does it still beat this fast when it has been so long since I’ve seen him?

 

The taller man immediately notices Baekhyun, a surprised look on his face. Baekhyun couldn’t help but to think that the expression on the taller man’s face shows that he was actually hoping to see him around. He smiles at Baekhyun and lifts his hand up.

 

“Baekhyun?”, the man greets him.

 

Park Chanyeol.

 

A friend, a fellow university batchmate, a crush throughout his university years and also Baekhyun’s one night stand.

 

“H-Hey, Chanyeol.”, Baekhyun greets back, trying so hard not to sound awkward. He also wants to slap himself for stuttering and he feels his cheeks getting hot.

 

Oh god, I probably look beet red now.

 

“What a surprise. It’s been…five or six years since I last saw you at our graduation ceremony?”, Chanyeol says, his eyes fixated on Baekhyun’s and a smile on his face.

 

“Uhh, yeah? it’s been so long”, Baekhyun pulls the back of his neck, his voice getting inaudible towards the end. He looks away from Chanyeol’s eyes. “Umm, listen. I’m in a hurry, I can’t talk long. It was nice meeting you again, Chanyeol.”

 

Are you sure about the last sentence?

 

Baekhyun mentally curses at himself. He was not being sincere at all and he feels helpless when he feels his heart beating faster as he mentions Chanyeol’s name.

 

“Oh”, Chanyeol presses his lips, looking disheartened for a split second before he cracks a smile at Baekhyun. “You should get going then.”

 

What-Is he disappointed?

 

Baekhyun excuses himself, walking past Chanyeol and turns around when Chanyeol calls his name.

 

“Your number, is it still the same?”, Chanyeol asks to which Baekhyun nodded.

 

 

Chanyeol smiles and waves goodbye to him. “Great. See you around.”

 

Baekhyun gives him a small smile and walks out of the coffee shop. Baekhyun could feel Chanyeol’s gaze on him. He takes a small look into the coffee shop through the big glass window and instantly regrets it. Chanyeol was still looking at him and Baekhyun looks away in embarrassment when Chanyeol smiles back at him, catching Baekhyun looking at him.

 

 

 

Baekhyun looks at his watch. 7:15pm. His colleagues have left the office and he was the only one working overtime on a Friday night. He leans against his office chair and stretches his arms, scrunching his face.

 

It’s a Friday, yet I’m still here. Pathetic.

 

Baekhyun lets out a quiet sigh and looks at the research materials sprawled on his table. Pictures and informations about non-mainstream holiday sites he researched for his report for the upcoming reality travel show his company was producing. He could not focus on his report thanks to a certain someone whom he bumped into this morning. Baekhyun ruffles his hairs and lets out a frustrating moan. He was very disturbed at the fact that he was still bothered by Chanyeol.

 

Why was Chanyeol here?

 

What did Chanyeol meant by “See you around”?

 

Baekhyun decided it was best for him to leave the office since he was not being productive and he wants to sleep. He grabs his briefcase after putting on his coat and heads towards the lift. He pushes the down button and waits for the lift to stop on his floor. Baekhyun hears a soft ‘Ding’ and waits for the door to open. For some reason, Baekhyun feels nervous and he doesn’t know why until he looks into the lift.

 

No. Please no. Not again.

 

Baekhyun stays frozen on his spot.

 

“Oh hey, I’m seeing you a lot today.”, Chanyeol says, the same heart throbbing smile which Baekhyun wants to wipe off his undeniably handsome face.

 

Baekhyun stays on his spot, he’s not sure if he should enter the lift.

 

The lift door starts to close and Chanyeol presses the open button. “Aren’t you getting in?”, Baekhyun hears Chanyeol’s low voice, laced with concern.

 

“I guess I should.”, Baekhyun clears his throat and steps into the lift.

 

“Have you eaten?”, Chanyeol breaks the silence.

 

“No.”, Baekhyun answers.

 

“Do you want to have dinner together?”

 

“Actually, I’m not hungry-“, Baekhyun stops when he hears his stomach growl. It was loud.

 

There was a moment of awkward silence. Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun, holding back his laughter. “I think your stomach disagrees with you.”

 

 

 

 

“Two Shrimp Udons and one serving of spicy rice cakes please.”, Chanyeol orders.

 

Baekhyun gives Chanyeol a surprised look. “I don’t remember you handling spicy food well.”

 

“The spicy rice cakes was for you. It’ll take some time for the Udons to come. There’s a long line there.”

 

“Oh.”, Baekhyun's face turns crimson.

 

“You still remember my palate?”, Chanyeol teases him and Baekhyun wants to hide in a hole. Chanyeol has his elbow on the table, his fist supporting his chin as he looks at Baekhyun.

 

“So, uhh, why were you at company?”, Baekhyun asks, avoiding Chanyeol’s eyes as he pours the barley tea into his cup.

 

“Oh, I got an offer to join a reality travel program as the junior creative producer. I’m starting next week. I came here to settle some paperwork with the administration department.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen into the size of saucers. “XYZ program??”

 

“Yeah! It sounds like an interesting program. I went through the materials and decided to join. I guess we’ll be seeing each other a lot.”, Chanyeol smiles at him.

 

Damn! It’s that smile again, why is he always smiling?!

 

“Uhh…yeah…”, Baekhyun lets out a half-hearted chuckle.

 

 

 

 

That same night, Chanyeol lies on his bed as he looks at his phone. He hears a soft ‘ding’ and Jongin’s name appeared beside the message emoticon.

 

Me: I met him today, Jongin. Thanks.

Jongin: Nah, I just happened to hear about the opening in the program from a junior. You should be thanking Chaerin.

Me: I will when I see her.

Jongin: That’s great news. We’re rooting for you. Update us!

Me: I will, hahaha, say hi to Kyungsoo for me!

 

Chanyeol exits the messaging application and opens his phone gallery. He finds a picture of Baekhyun and him at their faculty retreat program. They both posed a V in the picture, with paint on their cheeks and vests.

 

“H-Hey, aren’t we friends?”, Baekhyun keeps his guards up. He slowly retreats from Chanyeol.

 

“Oh, come on Baekhyun. You’re not going to pull that card here aren’t you?’, Chanyeol sharpens his gaze on Baekhyun, his gun facing Baekhyun’s direction.

 

“Don’t! I barely made it to level three-”, Baekhyun cries out but Chanyeol just smirks.

 

Baekhyun hears a bang sound and he was struck by the paint bullet. A bright red blotch of paint was on his vest. He looks at Chanyeol in disbelief.

 

“Chanyeol!”, Baekhyun looked betrayed.

 

“It wasn’t me!”, Chanyeol defended himself, a bewildered expression on his face.

 

“What were you waiting for, Chanyeol?”, Jongin taps Chanyeol’s back, walking past them and up the hill to continue the game.

 

“You were in this together!”, Baekhyun accuses and walks away from Chanyeol. “Our friendship ends here.”, Baekhyun sticks his tongue out at Chanyeol. Baekhyun was embarrassed by that move but he doesn’t care.

 

“Hey, it wasn’t!”, Chanyeol running after Baekhyun, laughing out loud. He pulls Baekhyun into a headlock, tickling Baekhyun.

 

“Ack!! Okay, okay! Let me go now!”, Baekhyun laughs, squirming his body.

 

Chanyeol’s smile gets wider at the thought of running into Baekhyun that morning. He puts his forearm over his eyes and he lets out a chuckle. His cheeks were warm and he feels giddy, like a child getting candy.

 

After all these years, Byun Baekhyun still gives him butterflies.

 

Nothing has changed.

 

 

***

 

 

It has been two weeks since Chanyeol started working with the XYZ team and the crews quickly warmed up to Chanyeol who was bright, friendly and extremely great at his work. Chanyeol’s presence was like a breath of fresh air to the crew and Baekhyun had to admit that Chanyeol’s addition to the team motivated him to do better.

 

“So, Baekhyun, you’ll be heading to the Busan strawberry farm and cultural village this weekend for site inspection?”, Producer Na (the main producer of the show) flips through Baekhyun’s report.

 

“Yes, sir. I think the location is pretty good and it is in accordance with our theme, nature and healing.”, Baekhyun answers.

 

“Very well. Chaerin will you go with Baekhyun for site inspection?”

 

“I’m sorry, Producer Na. I’m unable to follow Baekhyun as it clashes with the meeting with our show guests.”, Chaerin, the junior writer says. “However, I managed to find Chanyeol as a replacement. He is willing to go.”

 

“Yes, sir.”, Chanyeol answers, a little too enthusiastic for Baekhyun's liking.

 

Baekhyun flinches when he hears Chanyeol will be following him for site inspection. He glances at Chanyeol to find Chanyeol already looking at him with a grin and a playful head tilt.

 

“Oh, great. Chanyeol, you’ll learn a lot from each other. Baekhyun, is that okay?”, Producer Na, looks at Baekhyun.

 

“Okay, sir.”

 

Do I even have a choice?

 

“Great, it’s settled then. Take lots of videos and pictures. Enjoy and take care.”

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun is seated on the floor of his room. He gives one last look at his luggage, making sure he leaves nothing out.

 

He’s going on a two days-one night site inspection with Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun draws his knees closer to his chest and he hugs his legs, his forehead leaning against his knees. A lot has happened between Chanyeol and him for the past two weeks and they were nothing but glimmer of hopes that Chanyeol still likes him. Chanyeol and Baekhyun taking turns buying coffee for one another, occasionally eating lunch or dinner together and having small talks, Chanyeol walking Baekhyun back to his apartment. It feels like their university years all over again and the idea of Chanyeol welcoming him with open arms, loving him is nothing more than wishful thinking.

 

Loud music boomed across the building and the neon lights blinded his eyes. Baekhyun has had enough of the dance floor and he feels his legs slowly turning into jelly. It was their graduation party and Baekhyun made sure he wanted to party hard. He deserved it for studying so hard and being able to graduate with great results. He makes his way up to the rooftop, staggering along the way up. He opens the rooftop door and the cool night breeze grazes his face. The city lights were so beautiful and the moon was shining brightly.

 

“This is perfect for a can of beer.”, Baekhyun grins. He stealthily makes his way to the wooden bench in the middle of the rooftop and he sees a very familiar back.

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

The taller slightly jumps and turns around warily, a cigarette in his mouth, but relief washes over him when he sees Baekhyun.

 

“What are you doing here?”, Baekhyun asks, opening the can of beer in his hand after he settles down on the wooden bench.

 

Chanyeol takes his last puff, immediately puts out the cigarette and takes up his half-empty can of beer, taking a seat beside Baekhyun.

 

“It was getting stuffy inside.”, Chanyeol sips his beer.

 

There was a comfortable silence between them until Baekhyun says “All the four years, I enjoyed university and a lot of my happy days were with you.”

 

Chanyeol turns to look at Baekhyun, his expression wistful.

 

“Baekhyun.”, Chanyeol’s voice was serious. Chanyeol slowly intertwines his fingers with Baekhyun’s. “I don’t want to be friends. I want us to be more than friends.”

 

Baekhyun just keeps quiet.

 

“I want to kiss you.”, Chanyeol says softly.

 

Chanyeol scooches over, closing the gap between them. He caresses Baekhyun’s cheeks, leaning forward and Baekhyun finds himself closing his eyes, mouth slightly parting for the kiss and when their lips met, Baekhyun felt sparks flying everywhere. Baekhyun tensed up and fists the hem of Chanyeol’s shirt. It was frightening Baekhyun that he wanted more and it triggered something inside Baekhyun.

 

Lust.

 

Chanyeol’s lips eagerly parts, capturing every corner of Baekhyun’s lips. The kiss was soft but Baekhyun feels the waves of intense longing and desire. Baekhyun’s hands travelled along Chanyeol’s torso, back, shoulder and neck. Chanyeol softly grazes his lips along Baekhyun’s jaw and neck.

 

Chanyeol rests his head on the crook of Baekhyun’s neck, with a steady breath he says “Tell me to stop if you want to.”

 

Baekhyun knows he needs to stop. He should. He must. He wasn’t ready to go beyond friends. He wasn’t ready to be in a relationship with Chanyeol. They were going their separate ways. Chanyeol is leaving for Japan for his new job while Baekhyun is remaining in Korea. All these questions but Baekhyun can’t bring himself to say no. He’s distracted by Chanyeol’s breathing against his skin.

 

“Don’t stop.” Baekhyun whispers softly, his fingers tracing along Chanyeol’s jaw, knowing they he’ll regret his decision.

 

The next day, Baekhyun finds Chanyeol sleeping beside him, both of them unclothed in a hotel room. He quickly dresses up and leaves a note beside the sleeping figure and quietly exits the room.

 

I’m sorry. I can’t.

 

Baekhyun sighs quietly, curled up in his bed. He’s still in love with Chanyeol but he thinks it would be shameless of him to hope that Chanyeol still likes him when he had rejected him in the first place.

 

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol, you’re supposed to take pictures of the surroundings. Not me.”, Baekhyun adjusts his camera lens. “And don’t say the same old “You are the view” . I’m not buying it.”

 

Baekhyun had earlier looked at Chanyeol’s camera and almost 80% of the pictures had Baekhyun in it. Baekhyun finds himself smiling at the thought of the pictures in Chanyeol’s camera. However, he doesn't want his pictures to be in the report. Though he sounded annoyed, Baekhyun was anything but annoyed. In fact, he liked it. He really liked it. 

 

Cute.

 

“I am taking pictures of the view. And you just happen to be in it.”, Chanyeol interrupts Baekhyun’s thoughts, causing Baekhyun to stop smiling. Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol’s direction. The taller was looking for a good angle as he shifts his position. Baekhyun faces his camera at Chanyeol and the latter puts his camera down, grins at Baekhyun and poses a ‘V’ for the camera.

 

Baekhyun shakes his head and sighs. “C’mon, we need to head to the strawberry farm. It might rain if we don’t hurry.”

 

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol starts walking along the countryside road. The scenery was breathtaking. The green paddy fields and the clear blue streams were a blessing to their eyes. It was a rare sight in Seoul and everything was so peaceful. Baekhyun feels calm and he enjoys the cool country breeze blowing his face until he feels something warm in his hand. A pink tinge colours his cheeks and his heart starts to throb with bliss. He finds Chanyeol’s fingers intertwined with his. He looks up to Chanyeol only to find the latter looking at another direction, keeping quiet.

 

His ears are so red.

 

Baekhyun did not pull his hand away. In fact, he likes it. He likes it a lot.

 

Do we stand a chance? He said the last time he saw me was at the graduation party…so he doesn’t remember that night? If he did, he would’ve contacted me, won’t he?

 

Baekhyun’s face goes beet red at the thought of that night.

 

Baekhyun sees the owner of the strawberry farm coming out from his farm entrance. Baekhyun breaks his hand away and rushes towards the old man.

 

“Mr. Kim!”, Baekhyun waves at the elderly man. Chanyeol pouts, immediately missing Baekhyun beside him.

 

“Oh, young man!”, the elderly man welcomes them.

 

“Hello, Mr. Kim. I’m Baekhyun and this is my colleague, Chanyeol. We’re here to see the strawberry farm for site inspection before filming takes place!.”, Baekhyun introduces themselves to the strawberry farm owner.

 

“Welcome, and why do you both look so red?”, Mr. Kim asks.

 

Baekhyun blushes furiously and lets out an awkward laugh “It must be the weather.” Baekhyun glances at Chanyeol, signaling him to back him up.

 

“O-Oh, Mr. Kim, it’s really hot today.”, Chanyeol plays along, forcing a laughter out and he fans himself with his hand.

 

“It’s cloudy today, though. There’s the cool breeze too.”, Mr. Kim looks at Chanyeol, genuinely concerned for them. “I’ll bring out some cold water for you two.”

 

“Ah, Mr. Kim, can we see the farm today?”, Baekhyun changes the topic to which the farm owner nods his head, smiling.

 

“Walk straight in and you’ll see the boots I’ve prepared at the shed. Meanwhile, I’ll go get some refreshments for you two.”, the old man starts walking away.

 

Baekhyun lets out a relieved sigh and Chanyeol starts laughing.

 

“Shut up.”, Baekhyun starts walking towards the farm, leaving Chanyeol behind.

 

“You’re cute!”, Chanyeol hollers as he runs towards Baekhyun.

 

“Shut up!.”, Baekhyun quickens his pace, not looking back at Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

They both took some pictures and videos of the strawberry farm for their report. Mr. Kim allowed them to pick some strawberries for themselves.

 

“It looks like it’ll rain soon, kids.”, Mr. Kim says as he looking up at the dark clouds.

 

“We have enough materials for our report. Thank you for the strawberries too, Mr. Kim.”, Baekhyun smiles as he thanked the elderly man.

 

“My pleasure. My wife has prepared dinner and she should be setting it up for you two at the homestay. It’s almost 7pm.”

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol thanked the elderly man before they left the farm.

 

“Let me take your camera since you’re carrying the strawberries.”, Baekhyun takes the camera off around Chanyeol’s neck and carefully places it into the camera bag.

 

“Thanks.” Chanyeol thanked Baekhyun and the latter smiles.

 

Along the way to their homestay, it started pouring heavily and thankfully, they were not to far from it.

 

“Not too wet. It’s a great thing we left quickly.”, Chanyeol brushes the tip of his hair, attempting to dry it.

 

“That was fun.”, Baekhyun chuckles, wiping his face and neck with a small towel.

 

They both sit on the patio after washing their hands and legs, looking at the rain pour. There is a comfortable silence between them and the air was light.

 

“I remember.”, Chanyeol breaks the silence.

 

Baekhyun turns to look at him.

 

“I remember that night.”, Chanyeol says again as he looks into Baekhyun’s eyes. “I remember all the little details.”

 

Baekhyun knows very well what Chanyeol was saying.

 

“That’s a relief.”, Baekhyun calmly answers him, a smile graces his face, his eyes twinkling. Chanyeol wasn’t sure if it was tears or it was just Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

Baekhyun knew that he was not ready to be in a stable relationship. He was not ready to give up being friends.

 

“You what?!”, Kyungsoo widened his eyes.

 

“We slept together. At the night of our graduation party.”, Baekhyun pulls the back of his neck. “We were not drunk. I mean we had a couple of drinks but we were not drunk.”, Baekhyun stresses that point. “I want him but I’m not sure of it. I’m not ready for it.”

 

“Oh, Baek.”, Kyungsoo pulls him into an embrace.

 

“I’m not ready for it but I slept with him. I’m the worst, Soo. How am I going to face him?”, his tone was bitter and tears streamed down his face. “I’m just hoping he doesn’t remembers it. I can’t face him, Soo. I’m really the worst.”

 

“Baekhyun, I just want to let you know that I was always ready for you and I’ll wait for you. No matter how long, I’ll wait. I’ll always welcome you with open arms. I figured you didn’t want me to contact you based on your note and how I woke up without you next to me.”, Chanyeol holds Baekhyun’s hands. “Please do not be pressured.”, Chanyeol hurrily adds. He didn’t mean to pressure Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun gets up and throws himself onto Chanyeol, clinging onto the taller man.

 

“You waited.”, Baekhyun whispered, his eyes closed.

 

“Always.”, Chanyeol tightened his arms around Baekhyun’s waist.

 

“I like you.”, Baekhyun confesses. “I still like you. After all these years, I still do.” Baekhyun caresses Chanyeol’s face and presses a soft kiss on his lips. Baekhyun smiles, tears rolling down on his cheeks. “You’re still the same, Yeol.”

 

Chanyeol cups Baekhyun’s face, pulling him into a deep longing kiss. He misses Baekhyun terribly and every kiss with him gets deeper and more passionate. Chanyeol’s lips moves against his over and over but Baekhyun realizes they were making out in the patio and that there is a possibility that Mr. Kim or his wife will come to check on them.

 

“Y-Yeol.”, Baekhyun breaks the kiss, gasping for air. Baekhyun was blushing madly. He avoids eye contact with Chanyeol and he covers his red face. “I-I think we’ll have a lot of time for that. We're at the patio.”

 

Chanyeol just laughs and pulls Baekhyun into a hug and Baekhyun kisses Chanyeol’s chin and he lays his head against Chanyeol’s chest, both in contentment. The rain had stopped, it was a brief shower.

 

“I think our dinner is going to be cold.”, Baekhyun said and Chanyeol looks over to the foldable table set up by Mrs Kim.

 

“Five more minutes-“, Chanyeol says but Baekhyun hurrily distance themselves upon hearing a loud voice. They see Mrs. Kim approaching them with a tray in her hands.

 

“Young man! I have some fresh diced radish for you!”, Mrs. Kim squeals excitedly. Baekhyun quickly gets up and brushes his shirt.

 

“Mrs. Kim, don’t run! I’ll come over!”

 

Chanyeol blushes and starts chuckling when he hears Mrs. Kim asking why was Baekhyun so red when it just rained. Chanyeol just looks at Baekhyun with pure adoration.

 

It really is worth the wait.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


ehehhehehe lmao sorry enjoy! i was listening to exo-wait while writing this

Do subscribe and comment guys, i love reading your comments.