you're like a sweet dream

like I'm hypnotized, I'm drawn closer

The only actual time Yuta despised his job at Claire’s was when a group of middle schoolers came bustling in—all excited chatter and overcrowding the tightly packed store—looking but never really buying anything unless it was to use their ‘buy 3 get 3 free’ deal, which annoyed him to no end. And he always knew they’d go home with more than just three items but chose to turn a blind’s eye every now and then, not like he hasn’t taken a few pieces for himself and written it off as stolen merch. He might be subjected to the hell that is retail work, but he also knew how to work around the system to benefit himself.

 

Luckily, today he wasn’t dealing with that kind of torment and instead was currently doing his favorite task; piercing ears for a first timer.

 

Usually the process was quick and easy to do, but Yuta made the mistake to absentmindedly look out the window while the mother-daughter duo discussed the daughter’s choice of earrings to get, in that moment Yuta’s eyes happened to fall upon on what he considered to be a modern deity.

 

The person in question was Lee Taeyong, the new Hot Topic employee, who was currently putting out new merch on the store’s display window. He had only been working there a week so far but easily captured Yuta’s attention right off the bat. Hard not to when his face looked to be sculpted by gods themselves; all sharp angles and features with a killer jawline and god did he forget to mention Taeyong had these cute, doe-like eyes that—

 

“…Sir?”

 

Yuta drew his eyes away from the enticing sight and back to the frowning mother and waiting daughter. “I-ah, yes?” he stumbles, realizing embarrassingly how out of breath he sounded and ignored the snickering from the counter behind him. He resisted the urge to flip off his coworker and flashed a big smile at the customers instead.

 

“We’re ready to get started,” the mother says, tone clipped and not pleased at his distracted state.

 

Yuta nodded and set to work on cleaning the girl’s earlobes with an alcohol wipe and then placing reference dots before reaching for the piercing gun and disinfecting it.

 

Chancing another glance across, Yuta nearly choked, the piercing gun limp in his hand, as Taeyong made eye contact with him and smiled sweetly with a small wave.

 

Pretty…

 

Yuta almost panics at the passing thought, feeling his knees buckle dangerously but he’s able to compose himself without dropping the gun, smiling back at Taeyong and quickly returning his focus back on the task at hand, fighting the blush that threatens to cover his face.

 

Afterwards, while Jaemin rings them up, Yuta dares a look again, but Taeyong has moved from his place at the display window and is now folding t-shirts at the front table, his back facing Yuta.

 

Yuta’s shoulders sag a little in disappointment, a small sigh escaping his lips, and goes back to working on whatever boring tasks needed attending around the store.

 

✿✿✿✿

 

How this… interest (in no way was Yuta going to call it a crush, at least not in front of anyone) in Taeyong came to be all started at the beginning of the week.

 

 

The day had been a normal one for the employees of Claire’s. Customers walked in; customers walked out. Yuta would answer a question, complete a purchase, pierce ears that were scheduled for the day, check his phone for the time or respond to messages from the group chat and repeat.

 

Around 2 PM, the store was empty except for the three working there. Kunhang, a sweet but oddball of a guy, was currently checking inventory in the back, while Jaemin, who Yuta knew as a friend of Donghyuck and Mark’s, was currently on cashier duty. Yuta was with Jaemin in the front and spent it basically staring at the store’s entrance and praying no one walked in so they wouldn’t have to do their job.

 

Considering the time, Yuta wasn’t surprised for the lack of customers and was thankful for that. Glancing at the Hot Topic across from them, he was in no way jealous of how busy the dark store looked to be nor the reason why.  

 

“Wow,” Jaemin mused, popping up at Yuta’s shoulder, “We never get that much traffic over here, not even for the 3 for 3.”

 

“Yeah…” Yuta trailed off. Taking notice of a guy around his age greeting customers as they walked into the crowding store, all seeming to pause momentarily then smile shyly at him in return. Though he was a distance away, Yuta could see every detail on his face, and something about the strawberry pink hair and kind smile had transfixed Yuta.

 

“Yuta?” Jaemin called, bringing Yuta back to their empty store. “What are you staring at?”

 

Yuta blinked, realizing he had been looking at the guy far longer than normal. Flustered, he looked at Jaemin and blurted, “What? I’m not staring at anyone!”

 

Jaemin glanced at the store then back at Yuta with a raised eyebrow, a sly grin spreading across his face. “I asked you what you’re staring at. Not who. Wait, Yuta, why are you blushing?”

 

“I’m not blushing!” Yuta’s voice rose an octave higher.

 

Jaemin laughed, which caused Yuta’s face to flush a deeper red. Without saying a word, Jaemin leaned over to see Yuta’s line of view. “Are you staring at him?” he pointed directly at the pink boy, who was talking to a customer and showing them to a line of clothing racks further inside the store.

 

Yuta slapped Jaemin’s arm away, almost shouting. “No! Stop that, you can’t just point at people, Jaemin!” He looked at his coworker, who was shaking from holding in laughter. Yuta let out a breath, “It’s almost 3, I’m going on my break.” Moving out from behind the counter, Yuta shot the group chat a message and stalked out the store, leaving Jaemin alone and very amused.

 

Kunhang came to the front not long after and stood alongside Jaemin, curious of the happy gleam on his face. “What happened?”

 

Jaemin grinned, pulling his phone up to send Donghyuck a message. “Yuta’s got a crush.”

 

 

By the time Yuta made his way over to the Starbucks inside the Barnes & Noble at the end of the floor he worked on, Johnny already had his drink waiting for him at their unofficial-official table.

 

“So what’s the emergency? It’s rare to see an SOS from you,” Johnny asked once Yuta sat down. Being an employee at Starbucks, he was usually the one waiting on his friends to arrive in between their breaks to chat and get their coffee fix.

 

Yuta took a few sips of his iced americano before speaking, “the Hot Topic has a new employee.”

 

“Oh?” Johnny perked up in his seat. “Does someone got themselves a little crush?” he teased, noting the small amount of pink staining Yuta’s cheeks.

 

Yuta made a face. Crush. Could it even be called that? Yes, Yuta could admit he was weak when it came to a pretty face, but he knew next to nothing about the other except that he’s possibly the most beautiful guy to ever exist.   

 

Not liking the amusement on Johnny’s face, Yuta scowled and looked away. “Like you’re one to talk! How are things going with pretzel boy, huh? He still using dirty pick-up lines on you?”

 

Johnny eyes widened and goes to counter Yuta about the aforementioned male when another voice joins in, “Pretzel boy? A Hot Topic hottie? Are you guys keeping things from me now?” Jungwoo looked between the two curiously as he plopped down on the only other available seat with a pout.

 

“Considering that you were recently caught by Yukhei cutting off the heads of stuffed animals by the dumpster like an actual serial killer, yeah, I think we have a right to.”

 

“Hey!” Jungwoo hit Yuta’s arm while Johnny attempted to conceal his laughter. “You don’t think I know how morally wrong that is? It’s company policy, though, so I just swallow my guilt down each time I do it.” He shook his head regretfully, despite knowing that they’re inanimate objects with no feelings. It was the one flaw Jungwoo found working at Build-A-Bear. “You should have seen Shotaro’s face the first time he had to, poor kid.”

 

“I get having to actually destroy the damaged product before throwing it away, but does your whole process have to look like actual murder while doing it?”

 

Jungwoo shot Johnny a warning glare. “Quiet or I won’t let you get early access to any new arrivals that come in from now on.”

 

Johnny brought a hand to his chest, eyes glinting in what could either be amusement or fear; Yuta wasn’t sure which one. “Okay, okay. Let’s get back to Yuta’s crush.”

 

“It’s not a crush!” Yuta corrects, eyes narrowing. “And don’t think I haven’t forgotten about you and pretzel boy either.”

 

Johnny waved him off, “We can talk about Ten later. Your break isn’t that long,” he reminded him.

 

Yuta leaned back in his seat with his drink, nibbling on the straw. “Fine,” he concedes. “There’s not much to tell other than the guy is beyond gorgeous. You’ll see for yourselves soon enough.”  

 

Johnny and Jungwoo share a dubious look, not at all convinced by Yuta’s sudden cool demeanor. They both knew Yuta well enough to know he isn’t the type to act dismissive with his feelings, in both his dating and life aspects, because he was always certain about what he wants and acts on it to make it a reality and not a dream to chase. Whoever this newcomer was seemed to leave quite the impression on Yuta if he had their friend faltering with his decision to pursue him.

 

“Okaaay,” Jungwoo drawls out. “So what’s the plan?”

 

Yuta quirks an eyebrow at him. “The plan?”

 

“Yeah, you’re going to ask him out, right?”

 

“Wh-What?” Yuta sputtered, the pink returning to his cheeks.

 

“Oh c’mon, Yuta.” Jungwoo rolls his eyes. “Are you telling me we’re here to talk about Hot Topic hottie once and be done with it? That doesn’t sound like you at all.”

 

Johnny hummed his agreement, lips curling upward as Yuta fidgets in his seat under both their scrutinizing gazes. “He’s got a point.” 

 

“I hadn’t really thought that far…” Yuta muttered at last.

 

“Well you could start by getting his name. I’m sure that won’t be hard for you,” Jungwoo challenges with a raised brow. “Like Johnny here with this Ten guy.”

 

Johnny’s face smoothed down to a genuine smile at the mention of the other. “I guess we can talk a little about that.”

 

Yuta couldn’t be happier the attention was off him for the moment and sat forward to listen to Johnny while sipping the rest of his drink contently.

 

 

On his way back, Yuta decided it couldn’t hurt to get a name and was working up the courage to go to the Hot Topic, maybe make some small talk with Jisung if he was working today, and then introduce himself to the new guy when he heard someone speak behind him.

 

“You work at the Claire’s across, right?” asked a soft voice.

 

Yuta stumbled in his footing and he ended up running face first into one of the plotted plants lining the hallways of the mall. “Ow, !” he exclaimed, stepping back and holding where he stubbed his nose.

 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” the voice was much closer this time, and Yuta whirled around ready to snap at whomever startled him but stopped at the sight of strawberry pink hair. “I didn’t mean to scare you. Are you okay?” The Hot Topic employee’s big, shiny eyes looked at him concerned as he waited for Yuta’s response.

 

They’re so pretty… Yuta thought. Wait, no, not the time! Focus, don’t just stand there like an idiot, answer his question!

 

“Oh, yeah, I’m fine! I just wasn’t expecting anyone to talk to me,” he laughs, but it sounds forced and awkward, even to his ears. So, recalling the other’s earlier question, Yuta smiled and asked, “I do. How’d you know?”

 

The Hot Topic employee looked relieved, shoulders relaxing as he breathed out a sigh. “That’s good, I’m really sorry. I’ll keep in mind not to sneak up on you again.” He rubbed the back of his neck and gestured to Yuta’s own, “and you’re wearing a purple lanyard that says ‘Claire’s’ all over it.”

 

Yuta peered down, realizing he had neglected to remove the lanyard when he had stormed out earlier. “Ah,” he let out a short laugh. “I guess I forgot to take it off.” He looked up just in time to see the guy smile. A bright, happy, and endearingly cute smile that simultaneously had Yuta gone and made him want to continue to be the reason to receive such a smile.

 

The two stood in a slightly off-putting silence for a few beats too long until Taeyong, still smiling, cleared his throat. “Well, I better get going. I’m Taeyong and I work across from you at the Hot Topic, stop by anytime.”

 

“Right, I need to too—get back to work, I mean.” Yuta nodded mindlessly and beamed a smile at Taeyong. “I’m Yuta by the way.”

 

Taeyong grinned pleasantly and said, “Nice to meet you, Yuta. I’ll see you around.” Then he turned and walked toward the escalators that led to where the food court was located above, leaving Yuta feeling like a pile of goo but with a wide grin on his face.

 

 

Returning back to the store, Yuta doesn’t have much time to think about how cool of a name Taeyong (Taeyong!) is and how well it suits him, the high of his encounter fading once he noticed there were now more people in the store than when he had left, but Jaemin and Kunhang were handling it.

 

“Jaemin says you have a crush,” Kunhang hummed conversationally as Yuta approached him.

 

“Wha—I do not!”

 

Kunhang nodded, doubtful, “Okay, okay. You don’t have to be so defensive. I was just telling you what he said.” Instead of waiting for a response, Kunhang walked back to the counter where a group of girls were waiting to make a purchase, and left Yuta alone. He felt his face grow warm, and although no one was around, he hid it in his hands.

 

So maybe it was a crush, who cares, it probably wouldn’t amount to anything.

 

✿✿✿✿

 

Presently, since Taeyong’s employment at Hot Topic, Yuta had talked to him about a handful of times, all in passing though. It turned out he was a friend of Doyoung’s and had been previously working at the GameStop on the other side of the mall which is why Yuta had never seen him until recently.

 

“I did it at first just to get ahead of everyone else and preorder the new Animal Crossing game,” Taeyong admitted with a shy laugh, and had Yuta wanting to swallow nails to stop himself from cooing at the other. “But I ended up staying there for a while. At least until I found a replacement and now I’m here.”

 

Taeyong had told him when Yuta asked if he was new to the mall. He had to admit, that was a good tactic and did gain Taeyong a few extra freebies.

 

 

When Yuta’s shift was finally done for the day, he clocked out with Jaemin and waved goodbye to Kunhang who was responsible for closing. Jaemin went on ahead of Yuta, heading to the Journeys on the second floor where Jeno worked to wait out the rest of his shift.

 

Walking out, Yuta paused. Taeyong was standing in between the two stores they worked at, phone in hand, and as soon as Yuta came into his peripheral view, he smiled at him.

 

“Hey,” Taeyong greeted with a friendly wave.

 

“Taeyong, hey!” Yuta smiled in return, unable to hide how happy he was at seeing the other. It was a first for them to get off at the same time; Taeyong’s schedule had yet to be finalized so he was working whatever shifts they put him on. Closing the remaining distance, he pointed to the exit access down the end of the hall from them. “Going in the same direction?”

 

Taeyong dipped his head, “Yep,” the ‘p’ at the end making a popping noise with his lips.

 

Yuta had to physically hold himself back from letting any sounds slip out and simply hummed, shifting his backpack to the other shoulder.

 

They fell into step together, watching the other stores close up around them as they walked through the mall. One perk of working at a bow-infested, preteen centered store was that they closed an hour earlier than everyone else; something that Yuta rubbed in his friend’s faces every time they had a lunch break together.

 

Yuta flicked the forehead of a tall mall security lingering around the Build-A-Bear on his Segway. Considering the smile on both their faces, Taeyong assumed they were friends and continued on. Though his pace slowed down as they went past the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, eyeing some of the displayed sweets longingly. Yuta made a mental note to buy him something from there sometime. Johnny had mentioned offhandedly about Taeyong coming in and buying an absurd amount of sweets in between his breaks and could only assume he had a sweet tooth. Cute.

 

“So how was your first week?” Yuta decided to break the silence after a while and ask.

 

Taeyong shrugged but smiled, “As you’d expect as a fellow retail worker. Not bad, nothing great either.”

 

“Enough to keep you busy and engaged, but not stressful to the point you want to quit every shift?”

 

Taeyong laughed, and Yuta does not think it’s the prettiest sound he’s ever heard. “Exactly,” he agreed.

 

They spend a few more minutes making small talk, finding common ground among some topics till they reach the exit door. By the time they step out into the parking lot, the sky has been painted in a pleasant blend of pinks, purples and orange.

 

Yuta recognized his bike not far from them and turned to Taeyong, who was rummaging in his bag for his car keys. “Are you working tomorrow?”    

 

“Yeah, same time as today,” Taeyong answered, picking his head up, keys now secured in his hand. “They finally gave me my official schedule.”

 

“That’s great! I am too, I’ll see you then.” Yuta grinned and opened his backpack to pull out his helmet and slip on a patterned jacket. Getting to his bike, Yuta tucked his backpack in the small glove box. He paused as he climbed on, a thought coming to him. “Hey!” he called out to Taeyong, receiving a curious look. “I forgot to ask earlier but do you like working this section?”

 

There was a small twinkle in Taeyong’s eyes as he nodded. “I think so, it’s a lot better than the other side and everyone here so far seems nice.”

 

Yuta can’t help the cackle that comes out of him while he puts his helmet on. “Oh god, you’re in for it.” His bike roared to life and he gave Taeyong a wave with his hand. “Have a good night!” And with that Yuta sped off.

 

“See ya!” A small smile went across Taeyong’s face as he stared at Yuta’s receding back. Honestly, he wouldn’t mind getting to know Yuta more. He was pretty fun to talk to. And super cute.


here's a guideline (if anyone is interested) to the employees of neo city mall:

Claire's - Yuta, Jaemin, Hendery

Hot Topic - Taeyong, Jisung, Chenle

Barnes & Noble - Kun, Johnny (Starbucks)

Build-A-Bear - Jungwoo, Shotaro, Sungchan

Auntie Anne's - Ten, Renjun

Zara - Doyoung, Xiaojun

Bath & Body Works - Haechan

Subway Food Court - Mark

Journeys - Jeno

Spencers - Jaehyun, Taeil

GameStop - Yangyang

Mall Security - Lucas

Non-mall worker - Winwin (he said no to capitalism but visits just to spite the others)