Batch 1

Lesser Heroes

I.

 

Taeyong didn’t know if Yuta would make it back home tonight, he hoped he would but knowing his boyfriend, it was almost impossible to guess. So, sipping his favorite drink and settling comfortably into bed, Taeyong waited. The news flashed on his face and he heard word of Phoenix scattered here and there as the newscaster reported the events happening on screen cities away and all Taeyong could hope for was that he and the others were okay.

 

He always hated how they televised these battles like they were some big blockbuster franchise and not actual lives being put on the line, but then again he’d hate it more being in the dark about what was going on out there. Taeyong tried to avoid any and all broadcasts in the beginning but quickly realized that only led his mind wander to the other side of the freaking out spectrum and gave up, subjecting himself to anxiously watch for his own sake while remembering all of Yuta’s prowess and powers whenever things looked to be going south on screen.

 

The fight tonight concludes by Yuta and Johnny delivering the final blow with a combo attack of fiery golden ember blasts and lightning bolt projections that leaves the screen blind momentarily as the screeching sounds of the giant starfish tumbling to the ground are heard. Once the bright light fades and refocuses, Yuta and Johnny are hovering over what’s left of the kaiju-like creature’s scorched remains.

 

When news ended in celebration of their victory, Taeyong droned on and on, awaiting into the wee hours of the morning, typing away on his laptop with countless recipe ideas. Trying to stay awake until the last minute, it hadn’t really bothered him anymore that Yuta was a superhero, but it didn’t change the fact that sometimes (every time) he wished Yuta wasn’t the one constantly being called away and clung to him a little tighter than the last, memorizing the warmth of his body and steady heartbeat pressed against him.

 

Taeyong had finally curled over at a quarter past four in the morning, promptly falling asleep. He didn’t really know how long he had been out for when an arm curled around his waist, a familiar heat following with each movement. Taeyong smiled, turning over and seeing the battered and exhausted face of the one and only Nakamoto Yuta, waking him up immediately.

 

“Hey, just go back to sleep—” Yuta winced when Taeyong set his hand on his bicep and his boyfriend’s expression shifted from relief to concern.

 

Yuta,” he only says and Yuta understands.

 

 

Taeyong stitched and bandaged every last wound, cleaning each gash despite Yuta’s whiney complaints to take it easy. Each time he stiffened from pain, Taeyong would plant a kiss to his cheek, forehead, or neck as he sat across the bathroom floor from him.

 

“Taeyong, I’m fine!” he hisses at the stinging and clenches his jaw when Taeyong finished with the one on his arm, the deepest one.

 

“I don’t know why you thought I would let you just sleep when you’re like this,” Taeyong says, his expression a mix of apology and affection as he tries his best to hold back the scolding in his voice.

 

“You were already asleep; I didn’t want to wake you.” He leaned in for a kiss but Taeyong slinked back. Yuta made a face and tried again only to receive the same reaction. “What’s wrong?” he asked, raising a brow, earning a small smile from Taeyong.

 

“I get why you do this, really. I just wish you wouldn’t brush off how hurt you are. You’re lucky I’m getting better at this,” Taeyong replies, gaze trained on Yuta’s shoulder to check if blood soaked through his bandages. “I still think you should go to Doyoung first before coming here. Some of these are really bad, Yuta.” He sighed, his eyes finally meeting his boyfriend’s.

 

“Okay yeah, but do you know what’s better than going to Doyoung?” Yuta grinned dopily, knowing Taeyong couldn’t stay upset with him for long. Taeyong raised an eyebrow, awaiting the answer. “My wonderful boyfriend giving me the lecture instead of Doyoung’s bitter .” He lightly pushed Taeyong down on the fuzzy carpet and hovered over him cheekily.

 

Yuta started to kiss his neck and Taeyong let out a soft laugh, rolling his eyes. “Like hell you’re popping those stitches, healing factor or not.” Understanding that Yuta wanted something more, Taeyong rolled out from under him and stood up from the floor, patting his pajama bottoms clean. “Come on, let me finish bandaging you up and then you’re taking the day off Nakamoto.” He smiled sweetly at him, seeing Yuta reluctantly hold his arm out to grasp.

 

“You’ve been spending too much time with Doyoung,” Yuta groans as Taeyong secures the bandages, kissing him chastely after and directing him to their bed.

 

Yuta had been asleep for maybe ten minutes when Taeyong noticed him gripping onto him tightly in his sleep. He carefully ran his fingers through Yuta’s auburn hair as his head lay in his lap, curled up in the blankets. Each small scrape across his body illuminated in the early morning light streaming in behind the window blinds. Each breath inhaled and exhaled calming Taeyong because Yuta is alive and with him again.

 

Every time Taeyong shifted, Yuta made sure he was still wrapped around him, that Taeyong was still there. It was in Taeyong’s arms that Yuta felt the safest. After a little more shuffling between the two, Taeyong finally got comfortable enough to lay down and fall asleep, Yuta’s head on his chest, the top of his head cozily cuddled in his neck.

 

“I love you,” Taeyong says softly, almost inaudible, but the surge of warmth he receives in their hold lets him know Yuta heard and he cuddles his boyfriend closer as sleep consumes them both.

 

-

 

II.

 

While Yuta does have a healing factor that comes in handy for recovering at a faster rate than other heroes, it doesn’t exactly mean he’s invulnerable either.

 

Most of Yuta’s scars have pretty good—interesting, maybe, is the more accurate word choice—have pretty interesting stories surrounding their origins. Most seem to involve power-crazed maniacs and glinting blades, or the occasional giant monster for variation. And most of the marred skin comes complete with compelling narrative structure:

 

…and then he leapt, and then I bled, and then we left his sorry handcuffed to a streetlight.

 

Most.

 

Yuta has his share of scars that are the vigilante’s version of Oh that? I missed a step down the stairs. You know how clumsy I can be sometimes.

 

The splintered skin over his ribcage that Doyoung has just finished stitching back together—that’s going to be a I missed a step down the stairs scar.

 

 

“Where’s this one from?” Taeyong murmurs, tracing his finger along a few short nicks on Yuta’s side.

 

“Sparing sessions with Ten.” Yuta answers with a snort, thinking back to the memory of when he foolishly thought he could easily take on a weapon specialist.

 

Taeyong moves to a longer one that was faint across his stomach, looking up at Yuta questioningly.

 

“Fell through a building and landed on some pipes.” Taeyong winces, Yuta returning the look with a grimace one of his own. “Yeah, not fun, I was still trying to get the whole flight thing down.”

 

There’s a circle on Yuta’s shoulder that probably used to be a bullet hole, Taeyong guesses. He continues tracing across Yuta’s entire body, touching every new or healed scar.

 

Yuta provides the story to each one asked, allowing Taeyong to fill his curiosity until he’s satisfied. When Taeyong moves back, he’s met with Yuta’s warm gaze on him.

 

Before he can ask what’s the look for, Yuta catches one of Taeyong’s hands that are hovering between them and brings it close to his chest while his other hand comes up to his cheek and traces the scar near his right eye.

 

“Now’s your turn to tell me about this one.”

 

“It’s not as interesting,” Taeyong replies, a small pout forming.

 

“Doesn’t have to be,” Yuta says smiling, leaning in to capture those tempting lips.

 

-

 

III.

 

“So are you feeling up for it?”

 

Taeyong crossed his arms and fixed Yuta with a glare even as his face burnt with embarrassment. “Who told you about this? Was it Johnny? I bet it was Johnny.”

 

Yuta his head to the side, his usual auburn hair now a burning vibrant red as he remains levitating upside down, eye-level with his flushing boyfriend. “Uh, no one. Actually, it’s probably one of the most iconic kisses ever featured in a movie. Now you may not know—”

 

“Of course I know the Spider-Man kissing scene!” Taeyong smacks Yuta’s shoulder, jostling the other who almost loses his balance but readjusts himself. “Are…are you really serious about doing this?”

 

“You bet.” Yuta’s teeth flash in a flirtatious smile. “But I’m starting to get a little light-headed here babe, so the sooner the better.”

 

Taeyong hesitates a moment, eyeing Yuta who’s smiling encouragingly, then pushes away his lingering embarrassment of his boyfriend somehow finding out his desire to have a Spider-Man kiss moment, and steps into Yuta’s awaiting embrace.

 

The angle is a little awkward at first until they manage to slot their mouths together seamlessly. It’s still a little confusing and weird, but after a couple seconds of fumbling, the kiss deepens into something more familiar, enough so that Taeyong starts to enjoy himself and eagerly lean in. Yuta nips at his lips, and Taeyong responds by allowing him in and on his tongue—

 

Which cause Yuta to lose his concentration and plummet downward, taking Taeyong with him to the floor, a tangle of limbs and a room filled with twin hisses of pain and slew of swears.

 

“Talk about a headrush,” Yuta groans out, looking over at Taeyong to see if he’s alright. “You good? Sorry for losing focus there—”

 

Taeyong cracking up has Yuta halting, lips twitching before he too falls victim to Taeyong’s contagious laughing fit at what just occurred.  

 

“Oh god, that was so…you…!” Taeyong wipes at a few stray tears once they’ve calm down enough. He beckons Yuta closer, who does so happily, and wraps his arms around him. “I love you.” Taeyong kisses the tip of his nose. “I love you so much.” And proceeds to kiss him all over much to Yuta’s liking.


A/N: expect maybe another batch of these drabbles whenever I get around to looking through and editing what I have of this au.