Chapter 1

Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Will you be there?” Soft, warm and begging.

“No.” Hard, cold and unforgiving.

 

Tzuyu chews on her lower lip as she weighs her next move. She could beg Mina. But Tzuyu had pretty much used all her cards onher. Maybe if they were meeting in person, Tzuyu would’ve had a better chance. As Tzuyu tiptoes on her next words she hears a sigh on the other line and Mina saying, “Tzuyu… You know that I love you, right? And that I never wanted you to be stuck between us.”

“Mina—”

“I love you and it’s why I would still pick up the phone every time you would call.” Momentarily forgetting about the incoming repercussions, Tzuyu allows herself to feel the warmth of the sentiment. Then Mina continues, changing her tone completely, “But I would appreciate it if it does not involve Nayeon. We’re done. I’m not getting back together… ever.”

Tzuyu breathes in deeply.

Ever.

It was chaotic in her head right now: trying find the right words to say, even though she’s not sure why she is even trying. Even as she stares at the cars passingby, or the pedestrians crossing the street – almost like ants from where she stands, the 24th floor of the Company building. Hearing those words… even though she’s not part of the relationship… makes her heart break. Almost as if the rejection and finality was directed towards her.

She heaves a sigh before saying, “She still loves you.”

And it is the truth. Or as much as Nayeon would love someone except herself.

Nayeon and Mina had been together for 2 years.

2 years.

Nayeon had a steady pace in her career going upwards. The Nation’s Sweetheart, is what they would call her: her cute face with a matching sweet personality. And what they love the most is her transparency. What you see is what you get. For some odd reason, the nation had fallen in love with Nayeon’s unrelenting conceitedness (and borderline narcissism). That and her undeniable charisma: undisputed confidence, girl-next-door image, and approachable aura. Everything about her is alluring and likeable. General consensus either wants to be her or be with her.

3 years after her debut, she breakthrough the internet again with a dating headline. Even though it was ill-advised. To make yourself unavailable to the public eye… more so to come out, Nayeon had did it. By that time, she had become an unstoppable force.

Mina is her complete opposite: shy, reserved, elegant and everything that Nayeon is not. To the public, she’s a pretty face with a convincing talent to bring any character to life. For years, she had never had headline about her personal life, only resurfacing if it’s a new Drama, a brand deal or topping ranking polls. Who she is as a person is a mystery to everyone else.

But somehow, it worked. They called it: opposites attract (or something).

Nayeon and Mina had made a broken through the barricade of prejudice and homophobic criticism.

To the media: it felt like the love story they needed. The power couple. The representation lacking from the industry. The icons. They were everywhere: front pages, trending topics, forum discussions and even magazines. People fuzzing over them every time they were together.

Maybe it’s from the contrast of their personalities that people fell in love with. Maybe it was how the media had portrayed the relationship. Maybe it’s because they’re just two girls loving each other. Maybe it’s because they had suddenly become a symbol of something unspeakable.

Eitherway, they had the public on their side.

And Nayeon loved the attention. (Probably just as much as she loves Mina)

However, Mina… didn’t. And it’s why they broke up. – or at least that’s the simplest version of it.

“Does she?” Then she hears Mina scoff on the other line. “Then why are you the one calling me and not her?”

“She’s in recording right now--”

“Uh-huh… Then she could’ve called me right after.” A bitter laugh comes next. “Funny, doesn’t she used to call me before? ‘Mina-yah~~ I’m done with the recording. I poured my heart into it. I hope you like it!’” Mina mimicks how Nayeon used to be.

Tzuyu would nod silently, gripping her phone at the memory.

2 years, 2 albums.

One for her love, all bubbly and smitten. Another for her heartbreak, all heart-wrenching and blue.

Both backed by the company, going all-in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter