fin.

of decrees and inevitabilities
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jimin!"

A ringing went through my ears as if I abruptly became deaf because of my father's ear-splitting voice. How could he be so loud at the break of dawn? As I looked out my window, I could see that the then pitch black sky was now being painted with a bright yellow orange hue signifying daybreak. It's another beginning; another chance to make my life become of something important before the day of eternal sleep come. I sighed as I took my eyes off the sky and stared at my dark room, only illuminated by the rising sun and the blinding brightness of the fluorescent lamps outside my door. 

 

After making my bed, I immediately stepped outside of my room to greet my parents, who have been calling me since forever, a good morning.

 

"Good morning mom, good morning dad.", I said as I flashed my usual lopsided grin to them. "Took you long enough. Figured you'd get sick of hearing my voice and come crawling out your room.", my dad teasingly stuck his tongue out at me. I honestly think that me and my dad swapped ages. He acts like a happy go lucky teenager who has nothing to worry about in life, while I act like a grownup who’s carrying the burden of the world on my shoulders. But, that was what I really liked about my dad. He was someone who always lifted me up when I was at rock bottom, but at the same time, I envy him. Because despite his age, his passion for his craft still remains intact; unlike me who seems to have nothing to be passionate about. When I was a little kid, I always thought that life was driven by passion; but as I grew up, I reckoned that life was driven by nothing more but the illusion of time. It was not about being passionate about your craft or interest. It was about finishing something that we consider "important" before our life clock goes 'Time's up!'. 

 

In the end, we were all just helpless slaves of time. 

 

"Jimin? Are you listening?", my dad waved his hands in front of my face. "Huh what? Sorry, I was spacing out.", I blinked rapidly. "So, I was saying that me and your mom has somewhere to be today. It is quite important so we will be leaving the shop for you to manage. Is it fine for you?", my dad asked. "Yeah sure, it's fine. I have nothing better to do anyway.", I nodded. "That's good, sweetie. Oh and there will be a box of new antique merchandise delivered here later. Make sure to put the items up for display, alright?", mom patted my head. "Okay, mom. Now off you two go, don't worry about me, I can handle this!", I smiled as I bid them goodbye. As soon as their car was out of my sight, I sighed. 

 

Well, let's get this day started, I guess?

 

I released my third sigh today as I feel the usual boredom go over my system. What was I expecting? It was an antique shop, just a shop full of old stuff that people don't even want, so technically, there was nothing in here to kill time with. I just blankly scrolled through my social media accounts whilst waiting for the package to arrive. It was taking too long, but I can't complain anyway. Being a deliveryman isn't an easy job to begin with. 

As I stared at the bustling street outside, a delivery van caught my attention. It was finally here, I finally have something better to do than just scroll through my phone and observe the people outside until the sky gets dark again. The bell at the door rang for the first time today, but unfortunately, it was the delivery man not a customer.

 

"Miss Yu? A package is here for you.", the delivery man informed me. "Yeah, just put it there. Thank you so much for your hard work.", I thanked the worker as he left the shop to tend to more deliveries. 

 

This is quite a massive and heavy box. I guess my parents ordered a copious amount of antiques again; I guess I should start opening this up. I removed the antiques from the box with care, knowing that my life would probably come to an end if I broke even one of these pieces. As I put everything out on display, I was about to take my seat once again until an old notebook caught my attention. 

 

As I laid my hands on the notebook, it was evident that it was an ancient find. The paper was rather crisp and the color of its pages resembled the color of coffee. As I opened the first page, it revealed that it was a journal in the year 1899 owned by.... a princess? Specifically, "Princess Angel Minjeong of Britain"? 

 

As I held the journal in my hands, I didn't know if I was to believe that a journal of a real princess was delivered here instead of being in a national museum where it truly belongs. But then again, I have not heard much about this princess when I was studying world history. Perhaps, was she a princess from a lowly kingdom? Or was she an insignificant member of the royal hierarchy? A lot of questions travelled through my brain, thirsty for answers; but I believe that those questions can only be answered by the entries that the supposed princess wrote back in the day. 

 

In the process of having an intense staring contest with the journal, I was deliberating on whether to read its contents or not. I mean, it may be haunted or cursed; I don't want to live my life with that constant fear. But then again, a princess would not be capable of doing black magic, right? A figure of the royal family doesn't have time to practice that, right? Right. Of course, she must've been busy with her princess duties. As I made up my mind, I took a deep breath before turning the page. 

 

As soon as I turn the page, the smell of dust hits my nose. Well, I guess that's enough proof that this is truly an antique, I laughed weakly at the thought. I blew on the pages to eliminate all the dust that piled up and there I could see her penmanship; her first entry written in slightly smudged grayish ink.

 

February 25, 1899

Saturday.

 

My day was rather insipid, least that can be said. Earlier, my mother remarked that I was putting on a little weight lately and ordered my handmaid to curtail my corset after my morning bath. Saying that as an honorable royal figure of the hierarchy, I shall never brandish myself to the king or queen, fellow princesses or princes, servants or peasants, if I was to become a massive ball of idiocy.

 

Mother has also demanded my servant to ensure that I consume my daily tablespoonful of the appalling castor oil she primed for me. I was not capable of recollecting her full commentary as I listen with half an ear at the time, though she said something between the statements, "You would not fancy to look similar to a dying duck in a thunderstorm, would you?".

 

With the sudden surge in my internal body measurement, I have been the star in some pantry politics going around the servants' chamber, which in my opinion, is the reason why my mother prohibited me from seeing any other person excluding my personal maid. It gets lonely having to look at the same face until the light fades once more, but I am more terrified of getting caught up in a messy web of collie shangles with my mother, which is why I do not do anything but obey her command.

 

Though my mother offends me with the implication that I would offer the servants' opinions the time of the day, let alone be distressed by those utterly preposterous allegations, I am mindful that she intents for me to be the best version of myself.

 

Howbeit, how could I thoroughly presume she mean well for me whilst she and Father grant my brothers favor in every opportunity they could grasp? They have always demeaned myself and treat me contemptuously. Heavens, pray tell, what could be the answers to my predicaments?


 

 A.M.


 

As I finished reading the first entry, I can't help but be in awe; it was written flawlessly. It was only a journal entry from centuries ago, yet it seems like it's one of the best-selling historical novels of the year, I chuckled.

 

Everything about the entry screamed royalty; though it wasn't like those Disney movie type of royalty, but it was rather, royalty in reality. It wasn't another cringe worthy, sugarcoated write up, but it was purely the truth. Queens forcing their daughters to lose weight; in fear of tarnishing the royal family's reputation if their daughter looks even one percent not similar to the qualities of what they call 'a perfect and proper princess'. 

 

But, through the words of this princess, she gives off an intelligent, wise and beautiful energy. As each second pass, I am growing more curious as to how Princess Angel Minjeong, looked like. 

 

Giving up to temptation, I fished my phone out of my pocket and clicked on my browser. As soon as the search bar appeared, I typed in "Princess Minjeong of Britain". 

 

Weird.

 

She was a part of the famous Victorian era, but why are there only a few numbers of search results? Shouldn't there be thousands, if she was indeed a part of the famous royal family?

 

I scrolled through the web, until I saw a website that had a few information of Princess Minjeong, I clicked on it, hoping that even one- one single photograph of the princess was present.


 

HISTORICAL PROFILE

 

NAME: Princess Angel Minjeong Kim

 

BIRTH DATE: February 5, 1876

 

DATE OF DEATH: August 6, 1899 

 

SIBLING/S: King Zion Woong Kim (reigned 1899-1912)

      Crown Prince Drystan Minjun Kim


 

King Zion Woong Kim? As I said his name out loud, it was a familiar sound. Like I heard about him before. 

 

As I thought harder, a thought finally popped up in my brain. Perhaps, was he the king that betrayed his own people? But, King Woong only had a brother. There was nothing mentioned in the books, that he had a sister. But why? Why is Princess Minjeong named as a sister of the King and crown prince? Were the books wrong? Or was this journal in my possession, another work of fiction? 

 

May it be a work of fiction or not, it will most certainly be difficult to tell. It happened centuries ago, even my great-great grandmother won't be able to know if it was real. But then again, if this journal indeed belonged to the sister of the infamous King Woong, why did it seem like she was a hidden family member? A member who the family did not want to reveal in public? 

 

DING!

 

My thoughts were interrupted as the bell at the door rang. "Jimin, sweetie. Why haven't you closed the shop yet? It's getting quite late.", my parents are back and indeed it was dark outside again, the streets only lit up with lamp posts and our natural night lights, the moon and stars. "Sorry, I didn't notice that it was dark already. I was quite immersed with this journal that I found in the box. Mind if I keep it?", I asked. 

 

My parents looked at each other with tiny hints of surprise visible on their faces. "Of course, Jimin! Keep it.", my dad grinned. "Thanks mom, dad! Good night!".

 

Dawns and dusks have passed since the memoir of the princess has been in my possession and so far, all of the entries were normal. It was what you would imagine; a life of a blue blood, generations and eras before. But unlike those shows on television, it wasn't full of those aristocratic tensions. It had some hint of sibling rivalry, but Princess Minjeong never distinctly narrated what happened; it was more or less just an impression of how favoritism ran down the bloodstreams of a noble household. 

 

As I scratched the surface of each page of the diary, I learned more about her and her life as a princess. Indeed, I was correct at the fact that she was not a full blooded royalty, and I presume that, that was the reason why they hid her from the people. As I read entry after entry, I stumbled upon what people would call as the ‘highlight’ of the story.

 

July 27, 1899.

Thursday.

 

Latterly, I have taken into observance that this life offered to me has been ceaselessly descending. Throughout these years that I have grown accustomed of the life in the kingdom, deep down in my heart, I still long for the ubiety of my birth mother in spite of it all. Alas, Father sternly dictated that I shall never liaise with nor even lock eyes with her if I do not wish to be bound in chains and caged in the dungeons. 

 

Plainly said, I am what people call an incident. A child born out of a wedlock, one can say. Father told me that my mother was a flapper at the time, and it so happened that he chanced upon her on the streets of Garvacio. Of course I was in pure shock to learn that my missing father was the king of our nation. On top of it all, Father wanted to take me in, join him and my brothers in the palace, and compensate for the lost years we would have spent together. What kind of daughter would I be if I refused? A bast*rd like me do not even have the liberty to disobey her superiors.

 

At the time I would enter the palace, I have envisaged people will consider me as a servant, the King's illegitimate child. Even so, I was mistaken. The moment I step foot in Father's palace, each and every one of them welcomed me wholeheartedly.

 

I came to be close with my family in a , though my eldest brother Woong and my mother were the sole exception. His Royal Highness and the Queen did not recognize me as a member of the family and shown me inhospitality.

 

In contrast, my elder brother Minjun acknowledged me utmost. He advised me to drop formalities and urged me to be comfortable with him. Minjun lavished his free time with me and ushered me across the kingdom. He would teach me regarding the palace's roundabouts and a few secluded rooms he found when he was roaming alone. He was the best brother I ever had.

 

Was, because the moment I knew of his plans, the brother I admired the most was also the brother I despised the most. Minjun was a loathful, farcical prince who would obliterate everything in his way of getting the crown for himself.

 

However, it seems as if Father and Mother knew of what he intends to do, but are being reticent about it. I dare say that they do not wish for the word about Minjun's plan to go around the vicinity of the palace or kingdom, just so that this matter could lie in their control and would be incapable of staining their beloved notoriety. 

 

They are all just as pathetic as I am.

 

                               A.M

 

I am still in a deep state of confusion as I read this. For the past journal entries, Princess Minjeong unraveled the very close relationship she had with his older brother, Prince Minjun. It seemed like they had such a strong bond that no one can ever sever, but was this all to trick Princess Minjeong into thinking that he had no ill intentions towards their family whatsoever?

 

But, if the king and queen knows of his plan, why are they still covering up for Prince Minjun? Is the sibling rivalry in their family not just a mere favoritism? Is it something deeper, something darker?

 

If you do consider all of the conditions, the royal couple would only turn to Prince Woong and Prince Minjun as their heirs to the throne. They wouldn't even consider Princess Minjeong as an heiress as she was an incident. But, if the general public was to know that Prince Minjun was plotting a crime subjected to treason, they would revolt and heavily demand the king and queen to execute the prince and the king and queen wouldn't want that. So, how would they address this quandary?

 

Well, there aren't any other ways to solve this problem, unless.. No. No way would they do that, but that can be the only solution to this problem. Don’t tell me they executed Princess Minjeong in his place? But it was told in the books that the one charged with treason and was executed was a female servant.

 

Oh. I get it now. Given the fact and circumstances that Princess Minjeong was born out of a wedlock, they wouldn't want the public to know of such thing that would bring shame to the king. So perhaps, they disguised Princess Minjeong as a palace servant and put the blame on her instead of Prince Minjun. That can be the answer to why she's an aristocrat who managed to stay hidden for centuries, but who knows? Maybe, I'm just making up random scenarios in my head and this journal is fictitious. Maybe, maybe not; I guess we'll never know.

 

I released my fifth sigh today as I couldn't get Princess Minjeong out of my head. The fact that no one can even tell if the journal is real, baffles me so much, I- my thoughts were disrupted as my someone talked out of the blue.

 

"Jimin? Are you there?", Aeri waved her hands in front of my face. Really, what's up with people waving their hands in front of me?

 

"When and how did you get here?", I asked, truly confused as to how she managed to get into my room without making a single sound.

 

"I was here since earlier when you were mumbling to yourself about this Princess Minjeong. Who is she? Another democratic highborn who stole your heart?", she teased.

 

"No way. She's just- you know what? I don't even want to tell you.", I raised an eyebrow at her.

 

"Whatever, Daeng. Now let's go see the Victorian eclipse!! It's happening in about 5 minutes. This eclipse only happens every 150 years so we can't miss it!", Aeri excitedly said as she stood up and dragged me out of my room. 

 

I read a story about that Victorian eclipse once. It said that, the sun and the moon were so in love with each other, that the sun made the moon glow and gave her stars to accompany her when the sky was aphotic. Indeed, it was a sweet yet bitter story at the same time. They could feel each other’s presence, yet they couldn't meet; nonetheless, the gods were aware of the sun and moon's impossible romance. They pleaded the gods to let them meet even once and their everlasting love for each other touched the gods' hearts. And there on, the gods decided to let the sun and moon meet, but only once every 150 years; thus, the Victorian eclipse was born. 

 

"What do you think about eclipses?", Aeri asked me. I turned around to face her when- "Look, Jim!! The full eclipse is close, hurry or you'll miss this majestic moment!!", Aeri squealed. 

 

I turned my head sideways as I squinted my eyes to observe the eclipse. There it was. The sun finally succumbed to the moon. I stared at it in awe as I've never seen something this magnificent. 

 

"Aeri-ah, it's amaz-", my words were cut off when I turned to look and Aeri wasn't in front of me. I'm sure she was just here a couple seconds ago? Where did she go? And how did she leave so fast? As I noticed my surroundings getting brighter, it signified that the eclipse was done. And from the- what the hell? Where am I? I'm sure I was just on our front porch earlier but what place is this? 

 

I rubbed my eyes as I stared at my surroundings. Was this a dream? Why are people dressed like they're in the 1800s or something? Oh, am I in a prank TV show? This can only be it!

 

"Okay okay, you can all come out now. You got me good.", I said while laughing awkwardly. This is truly a good prank; I mean it just seems so realistic! Almost got me to believe that... I'm in the Victorian era? I mean, how could they change the location in just a matter of seconds? They have to be in a superhuman range of quick to be able to do that, and it changed exactly when the sun and moon met. So does that mean... with the help of the eclipse, I suddenly travelled back in time? Oh my god, I think I've actually gone crazy.

 

"Gone crazy? Oh heavens, that's the first time I've heard of such outlandish words. Tell me, are you a civilian or resident of the Novus Mundus or what was that term the burgeoning generation fancied? Was it the United States? Tell me dear, are they really united?", an old woman asked.

 

Novus Mundus? What? "Excuse me, where am I?", I asked the old woman. "My, you're in the streets of Garvacio, lass. The most eminent street in all of the United Kingdom!"

 

Garvacio? That name rings a bell. Feels like I've heard of it somewhere before. My mouth formed an O as I realized that it was the street mentioned in Princess Minjeong's diary. Could it be? Could this be the time of Princess Minjeong?

 

"Pardon me madam, but, do you know of a certain Princess Minjeong?", I asked the old lady with hopeful eyes. 

 

"Oh my young lady. Are you up the pole or did you read that from another evening wheeze? There is no such royalty named Princess Minjeong.", the old lady chuckled at me. Well, tough luck. I guess that journal was just a fak-

 

My words were once again cut off as a woman in disguise suddenly grabbed my hand and dragged me to a nearby dark alleyway. Seriously, what is up with people interrupting my thoughts? I groaned as my back hit the wall of the alley.

 

"Who are you?", the woman asked. "Whoa, lady. I am the one clasped by your hands against this wall, shouldn't the one asking who is who, I?", I shook my hands in attempt to get out of her hold but she has quite the strength. 

 

"How do you know Princess Minjeong?", she asked in such a straightforward manner. 

 

Wait a minute. She actually exists? I am honestly very confused right now. "Yes, she does. However, not everyone knows of her existence. Who are you? Are you an informer of another kingdom?". Can she read my thoughts? "You said it rather vociferously, you wooden spoon.", wooden spoon? Was that supposed to be an insult? 

 

"I am no one of importance. However, you piqued my interest. Can you address my query? What is your name?", I asked her. She stared at me for a few seconds, before she proceeded to remove the cloth that hid half of her face. 

 

I stared at her in wonder as I observed the features of her face. In my years of life, I cannot deny that she is the most beautiful lady that my eyes ever laid upon. 

 

"I am Princess Angel Minjeong Kim, the hidden princess of the Victorians."

 

"Yu.. Yu Jimin.. Yu Jimin.. My my name..", I unintentionally babbled. Oh my god, she actually exists? And she's right in front of me? I really am crazy. I battled with my inner self as I stood rather awkwardly in front of Princess Minjeong. 

 

I can't believe that I met that Princess I couldn't stop thinking about and the first thing I do is humiliate myself in front of her. Great job, Yu Jimin. Great job. 

 

"It's an honor to meet you, Yu Jimin.", she eyed me curiously. "Would you like to come with me to the palace? It seems like you are not a resident of this kingdom, and I do want to inform you that I have decided to award you with my trust and take you in, of course rather, clandestinely.", she said with a small smirk on her face. Oh my lord. What have I gotten myself into?

 

As soon as those words slipped through her tongue, she hastily took my hand and made a run for it. It was like a scene from a romance drama, as we ran together, everything was in slow motion. 

 

I have always thought that time was a constant illusion. It will always be there and it cannot and will never be altered. Yet, here I am, in the Victorian era running hand in hand with the most beautiful princess in all of history. It all felt surreal, how her delicate hand grasped mine and how the time suddenly became lethargic. Enchanting yet peculiar moment, this is. 

 

I was suddenly moved to the side which interrupted the course of my reverie. "What's happe-", she put her hand on my mouth, preventing me from continuing my words. "Shh. We must not get caught by the wardens or else we'll be entangled in an arduous dilemma.", she silenced me. 

 

As the wardens finished checking the gardens of the palace, Princess Minjeong tugged on my hand and tiptoed until we reached the back entrance. It looked like a huge number of servants were taking a day off as only several of them were present in the hallways, it's quite interesting that even back in the day, where sovereignty is at its finest, they still offered their maids rest days. 

 

"Yu Jimin, let's go.", she whispered as she dragged me along another eerily quiet hallway. 

 

The hallway was extremely long, kind of felt like it was never-ending. Until we stopped in front a huge door painted white, which I'm guessing is her room and my temporary prison.

 

She quickly dragged me inside her room and locked the door behind her. Wow, this room is massive, my room back in the present might just be half the size of hers. Well, she is a princess, so of course, she would be treated extravagantly. After my eyes were done travelling her room, I looked at her and there I saw that she was staring at me with this creepy yet gorgeous look. 

 

Having her eyes bore on me, I could feel goosebumps travelling from my head to the tip of my toes. 

 

"What?", I asked her rather awkwardly. "Tell me, Yu Jimin. From what kingdom are you from?", she asked as she slowly walked closer to me as my feet automatically walked backwards, getting away from her. 

 

We continued our staring contest and forward-backward walking until I could feel another cold wall hit my back, and once again, I am cornered. 

 

I looked straight into her eyes, as I felt a shudder from her cold stare. "I.. I.. I am from the Kingdom of Seoul.", I whispered the last part. I really am such an idiot.

 

"Seoul, you say? Is that a faraway land? I have not heard of such kingdom before.", she walked away from me. I didn't even notice that I was holding my breath at that time. 

 

"Yes, it is quite faraway from here. To tell you the truth, I have little to no idea as to how I stumbled upon this kingdom.", I told her as I proceeded to fix my clothes. "How is that possible? Were you perhaps kidnapped?", she asked me with her deep brown curious eyes.

 

"No. I would tell you the story, however, I am afraid that I may come off as a mad man.", I laughed weakly and she once again, looked at me with those eyes that never failed to captivate me. 

 

"If that is what you want, then I suppose you could speak of that issue when you feel most comfortable."

 

Silence suffused the air as she finished her sentence. I didn't know what to respond and I guess she didn't know what to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter