1/2

Exchange Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

italics meant they are speaking in English

normal font means they're speaking in Korean

 

---

 

It's been 3 years now since Joohyun's family welcomed exchange students from different countries. She didn't know exactly how she put up with those years living with a stranger in their house when she had stated her disagreement to it from the very beginning. She couldn't remember how her parents convinced her to approve this at all but here she was preparing the guest room for a new exchange student that will start living with them today. Talk about contrasting thoughts and actions, Joohyun only sighed.

 

She cleaned the room and decorated it to suit a lady who's a majoring in music and who happened to like the color of blue. Her parents really do take background checking of their students on another level, they learned their lesson already. She was informed with details beforehand to do a make over of the room that the student would stay in. This was the only thing she wanted to take part in when she realized that there's no turning back anymore. Joohyun at least made it clear that she will never associate herself with strangers and that her only contribution as part of a host family was to clean and do make overs of the room, she's practicing interior design after all. Her parents and her sister Seulgi were already more than happy with it so maybe that's one of the reasons why she's been okay with it for years.

 

Speaking of Seulgi, who's now at her final year in college, she was the main reason why all of this happened. She applied and got accepted for an student exchange program with a duration of 6 months when she was in her 2nd year. And when she returned, there were no words coming out from other than how she felt happy and grateful for the host family that took her in when she was in Japan. For some reason, that's vague and shallow for Joohyun, it provoked her parents to apply to an agency for them to officially become a host for other exchange students as well. After some paper works, interviews and inspections, her family was already certified and that's one of the worst days in Joohyun's introvert life.

 

The first year was a nightmare to Joohyun and the family. They got a male exchange student from the US, she already forgot what was his exact location but it's meant to be forgotten. That student was supposed to stay for a 12 week student exchange program but they dropped him on the 4th week for rude behaviour and constantly breaking the house rules. Not only that, he tried to flirt with Joohyun when he got drunk for 2 consecutive nights. As much as Joohyun wanted to kick and smash his balls for being flirtatious towards her the first night, she still tried to be patient with him and gave him a verbal warning but the 2nd night, Joohyun already feel treathened by his drunk behaviour so she reported him right away. The family will not tolerate a student that turned out to be a danger for them. The agency coordinator understood them and quickly transferred the man to another host. They did their background checking on this person and even got to chat with him thrice while he was preparing to leave the U.S., he seemed really well behaved as per her parents and Seulgi but it all turned out to be just a front. 

 

That first one was a lesson to them so they made sure to step up their background checking. Joohyun, as usual, never joined the chat though.

 

The next ones they hosted were only females and surprisingly all of them were really interested in their culture even when the other 2 females were from western countries. They were polite to them too, for real. Joohyun was more than happy that her parents took her suggestion of hosting only female students, men are maniacs and useless to her after all, her dad's an only exception though. So far, everything went well after that first male student and her family seemed to be very pleased with it. Joohyun watched her parents love what they're doing so she let it be, Seulgi became attached to the females like she found another sisters and somehow those students didn't became a trouble for her as well. Perhaps, all of these are okay to go on. Joohyun swore not to grow attached to their guests though, unlike Seulgi and her parents. She'll remain neutral, if not avoidant, with them for as long as they do this.

 

"Joohyun unnie! She's here! OMG, she's so pretty in person!" Seulgi announced excitedly almost like a deja vu every year. Joohyun only smiled and did final touches to the new exchange student's room before she went downstairs and greet her only for formalities. Well, that didn't go as planned.

 

That 'pretty' comment from Seulgi was an understatement when she finally laid her eyes on the newcomer. Seungwan was a beautiful lady oozing with charisma despite her small built. Aside from the outstanding platinum blonde hair, Seungwan has soft looking fair skin, thin lips, pointy nose and she found herself captivated by her dreamy eyes. It felt like time stopped for Joohyun when their eyes met. If someone will ever ask her where Seungwan came from, she could answer quickly that she's a character from a story book. She's perfect until...

 

"Hello. My name is Son Seungwan but you can call me Wendy." She said and Joohyun was flabbergasted. It seemed like, despite being a full blown South Korean by blood, Seungwan couldn't speak Korean at all and by that, Joohyun was dismayed. It's her fault for not joining their chat, she should have known better. Her parents nor Seulgi didn't tell her anything because they all knew she didn't care. Joohyun felt disappointed, a love for own culture was very important to her and language was a part of that. The lady she called perfect just now was not so perfect anymore. She mentally noted not to get carried away by physical appearance in her next attempt. Wait, what was she even attempting to do? 

 

When they were done with their greetings and Seungwan got her things settled in her room, they all shared a meal in the dining area. 

 

"Hey Seungwan, is it okay if I call you Wannie?" Seulgi smiled brightly in an ever so friendly way but Joohyun found this a bit more than what Seulgi usually did. To Joohyun's observant eyes, the two actually had a bond now after they started coordinating/chatting with each other for 2 months now.

 

"That sounds like a puppy's name though." Seungwan smiled awkwardly, hesitant to agree with it. 

 

Joohyun snorted but she immediately pinched her arm to stop herself from laughing fully when her family was giving her a threatening look as if telling her to behave. Seungwan didn't mind though.

 

"But you do look like a puppy. You're very cute." Seulgi insisted her point.

 

"She's more like a hamster, Seulgi. Isn't she?" Mrs. Bae clapped both of her hands while she endearingly look at Seungwan.

 

Joohyun found this conversation really one sided now when she observed Seungwan was having the worst day of her life. Seriously, her family was so embarrassing. It felt like they got a new pet instead of a new student. Joohyun get it that Seungwan was undeniably cute but why were they comparing her to an animal? She won't talk though.

 

"How about y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter