Last

You know I'm always here, right?

Watching through her window, she counted the cars that zoomed past her apartment while silently wishing for that specific car to pull over and come over to her door and so it was another day where she waited once again. She does not know when she started waiting but it was starting to bother her roommate. Pity was not enough to explain her roommate’s expression. At this point she had chosen to leave her be.

“She’s not coming back, Chaewon.”

Was what her roommate would always tell her but what surprised her was when her roommate decided not to bother her and busied herself with her Nintendo switch.

“What’s wrong?” This was the first time after god knows how long that Chaewon had actually talked to her roommate first.

“Nothing’s wrong, why?” Yena replied, her attention still focused on her game not noticing that Chaewon was already beside her. “I’m not used to you being this quiet.” Chaewon admitted. She was so used to her roommate complaining as to why Chaewon would often lose track of time while waiting for some person’s car to pull up. “Well as you can see, I’m playing right now Chae.” Yena replied with a hint of sarcasm that made Chaewon playfully slap Yena’s shoulders.

Chaewon glances at the window once again before glancing at her roommate who was busy catching fishes then quickly looked back at the window, as if she was trying to convince herself to spend time with her roommate and not waste another day waiting for someone to comeback but at the same time was also trying to convince herself to wait for that someone to comeback. Chaewon knows for sure that this person would not comeback anymore, she’s well-aware of that. She just can’t let go as to what had happened, it was all too sudden after all. And so, she waits, she waits until it’s already past midnight.

“You can go back to waiting for Minjoo to comeback, you don’t have to spend time with me.” Yena had finally placed down her Nintendo switch to look at Chaewon who was still hesitating.

“I know I’ve been saying this for the past few weeks but I just don’t see the point in waiting for someone who ghosted you.” Yena sighed. After some thought Chaewon had decided to grab the Nintendo Switch before playing the game her roommate was playing. “Sooo, I take it that you want to spend time with me?” Yena nudged and Chaewon rolled her eyes before resting her head on her roommate’s shoulder.

“I missed this.” Yena admits while watching Chaewon catch fishes. “Yah, why are you so bad at this, you wait for the moment the bait is being pulled, that’s when you click this button.” Yena watched as Chaewon walked around the island and grabbing the decorations and putting them on her character’s inventory.

“YAH WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THAT INSIDE THE INVENTORY?” Yena quickly grabbed the switch and this made Chaewon laugh. Hearing Chaewon laughing beside her, Yena stopped placing the decorations as she watched Chaewon laughing at Yena’s panicked state. “It’s been awhile since I last heard you laugh…” Yena mumbled and Chaewon had lifted her head from her roommate’s shoulders, shrugging as she took this as a chance to grab the switch again. “What other games are here?” Chaewon asked as she exited the game. “WAIT HOLD ON SAVE THE GAME, SAVE IT FIRST DON’T OPEN ANOTHER GAME.” Yena was panicking once again and quickly made Chaewon reopen the game just to save it.

“How long will this take?” Chaewon asked the switch was now on her lap as she had her head rested on the couch while staring at the ceiling. “Beats me, it usually takes long if you play for a long time, and I was technically playing the entire day.” Both sighed at the same time, Yena looked around to find something to entertain them while they waited for the switch to finish saving the game, but her shoulders slumped as she saw nothing would be able to entertain them.

Hearing the door knock both stared at each other. “Did you order something?” Chaewon asked before glancing at the door. “No, I didn’t.” Yena stood up as well as Chaewon who walked towards the window.

When she had pushed aside the curtains she froze.

“Chae? You good? You look like you saw a ghost.” Yena was in front of her looking really worried. Following her gaze, she realized who was outside just by seeing the car.

“Minjoo is here” Chaewon whispered as she quickly went to the front door and ignoring the things Yena were trying to say.

Why was Minjoo suddenly here? It was already late at night, the younger would always be asleep during this time. She knows the younger way too well, they did date for a year and a half.

“Min-” Chaewon hurriedly opened the door with Yena trailing behind making sure that her roommate would be safe. Chaewon was left surprised when she saw some stranger along with Minjoo standing behind her.

“Hi… Uhm… Are you… Chaewon?” The person in front her right now was not Minjoo, Chaewon did not recognize this person so how did she know who she was? Nevertheless, she nodded slowly before the person sighed in relief “I’m Minjoo’s friend, Kang Hyewon. We went out to drink and she said she wanted to come here. She said she wanted to talk to you.”

“Chaewon…” Minjoo mumbled and Chaewon once again frozen and was about to go near Minjoo, but Yena who suddenly appeared in front of Chaewon crossed her arms. “Look, I suggest you take Minjoo home. I don’t want her near my best friend. Not after what she had done to Chaewon.” Yena’s hissed, she glanced at Chaewon before looking at her apologetically.

“Yena unnie… I promise I won’t take long-”

“Maybe if you did that before but you know what you did instead? You ing ghosted her like a damn coward.” Yena was beyond mad that Chaewon had to hold her back scared that something bad would happen. Hyewon who does not know what was happening just looks at Minjoo. “I’m sorry.” Was all she could muster. Tears rolling down her eyes. Chaewon’s heart broke at the sight of Minjoo crying. “Yena, calm down. I’ll be fine. She said she won’t take long.” Chaewon whispered to which Yena looked at her in disbelief.

“You’re just going to let her ruin you again?” Yena glared at Chaewon before sighing deeply. “Fine. If Chaewon comes back crying and I find out that you-” Yena points at Minjoo who was now besides Hyewon. “-hurt her again. I won’t hesitate to beat the out of you.” Yena harbored so much hatred towards Minjoo that her words surprised everyone. Nodding as Yena steps aside to let Minjoo inside.

Once Hyewon and Yena were outside, it was just Chaewon and Minjoo in the spacious living room. It was quiet. Too quiet that Chaewon could not help but fidget. “I’m sorry.” Minjoo once again apologized, this made Chaewon quickly looked at her. “Ghosting you was not what I wanted in the first place, I was just too scared as to how you would react.” Minjoo paused, hesitation was written all over her features as Chaewon just listened, waiting for the younger to finish.

“Remember the agency that I auditioned? I was accepted but…” Minjoo didn’t need to finish since Chaewon was quick to understand as to what she wanted to say. “There’s a dating ban correct?” Chaewon still asked just to be sure. Seeing that Minjoo had nodded Chaewon sighed. She had expected this, but she didn’t expect for the younger to ghost her instead of telling her the truth. “Why didn’t you just… Message me or came here and told me in person?”

“I just… I was too caught up in the moment that I had lied to them that I wasn’t dating anyone. My phone was taken away and I wasn’t allowed to go out at all and now that I have debuted, we decided to celebrate it and I just thought that I owe you an apology.”

All Chaewon could say was a mere whisper of “Is that all?” she could not bring herself to be mad at the younger. This was expected after all. No matter how much Minjoo had hurt her she could never blame her.

“Let’s break up officially, Min. I hope you do well, I’m proud that you reached your dreams.” Chaewon says with a smile and Minjoo thanks her for at least hearing her out before being escorted by Chaewon to their front door.

“I had actually waited for you to comeback, to at least explain to me as to why you suddenly ghosted me. Glad you did comeback.” Chaewon admits before opening the door and seeing Yena sitting on the floor with Hyewon just scrolling through her phone. Noticing that the door was open which meant their talk was over Yena quickly stood up and walked past Minjoo to check on Chaewon.

The front door was now closed and both could hear the faint sound of the engine before silence had engulfed them. “How was it? That is if it’s okay to ask.” Yena ushered Chaewon to sit down and that’s when she noticed that Chaewon was shaking. Panicking slightly as she pulled Chaewon into a hug. “On second thought you don’t have to tell me, what matter is you guys got to talk right? I hope she explained as to why she decided to ghost you.” Yena whispered while patting Chaewon head as she breathed heavily. She tried to say something but it would end up being a mess as she would find herself crying even more, her hands holding onto Yena’s shoulders, Yena could only rub her roommate’s back soothingly.

“Unnie… We broke up…” Chaewon looked up and Yena sighed before wiping her tears, before pulling Chaewon even closer. “I thought you guys already did when she ghosted you?” Bad joke. It was definitely a bad joke, but to her surprise Chaewon had giggled a bit.

“God why are you like this, Yena unnie.” Chaewon had removed herself from Yena’s despite the frown that had painted on the older’s face. “I probably look like a mess.”

‘Even though you’re crying right now, you still look so beautiful, Chaewon. I may like you, but that’s for another time. As your unnie, I’ll look after you. I’ll cheer you up every day and set aside my feelings because it would be rude if I just confessed even though you just got out of a relationship, right?’

“You don’t.” Yena smiles. She’ll just have to settle with this, her main goal as of right now is to cheer up her roommate. “Why don’t you go and clean up and I’ll go and get some snacks while picking a movie, sounds good?” Yena suggests before getting up to stretch and head to the kitchen. She could still hear Chaewon sniffing before standing up, “You’re the best, Yena unnie!” Chaewon pulls Yena into a tight hug and suddenly Yena’s cheeks were now crimson red as she coughed and looked at the floor to hide the blush. “I know I’m the best, now go hurry up or else I’ll have all the snacks to yourself.” Yena lightly pushed the younger who mumbled a, “You’re so not fair.” Thankfully Yena was busy looking for snacks so she missed what the younger had said.

“HEY I HEARD THAT.” Or maybe not. Chaewon giggled as she quickly went upstairs to clean herself and perhaps steal Yena’s hoodies again. “YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH MY NEW HOODIE CHAEWON.” How did the older know she was going to do that? Ignoring the older as she went inside Yena’s room to look for the hoodie, which wasn’t too hard since it was neatly folded and placed at the center of Yena’s bed.

 

===

“Didn’t I tell you not to wear that?” Yena pouted as she saw Chaewon on the couch wearing her new hoodie. She wasn’t disappointed if she was being honest. Chaewon looked cute when she’s wearing her clothes and she can’t help but smile. “As if you’re not wearing mine right now.” Chaewon points and Yena doesn’t even look down to check because she knows that this was Chaewon’s.

“Okay so move, don’t hog all the space.” Chaewon was basically laying down on the couch leaving no space for Yena to sit and she did not want to sit down on the couch and let her neck be in pain. “Then come cuddle with me.” Chaewon declared before getting up.

‘What… what did she just say…’

“What are you doing?” Yena asked. “I want you to cuddle me, after all I should be the one being taken cared of.” Chaewon grinned which meant Yena had no choice but to listen to what the older wants. Sighing as she laid down which followed with Chaewon snuggling closer. “It’s been a while since we last spent time.” Chaewon whispered while Yena reached for the remote to play the movie. “Yeah that’s because you spent like... Days! Perhaps even weeks! Waiting for Minjoo to comeback.” Feeling the younger tensing she patted Chaewon’s head before whispering,

“Let’s just focus on the movie, okay?”

“Thanks. For everything you’ve done for me.”

“I’d do anything for you, Chaewon.”