Under The Stars

Relapse

Before they part ways for the night, the Kims offered Seungwan a place to stay for the meantime. "I'm sorry, but I have to check my old place.", Seungwan politely declines. 

 

"Oh, the one across the street?" Grandma Kim asks, "I'll ask Sejeong to send you some fresh croissants tomorrow morning then." she continues. Seungwan nods and bids them all good night.



If there’s one thing that Seungwan absolutely loved about this place, it would be the balcony. Astronomy was always her thing, and it fascinated her. Stars align the same way destiny does, and they create impacts on each other when these stars collide somewhere across the universe. For Seungwan, that was the beauty of it. The surprise, the thrill of love and how it could possibly be unpredictable no matter how smart one becomes. She had lived and loved, now all she ever wanted to do was to write everything out, hoping to inspire others to learn through her novels.

 

Seungwan’s life was never easy. She never knew why, but one possible reason would be the principles that she held within herself. Working in corporate used to make her feel her purpose, but something was always missing. That’s when she decides to switch jobs, from corporate to becoming a novelist in the romance genre.

 

Seoul had everything she needed to get her motivation back. Even though her latest best-selling novels have kept her finances secured for a year or two, she realized that Christmas is only a few weeks away, and finds herself back here after several hours of searching for places to go. It was on the same balcony that she found and learned what it was like to be in love.

 

She opens one of the stacked boxes in the corner, and drags a bean bag near the balcony doors. This is her night routine, while the stars have been her companion for many nights. Seungwan notices purple LED lights on the next door’s window. I better get to know my neighbors tomorrow morning, she reminds herself as she drifts off to sleep.

 

--------------------------------------



“Good morning, Jeongie!” Seungwan happily waves towards the young woman. Sejeong smiles and rushes back into the coffee shop, and goes back outside and hands Seungwan two bags of fresh blueberry muffins. “Dad said you should hand these out to those next door.” Sejeong says.

 

“Wow, really?! Tell Grandpa I said thank you.” Seungwan walks beside her, entering the coffee shop. She grabs her wallet, but pauses as she sees a cup placed in front of the counter. “The usual, Wannie?” Wendy chuckles, shaking her head at the old woman’s antics. “You really know me well, Granny. Thank you for this.”

 

“It’s the first time I’ve seen you get up this early. Any plans for the day?” Grandma Kim asks. Seungwan nods in response. “Yeah, I gotta go greet my neighbors. None of the old tenants live there anymore, so  I feel like someone who recently moved in.”

 

Grandma Kim walks with her out of the coffee shop, holding a paper bag. She peeks on what’s inside. Banana cake? She curiously stares at Grandma Kim. 

 

“Ah, this? It’s for Irene. She lives in 329. She usually comes to the coffee shop everyday for a slice of cake, but I suppose she’s busy with work and didn’t eat much these days."  329?

 

“329? I live in 328, Granny. I’ll hand it to her instead. The elevator’s not working and walking up the stairs is quite dangerous for you." The old woman smiles in relief, thanking her and Seungwan resumes her plans for the day.


329… 329…  She mentally repeats in her head. As much as she has acquired such creative imagination which she poured into her novels, was also how forgetful she can be. Nothing’s more embarrassing than knocking at a wrong tenant’s door, handing them a carrot cake!

Seungwan stares at the door, 329 - Irene. She clears , making sure she doesn't look weird, and knocks thrice.

"Hello?"

Distant sounds of feet shuffling can be heard, and for some reason, Seungwan feels nervous. It's a she, right? I mean, her nightlights were purple, should I say purple's nice? Ugh, Son Seungwan snap out of it! she shakes her head, and immediately, the door opens.

 

She smiles widely and hands out the paper bag towards the woman. 

But then, her smiles instantly fades, the same hand falls down, gripping the paper bag as tight as she could. 

Her breath hitches, the same way it did a long, long time ago.

No way.

 

"Uh, hi? How can I help you?" The woman asks, rubbing her tired eyes showing the lack of sleep under those large-framed specs.

 

No way.

 

No... way.

 

Seungwan's voice cracks, a name escaping her lips with bitterness, as if a immense amount of poison came along with it.

 

"J-joohyun?"