FIN - Doctor Love

Doctor Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One-shot, where Irene was involved in a car accident and Seungwan was the doctor on duty. The twist is they were exes in college.

-

The sun was brightly shining, Joohyun reached for her alarm clock to turn it off,  another day, another day of Joohyun hoping that she can finally find a job. It's been almost a year since her contract on her previous work ended, and she's been miserably failing. She sighed as she stood up from her bed. The house that she's been living in was still the same house where she lived back in her college days.  

Her phone beeped, indicating that a message came in. 

[Tuesday 11:30 AM] Choco Company: Good afternoon, Miss Bae Joohyun, we are sadly informing you that you didn't pass the second screening and you're not the person we are looking for the job.  Thank you for showing your interest in working with us. 

Deep sigh, she can only sigh as she reached for a piece of sausage before she lays down on her couch. When will her life ever change? Eyes glued over her college diploma, and her graduation photo. It has been four years since she graduated, four long years since she last saw the lady whom she thought she would spend her remaining days with. A bitter chuckle, that's what escaped as she took a big bite from the sausage. "My life went off the rocks because you left," Joohyun said those as she remembers the past, the days where she thought she would be able to find the true meaning of her life, just when she thought she would be loved for real. She can only shrug as the past keeps on meddling with her. Reaching for her phone, the lady stares over the last remaining photo of the person whom her heart desires. "Seungwan, how can you just leave me like that?" Up to this day, the pain still haunts her, asking herself where did everything go wrong? 

-

Seungwan was eating inside the cafeteria of the hospital when she accidentally bites her tongue, making her yelp in pain.  "Can you give me a number?" Seulgi blinks her eyes in confusion, staring at her friend who seemed to be in so much pain. 

"Ten?" Seungwan starts counting, her grandma told her that once you bit your tongue, the first person which crossed your mind with the consecutive letter in the alphabet where the number stopped was definitely thinking of you. 

Seungwan stopped, the very first person that crossed her mind, a girl whose name starts with J. "Joohyun?" Seulgi glanced over her friend, her eyes were so apologetic, she knows it's been four years, four long years, and Seulgi is a witness to each of Seungwan's contrition, the way the lady will yearn for Joohyun. Seulgi and heaven is the deaf witness to Seungwan's heartbreak. Seulgi will always hear Seungwan call the latter's name whenever she's drunk. Seulgi knows how much Seungwan regrets everything. 

Seungwan's heart swells once again, as the name of the lady she chose to let go was heard from her own mouth. That seven-letter name, the name of the lady that she hopes to be with forever. Dropping the pair of chopsticks, she can only sigh and the memory came back. 

4 years ago. 

Graduation day was supposed to be one of the best moments of everyone's life right? Seungwan was staring right in front of her own mom. Pressure, thoughts, she feels so uneasy. "You, really don't know how to listen?" the anger, the tone of the voice of the lady in her early 50's is an indication that she's very disappointed. "Do you think I can accept my daughter as a lesbian?! When I knew that you were born with male s it already broke my heart!" Seungwan can only just look down, in her hand is a five-carat oval cut diamond ring. "And you're now telling me that you want to get married over that theater major!? Are you out of your mind?! If you want to continue your passion and your studies as a doctor! Go and leave her!" A loud slap was heard inside the living room of Son's residence. 

Their five years of relationship just ended with a text message, a message that Seungwan sent while her eyes were filled with tears. Badly hoping that they would meet again, in the same skies where everything is better. 

Seungwan's daydreaming went to a halt, Seulgi patted her back as their head doctor, Seungwan's older sister showed up. "Seungwan, can you stay a bit longer tonight? I just need you to help me with something." The short-haired girl can only nod as approval to her sister. 

Seulgi and Seungwan stood up and went back to work. Maybe Seungwan can forget about Joohyun. 

-

Joohyun was sitting inside a convenience store, staring at the numerous people walking and minding their own business, everyone has their own stories, own work, and even own lifestyles. Shrugging all of her thoughts, she reached for the cup of ramen, her dinner for tonight. "Miserable life eh?" Joohyun mutters to herself, slurping the ramen. The weather is starting to get cold again, which means Joohyun is approaching her fifth year of pacing back and forth to the memories she built with Seungwan. 

It will be five years in a few months, but Joohyun is still here, hoping that one day, she'll meet her again. Thinking about the short-haired blonde, her mind was full, stepping out of the convenience store, rain pouring hard, Joohyun starts to make her way back home, not minding the pouring downpour, her feet moves on its own. Just when she's just about to cross the street, Joohyun's body froze, a light that almost made her blind, a rushing black tesla, that is the last thing that Joohyun remembers. 

Seulgi was sitting inside the doctor's room, folding and gathering her belongings, her friend Seungwan went inside placing her cup of coffee at the top of her table. "I'll get going now Wan, I guess see you tomorrow?" the latter patted her friend on her back before she went out of the room. Leaving the short-haired girl, sitting, spacing out. 

Sipping on her coffee, Seungwan can only remember how she hates herself for hurting someone who only deserves to be loved. How can she hurt someone as genuine as Joohyun, the pain, and the shenanigans, makes her feel worse, the remorse, everything is just painful?  Maybe if Seungwan was strong and brave enough to fight for what she thinks was right at that time, the love of her life is still definitely here. 

Just when Seungwan was about to go home, a nurse came rushing into the doctor's room. "Doctor Son! There's an emergency we need you." Seungwan grabs her long coat and stethoscope. It is a call of duty. Despite being so tired the whole day. Seungwan is still prepared to do anything. "The patient was hit by a rushing tesla, head trauma is suspected, the patient is unconscious." The attending nurse explains the situation. Seungwan is back as the professional doctor Son. The nurse pointed the second bed inside the emergency room before passing the chart to the doctor who is busy analyzing the situation.

But as soon as her eyes went to the patient lying down on the bed, Seungwan's heart dropped to the floor. Hands were shaking. "Who bought the patient here?!" Seungwan was trying her very best to remain professional, but anger, and also her emotions were raging. Never in a million years, Seungwan has thought of meeting her first love in a hospital. "Please check her vitals before giving her a ct scan. Do it as soon as possible. Prepare the rooms!" the nurse starts running, in her two years of working, she never saw the short-haired doctor rage in that way, being labeled as the most professional doctor, she remains calm in almost every situation, but who can blame her for being anxious, when her first love whom she didn't see for almost five years is here, suffering from still unknown injuries. The doctor's hand went to hold the hand of the brunette lady, the pain from their past came back. "I... I'm sorry" Seungwan's voice cracked as she stepped away to let the ct technologist transfer the patient to the ct scan room.

"Doctor Son you'll be needed there." she can only nod and flash a light smile over the technologist. Heart racing, pain enveloping her body, Seungwan can't even focus at all. The short-haired doctor was just about to follow the patient when someone patted her shoulder.

"Wan-ah." it was Joohyun's mom and beside her is Joohyun's younger sister Yerim, the family who accepted her with open arms is here, filled with tears. Seungwan can only clench her jaw as she tries to prevent the tears from falling from her eyes. "P. Please save my daughter." Being a well-known doctor, we can say she's confident, but right now Seungwan feels lost, lost at the moment she saw the lady she loves fighting for her own life. Seungwan gave the older lady a tap on her shoulder before she ran to follow the patient.

Hands trembling, Seungwan stood beside the radiologist, breathing heavily, the short-haired doctor can only bite her lower lip. An hour passed, Seungwan manages to make her diagnosis. "The patient suffered from mild head trauma and some pelvic injuries." Seungwan was talking to the lady in her early 50's, Seungwan even placed the results of the ct-scan and pointed the fractures that Joohyun received from the injury. "Ma'am I suggest for you to file a complaint to the police station today. The injuries were way more severe than what I was expecting." Seungwan placed a card at the top of her table before meeting the eyes of the older lady. "Here's my uncle, he's from the Seoul Precinct 18, that's where the accident happened, tell him I recommend him to you. He will help you." Seungwan holds the hand of the older lady in front of her, tears were just about to escape from the eyes of the woman. "I'll be needing some minor surgery to Joohyun to help her recover fast. I assure you that it will be okay." Seungwan grabs a bottle of water from her small refrigerator near her table and gave it to the lady. "She'll be fine, I ensure you that she's in good hands." Seungwan reaches for her long gown before she stood up from her swivel chair. The heart was racing, as she reached the operating room, seeing a sleeping Joohyun with some wounds, and yes the visible pain was still visible on the latter's' face. "Let's start." in that cue, Seungwan removes all of her thoughts and proceeds to be the professional doctor Son that everyone knows, setting aside all of her thoughts about their past. Seungwan wants one thing, and that is to help the girl that she loved the most.

Eyes slowly opening, Joohyun groans as she felt the pain on her whole body. "Eonnie! How are you feeling?" Yerim immediately stood up from the couch. Staring at her older sister Yerim reached for the nurse call button. "Hello, Nurse-nim, my older sister is now awake." Joohyun was staring over her younger sister as she roams her eye-sight around the room. 

As the nurse enters the room, she administers Joohyun's needs, just like what Seung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter