I see the moonlight (reflected in your eyes)

I see the moonlight (reflected in your eyes)

Light breeze fans over his face and Jongdae feels a small drop of water land on his nose when he turns his face up. It’s getting windy and the sky is getting darker - it’s gonna rain later. 

 

But the clouds are still just slight grey, Jongdae can see through them. What he sees is a moon, shining bright silver down on the earth. But when he looks to the side,  he sees the darker clouds coming, so he sighs.

 

He doesn’t want to get soaked in the rain, so he speeds up, not quite running, just walking more quickly. He feels more water land on his skin when he turns his face up, but doesn’t panic just yet, he still has some time before it starts raining full force.

 

He does get soaked in the end, just before he walks inside his house. Groaning, he drops his bag and everything else in the hallway, before he moves around the house. The white button-up clings to him like a second skin and he groans when he sees himself in a mirror hung up in the living room.

 

His phone goes off in where it’s hidden in his bag, but he ignores it in favor of getting dry clothes and a warm shower. Running a hand through his hair, he reaches his bedroom and starts undoing the buttons of his shirt.

 

Jongdae was never fond of the mirrors through the house, but he does think they kind of add to the beauty of it. But none of the mirrors is as pretty as the one in his bedroom. No other reflects the light so prettily.

 

Jongdae smiles and slides the button-up down from his body, the cold wet material causing goosebumps to break all over his skin. He takes off his pants and folds them before he moves to the connected bathroom and leaves the wet button-up on the heater. Coming back to the bedroom, he fishes a shirt and underwear from the closet, and throws a quick glance to the mirror.

 

After he walks out of the warm shower and changes into the clothes for the night, he saunters closer to the window to move the curtains aside. He basks in the moonlight for a moment before turning back, glancing into the mirror.

 

For a moment he thinks he might be imagining things, but when he moves again, and the moonlight hits the mirror, he’s sure he sees a pair of ice-blue eyes. The room gets dark in a matter of seconds and he can no longer see them, and when he looks out of the window again, the dark clouds are covering the moon.

 

Jongdae thinks it may be his mind playing tricks on him after a long shift at work, but when the clouds move again, the eyes are there again. With a sigh and a shake of his head, he climbs into the bed and turns his back to the mirror.

 

It takes him much longer than is normal to fall asleep that night.




 

♦♦♦♦♦







 

Jongdae takes his coffee and wraps his hand around the mug before he sits down on a chair, his gaze set on a table. “You know, it’s not possible. It’s a mirror, Dae,”

 

He lifts his head to gaze at the other male sitting opposite him, and sighs. “I’m not kidding, Baek,” he his lips and shakes his head. “I saw eyes. In the mirror opposite my bed, when the moonlight hit it, I saw ice-blue eyes.”

 

“I didn’t say I don’t believe you. I just said it’s not possible.” Baekhyun shrugs and takes a sip of his tea, brown eyes with a serious glint gazing back at Jongdae. Jongdae sighs and places the mug down, hiding his face in his hands. “I can get you a session with Dr. Lee if you want.”

 

Quickly raising his head, the younger of the pair gasps. “What? Baekhyun! I don’t need a psychiatrist!” He hisses, throwing accusive eyes at the older nurse. The older chuckles and raises one hand in surrender. “Sure, alright, if you think so.”

 

Jongdae whines and tilts his head back. “I swear I’m not having hallucinations or anything like that, “He mutters and scratches his cheek. “I’ll just go home early this time if the head nurse lets me, and sleep.”

 

“That’s a good idea, Dae,” Baekhyun smiles at him.

 

They sip their drinks in silence then, just glancing at one another.

 

Jongdae doesn’t have hallucinations, he did saw the ice-blue eyes, right?




 

♦♦♦♦♦








 

The head nurse did let him home earlier, with a wish to stay healthy. Jongdae smiled and thanked her before he took off to home. 

 

He unlocks the door and steps inside the house with a sigh, letting the door fall shut behind him. He leaves his bag in the hallway again, along with his shoes, and walks into the living room. 

 

Hearing a loud ‘meow’ makes him flinch slightly, and he giggles when he notices a silver tabby laying down on his bed in the bedroom. The old cat belongs to his neighbors but likes to sneak out, going around the neighboring houses. But she likes Jongdae’s house the best, mostly appearing there.

 

He walks inside, sits down beside her, and lifts his hand, gently scratching at the base of her ears. She purrs and tilts her head, opening her eyes before she stops. Jongdae moves his head around, glancing at the mirror she stares at, and a sigh breaks through his lips.

 

It’s not dark yet, no moon in the sky, and the mirror looks normal. No ice-blue eyes in there, so Jongdae stands up again and walks over to his closet. He takes off the blazer and hangs it back in there before turning to make a silly face at the cat resting in his sheets. 

 

From this angle, he can see the mirror reflecting the daylight. It’s still pretty, how the frame shines, but it’s nothing as when it shines in the moonlight. Another thing is the outline he sees inside the mirror. He tilts his head to see it more clearly, but it’s just a slight glimmer that looks like a human silhouette. 

 

The cat on his bed suddenly hisses and startles, jumping from the end of the bed to hide behind the pillows by the headboard. Jongdae turns around to soothe her, but she’s not looking at him, instead, she’s glaring at the mirror. 

 

He turns to the mirror again, and sighs, walking over to the window to draw the curtains to block the daylight. The shimmer in the mirror disappears, but the silhouette stays there. 

 

“I’m not the only one seeing it, right?” He mutters and walks over to the bed, stretching his hand out for the cat to her head against it. She meows at him with wide eyes and he hums, using one finger to pet her under her chin. 

He hums and takes his hand back, moving around the house for a bit. He cooks, eating just a small portion of it and hiding the rest in the fridge, washing the dishes, and cleans up the guestroom.

 

The sky is dark by the time he’s done, and when he walks back to the bedroom to get his pajamas and go shower, the moonlight is peeking from behind the curtains. It hits the mirror just slightly and when he moves them to the sides, he gasps. 

 

The silhouette is there again, a shimmering outline, and the ice-blue eyes are where the head of the silhouette is. The silver tabby hisses again and jumps down from the bed, coming closer to knit between Jongdae’s legs.

 

The moonlight gets reflected in those ice-blue eyes staring at him and Jongdae stares back, unblinking. He moves his head just when the cat climbs up his leg and sets her claws in his thigh. She meows at him urgently and sets her claws deeper when he doesn’t react, and Jongdae hisses while looking down on her. “Alright, alright,” he murmurs and sighs.

 

“I’m not the only one seeing it.”




 

♦♦♦♦♦





 

Goosebump break over Jongdae’s skin the following morning. It’s still early, his phone says it’s only 4 AM, and his room is still dark apart from the moonlight coming in from the window. 

 

He opens his mouth in a yawn and sits up, one hand coming up to rub at his eyes. When he opens them again, he sees the silhouette still glistening in the mirror. A slight meow attracts his attention and when he moves closer to the end of the bed, he notices the cat is sitting in front of the mirror, her body facing it but her head is tilted in his direction. 

 

“Hey there, girl,” he whispers to her and gets down from the bed, moves closer to sit beside her. He crosses his legs and pets her head when she moves into his lap. She starts purring almost immediately when his hand touches her and closes her eyes.

 

She seems to entirely ignore the silhouette in the mirror and it makes Jongdae wonder. He tilts his head and stares at the mirror, right back into the eyes of the shimmering figure in it. Those ethereal eyes stare back at him and after a few moments, the silhouette moves and mirrors Jongdae’s position.

 

A gasp wants to break through his lips again but he forces it down, just watching the silhouette. “I’m not having hallucinations, right?” Jongdae mutters and tilts his head to the other shoulder. 

 

He moves to get his phone before settling in his position again, writing a text to Baekhyun saying to come to his house, immediately.






 

It’s about half an hour later when Baekhyun comes, calling out his names from the hallway. “I’m in the bedroom,” Jongdae answers him, still petting the cat sleeping in his lap. He doesn’t move his head to still look at the silhouette in the mirror.

 

“Hey, why did you need me to get out of bed this early?” Baekhyun asks when he stands in the doorframe, glancing at Jongdae with those dark, knowing eyes. Jongdae makes a gesture with his chin to the mirror, slightly sighing.

 

“I woke up because of this,” he mutters and scratches behind the cat’s ears, closing his eyes. He hears Baekhyun move and sit down beside him before the other nurse sighs way too loudly.

 

“Dae, there’s nothing,”

 

Jongdae’s eyes snap open and he blinks when he sees nothing in the mirror. “Baek, I swear, it’s not only eyes anymore, it’s a whole silhouette now. Just a silhouette, but it’s there.” he gulps and shakes his head, increasing the petting of the cat. “Dae, I don’t know what to say. There’s nothing, no eyes, no silhouette. How long have you been awake?”

 

Jongdae sighs. The cat moves her head and meows at him when he says nothing, and he smiles down at her. “Not long, almost an hour,” he says and gets up, cradling the cat in his arms before passing her to Baekhyun. “Let me get dressed and we’ll go return her to her owner. I’m gonna get a shower, there’s some food in the fridge.” Jongdae walks over to the closet and takes out some clothing. “Help yourself.”

 

Baekhyun gapes at him before the cat meows at him too and he gasps, cooing at her and walking out of Jongdae’s bedroom. Jongdae chuckles before he turns back to the mirror, slightly furrowing his eyebrows. 

 

“There must be someone in there. I don’t know how it’s possible, but someone is in there,” he mutters before he takes off to the bathroom.





 

♦♦♦♦♦









 

“There was nothing, Jongdae. I didn’t see anything,” Baekhyun says later that day when they near Jongdae’s house after their shift. “I just said I was awake because something is in that mirror. It’s an old house, Baek. Everything is possible.” Jongdae shrugs.

 

“So just because it’s an old house, everything in it is some sort of magic? Or something like that?” Baekhyun quirks an eyebrow at him and runs a hand through his hair.  Jongdae shakes his head at the older male. “No, that’s not it. I just said there must be something because none of the other mirrors reflects the moonlight or daylight the same as this one.”

 

“Oh, alright sir,” Baekhyun gives him a mocking giggle and dodges Jongdae’s fist. “Maybe you have a ghost in there. Try some exorcism or something and tell me what you find out.”

 

“Oh Baekhyun,” Jongdae whines and shakes his head before waving to him and walking over to the front door. He hears him laugh before he walks inside the house. The first thing when he takes off his shoes is to walk into his bedroom and point an accusive finger at the mirror.

 

“Thank you very much, now my best friend thinks I’m either a fool or that this house is cursed. Thanks,” he murmurs and undresses, quickly hitting the shower before he heads for the bed. 

 

But it doesn’t let him sleep for some time. So he just sits there, his back leaning against the headboard and hands folded in his lap as he stares at the mirror. There it is again, the glimmering silhouette and ice-blue eyes. They stare back at him, unmoving, unblinking, just the silhouette moves to sit down just like in the morning. 

 

Jongdae sighs, one hand moving up to rub at his cheek. “What are you doing to me? Who even are you?” he asks, but the silhouette doesn’t even blink. He shakes his head at it and gives a gentle smile before finally succumbing to sleep.



 

♦♦♦♦♦






 

It takes a few more days of this. Jongdae coming home when the sky is dark and the moon shining, and a glimmering silhouette with ice-blue eyes greeting him from the mirror in his bedroom. 

 

Jongdae takes off his shirt on his way to the bedroom as he rolls back his shoulders to relieve some of the tension. He throws the shirt on a chair and tilts his head back, groaning in frustration as he runs a hand through his hair and tugs at the black strands.  

 

“I don’t know how you do it that I and the cat are the only ones who can see you,” he starts, talking to the silhouette in the mirror he knows is there. “But you’re making it very difficult for me.” a sigh escapes his mouth and he shakes his head while coming closer to the mirror.

 

He lifts his hand and starts tracing the pattern of the frame while looking straight into the eyes of the silhouette. “I don’t have a single clue on why did my grandma want me to have this house or why are you here, but I wanna know.”He quirks one eyebrow and his lips form a small smirk when the silhouette’s eyes flick down from his own to where Jongdae’s chest is.

 

He steps back and turns around, ing his pants and lets them fall down his legs, stepping out of them when they pool around his ankles. He moves over to the bed to get his pajama before he hops over to the bathroom, his laugh ringing around the house.

 

The silhouette is sitting down when he comes back, looking at Jongdae’s bed, turning his head to Jongdae when he comes closer, otherwise unmoving. Jongdae smiles and walks to the bed, a yawn making him open his jaw ‘til it cracks and he winces.

 

When in bed, Jongdae takes a comfortable position to relax his body fully and pillows his head on his arm, Jongdae stares back at the silhouette for a minute before he speaks up. “I just wish there could be a way so someone apart from me and the cat could see you. I know there’s someone in there, but being the only one able to see you is making me look like I’m not mentally fine to everyone else,” he sighs and tilts his head more comfortably before he closes his eyes and slowly drifts off.





 

It’s not even eight hours later when goosebumps break over Jongdae’s skin and a shiver runs across his spine, causing him to rouse from his sleep. He stifles a yawn into a pillow and then turns his head slowly, opening his eyes just to peek around the room.

 

He opens his lips in a silent scream when his eyes land on the mirror across the room, the moonlight dancing on it, but what gets him more is the image in it. The silhouette isn’t a silhouette anymore, and those ethereal ice-blue eyes stare back at him from a very, very, handsome face, a slight smile etched over rosy plush lips.

 

It’s not just a shimmering outline anymore, but a full body, looking almost as if leaning on the frame, his head tilted sideways as he stares at Jongdae, those eyes sparkling as the moonlight still hits the mirror.

 

Jongdae gulps and rubs his eyes with one hand, his mouth still open as he sits up. “Oh my god,” he whispers and throws the blanket away, climbing out of the bed. “I knew something was off about this, but this, this is insane,” he mutters and walks over to the window to draw the curtains in an attempt to block the moonlight.

 

It doesn’t do much, just makes the room darker and Jongdae has to really think about where to put his feet not to trip. 

He might be hyperventilating a bit when he finally stops in front of the mirror, but the silhouette- man, in there does nothing else besides flicking his eyes to meet Jongdae’s brown irises. 

 

Jongdae bites his bottom lip and blinks at the man, only looking over his shoulder to check the time. It’s not the best time to call Baekhyun at 1 AM, so he decides to just turn his back to the mirror and walk into the living room.

 

Another wave of goosebumps breaks over his skin when his bare feet step onto the cold floor in there and he shivers, his teeth chattering as he rubs his arms. There must be an open window or the backdoor in the kitchen letting the cold wind in, thus making the floor and everything around cold. Jongdae sighs and takes a deep breath before he steps into the kitchen to go check the backdoor and the windows in there.

 

He jumps when a soft meow echoes from the ground behind the kitchen counter and places a hand over his chest where his heart is, ramming into his ribcage. “Hell, this isn’t good to me,” he mutters and rounds the counter, smiling down at the silver tabby grooming herself with her paw. She’s sitting down in front of the backdoor, slightly opened, and Jongdae sighs.

 

“You can’t do this, baby, it will get cold inside the house. And this house does get really cold.” He remarks, throwing a small smile at her before he pushes the door closed and sighs again. He takes the cat into his arms once he turns back to her and she immediately snuggles closer to his chest.

 

He smiles and walks back into the bedroom, flinching with his whole body when his eyes land on the man in the mirror again. He almost forgot he was there until the man turns his head to Jongdae. “,” Jongdae whispers and shivers, biting his bottom lip, and puts the cat down onto the bed. He moves to the closet to take a shirt and wears it to hide his chest.

 

The man is leaning on the mirror frame, blue eyes reflecting light watching intently every move Jongdae does. Jongdae gulps down and steps closer to the bed before he climbs in again, letting the cat take a place by his side as she starts purring. “I don’t know if I’ll be able to fall asleep if he keeps watching me,” he brings a hand up to scratch at the base of her ears. 

 

“I mean, he’s very handsome, but I don’t think I’m comfortable enough with him to sleep while he’s like this,” Jongdae lowers his head and whispers into the cat’s ears, his eyes avoiding the ice-blue irises of the handsome man in his mirror. The cat slightly meows at him and raises her head to gaze at the man. 

 

As if she knows what will help him, she puts on one paw over his eyes, and he giggles and closes them. “Alright, alright, I’ll go back to sleep.” he gives her a lopsided grin and moves to a better position before he closes his eyes, and drifts off to the sound of purrs and a feeling of being watched.



 

♦♦♦♦♦






 

Jongdae gets used to the man in his mirror over the next few weeks. He’s there in the morning when Jongdae gets up at the crack of the dawn, he’s there when Jongdae gets home and climbs into the bed at the dusk, those ice-blue eyes watching him and reflecting moonlight.

 

Jongdae is sure that the man is there, in the mirror, but the problem is, nobody else apart from him can see him.


 

Jongdae might be going mad with fever, but he still has some kind of sense in himself as he slowly pets the cat purring on his chest and sweats under the heavy blankets Baekhyun put over him when he appeared in the morning.

 

He sighs and runs his other hand over his forehead to wipe the sweat away, and looks at the mirror. The beautiful man is watching him all night, tilting his head to the other shoulder every time Jongdae makes a simple noise as whine or wince, and the cat hisses at him once in a while. Maybe she thinks that the beautiful man knows Jongdae’s in pain and doesn’t want to help him.

 

Jongdae still thinks that he is very, very, handsome, even when all he does is stand in the mirror and watch him. He still thinks those eyes are beautiful.

 

He makes a slightly pained cry when he hears Baekhyun yell in the hallway and sits up, holding the purring cat close to his chest with one arm as he uses the other one to grab onto things when he stands up and starts walking to the living room. 

 

“Hey, Jong. The head nurse wishes you a speedy recovery and to take as much time as you need, and Dr. Lee said he can make some arrangements if you want,” Baekhyun says when he drops his bag on Jongdae’s couch. 

 

Jongdae stands still in the doorway to the living room, holding the cat as she continues to purr, and releases a quiet whine from his chapped lips. “I think it would be the best, Baek. I think I’m really going insane now,” he waves his free hand around his own head and blinks away the tears gathering in his eyes, “I’m seeing him every ing night from the time I started to see the ice-blue eyes, and then it continued, eyes, the silhouette, and now it’s a whole ing man, very gorgeous man to be precise, but still. I’m the only one seeing him, so I must be going insane.”

 

Baekhyun turns to him with an open mouth and one of his hands flies up to cover his mouth in time to not let a loud yell escape his lip. Jongdae raises one eyebrow at him, “What?”

 

“J-Jongdae, turn around,” Baekhyun stutters and gulps down, wide eyes staring at something behind Jongdae’s shoulder. Jongdae lifts his other eyebrow too and turns around, immediately yelping and almost dropping the cat in his arms. 

He opens his mouth to say something, but nothing besides a sob falls out of him. 

 

There he is, his beautiful man from the mirror. Those ice-blue eyes gazing back at him, reflecting moonlight from the living room windows, and those rosy plush lips are stretched into a small smile as he leans on the doorframe just a few centimeters away from Jongdae.

 

“Jongdae, is that the man from the mirror you were talking about?”He hears Baekhyun behind him and he almost opens his mouth to answer him when the man talks first.

 

“I’m Minseok, and yes, I am the man from the mirror Jongdae was talking about.”






 

Jongdae wakes up with a start and flails his arms around when cold hands catch his wrists and bring him up against a solid chest. The muscle is cold even through the cotton shirt the person is wearing and Jongdae rests his burning forehead against it. 

 

Soft, plush lips press against his ear, and a velvety voice whisper to him, “It’s fine, it’s just a fever,”

 

“M-Minseok,” Jongdae stutters and sighs as he sags against the person holding him, slightly moving his arms until the man’s hands release his wrists and he can put his hands under his shirt to feel the cold skin and cool his hot one.

 

Jongdae has always suffered from high fevers, always feeling how his skin is burning hot, his head always pounding and his eyes always filled with tears. And he was always alone through them.

But now, there are two people in his house with him, alert if anything happens to him.

 

“Yes, it’s me. It’s alright, it’s just a fever,” Minseok mutters and puts his palms on Jongdae’s back under his shirt to help him cool down. “Baekhyun is asleep on the couch. I’m here, you’re fine.”

 

When Jongdae was still kind of in a conscious state earlier in the evening, Minseok explained to him a few things, such as why was Jongdae the only one able to see him or why he had been in the mirror in the first place. Jongdae didn’t know why he believed him, but when Jongdae asked who had put him in there and how and the man answered it was Jongdae’s grandma and she used magic, Jongdae believed him.

Baekhyun didn’t believe it at first but when Jongdae told him his grandma was really something people would call a witch and the house really was magical in its own way, he believed too. And he passed out when Minseok showed them how he moves in and out of the mirror.

 

Jongdae didn’t feel as conflicted as before when he went to sleep, and he didn’t want to admit it, but he felt much safer when Minseok was sitting in an armchair beside his bed than he felt when he was watching Jongdae from the mirror.

 

“Go back to sleep, I will stay right here with you,” Minseok says and Jongdae nods against his chest, lifting his head the second he feels the cotton material of the shirt go warm. He watches with half-lidded eyes as Minseok moves them around a bit until he’s laying on his back with Jongdae draped over him. 

 

Jongdae sighs in content when Minseok sneaks one hand under Jongdae’s jaw and splays it on his throat, effectively cooling his skin with his hands. Jongdae hums and sets his head on Minseok’s shoulder. “Thank you,” he mutters and closes his eyes, “Thank you for being here.”






 

♦♦♦♦♦








 

Jongdae comes home with a smile in the next months. Why would he not come home with a smile when he has a mirror creature in his room, waiting for him?

 

It’s just slightly dark when he comes home, moon nowhere to be seen and he heads for his bathroom once he discards his shoes, bag, and jacket in the hallway. His laundry from the previous day is still there, so he guesses he can do it while waiting for the moon to come up at the sky and the moonlight to hit the mirror in his room. 

 

He takes it to his room though and smiles when he finds the silver tabby in his bed, raising her head and meowing her greetings once he enters the room. He gives her a ‘hello’ and scratches her chin before he sets to do the laundry. 

 

He puts on his playlist and puts his phone on the charger and hums along with the songs when his room gets really dark and he notices he has drawn the curtains that morning, so with a sigh, he pulls them to the sides of the window so the moonlight isn’t blocked and actually can hit the mirror. Then he continues with the laundry, folding his clothes to put them into the closet later on.

 

A pair of cold arms wrap around his waist just as another song comes to an end and he hums when he feels a kiss on his cheek. “Hey, gorgeous,” is whispered into his ear and he chuckles. “Hello, Min.”

 

He turns around in the mirror creature’s hold and wraps his arms around his neck with a soft nuzzle to Minseok’s nose. Minseok smiles at him with those ice-blue eyes of his and leans in just a bit to press their lips together, not kissing him, just pecking his lips, and then he pulls back to gaze down at Jongdae. 

 

Jongdae grins and hums to the lyrics of Sam Tsui’s cover of ‘Mirrors’ while letting Minseok gently rock them from side to side as he gazes back into his eyes that catch the moonlight so well when Jongdae ends up with his back to the window. Minseok’s eyes shine like the clearest turquoise ocean, the moonlight reflected in them so prettily that it would make Jongdae believe whatever the man said if he wasn’t with him for months by now. 

And Jongdae sees himself in them, along with the moonlight, and blushes before pressing his lips to Minseok’s cheek. He tightens his arms around Minseok’s neck and lets Minseok lift him off the floor and slowly spin him around in the air.

 

“There is someone in my mirror.”