Sungnyung

Chorong's new pup
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you think about having a dog?” Chorong asked without looking at her best friend sitting across her on their dining table. It’s a Wednesday night, so her housemate has no weekly meeting and decided to have dinner together. She has been mindlessly twirling her pasta for minutes now and Bomi sensed something about it.

“A dog? You mean, buying?” the younger responded, confused about the sudden brought up of the topic. No, not that Chorong hates having a pet but she doesn’t actually like having them. Well, because of their work. Typical office hour works. Leaves early and home exactly on dinner time. And having a pet to take care of will honestly be difficult for them. “Hmmm I don’t mind” Bomi then, shrugs not taking the topic seriously.

The older girl bits her lip on that, “I am thinking of adopting, what do you think?” she manages to sound so innocent and keeps her straight face when their eyes finally met.

Okay, Bomi is more of a confused now, she’s dumbfounded. First, they both have day jobs. Second, her best friend is the OC type and having a pet dog will ruin her ‘everything should be in place, Bbom-ah’. Third, why so random? This is NOT so Chorong if you are going to ask Bomi. “Unnie, we are not the typical household, you know? We can’t adopt just because we want to.” Gently placing her fork on the side of her plate to properly look at her suspiciously calm unnie.

“Ahh, actually there’s this temporary adoption something, I saw. There, at the Pet Shelter blocks away.” Playing with her blonde hair. She sounded like she doesn’t care but Bomi knows her, too well.

The younger narrowed her eyes and examined the other girl before agreeing “I said I don’t mind, unnie. This is your apartment too. And I love dogs, so I’m fine with it.”

Chorong heaved a long sigh in relief and excitedly said, “Great, you want to come? I have an appointment with them this weekend. That will be fun.” She stumbled on her feet, walking to the kitchen sink as she places their plates when Bomi comments about her having an appointment already but the older proceeds to pretends she did not hear.

---

Weekend comes so fast. As if Chorong has been pulling the dates towards her. All smile while preparing herself.

“Is it bad to be happy? We’re having another member in our home, Bbom-ah” putting her neutral face again when the other asked about her being all cheery.

Laughing at her unnie’s answer, she continues walking, saying “That’s not what I meant” and link her arms on the older, “Let’s go, before you rip your mouth on how big your smile is” Chorong wanted to banter back but she doesn’t want to ruin her very good day, today.

They arrived 30 minutes earlier and Chorong does not mind. She happily scans the shelter. It was her first time inside, but she has been seeing this place. It’s on her way to work, anyway.

While Bomi plays with her phone, an old lady approached them and invited them to her office.

“Good morning. I am this Animal Shelter’s Manager, Mrs. Jeong. What can I do for you?” the old lady offered them seats, happily welcomed the two.

Both girls smiled back as Chorong says about her appointment today. “Oh, hi. So, you are Chorong. The one I have talked to… last Monday” shaking the girl’s hand in delight.

Bomi throws her a look. “Monday?” she whispers to the older, nudging her on the side. Her best friend shushed her, and she rolls her eyes on that.

 “You are early. We don’t have our staffs yet, but I have my daughter here to volunteer. She can accompany you while you guys are here. I just have some errands to run.” Mrs. Jeong grabbed a file folder before the other door on the side of her office opens.

As if on cue, a girl enters the room. She’s wearing a vest for volunteers on top of her white oversized shirt, blue jogging pants, that looks so familiar. To the level that both visitors have it on thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter