to you, I will always return

Hear The Wind

AN: For the full experience, I suggest you all to check these songs out! :D Nothing I've Ever Known and Don't Let Go

**

 

 

 

Joohyun likes Jeju.

 

She smiles after taking a sip from her tea, as the breeze caresses the leaves, feeling the summer air on her skin. Her best friend and associate Sooyoung is rarely wrong and when she had to talk Joohyun’s ear off so the older woman would leave her office and the city (technically the whole mainland) behind for this summer, she again wasn’t wrong about how badly they both needed a break.

 

Joohyun never stayed in one place for too long because of her parents and their demanding jobs. She traveled Korea with them, listened to perhaps a thousand arguments in the car and another thousand before and after their divorce. Now her family is in pieces. One thing she is thankful for is the fact that she could distance herself from the chaos with the start of college. She would get lost in books, spend hours in the workshop cutting and sewing fabrics, running from one internship to another. If she stopped, the disturbing thoughts that haunt her day and night would catch up. So keeping herself busy is the only coping mechanism she has ever known.

 

Life after college was rewarding. Her hard work paid off, her designs were getting the recognition they deserved and with the help of Sooyoung as her co-founder, they established their own brand. Bae&Park is like her child, she watched it grow, she was with her every step of the way.

 

Unlike her parents, she never left her own child.

 

Yes, there might have been some arguments between her and Sooyoung on how smart it was to disappear for the entire summer and leave the company to Soojung. No, Jung Soojung is the most experienced and capable team leaders they have, she has no doubt that the woman will handle everything. Let’s just say that all of their employees are intimidated by her. She remembers the day Soojung was teaching the interns how to cut different types of fabric. A poor boy had shivered when Soojung cut the silk sample with a swift snap of her scissors while maintaining eye contact with him the entire time.

 

Joohyun chuckles and the sparrow on the verandah’s railings tilts its head at the sound, hopping along the wood and chirping. Her gaze falls on the small bird, watching it jump and join the birds flying over the fields. They seem to stretch forever towards the hills and the forest, in shades of green and yellow and brown. Seoul is actually a lot more colorful and bright than here, but they are all artificial, manufactured to capture your attention, for you to talk about it, take a picture or to spend money on it. Jeju however, exists with her. It’s not demanding or tiring. Jeju is peaceful, calm and this villa is a small safe space for her to breathe.

 

She leaves her tea cup on the table and grabs her phone, finding no texts from Sooyoung. It has been a week since they came here and the younger woman is already best friends with the town’s veterinarian, Shon Seungwan. Seungwan has helped them get settled and even cooked dinner for them the other night, she is always available if they need anything. It is safe to say that Sooyoung is already developing a huge crush on her, or rather, on the small stray dog lying in front of Seungwan’s clinic. She must be with them right now.

 

“Alright, Soo…” Joohyun sighs and stands up, knowing she’s going to be alone for a while. “I’ll cook dinner, I guess.”

 

She might have been ditched for that whiny dog and Seungwan’s happy, infectious smile.

 

Well, she can’t really blame her friend.



 

**



 

Joohyun does not like Jeju.

 

“I swear to God,” She mumbles, breathless, clutching her stomach. “This camping site better be worth it or I’m going back to Seoul.”

 

Seungwan gives her an apologetic smile. “Only a few minutes left until we reach there, unnie. Hold on!”

 

“You’re just out of shape.” Sooyoung giggles, quite happy to be climbing the endless forest with her friends unlike Joohyun. “You’re kinda getting old, too.”

 

Joohyun lifts her head, narrowing her eyes at Sooyoung’s grin. “Watch it, Park Sooyoung, or this hiking staff is going to-”

 

“We’ve arrived!”

 

Seungwan grabs Joohyun’s hand and helps her up through slippery stones, finally reaching the clearing. They are on a hill inside the forest, making them feel like giants since the sky seems so close. The pine trees are almost infinite, following the river all the way to its other branches and to the sea. She can hear the birds around them, filling her lungs with fresh air.

 

“So…” Seungwan starts, looking at Joohyun.

 

Joohyun rolls her eyes, walking to the benches Sooyoung is already settling in. “Okay, I admit, it is worth it.”

 

Breakfast somehow tastes better here, after the long trip. Joohyun welcomes the burn in her muscles and the heat of tea, munching on Seungwan’s cake.

 

“I could get used to this.” Sooyoung shakes her head, chewing. “So good.”

 

“I can give you the recipe.” Seungwan chuckles, throwing a small piece to a curious squirrel sneaking up on them. While the creature is busy with the cake, she speaks again. “It’s a Shon family special.”

 

Joohyun watches the squirrel run away, keeping close to Sooyoung, her designated guardian against all rodent threats. “Which animals live here in the forest?”

 

Seungwan grins. “So many! We have endemic birds, deers, squirrels, foxes, bears-”

 

Sooyoung chuckles nervously at the way Joohyun clutches her arm. “Unnie, please, I can’t feel my left side...”

 

“There are bears here?!”

 

Seungwan lifts her eyebrows. “Uhm, yes? It is their ecosystem, after all-”

 

“There are bears here and you brought me in the middle of nowhere to have breakfast. We don’t even have a car! What are we going to do if one of them shows up?!” 

 

Seungwan bites her lip so she doesn’t laugh out loud at Joohyun’s expression. Sooyoung just sighs as Joohyun whips her head around with the smallest sound. “Well, this was a mistake.”

 

“Sadly, their numbers are lessening each year.” Seungwan tells them once Joohyun has calmed down. “The laws aren’t good enough so the illegal hunters can get away with so many things. The government is adding more species in the natural heritage list one by one, but it doesn’t stop the hunters. So the locals here had to come up with their own solution.”

 

“What is it?”

 

Seungwan smiles proudly. “The foresters created a team of volunteers. My friends are there, Seulgi and Yerim. Their fathers work in the city hall, in the forestry division. They visit each zone of the forest regularly to disarm and collect the traps. If they find any injured animal, they send it to wildlife rehabilitation centers.”

 

Joohyun hums, nodding. She admits, she likes animals as long as they are at a safe distance away from her. She has never been too much of an animal lover. However, she respects these people for actively fighting against illegal hunting. Not liking animals doesn’t mean she wants them to die.

 

“You should introduce us sometime!” Sooyoung says, excited. “I’d love to see them work, maybe even join them!”

 

“Sure, Sooyoung! They must be in the city center now though, so I don’t think-”

 

Seungwan stops when they hear voices and a loud engine, which sounds like a few motorbikes approaching. “Is this campsite still in use?” Joohyun asks.

 

“No.” Seungwan stands up immediately, grinning. “It’s them!”

 

A young woman on top of a grey, spotted stallion appears, stopping the horse. A small group follows her, three people with their motorbikes and four with their horses. “Alright people, let’s search the camp!” The woman shouts. “You know we found two cages here last month! After this we’ll- Seungwan, is that you?”

 

“Hey, Seul!”

 

Joohyun has seen horses before, both in real life and in many movies. For her, horses are elegant, silent and calm, but fierce and strong creatures. That unpredictability, the raw power they have scares her.

 

So instinctively, she hides behind Sooyoung’s shoulder when Seulgi approaches. Her horse stops near Seungwan with a huff, letting the woman caress his head with a giggle. Seulgi dismounts and hugs Seungwan. She is much shorter this way, though still taller than Joohyun. “It’s so good to see you here! Enjoying the morning with your friends?”

 

Seungwan smiles and turns to the other women. “Meet Sooyoung and Joohyun unnie, they came from Seoul for a summer holiday.”

 

“Ah, is that so?” Seulgi reaches to shake Sooyoung’s hand. “Welcome to Uigwi-ri, then! So nice to meet you.”

 

Sooyoung smiles. “Nice to meet you too!”

 

Joohyun clears , stealing a glance at Seulgi’s horse before taking her hand. “Nice to meet you, Seulgi.”

 

The forester is observant, noticing Joohyun’s nervous gaze. Her smile is so warm that it reaches to her eyes, Joohyun is surprised how welcoming she is to a complete stranger. “You don’t need to be afraid of Rêve. He’s a good boy.”

 

“He is a bit…” Joohyun starts, holding onto Sooyoung’s arm. “Big.”

 

“Well, he’s a Lusitano.” Seulgi chuckles, patting the stallion’s neck affectionately. “His ancestors were war horses.”

 

“Where is Yerim, by the way?”

 

Seulgi turns to the vet. “She stayed back in town. Had to help her mom with the apples. This month is busy for them.”

 

“Ah, right.” Seungwan nods. “Well, since you two are here now, why don’t we all gather at my place for dinner? This Saturday, just the five of us.”

 

Sooyoung jumps in before Joohyun can speak. “Good idea!”

 

Seulgi chuckles at her enthusiasm. “Sounds great. I’ll call Yerim and let her know. Now if you ladies excuse us, we’ve got to go back to work.”

 

Joohyun notices that Seulgi speaks as if her stallion is a person too, still gently patting his neck.

 

“Sure, Seul. Bye!”

 

The forester wears her hat, which is a smaller version of the western cowboy hats, tipping it before turning and taking the horse with her. Joohyun watches her walk away, already directing the team around and pointing at places. She is clearly in her element.

 

“Seulgi is quite charming.” Sooyoung smirks. “Right, unnie?”

 

Joohyun turns back to reality with Sooyoung’s question and blinks. “Well, she is a good looking and friendly person. Why?”

 

The younger woman shrugs, starting to gather their things. “Just asking.”

 

“What’s with that smirk, then?”

 

“Nothing!” Sooyoung laughs, grabbing her bag and dashing out of Joohyun’s reach.

 

“Yah, Park Sooyoung! Come here!”



 

**


 

 

It turns out that the Kang family fields are right behind their villa.

 

Joohyun doesn’t notice it until two days later when she is watering the flowers in the backyard, lifting her head to see the green grass beyond the white fence. She expects it to be empty, she hasn’t met all of their neighbors yet, but there are two figures walking slowly.

 

Seulgi and her stallion, Rêve.

 

The young woman is wearing a plaid shirt which flutters with the breeze, revealing a black tank top inside. It is tucked inside faded jeans and the jeans are tucked inside short boots. She has her hat again and Joohyun thinks it suits her, gives her a different air. The thing that grabs her attention though, is the fact that Rêve doesn’t need to be tugged along with a rope to follow Seulgi. The horse only has his halter around his head and nothing else.

 

“Joohyun unnie?” Seulgi calls, waving with a grin that lights her entire face up. “Hi!”

 

Joohyun chuckles, leaving the watering can on the ground as the young woman runs to the fence that separates them. Rêve busies himself with the grass under his hooves “Hello, Seulgi.”

 

“I didn’t know we were neighbors.” Seulgi whines, probably angry at herself. “I wish I did, we’d bring you girls a gift.”

 

“A gift?” Joohyun asks slowly. 

 

Seulgi sighs. “You’re our neighbors, no matter how long you’re staying. It’s our duty to welcome you and take care of you.”

 

Joohyun pauses. It’s the same thing again. Just like what she had seen in Seungwan’s eyes, in Seulgi’s smile and her voice. The purest form of kindness, so hard to find in these times. They offer it like it’s nothing. Joohyun is so used to seeing fake people and hearing their emotionless words that this feels surreal.

 

She clears , smiling at the girl mumbling things to herself. “Thank you so much Seulgi, but you don’t need to. Really. I appreciate the thought.”

 

Seulgi sighs again, but smiles after her eyes travel around Joohyun’s face. “I’ll find a way, don’t worry. I might be many things, but not a bad neighbor.”

 

Joohyun chuckles. “You’re not giving up.”

 

Rêve huffs and shakes his head, stretching his strong neck upwards. Joohyun can study him better from this distance, his muscular legs, short mane and shiny grey coat. She swears he is aware of the attention when his bright blue eyes land on Joohyun, staring and staring.

 

“He likes you.”

 

Joohyun scoffs. “Oh, I don’t think so.”

 

“No, he really does.” Seulgi chuckles when he nibbles on her shirt, tugging gently. “Usually he walks away to mind his own business when I’m talking to someone. But he stays and listens to you.”

 

That’s stupid. It isn’t supposed to make Joohyun feel good about the situation, like she understands the horse and he understands her.

 

However, she finds herself smiling softly at the playful tugging between Seulgi and him. The woman giggles while he is poking her cheek with his muzzle, pushing his head away only to end up pulling him closer. Joohyun feels like she is interrupting something, they are basically flirting in front of her.

 

“You trust him so much.” She mumbles without thinking, watching Seulgi finally untangle herself from the stallion who turns away, back to nibbling on grass. “Aren’t you afraid of being bitten?”

 

Seulgi laughs, shaking her head. “He bit me a couple of times before and there’s always a risk. But yeah, I trust him because I speak his language.”

 

“His language.”

 

“Yeah. We teach horses how to tolerate our bodies on top of their own. How to start walking, when to stop, where to turn. But if we don’t learn their body language, or what their sounds mean, then we can never form a bond. I respect his needs, treat him as family and he returns the same feelings to me. In his own way, of course.”

 

Rêve lifts his head when Seulgi makes a fist, giving his muzzle three gentle taps with her knuckles. The stallion huffs and turns around, starting to walk back towards the house. Seulgi offers Joohyun a smile and a hat tip. “He says it’s time to go. Was nice talking to you, unnie. See you around.”

 

She follows the horse and Joohyun just stands there, silent.



 

**



 

"How is he feeling?"

 

Sooyoung lifts her head from her book, first looking at Joohyun, then turning to the TV and watching a man groom his horse. Joohyun has been watching this movie for an hour now, completely focused on the screen. "The man?"

 

"The horse." Joohyun says and starts explaining. "His ears were lowered during the war scene. He was pawing at the ground when they locked him in the cell. But he's not doing anything here."

 

Sooyoung chuckles and turns back to the book, but decides to humor Joohyun. "Well, maybe he's just happy. The man is cleaning his mane. You like it when someone plays with your hair, right?"

 

Joohyun keeps her gaze locked on the screen. Sooyoung understands the older woman is pleased with her answer when she simply hums.



 

**



 

Sooyoung believes something broke her friend because Joohyun actually wants to accompany her to Seungwan's clinic on Friday morning. No, broken must be an understatement. Something consumed her from within and captured the real Joohyun.

 

And she confirms her theory when Joohyun wants to watch Seungwan lift a horse's hoof to take a look at an infection.

 

Mostly though, all she does is observe the horse’s reactions to Seungwan’s touch.

 

“A beautiful mare, eh?” Boasts the horse’s owner, with a proud grin. “Pure English. Was in top shape just a year ago. Now all she does is lose races because something else happens to her each week. The bills I pay for her…”

 

Joohyun studies the mare turning her ears, head hanging low. Then she turns, looks him in the eye and says, “I think she’s sad. Maybe you should respect her needs.”

 

A few moments later the man pays Seungwan, grumbling things under his breath as he leaves with his horse. Sooyoung frowns at Joohyun. “What, are you a horse guru now? The horse whisperer?”

 

Joohyun crosses her arms over her chest. “Did I say something wrong? She seemed sad and I just wanted to help. He’s the one who can’t take criticism.”

 

Sooyoung wants to argue, really, how did this woman turn into someone who cares about horses from someone who hides behind her shoulder in a few days? Though she knows it would be pointless when Joohyun has that stubborn look in her eyes.

 

She just sighs. “Whatever you say, unnie.”



 

**



 

When Seulgi, Seungwan and Yerim come together, they are loud.

 

When Sooyoung joins them, Joohyun prays for her ears.

 

But when the red wine loosens her up a bit, even their cackles are quite pleasant.

 

Kim Yerim is the youngest person among them, yet she has traveled, seen and experienced so many things till this day that Joohyun is captivated by her stories.

 

“And then, we surround these three hunters.” Yerim says, demonstrating their positions with her fork and knife. “We basically caught them red handed, the sheriff is literally standing next to me, but they demand to be left alone and point their rifles at us. Then, an officer risks a step towards one of them, the hunter panics and shoots and the bullet barely misses Seulgi’s arm.”

 

“Nothing bad, just a graze.” The girls gasp while Seulgi laughs, shaking her head. The wine put a lovely flush on her cheeks and it is spreading to her ears and neck, visible under her t-shirt. “Out of all the people there with us, it found me.”

 

Seungwan sighs. “Unbelievable…”

 

“Just a representation of my luck in life.” Seulgi jokes, earning a round of laughter.

 

They refill their glasses and Yerim smiles at their guests. “I think that was enough funny stories on our side. Why don’t you two tell us more about yourselves?”

 

Joohyun could have focused better without this much wine in her system (and without Seulgi’s warm gaze), but she still manages to shrug. “There isn’t much to tell, really. We are your regular, workaholic city girls.”

 

“You definitely aren’t regular city girls. Trust me, I’ve seen so many around here.” Yerim rolls her eyes. “They complain about everything!”

 

“I agree with Yerim.” Seungwan giggles. “I’m sure you have so many stories, too.”

 

Sooyoung nods at Joohyun, wanting her to speak. Joohyun leans on her hand, thinking. “Sooyoung and I met in college. We have our differences, many of them, but we realized that somehow, we work well together. Fashion design is our passion. Sometimes we travel to hunt for new ideas because they don’t come at you in a boring office. You have to find them, put in some effort. This is our longest trip so far.”

 

“So you’re here for just fashion ideas?” Seulgi asks, though her smile is good natured.

 

“If you came for a y lumberjack clothing line, I’m sorry but this isn’t the place.”

 

They all laugh at Yerim, then Joohyun continues once the room is silent again, unaware of Seulgi’s gaze following each small movement. “Although we wouldn’t say no to new ideas, we aren’t here for them. The city can be suffocating sometimes. I don’t think I’m running away from the buildings, the traffic or the pollution, it’s more like… I want to leave that fast paced, demanding world and its fake people for a while.”

 

Joohyun takes a deep breath and waits, but no one disturbs the silence. Suddenly, it is much easier to open up. “I achieved so many things in life. I got my dream job, established my own brand, opened up stores all over Asia, but I haven’t been thinking about myself. You consider the stock market, seasonal trends, colors and fabrics, fashion weeks, models, employees and customers, but you don’t consider yourself. You busy yourself so much that you become numb, a stranger to your own feelings. It’s scary.”

 

“So…” Sooyoung joins, squeezing Joohyun’s shoulder. “We came here to slow down a little. Especially for Joohyun unnie, because this woman stays alive with one meal a day and that’s unhealthy. It is equally impressive and terrifying.”

 

The dinner is probably the most fun Joohyun has had in the past few months. When Seungwan has to collect their wine glasses, saying they’ve had more than enough, Yerim and Sooyoung invade the kitchen to make coffee. Joohyun goes to the verandah to have some fresh air, leaning on the railings. It is a warm night so she doesn’t need a jacket to cover her exposed shoulders. 

  

“There you are.” Seulgi speaks from behind, smiling once Joohyun turns to face her. “The coffee is ready, come on.”

 

“You girls go ahead. I don't drink coffee.” Joohyun smiles back and Seulgi tilts her head, surprised. “I don't really like it.”

 

Seulgi sighs. “We should've brewed tea, then. I'll make some for you-”

 

“No, no, you don't have to.” Joohyun approaches Seulgi who is standing near the doorway, watching her. “I don't want to sober up just yet.”

 

The younger woman chuckles and Joohyun wants to hear that happy sound again. “Alright, I respect that. Mind if I join you?”

 

They sit side by side on the comfortable chairs, looking up at the stars. Joohyun has never seen so many at once, Seoul’s own lights make it impossible.

 

“I'm glad you and Sooyoung came here, unnie.” Seulgi speaks. Her voice is quiet, earnest. “You seemed so stressed when you talked about Seoul, and yourself.”

 

Joohyun leans back and smiles. “You know, I didn’t want to go anywhere at first. And if we did, I’d want to visit somewhere else, but Sooyoung dragged me here. So yes, I’m glad she did, too.”

 

“Jeju grows on you quickly.” Seulgi chuckles. “You’ll never want to leave.”

 

After a few moments of silence, Joohyun turns to Seulgi. “Other than Yerim’s stories, you didn’t talk much about yourself.” She states her observation and Seulgi’s shoulders tense up slightly. “Were you born and raised here?”

 

Seulgi rubs her neck, looking down at the ground. “Well, no, not really. I’m actually from Ansan.”

 

“Oh, Ansan?”

 

“Yeah.” Seulgi nods. “I lived there until we moved to Jeju seven years ago.”

 

Seulgi’s warm eyes are so dull and dark that Joohyun frowns. “I’m sorry, is it a sensitive topic?”

 

“No, not really.” Seulgi shakes her head immediately. “No need to apologize, unnie. I mean, it kind of is sensitive, but… Let’s say that I don’t like remembering those days. That’s all.”

 

Before Joohyun can speak, the door swings open and Yerim peeks out. “Where have you two been? Come in, we have cookies!”

 

The dinner ends and Seulgi offers to walk Joohyun and Sooyoung home. “Joohyun unnie, uhm,” Seulgi starts, clearing . They are standing in front of the door and Seulgi is blushing for some reason.

 

“I’ll use the bathroom first!” Sooyoung announces loudly, running upstairs.

 

“Yes, Seulgi-ssi?” Joohyun encourages the young woman.

 

Seulgi gulps. “Would you like to visit our ranch tomorrow? No pressure of course, I just thought I could give you a tour, show you around, mom’s going to make some pie and I might’ve talked about you so she wanted me to invite you, she wants to meet you and-”

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun bites her lip so she doesn’t giggle. “I’d love to.”

 

The young woman pauses, then grins, nodding. “Alright, cool. Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow, then?”

 

“See you tomorrow.”



 

**

 

 

 

If Seulgi had to define Bae Joohyun in a single, fancy word, it would be enigmatic.

 

Seulgi observes her carefully, trying to read her expression as they walk together. Joohyun likes the large field, gently touching the golden wheat, acts like she understands everything while Seulgi explains the irrigation method they use and why it is the most profitable, frowns at the smell of chicken coops-- but most of the time, she shows a silent curiosity, listening to Seulgi without interrupting.

 

And Seulgi knows this silence is simply because she chooses so, she has already seen how loud Joohyun can be during the dinner party. She easily chats with Seulgi’s mother, praising her apple pie they have after lunch. Even Seulgi’s older brother (who can be an annoying pain in the ) seems to like her, telling her embarrassing childhood stories of Seulgi just to make her laugh.

 

“Can you just shut up for a second?” She asks, frowning, arms crossed over her chest.

 

“No, no, she has to hear this too.” He grins and leans in, Joohyun is already focused on him.

 

“That jerk… He crossed the line.” Seulgi grumbles the moment she can drag Joohyun out of the house. “I’ll get back at him, somehow.”

 

“Oh, but it was so much fun.” Joohyun giggles. “You are cute, Seulgi-ssi.”

 

Seulgi turns red.

 

Alright, maybe her brother can get away with one more if Joohyun is going to look at her with that smile again.



 

**



 

And she does.

 

Despite being used to Jeju’s slow pace, Seulgi has never wanted the time to slow down. She likes living in the moment, following her heart and guts. However as the days pass and the heat of July rolls in, she wants to freeze time.

 

The five of them are inseparable. Funny, Joohyun and Sooyoung fit so well in their group that it confuses her. It is like they have always been there, joining their morning hikes, weekend parties, reaching for an apple from the tree in Yerim’s family farm, helping Seungwan manage tons of files and even taking part in the forest trips.

 

Joohyun is still scared of horses. That doesn’t change.

 

But she smiles. She smiles so brightly, so sincerely that Seulgi lets it all slide. Joohyun is going at her own pace and that is fine. 

 

She simply waits. When Joohyun wants to reach out, she will be there.



 

** 



 

Seulgi finds her in the stables one day, in front of Rêve’s stall, with some distance between herself and him. Seulgi’s mother’s horse Yuma also seems confused, watching Joohyun from her own stall.

 

Joohyun is talking with the stallion. And he is listening.

 

“Uigwi-ri is really nice.” Joohyun tells him with a soft tone, while Seulgi silently approaches them. “I only cared about those five-star resorts before. I couldn’t really imagine myself in a farm, you know. Neither me nor Sooyoung have any experience with that. The girls are so patient with us, though.”

 

Seulgi smiles and notices that Joohyun is smiling, too. “Especially Seulgi. She would make a good teacher. You must remember the time I almost got my hand caught in a gin trap while trying to disarm it. I’ve never seen her so horrified and angry before, but she still tried to calm me down instead of herself.” 

 

Joohyun pauses for a moment. “Your human is a good person. Life always punishes the good. Other people, too. They can’t handle how soft, how open and honest you are. But you must be nice to her, alright?”

 

Rêve nickers, shaking his head. “That’s a good boy.”

 

“I see you two are getting along.” Seulgi calls after swallowing the lump in and startles Joohyun. She approaches, Rêve nickers again and Seulgi greets him with a knuckle touch. “Hey, buddy.”

 

“How much of it did you hear?” Joohyun asks, blushing. 

 

Seulgi grins. “Not much. Though, you’re warming up to him. I’m surprised.”

 

Joohyun studies the stallion, humming. “He isn’t as scary as I thought he was, I suppose.”

 

“Wanna let him out and walk together?”

 

That is how they end up with Rêve standing in front of Joohyun, the older woman crouching slowly. “Seulgi I don’t think this is a good idea. I don’t want to do it. I really don’t want to.”

 

“It'll be okay, trust me.” Seulgi assures her, touching Joohyun’s shoulder. “Now, lift your fist up slowly. Knuckles up.”

 

Joohyun gulps, following Seulgi’s instructions. Rêve whips his tail around, leaning in towards Joohyun’s fist. The woman tenses up, but Seulgi holds her still.

 

“Easy, unnie. Wait, let him smell your hand.”

 

They wait until Rêve lifts his head up, still looking at Joohyun.

 

“You’re doing great.” Seulgi says, but Joohyun doesn’t stop shaking. “Don’t make eye contact and give his muzzle one gentle tap, like you’ve seen me do before.”

 

Joohyun gives the tap and Rêve stays, calm as ever. Seulgi smiles. “You just said hello to each other. Now, go for a second tap.”

 

Rêve makes a small sound once Joohyun gives the second tap. “Good job, unnie. You have his attention. One last tap, but tilt your body to the side after giving it. Breathe in and out. Then, stand up slowly and start walking.”

 

The woman follows Seulgi’s words, this time more confident. Rêve nickers after the third tap and lifts his head up. Joohyun takes small, hesitant steps away from Seulgi and the stallion turns to follow her, right behind her shoulder.

 

Joohyun looks over towards Seulgi with a happy, radiant grin, like she is asking if Seulgi saw that or not. The younger woman is already watching her with a proud smile. She catches up with them.

 

“I did it.” Joohyun breathes out, laughing softly and clinging on Seulgi’s arm. “I did it, Seulgi. He is following me.”

 

“He is, unnie. He is.” Seulgi smiles again and gestures at the large field ahead of them. “Lead the way.”

 

Joohyun is still so small compared to Rêve. Seulgi doesn’t know if it’s possible, but she decides to believe that the stallion knows he shouldn’t make quick and harsh movements, always staying inside Joohyun’s vision and at a distance, while Joohyun doesn’t force him around or try to touch him more and more.

 

They respect each other.

 

“Beautiful.” Joohyun mumbles when they stop for a break under an apple tree. Her eyes follow Rêve as he walks around and nibbles on grass.

 

She doesn’t realize that Seulgi is looking at her when she responds, softly,

 

“Yes.”



 

**

 


 

“Seul, do the trick.” Seungwan grins. They are under the same apple tree again, but this time with the girls and the horses. Rêve socializes with Yerim’s mare, Rain, walking and trotting around the tree. “You haven’t shown it to Sooyoung and Joohyun unnie yet.”

 

“The trick?” Sooyoung asks, curious.

 

“It’s amazing, you’ll see.” Yerim giggles. “Come on, unnie!”

 

Seulgi laughs. “Alright, alright, I’ll do it.”

 

She turns to the horses and whistles. Rêve lifts his head, happily trotting to them, bumping his head against Seulgi’s shoulder. Joohyun smiles at the view. For the last few weeks, these two have been in the center of her days. Whatever she does, wherever she goes, Seulgi and Rêve follow.

 

There’s warmth in her heart, which surrounds her and makes her feel whole.

 

“Let’s go.” Seulgi mumbles and takes a step back from the stallion, jumping and trying to grab an apple from the branch. The girls laugh at first, she can’t even touch the apple with her height. Then, Seulgi stops and turns to her horse.

 

Joohyun’s eyes widen when Rêve takes a few steps back and jumps towards the branch, catching an apple.

 

The girls cheer and he nickers, shaking his head. “That was amazing!” Sooyoung laughs. The next thing they know, the stallion walks to Joohyun and drops the apple near her leg, gently pushing it forward with his muzzle. Joohyun sits up, looking at the apple, then him.

 

“Is it for me?” She asks softly with a smile, grabbing the apple after giving his head a gentle caress. “Thank you, Rêve.”

 

The stallion makes a happy sound and goes back to his friend and Joohyun’s gaze finds Seulgi’s.

 

“Told you. He likes you.”

 

Joohyun chuckles. “Aren’t you scared he will like me more than you?” She asks innocently and tosses the apple to Seulgi.

 

The woman catches it and snorts. “Like that’s even possible!”



 

**

  


 

Rêve is big.

 

Of course, Joohyun had noticed that before, but he seems even bigger now that she is about to try to get on his back.

 

“Seulgi, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

 

Seulgi laughs, putting a wooden box next to the horse. “That’s what you said the last time and it turned out to be fine. I’m right here, you’ve nothing to worry about. Step on the box now.”

 

Joohyun sighs and steps on it, feeling a bit better since Rêve is completely still and calm for now. “Left foot goes here,” Seulgi says, guiding Joohyun’s boots into the stirrup. “Now, you will pull yourself up and over his body. Like I showed you before. Pull.”

 

Joohyun grabs the pommel and pulls herself up, sitting on top of Rêve. She can feel his heartbeat, his warm body under hers.

 

“Alright, you look good.” Seulgi smiles. “If you ever feel uncomfortable, we’ll stop. Don’t let the pommel go and keep your balance with your knees. Ready?”

 

Joohyun breathes out. “Yes.”

 

Seulgi grabs the stallion’s leash and gently pulls him. They walk in circles around the large field surrounded by fences, and Joohyun holds onto the saddle like her life depends on it. It gets better in time, she gets used to Rêve’s walking and shifting, looking around. She is much taller this way, able to see so far and beyond.

 

“Just like that, unnie. Keep your back straight.” Seulgi says, looking over her shoulder with a grin. “How’s the air up there?”

 

“It’s good, I suppose.” Joohyun smiles, adjusting her riding helmet. “You can give me the reins.”

 

Seulgi chuckles. “Not that fast, champion. Not until you’re completely familiar with him.”

 

Each day after that evening, Joohyun visits the Kang family ranch for horse riding lessons with Seulgi.

 

“If you simply learn how to direct the horse, it will help you get from point A to point B.” Seulgi talks to her while Joohyun is turning around her, learning how to control Rêve with the reins. “If you learn how to walk, trot and gallop with the horse, it will do much more. Remember, it is always a team effort.”

 

Days pass by quickly. Seulgi is good at teaching just like she predicted before, helping Joohyun through each step of the way.

 

“You did good today, unnie.” Seulgi tells her quietly, in one of the evenings. Joohyun is sitting on the grass, legs spread, and Seulgi is massaging her inner thighs. She is glad that the tiring activity has made her flush before, so Seulgi won’t understand why her face is still red like a tomato. “You work so hard.”

 

“I don’t think I will be able to walk any time soon.”

 

Seulgi grins. “Then you won’t.”



 

**



 

“Oh, my,” Sooyoung takes a step back after opening the door, letting Seulgi in. For some reason, she is carrying the older woman in her arms, slowly walking and leaving her on the couch. “Did she fall or something?”

 

“No, she is perfectly fine.” Seulgi chuckles, patting Joohyun’s knee once. “She just needs some rest.”


 

  

**



 

It gets worse, but better each day.

 

Joohyun learns so fast that they are now able to venture out from the closed field, riding side by side. This is happiness, Joohyun notices, catching Seulgi’s warm and proud gaze as they ride through pine trees, giggling when their knees bump against each other. 

 

This is freedom.



 

**



 

“I wanted to be an artist.” Seulgi mumbles one night and Joohyun turns to her. They are under the apple tree, both unable to sleep after the weekend party, no matter how late it is. Joohyun can still hear the faint music coming from the farm next to theirs. “My father and uncle had a business together. They were able to support my hobby, dreams and my education. Before I could graduate from art school, the business sank. It turned out that my uncle was a gambler. He had so much debt that we had to sell everything and come here, take over my grandfather’s ranch.”

 

Joohyun frowns, lips parting. She reaches, holding Seulgi’s hand. Seulgi gives her a bitter smile to show her gratitude. “I’m so sorry, Seulgi…” Joohyun says.

 

“Don’t be.” Seulgi squeezes her hand gently. “One door closes, another opens, right?. At least, that’s what my mother tells me to believe.”

 

Of course. Even Seulgi who has strong beliefs and a strong heart breaks sometimes. Just like everyone else.

 

Joohyun turns their hands and slowly intertwines their fingers. Seulgi’s gulp is almost audible. “Your mother is right. That’s why it is important to have faith. Faith in yourself.”

 

Seulgi doesn’t speak. She simply nods once, covering their joined hands with her other hand. Funny, it encourages Joohyun to speak more instead of Seulgi. “You can be content with what you have right now, Seulgi.” She says and the younger woman looks into her eyes. Their faces are close. “At the same time, you are allowed to want more. Search for more. If you don’t try, you will live with a burden.”

 

For the first time, Seulgi seems tired. Joohyun wonders if she had been like this too, if Seulgi had sensed it and tried to do something, to ease her, to help her get away.

 

“Hey,” Joohyun sits up when a lone tear rolls down Seulgi’s cheek, reaching to wipe it away. “I’m here, Seulgi, right here. Let it out.”

 

“I had so many things to do.” Seulgi hisses, frowning so hard that even the gentle touch of Joohyun’s thumb isn’t enough to rub it away. “I had so many things to say. But I had to leave it all behind. Even when we got enough money, I refused to go back. The years had already gone by, doing nothing. I thought I’d never be able to draw again. I just… Couldn’t do it all over again.”

 

Joohyun pulls her in, so Seulgi can lean on her shoulder. Her fingers tangle in Seulgi’s hair, combing through, caressing. “You were scared.”

 

“...I was.”

 

Seulgi pulls back after a while, but they are still close. Her deep exhale hits Joohyun’s cheek as she rubs her eyes and cheeks, sniffing. “Thank you, unnie. I really needed that.”

 

“Anytime.” Joohyun tells her, smiling.

 

Seulgi’s response is a bitter smile and a huff. “Anytime, huh? You’re leaving in two weeks.”

 

Joohyun can’t face her when Seulgi’s eyes bore into her like that. She turns to look at the full moon, the sparkling stars. “I am.”

 

Seulgi huffs again, but much softer this time. She reaches, holding Joohyun’s hand again. That gets her attention and she finds the courage to look at Seulgi. The night sky is already reflected there, in those brown irises. “Unnie…” She starts, just a quiet whisper. “Am I really allowed to want more?”

 

It takes only a few seconds for Joohyun to understand that Seulgi isn’t talking about drawing. She isn’t talking about Seoul or Jeju. She is talking about the apple tree. The riding lessons. The loud, crowded dinners full of laughter. The silly dancing in the parties. The strolls through the forest.

 

“Yes.” Joohyun answers automatically, just as quietly. “Yes you are.”

 

Seulgi’s lips taste sweet and Joohyun is too gone to analyse which flavor her lip balm is. She feels as good as she looks-- the large fields, the burning sun, the cool breeze, a playful nicker, a pine cone all rolled into one person, one soul. Joohyun reaches to be closer, hugging her neck and Seulgi hums, holding her cheeks in return.

 

“More?” Is Seulgi’s question.

 

“More.” Comes Joohyun's answer.



 

**



 

They don’t sleep that night. They keep each other awake, wanting more and more until exhaustion gets to them.

 

Joohyun almost whines when Seulgi leaves the bed and opens her wardrobe. “What are you doing?” she mumbles, rubbing her neck. Behind her, the sun starts to rise between the mountains. “Come here.”

 

“Give me a moment, unnie…” Seulgi trails off as she opens a box and rummages through it. When she comes back to Joohyun’s side, she gives her a large notebook. “Take a look.”

 

Seulgi settles behind Joohyun as the older woman leans on her chest and opens the first page. Her eyes grow a bit wider with each drawing they land on, lips parting. Seulgi is rubbing slow circles on her tummy, hugging her from behind. “Seulgi, these are beautiful… You can use many techniques.”

 

“This notebook is new.” Seulgi mumbles against her shoulder, breathing in Joohyun’s scent. “It has been empty since last year, but you inspired me. Turn the page.”

 

Joohyun can’t help but chuckle at the drawings she finds in further pages. She seems to be the main subject in each, along with Réve and the girls. There are portraits of her, from many angles. “Oh my,” She shakes her head. “Should I be scared that you pictured each detail? It’s creepy, Kang Seulgi.”

 

The younger girl laughs softly, poking Joohyun’s side. “Don’t tease me. I’m nervous right now.”

 

“You have no reason to be.” Joohyun joins her, giggling. She turns her head to press a kiss on Seulgi’s cheek. “I love them. It is clear that you have the skill and potential to achieve more.”

 

Seulgi smiles and Joohyun’s hair. “Thank you, unnie.” When Joohyun goes back to examining the drawings again, she speaks once more. “I want you to take the notebook. That way, you will always have a piece of me with you.”

 

Joohyun gulps, remembering the pages they rip from the calendar day by day. Seoul seems closer than ever now that the summer is coming to an end.

 

“I will take good care of it, Seulgi.” Joohyun promises. “Thank you.”

 

Seulgi’s smile is bittersweet.  



 

**



 

They don’t talk about the notebook again. Joohyun spends her days with Seoul in the corner of her mind, with Seulgi, Réve and the girls by her side. She catches the way they look at her sometimes, with unanswered questions hanging in the air between them. Seulgi tries to make it easy for her, loving her with every opportunity she finds and opening her heart.

 

Joohyun appreciates her, even after she realizes it makes everything harder for her.

 

She doesn’t want Seulgi to be a fling or a meaningless summer lover.

 

“Seulgi,” she starts one night, hesitant. Seulgi hums, busy kissing Joohyun’s neck, their limbs tangled under the blanket, on their favorite spot which is Seulgi’s bed. “Come to Seoul with me.”

 

The younger girl freezes, lifting her head to look at Joohyun’s face. “What?”

 

This time, Joohyun tries with a firm voice. “Come to Seoul with me.”

 

“Unnie…” Seulgi sighs, staying up with the help of her elbows, rubbing her face. “You know I am needed here on the farm and someone has to lead the forester team.”

 

Joohyun’s gaze is pleading, begging. “Your brother is here and your parents aren’t old. I’m sure they can manage somehow. It’s not impossible-”

 

“I can’t.” Seulgi whispers. “Everything I have left is here. I can’t leave.”

 

After that moment, it is meaningless to push her.  



 

**



 

“How are we going to move on, unnie?”

 

Joohyun doesn’t lift her gaze, but she stops chopping the carrots. Sooyoung sits on the small table behind her, leaning on her elbows, her own gaze locked on an invisible point. She knows that Sooyoung knows. She knows about the secret kisses, the gazes. The young woman has always been observant.

 

“We will leave.”

 

Sooyoung scoffs. “Moving on and leaving are two different things, you know.”

 

Yes, she does.

 

“Can you really forget her? Forget Rêve? Because I can’t forget Seungwan, nor her clinic, nor her dog.”

 

Joohyun leaves the knife on the counter, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

 

“I don’t have an answer, Sooyoung. I don’t.”

 

Sooyoung doesn’t speak. Joohyun continues to chop the carrots.

 

Sparrows fly over the wheat field in the distance.



 

**



 

Joohyun is a light sleeper. She doesn’t need someone to shout for her to wake up.

 

She opens her eyes. 

 

Wait, why are people shouting?

 

Her watch reads 3 a.m. as she rushes downstairs. Sooyoung quickly joins her, confused. “What is happening?”

 

Joohyun steps out to the road and that’s when the unmistakable smell of burning wood hits her.

 

“The Kang’s ranch.” She mumbles when her eyes follow the heavy smoke and the folk running to the field in their pajamas. “Sooyoung, run!”

 

“Over here, goddamn it!” Seungwan is shouting, pulling a cow forward and away from the crowd, turning the hose on and washing the poor animal suffering from the smoke. “Take the others to the side! Yerim, grab the other hose!”

 

“Seungwan!” Joohyun runs, Sooyoung is right next to her. “Where is Seulgi?!”

 

Seungwan’s jaw clenches. “She went inside the barn with her brother! They are pulling the animals out- unnie, wait!”

 

Joohyun doesn’t hear the rest of her words, sprinting into the crowd. The people are carrying buckets of water, trying to reach the roof from the side. Joohyun’s eyes scan the area in the dark, lit up by the flames, and she spots Seulgi running out of the barn, releasing the small calf in her arms to run inside once more.

 

“Seulgi!” She screams to be heard and the young woman hears her, watching Joohyun run to her.

 

“Joohyun,” Seulgi starts, her skin blackened just like her clothes. “I have to-”

 

“How can I help?” Joohyun asks immediately, holding Seulgi’s arms.

 

The young woman gulps, then nods. “I need you to empty the stables. The flames might jump there, they are out of control. Take someone with you and get the horses out, please.”

 

Joohyun nods and pulls her in, kissing her cheek. “Be careful.”

 

“You too.” Seulgi kisses her back and turns, running inside.

 

Joohyun watches her go before running back to the girls. “Yerim, come with me!”

 

They go to the stables and push the doors open, taking the horses out from their stalls one by one. “Rêve,” Joohyun says as she tries to pull the nervous stallion out. “Come on, boy. I know you’re scared, come on.”

 

Rêve finally obeys after a loud huff, letting Joohyun take her away to join the others.

 

“Okay, tie them here.” Yerim tells her once the horses are at a safe distance and they tie them to the fence. “This should be fine.”

 

“It is going to collapse!”

 

“Get back!”

 

They both turn with the scream and watch the barn’s roof crack in half before collapsing.

 

“,” Yerim breathes and they run back to the barn. Seulgi’s brother is staggering to the side, being held up by their mother and a man while Seulgi is on her knees, watching the barn burn.  

 

A fire truck arrives, sirens blazing. The firemen tell everyone to stay back, empty the area. Seulgi doesn’t budge until Joohyun is next to her, hugging her shoulders. “Come on, Seulgi. They have to do their job.”

 

Seulgi stands up wordlessly and leans on Joohyun, walking to the verandah where her mother is washing her brother’s face.

 

“Seul, sit down. Here.” She says, sighing. “Oh, my poor girl.”

 

Joohyun grabs a water bottle and kneels in front of Seulgi, gently washing her face. Seulgi’s breathing is heavy and strained, closing her eyes as the water cools her. “The horses, Joohyun.” She mumbles. “Are they safe?”

 

The older woman bites her lip so she can hold her tears back. “Yes, Seulgi. They are all safe.”

 

“I couldn’t save them all.” Seulgi keeps mumbling. “I couldn’t.”

 

“It’s not your fault. You did your best, look, they are washing the animals over there.” Joohyun shakes her head, holding Seulgi’s cheek. “Breathe with me.”

 

The townsfolk find covered horse tracks later in the night, starting from the fence and leading into the forest. It takes all four of them to stop Seulgi from tracking them down and Joohyun has to stay with her to make sure she is okay.

 

“Go back to sleep, baby.” Joohyun whispers on her forehead when Seulgi stirs awake with the first lights of the day, burying her face in Joohyun’s chest with a soft groan. The older woman is cradling her head, caressing her hair. “I’m here.”

 

Seulgi’s father returns from the city center after receiving the news. The attackers knew he was out of town. They watch the man’s face fall at the destroyed barn, his eyes full of silent rage.

 

“It is a threat. A warning.” He mumbles. Seulgi stays close to Joohyun while her brother stands next to their father. “Next time they will burn the house and I won’t even know.”

 

“Did they start the investigation?” Seulgi’s brother asks.

 

“Yes.” 

 

Joohyun goes back to her villa, wanting to leave them alone for some time.



 

**



 

She doesn’t hear anything from Seulgi until she knocks on their door three days later. The young woman seems tired, but her smile is warm. “We got them, unnie.”

 

Joohyun sighs and returns Seulgi’s smile, pulling her in for a hug. “Oh, Seulgi, I’m so relieved to hear that. Come in.”

 

Sooyoung is with Seungwan, so the kitchen is empty while they settle on the table with tea mugs in their hands. “I’m sorry for disappearing.” Seulgi apologizes, holding Joohyun’s hand. “I didn’t want you to see me like that.”

 

“Nonsense.” Joohyun shakes her head and squeezes Seulgi’s hand. “Tell me everything.”

 

They were a bunch of hunters. Because of the forester team, their shady business wasn’t thriving as usual and they wanted revenge. After a wide investigation both in the city and the forest, the police had found their hiding spot. Now, a lovely time in court awaited them.

 

The girls are invited to the dinner Kang family arranges the next day and Joohyun finds the chance to meet Seulgi’s father. He is simply a busy man with a tiring job that demands him to travel a lot, but it doesn’t mean he loves his family any less. Joohyun easily understands that Seulgi shares a special bond with him, taking most of her features and characteristics from him.

 

Joohyun shares that they rented the house her and Sooyoung stay in at the moment, and the older man lifts an eyebrow. “You should buy it! We’d love to spend more holidays with you all. I’ll talk to the owner and bargain for a good price. I can convince him.”

 

Sooyoung shrugs with a happy smile when Joohyun looks at her. “Thank you so much, Mr. Kang. We had been considering it, actually.”

 

Seulgi holds her hand under the table and grins, helping Joohyun relax.

 

They still have a chance to share this connection.



 

**



 

The next day, Joohyun and Seulgi return from a stroll with Réve, only to find Sooyoung waiting for them under the apple tree.

 

“Hey, Seulgi.” Sooyoung smiles, but it doesn’t reach her eyes. “Can I talk to Joohyun for a second?”

 

Seulgi nods and tugs on Réve’s halter. “I’ll be at the stables.”

 

“What’s wrong, Soo?”

 

Sooyoung takes a deep breath. “Soojung called. Fall season fashion week schedules were taken to one week earlier than planned. Soojung needs us there or we won’t be able to debut our new franchise. We have to catch the earliest flight back to Seoul.”

 

Joohyun frowns and feels her chest clench. That means they can’t spend the remaining two weeks of August in Jeju.

 

Watching her friend, Sooyoung reaches to hold her shoulder. “Why don’t you stay here one more week, unnie? I can go on my own, speed things up and cover for you.”

 

Joohyun takes a deep breath. There isn’t really a decision to make.

 

“Please book our seats, Sooyoung.” Joohyun mumbles. “I’ll say goodbye and pack our bags.”

 

Sooyoung nods slowly. “Okay, unnie.”

 

Joohyun waits until Sooyoung crosses the fence and turns to find Seulgi. She is still in the stables, feeding Réve a carrot. From Joohyun’s expression alone, she must have understood what was wrong, as she frowns slightly.

 

“We have to leave tonight.” Joohyun explains quietly. “They need us in Seoul.”

 

Seulgi pats Réve’s neck and leaves his side to focus on Joohyun. “So… This is goodbye?”

 

Joohyun tries. She tries to hold her tears back. This is nothing like purchasing that small villa and ensuring that they can still visit Jeju from time to time and get together with everyone. This really is goodbye, because they will never get to see the possibilities come to life.

 

They could be much, much more.

 

Seulgi is the first fragment of something real for Joohyun, and she is the first inspiration Seulgi found in years. Joohyun’s job is demanding just like Seulgi’s family. They complete each other, but they are from different worlds that don’t have a crossing point. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Joohyun apologizes and Seulgi scoffs at her, holding her cheeks to wipe the tears away. “I don’t want you to become a memory, Seulgi.”

 

“Hey,” Seulgi tries to calm her. “You know where to find me, unnie. Whenever you need me.”

 

Joohyun nods, leaning her forehead against Seulgi’s and inhaling deeply. “I know. Thank you, Seulgi. For everything.”

 

Their gazes are full of love and broken hopes, but they don’t voice anything. They hold each other and the horses are silent, the wind slows down and the birds fly over the fields.

 

Joohyun pulls back and turns to Réve after wiping her cheeks. The horse huffs, stretching his neck forward to welcome Joohyun’s touch. With a small smile, Joohyun caresses his soft coat and hugs his head, pressing a kiss on the spot between his eyes. “Remember what I told you?” she whispers as if he could understand. That is the person this horse and his owner turned her into, and she doesn’t feel bad about it. “Take care of each other. Goodbye, Réve.”

 

He stays still as Joohyun turns away. Seulgi is waiting for her, hands tucked in the pockets of her jeans, smiling gently. “Come on. I’ll walk you out.”

 

No matter how much they refuse, Seulgi insists on driving to the airport with them and the girls. Joohyun and Sooyoung don’t talk about the tears as they pack their bags. They don’t have dinner, no one has the appetite, and leave.

 

Joohyun hugs Yerim tightly at the airport and even she doesn’t have a joke to crack anymore. They don’t watch the way Sooyoung and Seungwan whisper to each other. They don’t say goodbye.

 

“Take care, okay?” Seungwan shouts as Sooyoung and Joohyun walk away. “Don’t skip meals and don’t forget to call!”

 

Sooyoung lets Joohyun lean on her shoulder during the plane ride, holding her hand under the blanket they share.



 

**



 

Bae&Park offices are busy as ever.

 

Joohyun spends the first week catching up with their projects and upcoming schedules. Their employees pretend not to notice anything when they ask about Jeju and the woman dodges their questions every single time. Seulgi’s notebook takes its place in the top drawer of Joohyun’s desk and it feels like she is a part of her now, carrying her through countless hours of reading, designing and many discussions.

 

Sooyoung talks to Seungwan or Yerim almost every single day and Joohyun sometimes finds the courage to ask about Seulgi and Réve.

 

They are doing fine, the girls say. Seulgi has devoted herself to the forest and draws frequently while Réve is waiting for a pureblood mare to arrive at the ranch, so they can continue his bloodline. Imagining a foal running around the field brings a smile to Joohyun’s face. Maybe Seulgi will teach the little horse the apple tree trick. She would love to see it.

 

“I didn’t know you were the type to get stuck on a summer love, unnie.”

 

Joohyun lifts her head from the fabric catalog and turns to Soojung. “Pardon me?”

 

Soojung sighs. “You are too obvious.”

 

“It’s all in the past.” Joohyun mumbles with a slight blush adorning her cheeks. “We wouldn’t work anyway.”

 

“Did you even try before deciding that?” The younger woman asks, crossing her arms over her chest. “I would love to meet the person who managed to smooth your rough edges.”

 

Joohyun narrows her eyes. “My rough edges?”

 

Soojung is one of the few people who is immune to Joohyun’s intimidating aura, so she simply shrugs. “You might not have noticed, but we did. You smile more, you are kinder to yourself and to other people. For the love of God, you have not skipped a single meal since you came back. That tells a lot.”

 

Joohyun’s expression softens as she remembers Seungwan’s delicious cooking and the laughter that surrounded their table, how flushed Yerim and Sooyoung looked while they tried to convince others they were completely sober, and Seulgi’s warm gaze, her silent presence.

 

“Is it really impossible, unnie?” Soojung asks quietly.

 

Joohyun blinks, turning the pages of the catalog. “I don’t know, Soojung.”

 

The younger woman doesn’t bring it up again.



 

**



 

Fashion weeks are tiring, but rewarding.

 

After each showcase, Joohyun and Sooyoung take their places on the stage and bow, thanking their audience for attending. They have been gathering more and more attention from all across the continent and it shows as many other investors visit their shows to catch a few minutes of their time and book a meeting for new opportunities.

 

This means that towards the end of the year, Bae&Park continue growing and recruiting more people to work with and create wonders. The owners are two perfectionists, so it doesn’t surprise Joohyun when they finish another series of back to back interviews and still can’t find the right candidate for the design team. She wants to see a new, different way of thinking. Someone who isn’t afraid to explore, but who fits her vision and understands her.

 

Sooyoung had given up around 5 pm and Joohyun volunteered to see it through herself. She checks her watch when their secretary enters the room, sighing. The recruitment process always gives her a headache. “It’s almost 6 pm. Do we have anyone else, Mina?”

 

“The last candidate, ma’am. Here is her resume and portfolio. I’ll send her in a moment.”

 

“Thank you.” Joohyun mumbles, arranging the scattered files and taking the new ones from Mina. The moment she turns the first page, her heart stops beating.

 

Someone enters the room and the door clicks shut. She lifts her head to welcome the candidate, who is smiling. “...Kang Seulgi.”

 

“That’s me, Miss Bae.” Seulgi says smoothly and crosses the room, taking her place on the opposite end of the table. “It is great to see you again.”

 

Joohyun blinks, unsure whether this is a dream or not. “You are here.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes soften at Joohyun’s quiet tone. “I am.”

 

“But…” Joohyun starts, trying to choose her words. “How? Why?”

 

“I missed you.” Seulgi explains. “I felt miserable. Since you left, all I’ve done is drawing and thinking about you. Then I remembered our conversation. You were the one who told me that it was okay to want more. So… I came here.”

 

Joohyun shakes her head, turning to Seulgi’s portfolio. “Seulgi, I need to think professionally-” She pauses, studying the designs and the pictures of finished products. “Did you make all of these?”

 

Seulgi nods. “Yerim’s distant cousin owns a boutique here. She helped me rent a place in the city center and taught me everything she knows. I have been in Seoul since late August, to prepare myself. I want to work for you and become a designer, if you want to have me.”

 

Joohyun puts the files down and looks at Seulgi. The wall next to the table is covered with windows, allowing them to see the busy streets and luxurious buildings of Seoul. Hundreds of cars pass by below, creating a sea of flickering lights. The younger woman wears a neat and feminine suit, far different from her usual tank tops and jeans. Seeing her exist in Joohyun’s space and norms doesn’t feel real. She had never associated Seulgi with this city before and yet here she is-- sitting across Joohyun as if the mere mention of Seoul doesn’t pain her. 

 

Seulgi’s family isn’t here, neither are her friends, nor her job or the life she is used to. Seulgi left it all behind.

 

After all this time and all these sacrifices, the yearning and the memories…

 

Standing up, she walks across the table and prompts Seulgi to do the same, stretching her hand. “The procedure says that there will be a trial period before we make it official, three months. If you agree to these terms, why don’t we discuss the details during dinner?”

 

The smile Seulgi gives her is radiant enough to remind her of the burning sun. She takes Joohyun’s hand and gives it a firm shake. “Oh, but is this professional enough, Miss Bae?”

 

“You know, Seulgi,” Joohyun smiles, a second away from grabbing the collar of her jacket and kissing her. “I found out that I don’t care anymore.”



 

**



 

Joohyun didn’t expect this.

 

A part of her had been reluctant to accept Seulgi, because what would people think? A simple designer with a simple experience taking the empty spot in the design team which works directly with Bae Joohyun? She knew everyone would question it and start a brand new gossip that would somehow travel all the way to some news agency.

 

Joohyun didn’t expect people to fall in love with Seulgi.

 

Sooyoung had immediately tackled Seulgi when she entered Irene’s office at the start of the week and phoned Seungwan.

 

“You knew all along, right?” She demanded answers and Joohyun could almost hear Yerim’s cackling in the background. “How could you hide this from me?!”

 

How could I ruin the surprise, silly?

 

Other than Sooyoung and Soojung who had caught up on everything (a dangerously clever woman, really), people warm up to working with Seulgi more and more. Joohyun carefully evaluates Seulgi’s performance and understands that she has no intentions of slacking now that she is back with Joohyun. She is here to make her proud.

 

She is here to stay.



 

**   



 

Before she knows, it becomes a routine.

 

She finds a cup of tea on her desk every single morning. They see each other in meetings and Seulgi excels in her job. At this rate, she has the passion to take over any fashion brand she desires to have.

 

They invite each other to dinner sometimes, which may or may not lead to spending the whole night together. Joohyun starts going to bed with Seulgi’s hot breath on her hair and waking up to Seulgi’s arms around her.

 

“What’s with that smile?” Seulgi mumbles one morning, after catching Joohyun watching her sleep.

 

Joohyun chuckles, caressing Seulgi’s hair. “I still can’t believe you are here.”

 

“You better get used to it.” Seulgi smiles back and sits up, making Joohyun lay back down, placing a kiss on her temple. “I’m not going anywhere.”

 

Joohyun believes her.



 

**



 

Yerim enrolls in a university in Seoul and they manage to convince Seungwan to follow her steps. Sooyoung can’t sleep until the young veterinarian finds a place in an animal hospital located a few kilometers to the city center.

 

The first dinner they have is loud and messy as always, but Joohyun doesn’t want to have it any other way. Sooyoung interrogates Yerim about her latest campus crush while Seungwan updates Seulgi on the ranch back in Jeju. Réve is a father now, expecting a foal by the next spring. The animal barn is repaired and her brother leads the forester team with pride. The apple tree continues to provide its fruits.

 

“What’s with that smile?” Seulgi asks again that night, driving them back to Joohyun’s place.

 

Joohyun chuckles. “I love you.”

 

Seulgi gives her own response a while after, between breathless moments.



 

**



 

It all becomes a routine.

 

Joohyun realizes that she hasn’t been running away from the city and its people.

 

She was simply searching for someone to call home.