FInal

Gu Ren Gui

Kun and Ten had been in a staring match for the last 10 minutes and it seriously was a pain to watch so Doyoung stood nd bumped their heads together to stop.

 

“Can you two just get into a compromise?” Doyoung huffed and both Ten and Kun sighed.

 

“I am not asking anything extravagant Kun, I just need this collection for finals.” Ten argued.

 

“But you have model friends!” Kun replied. “Doyoung’s boyfriend can pass as a model.” Kun argued.

 

“Jaehyun is already doing the shoot, yes Taeyong hyung also recruited Yuta hyung, we also have Sicheng but they are all so typical model faces, we need regular good-looking people.” Ten argued.

 

“I look like a nerd, get Doyoung instead.” Kun insisted.

 

“I’m already doing a couple of looks and you look hot for a nerd.” Doyoung remarked.

 

“I just need you Kun, I have put together am ensemble just for you. Only you can pull it off!” Ten said and Kun glared at him more.  “Do you want me to pull the gratitude card?” Ten asked and Kun sighed.

 

“Fine. I can’t believe you’re going to use my project against me.” Kun sulked while Ten was cheering loudly and started dialing Taeyong’s number.

 

“He did help you choreograph that trap song and you got a high mark for it.” Doyoung reminded him and Kun nodded.

 

“Yeah, I don’t think I could pull off anything fancy but if it will help Ten, so be it.” Kun replied and Doyoung patted his back and smiled.

 

“Have some confidence, you’re not bad looking, quite the contrary I know a couple of people that has a crush on you.” Doyoung remarked and Kun gaped at him. “Trust me, you’re just too blind or blatantly ignoring those dreamy eyes around you.” Doyoung said and went to his room, leaving Kun in front of his lap top with the music software mocking him to finish one of his composition for submission.

 

 

---

 

Kun was lost with all the commotion that greeted him. Ten had told him to come to one of the design studios at the Fashion and Design building across campus. Ten and Taeyong had secured a conference room for the shoot of their finals collection but Kun was not aware that there were a lot of moving parts in the creation of the portfolio. He recognized some familiar faces, some people he shared classes with and most Ten and Taeyong introduced to him through the course of their stay in the university. “There you are.” Ten grabbed him by the wrist and led him to one side of the room where there are mirrors set up for hair make up.

 

“Is this a regular occurrence?” Kun asked and Ten nodded.

 

“We are far and few so when we have big projects like this, we all pitch in and help out.” Ten explained and Kun nodded.

 

“Oh that is really nice.” Kun said and looked at the make up on the table.

 

“I can call in Minghao to help you with your face.” Ten looked around but Kun shook his head.

 

“I can do my own make up Ten. I’ve done your make up for your shoots remember?” Kun asked and Ten smiled and nodded.

 

“Just do something light, casual, but a little shimmer on the eyes.” Ten said and Kun nodded.

 

“Go ahead, I think Taeyong hyung needs you for the shoot.” Kun gave him a pat and then Ten left him to his own devices.

 

Kun sighed and picked up a clean set of brushes from the table and a matching shade of foundation and worked on his face. Kun is a music major working with double degrees of Piano and music composition. But ever since he had lived with Ten and Doyoung on their second year, he had learned to do make up to help both Ten who is a fashion design major and Doyoung,  who despite taking business as a major is part of the theater troupe. Kun took a while to finish his face and when he was done, Doyoung was there to do his hair. Among the three, Doyoung is in charge of their hair styles, often suggesting colors for them to try but he himself won’t do since he heeded black hair for his roles most of the times. So Doyoung lived vicariously with Ten’s  and Kun’s scalps.

 

“You look really good Kun, I hope you’ll have more confidence in yourself.” Doyoung said and Kun beamed him a smiled through the mirror.

 

After his hair and make up was done, Ten had picked him up and led him tot he changing room where Taeyong was already picking out the clothes from a rack with Kun’s name on it. Kun eyed the ensemble and it was like he’ll wear three or four sets.

 

“We’ve thought hard about this Kun, so I am glad that you agreed to do this.” Taeyong said and Kun was almost tearing up, he knew how hard it was for Ten and Taeyong to curate such ensemble.

 

Kun changed into a black attire with graphics that mostly likely drawn by Ten. His pants had doodles too, and he was sure these are from Taeyong because it matched the painted shoes that he was sure Taeyong did himself.  Ten looked at him and pulled accessories from a table, giving him a belt, some clip on earrings and some necklace to enhance the look but not take away the style.

 

Kun learned that the theme for the portfolio was street chic and Kun wasn’t sure if he was doing a good job, but when the rest of his friends saw him, well they assured him that it was a perfect fit. Kun eyed his friends, Sicheng, Yuta and Jaehyun looked extremely handsome and Kun sighed, he wasn’t sure if they really meant what they said.

 

“I think we’re done.’ They heard the photographer and the current model, Jungwoo, thanked him then proceeded to change for another set.

 

Ten led Kun towards the photographer and Kun was pretty nervous. He had not worked or posed professionally so it was nerve-wracking. Ten introduced the photographer as Johnny, a phtoography major who was not paid for the shoot but he willingly took the job to help his friends, well Kun guessed none of them are being paid anyway, but student camaraderie exists.

 

“Is this your first time doing photoshoots?” Johnny asked Kun who nodded and the tall man smiled at him. ‘It’s okay, I’ll guide you to some poses, it’s nothing too difficult so you’ll just do fine.” Johnny assured him and Kun  nodded.

 

Kun was awkward, he would admit that but Johnny was patient with him. Johnny was also loud, and he would crack jokes to ease Kun into the pose. Johnny also took shots comically, bending his body at awkward angles and lying on the floor to get the right shot. Kun wondered hos Johnny’s back and legs will fare after the shoot but that’s a conversation for another day.

 

Johnny motioned for him towards the screen and Kun eagerly looked at the photos. “You did really good. Ou look amazing.” Johnny commented and Kun blushed as he thanked johnny.

 

“You’re just a good photographer.” Kun replied but Johnny clicked his tongue.

 

“I just capture the subject’s beauty , that’s all you Kun.” Johnny said and gave him a pat on the back before returning to the set for another model to photograph.

 

“He’s a great guy. If I wasn’t committed to Sicheng I’d probably steal him” Kun looked at his best friend with a shocked expressions. “Besides, he’s been into a certain someone for so long, his crush is laughable at this point.” Ten added and Kun pouted at him.

 

“That’s not nice Ten.” Kun reprimanded the younger who just laughed and ushered Kun back towards the dressing room to fit him another set.

 

The second set was a casual one, with a graphic design hoodie and some acid wash denim pants but the third one was a little more provocative than what he would have liked and with Ten leaving most of the buttons undone made Kun nervous as he stepped out into the balcony.

 

“You look amazing.” Ten assured him but Kun was not confident enough to believe him.

 

“Nervous?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded. “Not really used to this kind of clothes?” Johnny asked some more and Kun nodded again. “It takes a lot of getting used to, but it looks good on you. Just take a deep breath and if you’re uncomfortable looking at the camera, you can look away, tilt your head back, close your eyes.” Johnny said and Kun was confused.

 

‘Should you be telling me to look at the camera like I want to devour it our something?” Kun asked and it made Johnny laugh.

 

“You watch too much next top model videos.” Johnyn commented. “It’s okay to close your eyes, as long as the feelings are there, you can totally have a good shot.” Johnny said then stepped back to let Kun do what he can do.

 

Kun struggled, he wasn’t confident enough for the clothes but Johnny was patient as he encouraged Kun to relax and put him into a mind set. Kun finally looked at the camera just as Johnny clicked the button, nad what it registered was the fierceness that Kun never knew he had in him.

 

The shoot ran late and Kun was the last to be photographed. As soon as they were able to pack up, Ten and Taeyong invited everyone to a celebratory dinner. Kun found himself sat next to Johnny at a barbecue place and they were happily eating the food that was served to them. Ten was almost sobbing as he proposed a toast and everyone congratulated both Ten and Taeyong for their hard work.

 

 

“Ten mentioned that you’re a composition major?” Johnny asked Kun who almost choked on his lettuce wrap, prompting Johnny to hand him his iced tea.

 

“Yeah, I am.” Kun answered and he eyed Johnny who was nervous.

 

‘So I have uhm, a graduation exhibit.” Johnny started and Kun wonders how being a composition major has to do with Johnny’s graduation exhibit. “I just want to ask if you can give me one of your compositions to use, I can pay royalties and give you credits.” Johnny blurted out.

 

“oh that.” Kun mused.

 

“I totally understand if you refuse.” Johnny quickly added.

 

“It’s okay, I can do it. It’s just that it takes time and I don’t think it would be ideal if we discuss it right now.” Kun repleid and Johnny nodded.

 

“of course, if you are free, I’d like to discuss it with you.” Johnny said and Kun took out his phone then handed it to Johnny.

 

“I’ll heck my schedule and get back to you.” Kun said and Johnny nodded and typed his number then gave it back to Kun.

 

“Thanks Kun.” He said with a bright smile and Kun smiled back at him.

 

It took three days for Johnny to receive a text from Kun and it was his free schedule. It was on a Friday afternoon at a nearby cafe. Kun entered the cafe and was surprised to see Johnny already  seated at a booth and was drinking an iced Americano. He waved Kun over and asked for his order order which Johnny ordered for him before he can protest, Johnny was at the counter.

 

“I could’ve paid” Kun chastised Johnny who shook his head.

 

“I’m the one asking for a favor so I should be compensating you.” Johnny informed him.

 

“I won’t be asking you to pay, I’ll do it because I will be benefiting from it as well.” Kun assured johnny. “what is your theme?” Kun asked andJohnny took a deep breath before answering him.

 

“It’s a personal project, three years in the making to be honest.” Johnny started then placed his arm on the table. “IT’s a portrait collection of an old friend.” Johnny said and Kun raised a brow.

 

‘An old friend?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

‘Well, they’re not really a friend, an acquaintance perhaps.” Johnny hummed.

 

“You stalked someone?” Kun asked and Johnny was flustered making Kun laugh loudly. “I’m kidding.” Kun added and it made Johnny pout.

 

“they’re someone special.” Johnny confessed and Kun nodded. “But we haen’t really talked you know, I admired them from a distance.” Johnny sighed and Kun chuckled.

 

‘you are a stalker then.” Kun finalized and Johnny nodded.

 

“i guess I am.” Johnny laughed and Kun shook his head.

 

“Do you want it dramatic?” Kun asked and Johnny scrunched his eye brows. “The music, do you want it dramatic?” Kun clarified and Johnny smiled and nodded.

 

“Not like opera dramatic but just to set a mood.” Johnny answered.

 

“Oh, what kind of mood? Happy?” Kun asked a=once more.

 

“no, more of an unrequited love.” Johnny answered and Kun looked at him with side eyes.

 

‘I’m sorry.” Kun offered but Johnny shook his head and waved his hands in front of him.

 

“No, it’s okay, notyour fault too!” Johnny added and Kun sighed.

 

“Really?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

‘They’re really someone I can’t reach.” Johnny confessed.

 

‘With you height?” Kun joked and it made Johnny burst into laughter. “give me a few days, I’ll inform you if I have a something initial to work with and we go from there.” Kun offered and Johnny nodded.

 

“Works with me.” Johnny replied and they both finished their drinks before leavign the cafe.

 

Kun had a problem coming up with something and it is a bit frustrating for him and not to mention stressful. He looked the opened application in front of him and it looked like it was mocking him. He closed his laptop and groaned, he’d better sleep on it.

 

Kun woke up with the smell of coffee and he dragged his body to the kitchen only to gasp as he finds Johnny pouring coffee from a French press, they don’t own one and they live on instant coffee.

 

‘Ten forced me to come here.” Johnny explained and on cue, Ten came out of his room dragging a suitcase full of what seemed to be clothes.

 

“Kun quickly take a bath, I need you to model for me.” Ten announced and Kun was perplexed, what? “I have a project due so please help me out.” Ten pleaded with his eyes and Kun groaned and returned to his room to shower.

 

When he was done, Ten had laid out his clothes for the shoot and Kun glared at him.

 

‘Come on, just help me out here, I’ll treat you to dinner later.” Ten coaxed Kun who grabbed the outfit and dressed with it. Ten was happy as he took the little details and corrected  a few things before Kun was directed tot he sofa to sit.

 

Johnny was already propped and ready with his lights and camera but when he saw Kun, he handed him a cup of coffee.  Kun was grateful for the caffeine and Johnny just smiled at him. He drank a few sips of the coffee before he took his place to pose for the camera.

 

Johnny instructed that he should just relax and pose like he would do in a casual setting.

 

‘How can I do that?” Kun asked but Johnny snapped a shot. ‘Are you taking shots already?” Kun asked, eye brows knitted in question.

 

‘Yeah, casual.” Johnny chuckled and Kun sighed as he closed his eyes. ‘Perfect.” Johnny said and Kun was confused. ‘You want to talk?” Johnny asked and it made Kun laugh loudly. “Great. I like this. Smile please!” Johnny asked and Kun nodded then flashed a wide smile.

 

“Sorry I haven’t contacted you, nothing’s coming up.” Kun said as they sat on the kitchen counter while Ten ordered take out.

 

“It’s no pressure.” Johnny assured him.

 

“How can it be an unrequited love? Can you at least give me something more to work with?” Kun asked and Johnny sighed.

 

“I don’t really have the heart to confess you know, I fear rejection.” Johnny slumped and Kun saw the vulnerability the older was showing.

 

“You must really like them to have such great fear.” Kun said and Johnny nodded.  “Okay, I think I have something.” Kun sad and made a dash to his room to get his laptop.

 

“Don’t judge me.” Kun warned as he pulled up an old song and played it.

 

“Gu Ren Gui?” Johnny asked as he read the title in Chinese characters.

 

‘You know Mandarin?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

‘Took it as an elective, that’s where I met Ten, he was studying it to get into Sicheng’s pants, I was studying it for fun.” Johnny shrugged and it made Kun chuckle.

 

Kun played the song and Johnny listened to it intently. But when the rap part came, Johnny tried to hold in the laughter.

 

‘You can laugh.” Kun said and Johnny burst into laughter. ‘it’s bad, I sound bad. Oh my god why did I even sing this.” Kun groaned.

 

 

“Hey,you were what? 16? That’s impressive for a sixteen year old.” Johnny assured him. “I don’t even know what i was doing in my life when I was sixteen.” Johnny said and Kun sighed.

 

‘I have to re-arrange this to suit your aesthetics,” Kun said and Johnny agreed.

 

‘Hey, I never complimented you, your voice is nice, why didn’t you major in voice?” Johnny dared to ask.

 

‘I like doing behind the scenes work more than being the front and center.” Kun answered.

 

“Oh, yes, we’re similar.” Johnny said and Kun raised a brow making Johnny point to his camera.

 

”I prefer taking the photos rather than my photo taken.” Johnny informed Kun who blinked at him and then gasped.

 

“Holy cow, you’re the perfect height and built for a model!” Kun remarked.

 

‘I told him that.” Ten spoke from the sofa. “Too stubborn.” Ten  hissed and it made Kun grin at Johnny.

 

“Pose for me.” Kun dragged Johnny to the sofa and grabbed Johnny’s camera.

 

‘Be careful, that’s my baby!” Johnny shrieked but Kun shook his head and focused the camera.

 

“Give me a pose come on.” Kun instructed and Johnny sighed before he took on a serious look and posed for Kun. Kun was surprised wth how Johnny looked but  his finger seemed to move on its own as he take shots after shots of Johnny.

 

“If I knew it only took Kun to have you pose I would’ve guilt tripped Kun  a long time ago!” Ten remarked and both Johnny and Kun glared at him. ‘Kidding.” Ten laughed then walked towards the door as they heard the doorbell ring.Johnny had invited his circle of friends for his graduation exhibit. It will open doors at  6 pm with the morning allotted for the students to present their works to their professors to be graded. It involved a detailed explanation of the concept and the techniques that they employed while taking the pictures. Kun and the rest of the gang were dressed in prim and proper attire, not too formal but not too casual in jeans. and a t-shirt. They gathered outside the exhibit hall with bouquets and gifts on hand for Johnny to congratulate him. They were eventually led inside the exhibit and they navigated inside, admiring the other student’s works on display. They had some small chats as they walked  through the hall. When they reached the end of the exhibit, Kun was nervous, this is Johnny’s work being on display. Sure he wasn’t directly involved in the photographs, but he was curious and nervous on how his revision of Gu Ren Gui will fit Johnny’s photographs.

 

Johnny’s exhibit was closed off from the rest, separated by dividers with a single door to enter. The plaque on the door showed the collection name and the photographer’s name. Johnny had titled it as Gu Ren Gui, and below Johnny;s name was a credit to the song made by Kun. Everyone red it were cheering for Kun, excited to experience the collection. Also hanging on the door is the awarded 1st place ribbon to Johnny for his outstanding work and presentation.

 

As they opened the door, Kun’s composition rang inside while white and blue clothes draped down at random places to make it look like a palace int he sky. But their jaws dropped when they looked at the pictures because it was someone they know.

 

Framed in solid black and varying in sizes were pictures of Kun bearing different expression and showing his beauty in several different ways.

 

‘it’s Kun ge.” Sicheng gasped and as they reached the center of the room, they looked at the largest photo that was posted on the wall. It was as big as the wall and it was a mosaic of several different pictures making one giant portrait of Kun smiling as he sat in front of a piano.

 

Kun gaped as he saw the amount of pictures that were displayed and remembered Johnny’s words, a culmination of three years of unrequited love.

 

The music played softly but Kun could hear it loud and clear, the way Gu ren Gui was rearranged to convey melancholy to suit Johnny’s feelings. Kun felt tears fell from his eyes and everyone around him became concerned and asked if he was okay. Kun couldn’t hear anyone, just the beating of his heart, the melancholy of his song and the words Johnny had spoken.

 

“Kun?” He looked up to see Johnny standing in front of him and he blinked the tears away. “I’m sorry if I hid this from you.” Johnny said and Kun noticed that his friends were leaving and giving them privacy. “I’m sorry if I’m stalking you. I just didn’t know how to approach you.” Johnny said and Kun looked at him.

 

“Three years?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

“I was taking photos of the music department welcome party when I first saw you.” Johnny confessed and took out a handkerchief to wipe Kun’s face. “You were the best out there.” Johnny smiled at the fond memory. “I know that this is hard to process but I am not expecting anything Kun. I just wanted to at least confess to you before I go.” Johnny took a deep breath and smiled at Kun.  “You helped me get by all these years, thank you.” Johnny said and Kun felt more tears shed.

 

“Three years?” Kun asked again and he stepped closer to Johnny and pounded on his chest. “You ing waited three years to confess? You could’ve have asked sooner and got yourself a boyfriend!” Kun sobbed and stopped hitting Johnny in favor of burying his face on the older’s chest.

 

Ten said that you liked someone, You told me it was unrequited but you Johnny Suh, do you know how I cried while I rearrange Gu Ren Gui because I caught feelings for you but I can’t confess because your heart has already been taken.” Kun spoke in Mandarin and Johnny smiled and wrapped his arms around Kun and kissed the top of his head.

 

 

“I’m sorry.” Johnny muttered.

 

“You should be.” Kun pulled himself away from Johnny and threw the handkerchief back at Johnny, “You wasted three years, now make it up to me!” Kun said and Johnny smiled and nodded before taking a step towards Kun and cupping his cheeks.

 

“Can I take your pictures?” Johnny asked and Kun pouted. “And be my boyfriend?” HE added and Kun nodded.

 

Their first kiss wasn’t perfect, it was barely a few seconds when the others came bursting inside to check up on them only to apologize for intruding.

 

 

“Congratulations!” They all sheepishly greeted.

 

 

----

 

A/n: Stream Gu Ren Gui!