Amnesia

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 

"Y...Youngjae?" I whispered.

He looked up at me and opened his mouth slightly. But before he could get anything else, he collapsed onto the ground.

Shocked, I stared at him for several seconds before scrambling towards him and picking him up. Cradling him on my arms, I lightly patted his cheeks.

ggggggg"Yah, Yoo Youngjae. Wake up." I said softly, shaking him.

His eyes were still shut.

"Yah. Youngjae-ah." I said again, tears burning my eyes.

The image of him was blinded by the liquid. Just then, I felt something warm and wet on my hand. Moving it away from his head, I looked and saw red. My heartbeat quickened.

Red. Blood.

I looked back at Youngjae, tears already spilling out.

"Youngjae! Wake up!" I shouted, shaking him again and again. "Yah! You idiot!"

I opened my mouth, trying to get through a shout of help but nothing came out except for sob. Everything around me was spinning and I felt a slight pain in my head. I bit my lips hard and tried again but ended sobbing even more.

In the distance, I saw a few figures running towards us. Thinking it was the men, I pulled Youngjae closer to me.

"Noona! Youngjae!" I heard the familiar voices.

The tensed muscles relaxed and I found myself too relaxing.

It's alright now.

And that was the last thing I remembered thinking about before my blurry vision completely out.

===

My eyes fluttered open and I closed it again due to the lights.

"Oh, she's awake!" I heard Himchan's voice.

Feet shuffled over and when I opened my eyes again, I saw the genies along with Junhyung.

Junhyung?

"Haejin, are you alright?"

When I didn't answer him immediately, he frowned and panicked.

"Do you know who I am?"

When I didn't answer again, he went into full on panic mode.

"Oh my god. She doesn't remember me anymore."

I mentally rolled eyes.

"I remember you. What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice isn't as dry.

Which means I haven't bee out for long. My eyes widened when I remembered what happened previously.

I sat up and swung my legs over the sides of the bed, ignoring the pain coming from my ankle.

"Woah, woah, woah. Where are you going?" Junhyung asked, rushing to my side.

"Where's Youngjae?" I looked over to the genies.

When I counted only four, I panicked."Where's Zelo?"

"They're fine. Just resting." Yongguk explained.

"Resting?"

Jongup nodded. "Zelo got beat up pretty bad but nothing major except for a broken ribcage. He'll be fine after that. As for Youngjae, the doctor said he can't be too sure of the results yet, but nothing seems seriously damage as of now. He just received a few stitches." 

"He'll wake up right?" I asked.

Daehyun nodded.

"Then can I go see both of them?"

"But your leg." Junhyung said.

"I'm fine. I still can walk." I told him, already hobbling my way out.

Junhyung knew I wouldn't be changing my mind so he just took the walking stand for me and gave it to me.

I went to Zelo's room first since his was nearer. He wasn't looking as bad as I last saw him, but still bad enough.

The cuts were cleaned and the bruises seemed less reddish. Other than that, he seemed perfectly fine except he wasn't. I don't think he would after being abused like that.

I went to visit Youngjae next and he had a bandage wrapped around his head. No cuts or wounds. Just a bandage.

Right when I was still staring at him, I saw a motion from his fingers. I looked at it and saw it twitching and a few seconds later, he stirred a little in his sleep.

The genies saw that too and called for the nurses. They gave him a quick checkup while Youngjae was now conscious.

He looked around at his surroundings, taking it in like it was some sort of foreign object. Then, his eyes landed on me.

I was waiting for something but all I could see was confusion in his eyes. He lifted his hand, pointing at me.

"Who's she?" He asked one of the nurses.

My eyes widened while the nurse looked between both of us.

"Don't you know her?" The nurse asked Youngjae.

Youngjae gave me another look and shook his head.

The genies stared at me shocked and then proceeded to ask about them.

"Do you remember me hyung?" Jongup asked.

Youngjae looked at Jongup and frowned. Shaking his head, Daehyun, Himchan and Yongguk both asked the same question only to have him shake his head.

"Am I missing something?" He asked us, now looking really puzzled and even slightly confused.

"Do you know who you are?" Yongguk asked him carefully.

Youngjae and Yongguk held gazes and Youngjae nodded.

"Of course I know who I am."

"What are you?" Yongguk pressed on.

Youngjae looked at the nurse uncertainly."I'm sorry, but I believe I don't know you well enough to disclose so much about myself."

The nurse sensing our disbelief called in the doctor. We waited for half an hour until he came up with the conclusion Youngjae might be suffering from amnesia.

"Amnesia?!" I practically shouted."But, that can't..."

"He must have gotten a pretty bad blow on the head. We'll be giving him another check up so in the meantime, he'll have to stay in the hospital."

When the doctor left us, I leaned against the wall, still not believing all the sudden news.

Then genies were clearly in a state of shock too as none of them spoken up.

Youngjae? Forgetting all of us? That's crazy. He can’t just forget us, this isn't supposed to be. There must be another way.

I snapped my head up."Don't I have my wish?"

The genies looked up from their deep thought, confusion slowly turning into realization.

"I can use it on Youngjae, can't I?" I asked.

The four of them nodded. All of us seemed relieved, because we're just found a way to get back Youngjae.

"Okay. I wish that Youngjae will get back his memory."

I stopped and looked at the genies who in turn stared back at me. They took off towards Youngjae's room and I ran in after them.

Youngjae was busy drinking from a cup of water and was startled when we all came in.

"Youngjae!" Himchan shouted, running up to hug him.

Youngjae's eyes widened in bewilderment and quickly pushed him off.

"You guys again? Didn't I say I don't you?" He spat.

We all froze.

"But...we just..." Yongguk startled, at a loss of words.

"Maybe...maybe you didn't do it right." I told them.

Daehyun shook his head."There's no right or wrong. We just have to do it."

"Then why?" I asked.

"Hyung, maybe because we're not together? Maybe that's why it didn't work?" Jongup suggested.

Himchan frowned."That may be, but we've never heard of such things before. I thought as long as a genie is there, we would be able to grant the wish."

We all looked at Youngjae who looked surprised."Oh, you guys are genies too? Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Did hyung go stupid too?" Jongup asked.

We spent the night over at the hospital, still pondering over why Youngjae was still the same. I could see the genies were sad but were trying to hold it in. I was too. When midnight came and they were all sleeping, I couldn't and went over to Youngjae's room.

Only his bedside lamp was on so I figured he was asleep. Making sure I didn't wake him up, I took a chair and sat next to him, taking the time to stare at his sleeping face while thinking.

Will he be like that forever? I can't believe I'm saying this, but like won't be the same without his sarcastic words and teasing. The genies life won't be the same either since they've been together since forever.

And then it dawned on me that I was the cause of all of it.

If only I weren't their owner, they probably wouldn't have received such bad luck. If only I didn't make Hyunah that angry, none of this would have happened. Tears stung my eyes.

The genies have done so much for me while all I did was just give them much trouble and pain. I can't live knowing that I actually destroyed their life.

The tears I've been holding in flowed out all at once, never slowing or stopping. I bit my lips to hold back the sobs.

"I'm sorry, Youngjae-ah. It's all my fault you're like this." I said in between tears. "Maybe if only you hadn't met me, I'm sure there are other much more better owners out there."

I buried my head in my hands, crying beside him."I'm sorry."

I continued crying and sobbing, probably sniffing much louder than needed because I almost missed what he said.

"If you're sorry, then treat me to a big meal when I get out of here."

My sobbing halted and I stayed silent, thinking if I was hearing things wrong. When I lifted my head slowly, I saw Youngjae looked down at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Ah, you still look the worst when you're crying."

I stood up and stared at him, searching his eyes

"What?" He asked.

A smile lit up my face as more tears, except now for a different reason filled up my eyes. There's no mistaking the playfulness and amusement in his eyes.

Youngjae is back. The guy who is always teasing me till no extent and all the way to the ends of the world is back.

I threw myself onto him and hugged him tightly, crying out tears of joy and relief.

"Yeoja, you're getting your disgusting tears on me."

I pulled back, grinning like an idiot."I-I thought you'd have forgotten about us!"

"Yeah, how can I forget about you guys? Especially you, since I've never met someone as stupid."

The grin on my face disappeared and I punched his arm."You! Why did you trick us?! Do you know how worried we were?"

"You guys should've known. Of course genie wishes will always work, why wouldn't it?" He rolled his eyes.

"Ah, I'm going to go call in the others!" I said excitedly.

It must be double happiness, because Yongguk found out Zelo was awake and when they heard the news, all five of them came over to see Youngjae.

Yongguk gave him another punch, considered the fifth one already.

"And that's for making me worried that I'd lost my powers!" He scolded.

"Ah, I said I'm sorry!" Youngjae said for the thousandth time.

"If you're sorry, treat us." Himchan said, the others agreeing.

Youngjae looked over at me.

"No, I'll treat you guys."

"Why?" Jongup asked.

"As a way to thank you all. If it weren't for you, I'm not sure what would have happened to me." I smiled.

Looking over at Zelo, he's been really quiet and I grew concerned.

"Zelo?"

He snapped back."Yes, noona?"

"Are you alright?" I asked, walking over to him.

He insisted he wanted to see Youngjae despite his bandage on his ribcage.

He nodded, looking down. I saw his hand was shivering, from pain or scared I'm not sure but I immediately engulfed him in a hug.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"Noona, it's my job to protect you anyway."

I pulled him away and he gave me a smile.

"And I'm Zelo. I'm stronger now, aren't I?"

I smiled and ruffled his hair."Of course you are."

He grinned and fixed back his hair.

I continued staring at his smile, the one I've been so used to and have grown to love.

I've grown to love all of them really, and when it has came to a point like this, I'm really not sure what I'd do when their gone.

That day will come, that I'm for sure. As of now, they’re still here though and that's what counts.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ah, i'm thinking the story is about ending soon...

and to answer one of your questions; zelo's unable to use his powers due to how weak he is. i didn't explain clearly enough though, but in chapter 33 there's a part where yongguk explained if the genies are weak or unconscious, they'll be unable to communicate. so that goes to why zelo can't use his powers c: