Calculust

smart with math but stupid with love.

 

 

"Did you get how to use the formula?"

 

Minju looks at her seatmate as if to say; I don't know how it flies over your head, you literally just have to distribute the numbers to their corresponding units in the formula. But remained silent.

 

"Physics is so difficult."

 

"It's not."

 

"Easy for you to say."

 

Easy for her, indeed.

 

Kim Minju. 17. Mathematical Genius. Straight A student. A huge science nerd.

 

"I still don't know how you digest everything."

 

Minju shrugs.

 

Wait till you find out about Quantum Physics.

 

The class ended. And like every other day, it was an ordinary day. And Minju loved the ordinary. She consumes happiness from it. How she got her routine memorized to a tee. Perfect clean slate everyday. As if her life was of absolute perpetuity. Like how the earth orbits around the sun. A prophetic destined path she must swim in everyday. And if she strays, the whole galaxy will be thrown off balance and every planet will collide like billiard balls, thrown into the sun, chipped pieces floating about, erupting about. And the cosmos will never look the same again.

 

That severity is what she's frightened of. The gargantuan consequences of one distraction that can potentially disturb her unperturbed life. That chaos that will arise from a single misstep.

 

And she's quite unlucky to have the distraction under her skin like a pathogen. Harmless but irritating. Like a parasite in her unconscious mind. Repressed, desperate to manifest on the surface of earth for everyone to see. And she finds herself incapable of resisting from it. Finds herself yielding to its demands.

 

She checks her checklist of another activity done.

 

That was also her habit. Instinctively checking her list every end of class. A checklist of her daily routine. Minju wants to finish it like how Anton Ego cleaned his plate in ratatouille. Devoid of any residue, of smudge, of unchecked boxes. Some of her classmates would try to take a peek, and feel their entire world collapse upon reading such a rigid and strict schedule.

 

Needless to say, Minju makes sure she's in control of everything. Every minute and of every hour of the day. Everything must proceed as what's written. As planned.

 

She needs to be in constant control of it. Because nowadays, she finds herself incapable of doing so.

 

Her life is planned to a tee too. Once she graduates from high school, she will study in Seoul University. Get a degree. A doctorate. And become a renowned mathematician. Create a legacy like the great forefathers of science. But such ambition would cease to come true, if Minju forgets herself in any given moment. And she does. More often than not.

 

If only spontaneity was a phenomenon, and not a human being. Some sort of passing phase that will disappear once the sun sets, or when the sun rises and the color starts tearing up at the seams. But to Minju, unfortunately, spontaneity had to be a living flesh. With supple lips, rosy cheeks, and arresting doe eyes. Of soft hands, of sinful voice, and angelic countenance.

 

Distraction had to be a woman named Kim Chaewon.

 

The only thing Minju can't control. The sole bug in her mechanical life she can't destroy.

 

The hot cheerleader captain, flirtatious vixen, debonair goddess of Vesalius High.

 

She agreed to help her in biology for extra merit points and to gain favor from the faculty once a certain opportunity arises for her future career. The girl was failing miserably in science related subjects, and at first Minju was thoroughly disgusted to have to put up with someone whose IQ rivals that of her pet, Fat Amy. But then, she found out different sides, angles, if you will, of the woman's personality that never occurred to her mind before.

 

The upset feeling was only the beginning of course, now her feelings about the situation were different. More intense. Strained.

 

She s her jacket while she heads towards the locker. She sees figures chattering beside it. The hallway filled with buzzing, sounds of metal smashing against flesh, the squeaking of shoes on the floor. Minju grabs her P.E uniform and shuts her locker. Once she enters the basketball court, chuckles and chortles already welcome her. From her periphery, she could see the cheerleading squad and basketball athletes sitting in the benches inside the gym, laughing and flirting amongst themselves. Skipping classes like the irresponsible muscle head they are.

 

Adrenaline junkies privileges no doubt.

 

Minju scoffs.

 

Their future is beyond saving.

 

"Hey, sweetie."

 

Minju's heart stops. Along with her body.

 

There.

 

That very voice.

 

That very face.

 

That very smirk.

 

So attractive.

 

So… y.

 

"I told you to stop calling me that."

 

"You talked, I listened. Doesn't mean I have to do it."

 

Minju ignored the honey blonde. Looking anywhere else but her, but ended up doing so anyway. She should have known how little tolerance she had with resistance, not when every senses in her body screamed for her.

 

Her honey locks cascading on her shoulders, her pale skin glowing against the light with a thin layer of sweat all over it, some of her hair sticking on her forehead. And her well endowed chest heaving ever so slightly.

 

"Eyes front, soldier."

 

"What do you want?" Minju said. Cheeks turning crimson.

 

Chaewon smiles with faux innocence. "Can I sleep over?"

 

"What?"

 

"Is that all you can say? What? For someone with a high GPA your vocabulary can be so limited," Chaewon rolls her eyes. "Me Minju, me no speak much."

 

Minju just looks at her as if to say; Are you finished?

 

Chaewon crosses her arms.

 

"I thought of it. With it becoming our last tutoring session, you know?" Doe eyes refused to meet hers, her foot uncharacteristically tapping on the floor. "Make it more memorable. You know?"

 

Minju shoves her hand to her pockets.

 

"Well?" Chaewon urges.

 

"I'm still thinking."

 

"No Sherlock. Obviously." She said. "You do that a lot."

 

Chaewon laughs. And there was just something about that laugh. Something so sordid. With how her angelic smile curves into a diabolical smirk. Grabbing her by the collar, breathlessly whispering in her ear; What's got you wound up, babe? Come on, tell me. Pushing her back then giggling. Because she knows the reason. All too well. She wore it proudly with every teasing grin. I know. It's me isn't it? I got you all hot and bothered. That must be so embarrassing for you.

 

"Okay."

 

"Okay?" Chaewon smiles.

 

"It's our last meeting. You can sleepover, or whatever."

 

Minju curses herself internally. Another spontaneous decision made. Another step towards the edge. It irritates her. How much she couldn't resist Chaewon. Like she's subservient to her whims. Then again, perhaps she had always been.

 

"Okay. See you later, princess charming," Chaewon winks then twirls around. Back to her useless brawny clique.

 

She stares at her retreating figure.

 

Minju can't figure her out at all. She's like mathematics, no, she's far more complicated. Math is a minefield Minju could saunter on how many times she wanted and she would leave unscathed. Whereas Chaewon. She was a labyrinth Minju got lost in. She could never understand what's behind those smiles she's given her, the intention behind passing notes in class with flirty pick up lines she absolutely detests (she absolutely doesn't), Chaewon calling her in every cringy endearment when they're alone, those discrete glances from afar, like Minju stealing a glance at her only to find themselves eye to eye. It was infuriating. How she's a genius in the most complicated subject on earth, only to be stupid when it comes to Chaewon.

 

Minju sighs. She's sure of everything in her life, except Kim Chaewon.

 

When the doorbell rang, it was already half past eight. Minju was already finished with her assignment, all ten of them. It was an ironic turn of events, how the distraction herself became the reason she finished all of her assignments and assessments for the entire week. Minju stores them neatly in their places, and goes downstairs. She lived alone with her Mom. Her Mom who has done nothing but support her. To clear the air, her mom never pressured Minju to be a perfectionist like she is right now. To Minju, it was an acquired taste, an acquired habit from childhood. Though her Mom thought it was concerning sometimes, she puts her trust in Minju. Something Minju is grateful about.

 

"Oh, Chaewon dear! Why are you out this late?"

 

Crap. I forgot to tell her.

 

Minju threw herself out of her door, almost scrambling down the stairs.

 

"Minju and I are going to sleep together."

 

"What!?"

 

Minju could see the visible confusion in her Mom's face. She wouldn't blame her. Heck, she almost tripped on her way down.

 

"It's a sleepover," Minju said. "And by together, she meant beside each other, Mom."

 

"Oh!" Mrs. Kim snickers. "I should have known. Well, I mean, it's fine either way. You guys are old enough to make your decisions. You know? I'm not a strict Mom, I'm a cool mom. You can enjoy your youth however you like as long as it's not in some love motel. Although, I distinctly remember when I was in high school, Minju's dad and I-"

 

"Okay!" Minju shouts, grabbing her Mom away from the door. "I'm already hungry for dinner, can you please prepare it for us?"

 

"Oh! Silly me," Mrs. Kim giggles. "Of course my little Minmin. You go have fun with Chaewon in your room, okay?"

 

When Mrs. Kim left and was finally out of earshot, Chaewon giggles beside her.

 

"See? Even she knows, sweetie."

 

"What?" Minju said. "What?"

 

"For someone so smart, you can be very slow sometimes, keep up," Chaewon shakes her head. "Anyway, I'm going to head upstairs. Can I borrow your game console? Oh wait, no, I don't need your permission."

 

Chaewon began to saunter towards her room. This was Minju's house, yet why does Chaewon walk so languidly like she owns it? The accent of her hips in those jeans, swaying sophisticatedly, her wavy honey hair unkempt yet so meticulously tidy in a paradoxical manner. For someone else it would take immense effort to try and capture that effortless beauty, but Chaewon was Chaewon, and everything about her was effortless.

 

Save her grades. But Chaewon was street smart. She knew how to get her way with people in ways Minju can't. She knew how to bargain, to make everyone kiss her feet, she has that charisma that will make everyone bend to her will. So that makes them even, doesn't it? Grades don't define your intellect. Or what quote was fitting.

 

Chaewon is a genius, too bad the education system thinks otherwise.

 

God. Listen to me.

 

"You kids have fun learning okay?" Mrs. Kim shouts after dinner.

 

"Yes Mom."

 

It was already Nine when the both of them climbed up to Minju's room. There was a painstaking heavy atmosphere the moment they entered. The notion that they were alone, and the room was somehow spacious yet small enough for Minju to avoid any proximity with the girl.

 

She had never felt it this heavy before. This sickeningly heavy air, her heart pumping at its maximum capacity, loud and reverberating on her ribcage.

 

Minju wipes the sweat on her forehead.

 

"It's pretty hot here, isn't it?" Chaewon said.

 

"It's just you."

 

"Thanks," Chaewon smiles. "I know."

 

"I meant-- whatever."

 

Yeah, that's right. It's better if you just keep your mouth shut.

 

An awkward silence ensued. Then Chaewon breaks the ice.

 

"Are we going to study or shower first?"

 

"Shower."

 

"Okay," Chaewon said. "Can I use...?"

 

"Sure."

 

"Thanks." Chaewon winked.

 

Minju looked away.

 

A recurring pattern that was getting so obvious. A competition between the two of them. Except, Chaewon knows she has the upper hand, and Minju is completely helpless in this playful banter of theirs. No chances of winning from the very start.

 

Then Chaewon disappeared from her sight.

 

Minju looked around. Nervously grabbing the collar of her shirt for relief as she swallows thickly.

 

"It is a bit hot in here."

 

She tries to do things that will take her mind off Chaewon. Anything to get her mind off the image of Chaewon running her hands in her hair. Chaewon using her shampoo. Chaewon smelling like Minju. Chaewon undressed.

 

Minju slaps her cheeks.

 

Her face is getting more scarlet by the minute.

 

Wrong.

 

This was wrong.

 

So wrong.

 

She shouldn't have agreed. Knowing Chaewon's effect on her. She shouldn't have. But she did. And for a reason unknown.

 

Unknown?

 

She scoffs.

 

Please. Who was she kidding? It was always there, simmering in her subconscious. This scent, this unnerving scent. Oppressed. Repressed. For God knows when. Ever since Minju started to get fascinated by her. That was it. She was trapped like a fish in a net. She knew she agreed subconsciously, she knew she's been craving this.

 

God. Minju. Whatever happened to absolute perpetuity?

 

"I'm done."

 

Minju grips the sheets in surprise. God. She wasn't even aware of time anymore. As if nothing else matters except her. Forget responsibilities. Forget your clean slate. Forget time. Forget good decisions. Who cares? Think of Chaewon. Chaewon. Chaewon. Chaewon.

 

"Sweetie?"

 

Minju clears as she abruptly stands up. She didn't even bother correcting her anymore.

 

"Prepare your studying materials while I shower."

 

"Sure," Chaewon faintly smiles. Rubbing her wet hair with her dry towel.

 

"You can use my hair dryer if you want."

 

"Thanks, you're the best."

 

Minju blushes then went inside. In hopes that the water will wash her unwanted thoughts away, and carry them down to the drain.

 

"Skeletal System next." Minju announced.

 

It turns out the shower had indeed helped her. She didn't feel suffocated despite having Chaewon beside her. Their knees touching while they sat on the floor. Chaewon was doing a great job so far. They started with the hardest to the easiest. Each getting finished smoothly after another.

 

"What don't you understand about this?" Minju asks.

 

Chaewon points at the paper. "Mr. Han said we have to memorize at least Five parts of the skeletal system. But that's my ultimate weakness. My memory , you know?" Chaewon shyly chuckles.

 

"Hey, no it doesn't," Minju intervenes. "You just need to associate something memorable with it. Or you can use a mnemonic device to make it easier," Minju smiles reassuringly.

 

Chaewon smiles at her. "You really believe in me that much Miss Nerd?"

 

"Of course. Not everyone excels in the same field. Just because school made you think you're beyond saving in this category, doesn't mean it's true. You just need to apply the proper techniques to learn them. Like repetition, tying your idiosyncrasies with difficult terms, conjuring scenarios, watching movies related to it-" Minju realizes she's rambling then stops.

 

"Y-you get my draft." She stammers.

 

Chaewon immediately laughed beside her like she always does.

 

"You're so adorable and talkative when you're passionate about something, unlike your usual "me minju me no like big words" replies," She stops to breathe properly then says, "It makes me want to jump all over you."

 

Minju felt her face turn crimson.

 

"Very funny."

 

"Wait. Are you blushing?" Chaewon laughs, harder this time, "You are, aren't you? Oh my god."

 

Minju goes silent. And Chaewon was still laughing. Always laughing at her. That adorable sickeningly gut twisting laugh that mocked her wherever she went. In every box in the corners of her mind.

 

"Are you finished?" Minju tried her best to look at her.

 

"Yeah, It's just," Chaewon wipes her eyes, "It's funny to see Kim Minju blushing, especially because of me. But then again, I don't blame you."

 

She shrugs.

 

"What was it again? The technique ?"

 

"Simple. You just have to make attributes that will remind you with the words you want to remember," Minju said.

 

"... Yeah," Chaewon reluctantly nods. "I don't get it."

 

"We'll get to that later. First I want you to tell me the five parts you picked."

 

Chaewon pointed five parts consecutively while Minju took note of it. She raised her hand and touched the parts in Chaewon's body respectively.

 

"Okay, first the frontal bone, located on your forehead. Second, the nasal bone on your nose," Minju swallows thickly, "Third, your collarbone. Fourth, your first rib. Then finally, sternum, located in your chest."

 

Yes!

 

She internally smiles in triumph.

 

Now that was easy, wasn't it?

 

"You're going to have to do better than that, babe. I still can't register anything," Chaewon sighs.

 

"Well, what would be the best option for you?" Minju asks. Balling the fist that touched Chaewon's skin like it got burned.

 

"Well, you just poked me. That can't reach my memory," Chaewon purses her lips. "Why don't you mark it then?"

 

At that instant, Minju felt like someone just jabbed on her stomach.

 

"What?"

 

"Mark these parts I've chosen."

 

"With what? A marker?"

 

Chaewon looks at her impatiently, "Sometimes I really wonder how you got such a high GPA with how incredibly slow you are. Keep up, babe."

 

"I don't understand." Minju scratches her cheeks.

 

Chaewon rolls her eyes and crawls closer to her. Making Minju crawl backwards because of the dangerous proximity.

 

"We should be studying," Minju complained as her back hits her bed.

 

"Oh, baby. We are," Chaewon purrs. Crawling like a vixen towards her, so pale, so beautiful. Minju feels her heart jump to when Chaewon settles on her lap.

 

"I was just thinking, to make things easier for me," Chaewon began. "You can mark these parts in a way that I can easily remember it."

 

"What?"

 

Minju barely utters with how close their faces were. And how awkward their position was. So close. So dangerous.

 

Minju instinctively pushes Chaewon for some space.

 

"I-I don't know how."

 

"Oh, I think you know," Chaewon towers over her. Face hovering above hers, eyes dropping to her lips. "I know you know."

 

Minju stops and looks at Chaewon.

 

Chaewon in her cute cheetah pajamas. Chaewon with her hair cascading in her shoulder blades. Those incredibly soft doe eyes that held so much fondness, so much sin equally. And that scent. That mint scent with jasmine undertones. Coursing through her nose, slithering like poison into her brain. Engulfing her senses with nothing but her smile, her face, her skin. Pushing her, tethering at the edge. So close to snapping.

 

Her eyes dropped to Chaewon's lips. She was smirking. Jesus Christ. She was smirking for God knows when. And Minju didn't even notice. Didn't even notice that she was straddling her lap. Her rapturous smile so close she can almost taste it. Deliciously tempting. So wickedly divine.

 

.

 

Does she want this? Yes. No. Probably in Between.

 

Does she want her? Yes.

 

God, yes.

 

But does she have to act up on it?

 

Yes?

 

No?

 

God. Make up your mind!

 

Minju barely had time to react when Chaewon pushed herself against her. Her right palm on Minju's chest, while her left hand tilts her chin. And suddenly all she could feel was her lips. Fervent, Greedy. Soft.

 

Minju felt her heart stop momentarily, only for it to beat twice as fast. Every braincells blowing like a fuse.

 

Her brain goes haywire. Every nerve ending screaming at her; There's nothing ordinary about this at all! It's not on schedule! What about saving the cosmos?

 

None of her thoughts makes sense. Nothing made sense. Until Chaewon sighs in the kiss. And Minju felt it thrum, feel it vibrate pleasantly against her. She cups Chaewon's face with eagerness and kisses her hard. Kisses her with so much want. So much passion and lust and affection, and everything in between. Tongues sliding on each other, wet slick flailing tongues making them gasp, each other's flesh and clothes. She grabs Chaewon's thigh and waist impatiently. Like the world was about to end at this moment and the last thing she wants is to mold their body as one. Chaewon's quiet, gasping half-moan of surprise sent a ripple of pleasure all over her, grabbing a fistful of her hair as her other hand gently tightened around her neck. It makes Minju inhale a bit too sharply, clawing at Chaewon's shirt, and knuckles white from gripping too hard. She can feel Chaewon's desperation, and can taste the frustration leaking into the kiss. Arousal slithers through her when Chaewon kisses her across her jaw, softly leaving trails on her cheeks, biting Minju's left ear so gently, so tenderly that Minju had to fight back a little moan.

 

"Wow," Chaewon giggles, completely out of breath, drawing back a little. Just near enough that Minju can still practically taste her. "I will definitely remember that one."

 

Minju pants. Stares at Chaewon's tousled hair, flushed lips, eyes b with affection. If Chaewon brought her ear any closer she’d hear Minju's poor heart close to collapsing.

 

"Wow."

 

Was all Minju could say. Speechless was an understatement. Minju was completely transcending in another spiritual plane.

 

"I kind of figured it was about time," Chaewon snickers in front of her, still on her lap.

 

"What?" Minju's cheeks burned. Chest still heaving.

 

"Your frustration was too obvious, sweetie, can practically sniff it with my nose," Chaewon rolls her eyes, "It was only a matter of time you'd take the bait. It was fun to see you resist it, though. It made me want you more. And boy, did I underestimate you."

 

Chaewon smirks lazily.

 

"You were so needy."

 

"And," Chaewon continues. "I've never been kissed like that before." Chaewon tucks some stray strands on her ear and looks at her shyly.

 

"You're a very good kisser."

 

Minju fell silent.

 

Did she just debby ryan-ed me.

 

She blushes nonetheless. Slowly recovering from that mind-blowing makeout session. And from what felt like decades, at last, she found her voice.

 

"I aim to please."

 

Chaewon smirks at her in surprise, "Wow, aren't you getting cocky?" Then she connects their forehead. Intertwined their hands, and whispered lovingly, "I stand corrected, you're ier when you're like this."

 

Minju smiles and kisses her again. Slowly, surely. Savoring the taste of her lips against her own.

 

Who cares if Chaewon didn't make sense. Who cares if Chaewon was that asteroid that reformed earth and killed the dinosaurs and engulfed earth with mayhem and chaos. Chaewon made things so much better. She made Minju feel so much better. Who cares if none of it is what it seems anymore. Minju can fit Chaewon in her life just fine, because Chaewon is someone dear to her. Someone who likes her. And Minju, well, Minju likes her just as much.

 

"Wait, my assignment."

 

"What?"

 

"I still can't remember anything. You never got to mark me. Which begs the question. Can we finally try that?"

 

"No."

 

"And don't pout because that will never work."

 

"It was worth a try, sweetie, worth a try."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"," Minju curses after a while. "I still can't believe I did that. Jesus. I mean, look at you? You're a mess! What the ."

 

"Can you relax? We'll be doing a lot of that later, so please shut the up! You're ruining my focus."