1/1

How to tell your best friend you’re in love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Being best friends is nice, easy and comfortable. Your best friend will always be there for you, always supporting you and always loving you. But Minju can’t seem to keep up when the love just isn’t the same kind of love. Kim Minju had been in love with her childhood best friend for 3 whole years and she’s never had the guts to do anything about it.


 

******


 

‘Morning Minju!’ Yuri greeted as the aforementioned girl stepped out of her home. It’s been a tradition since the dawn of time (or the dawn of their time as best friends) for Yuri to pick a tired and groggy Minju up from her home before heading to school. Throughout their childhood, it was always Yuri that made sure the slightly older girl wouldn’t end up in a ditch on the way to school. Best friend duties.

 

Hooking an arm over the other girl’s shoulder, Yuri forcefully got Minju to embark on their daily journey to school. A simple action begets a simple reaction and in this case, the reaction was Minju’s unendingly quickening heartbeat. Fortunately, Yuri remained oblivious. She had always been unaware of Minju’s feelings, since the day it came about.

 

‘Your hair is all over the place silly.’ Yuri spoke as she reached out to comb through Minju’s messy hair, patting it down and setting it in place with an adoring smile on her face.


 

******


 

Like any other regular day, the two best friends were cooped up in Minju’s room, having their regular weekly sleepover. It’s been another one of their traditions for the longest time. They would usually use the time to finish up whatever homework their teachers deemed were appropriate for struggling teens. Yuri always seemed to need Minju’s help, despite being the more academically successful one.

 

Upon finishing their workload for the week, the two retired to bed, content with their productive evening. Yuri took mere seconds before she drifted off to dreamland. Snoozing on the bed, her eyebrows furrowed a couple of times, almost like she was having a bad dream, completely unaware of the adoring gaze that was on her. Minju laid right next to her, studying her every feature, every little habit and letting it sink into her mind. That was the moment. Where Minju felt like she had to treasure and protect every moment spent with Yuri. Where Minju felt like there was nobody quite like Yuri in this world. Where Minju felt like planting a kiss on Yuri’s forehead, in an attempt to sooth her troubled sleep. That was the moment Minju realised being best friends just wasn’t enough.


 

******


 

‘Sooo, you still haven’t confessed?’ Chaewon abruptly asked. They’ve been friends since enrolling in this school and Chaewon was starting to get real sick of Minju’s wishy washy attitude.

 

Answering with a shake of her head, Minju silently continued with her lunch, unwilling to engage in the conversation. She had always thought she kept her feelings pretty well hidden, but Chaewon was just too perceptive to deceive.

 

‘You know, if you would just confess i’m pretty sure you would be dating already.’ Chaewon stated confidently. She had been insisting that Minju’s feelings weren't one sided but the younger girl just refused to believe it.

 

‘Confess to who?’ Yuri cut into the conversation, plopping her chin atop Minju’s head and wrapping her arms around her neck. She had just been let out of class and happened to overhear the two’s conversation, the wheels in her head started to turn and... ‘Wait! Kim Minju! You like someone?!’ she gasped dramatically as she pulled away from Minju. ‘And you never bothered to tell me?! Your best friend?!’

 

Realising she had no real way to weasel out of this situation, Minju buried her blushing face in her hands and silently wished for Yuri to leave this alone. But of course, Chaewon would never let it slide.

 

‘Yep! She likes someone alright!’ Chaewon declared with a wide smirk, looking just a little too satisfied with Minju’s predicament.

 

‘I can’t believe you never told me.’ Yuri continues, rolling her eyes. ‘But i’m your best friend, so i’ll forgive you! In fact… why don’t I help you with your crush?’ 


 

******


 

Unfortunately for Minju, Yuri was serious about lending a hand. She was constantly bugging Minju for a name or a face, just so she could know how to help but obviously Minju couldn’t say.

 

‘She’s the same age as us. Small and cute, nasty temper though. We’ve been friends for awhile.’ Minju decided that giving vague descriptions was the best way to keep Yuri from constantly bugging her.

 

‘Awww, you’re so cutely in love. How about you buy her something nice, like chocolate or something!’ Yuri suggested, still insistent on providing some kind of advice. Best friend duties.

 

‘Fine fine I will. You’re so annoying.’

 

‘Excuse me?! I’m just trying to help?????’


 

******


 

‘Here, take this.’ Minju said as she tossed a box of chocolate on Yuri’s desk. Over the weekend, she had finally decided that maybe she’ll listen to the advice, even if it came from the subject herself.

 

‘What’s this for?’

 

‘Errr, I bought extras. Just take it.’ 

 

‘Thanks! So I’m guessing she accepted it?’ Yuri said after planting a quick peck on Minju’s cheek in gratitude.

 

‘Yea… Yea she did. What do you think I should get her next?’ Minju responds with her face turned away, desperate to hide the growing blush on her face.

 

‘Flowers? I like flowers, I'm sure she would too!’


 

******


 

After visiting the local florist, Minju was making her way to Yuri’s home, wrecking her head for excuses as to why she had a bouquet of violets with her. Upon reaching the doorstep, she rang the doorbell with her hands slightly shaking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter