final

Bright Skies

Inspired by:

Bright Skies by Isaac Waddington

 

Enjoy.

--

It was a draining day. She can feel everything and nothing all at the same time. She walks with heavy steps towards her apartment. With a sigh, she enters her code and unlocks the door to her apartment.

The whole apartment’s dark. The curtains are draped over the windows, only a glimpse of light passes through the window and she can hear the patter of the rain outside.

She can still feel the rain on her skin as she takes off her heels. She’s drenched in rain earlier since she didn’t bring any umbrella, but she doesn’t care one bit.

As she finally steps inside, ready to wallow in the darkness, she sees a blue sticky note at the wall in front of her. She walks forward and sees the note.

“Welcome back, unnie! How’s your day? You better had a good day or else….you won’t get kisses ;)” a chuckle escape as she reads the note. It’s so her.

She shakes her head as she grabs the note on the wall, and there she saw another message at the bottom of it.

“Go sit on the couch unnie~”

With a light tug on her heart, she does what the note says. She sits on her side of the couch and as soon as her back lands on it, she feels another note on it. She turns around and picked up another blue note from her and reads it.

“Turn on the tv, since I know you hate it when it’s quiet.” So she did so and the tv and it’s on a random news channel. She looks at the note once again and saw another message at the bottom.

“You’re beautiful, even more so when the light shines on you. Open up the curtains.”

This girl… making me move around the house. She thinks as a small smile appears in her lips while walking to open up the curtains. She moves it aside and sees another note on the window with a big smiley in the middle.

“There, now the world can see how beautiful you are.” 

“Would you ever be so kind to turn on the record player for me, unnie~”

And so she walks towards the shelf where her record player is situated. She pressed play and she’s greeted with a song she often hears from her. She remembers all the time they spent together and all she can hear from her when she’s not talking about anything, is this song. She sings it in the morning, while cooking, in the shower or even before they sleep. She loves this song and she can’t bring herself to stop the woman from singing, even if her ears starts bleeding from the song, since she loves the owner of the beautiful voice. She loves to sing this while cooking. She muses while listening to the song.

 

Finding my strength in my silence

'Cause things are too loud in here

I'm finding my way through the gardens

As I think to myself, it's becoming clear, mmm

 

She sees a note on the vinyl cover beside the record player

“I know I sing too much of this song, but this will be the last time you’ll hear it, I promise! Next time I sing, I’ll sing anything you want” and she feels her heart tug her whole being from that note.

But she’s too tired to do anything else so she flips the note to see another message and reads it aloud.

“You might be hungry, open the fridge!”

So, with all her remaining strength, she walks towards her kitchen and opens the fridge. And the first thing she saw was a pyrex lunchbox and a soup container with a sticky note in it.

“Heat this up so it can warm you up like my love ;)”

She breathes in deeply, overwhelmed by this action, and grabs the food prepared by her and put it in the microwave, where another note can be seen.

“Did you know that this microwave radiates heat particles to warm up your food? But no amount of radiation can be put against you, my smoking hot girlfriend. You’re the hottest ;* ”

She smiles as she reads the note and made sure to put it in her pocket, where she keeps all the notes she’s seen. She was brought back to reality when the microwave dinged, so she took it out and hastily dropped it on the countertop since she was too lazy grab mittens.

 

Anything could change, anything can happen

Could it be fate? Let it be, woah

‘Cause sometimes it takes to bleed

But these waters still, they still run deep

 

She didn’t notice immediately that there’s already a set of utensils she’ll use with another and might be the last sticky note she will see.

“Eat well, unnie. I made it for you since I wouldn’t be able to spend your birthday with you. I’ll always be thinking of you. I'll be a day late. Wait for me and don’t bother to pick me up on the airport tomorrow, okay? Next thing you know, I’m already cuddling with you on our bed. I love you the most, and I’m sorry.”

 

Come and see the night light turning into day (Turning into day)

Come and see the bright skies cutting through the rain (Cutting through the rain),

I said I'm taking some time

Get the weight off my mind, it's okay

‘Cause with a little love, I know that I'll find my way

 

She picks up the utensils, tears at bay. She breathes in deeply and lets out a heavy sigh. “jal meokkessumnida. (I will eat well)” voice hoarse as she whispers to no one.

She takes a sip of the soup and she chuckles bitterly at how good the meal is. She continues to eat it all, not minding her tears dropping nonstop on her food.

She will finish it all.

She will eat well.

She will eat the last dish she made.

 

Anything could change, anything can happen

If this is fate, let it be

'Cause sometimes it takes to bleed

Shallow waters still, they still run deep

 

And so she eats, all of it, even if she’s in no way hungry or has the appetite for it. She finished all of it.

“jal meogeosseumnida (thank you for the food)” she chokes out, in the middle of her kitchen still wearing the clothes she wore to the airport, where she was asked to confirm the body of the love of her life, who took an earlier flight to surprise her but ended up suffering from a plane crash, now pale and lifeless. 

 

"I love you the most too, Seungwan. Please come back to me."

 


Come and see the night light turning into day (Turning into day)

Come and see the bright skies cutting through the rain (Cutting through the rain), mmm

I said I'm taking some time

Get the weight off my mind, it's okay

'Cause with a little love, I know that I'll find my way

I'll find my way.