found you (but I still lost you)

found you (but I still lost you)

Jiang Fengmian arrived at Lotus Pier with a thin, scrawny, and dirty little Wei Ying in his arms after looking for the child for years. He immediately set off to Yiling after hearing the tragic news about his sworn brother and friend. It took years of him looking for their child since the news got to them over a month after that.

Yu Ziyuan was already waiting for him at the gate after he sent a message that he is on his way home and he found the child. Yu Ziyuan had a scowl on her face after seeing the child. He looks exactly the same as Cangse Sanren, the rumored first love of the Jiang Sect Leader. She forgot to take into consideration that Cangse Sanren was not the only parent he had, Wei Changze also existed but he was forgotten because of the fierce jealousy Yu Ziyuan felt at that moment.

Their children, Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng, with his puppies, were also there with her, waiting for their Father to arrive. When they saw the small child in their Father's arms, the two children felt different emotions course through them. Jiang Yanli felt warm and happy because she will have another younger brother while Jiang Cheng felt the same as his mother, he felt jealous of seeing another kid in his Father's arms.

When Jiang Fengmian put Wei Ying down on the ground, Jiang Cheng's puppies barked at him, wanting to play with him but Wei Ying felt fear so he hid behind Jiang Fengmian, his entire body is shaking from fear. Jiang Fengmian ordered the disciples to bring the puppies to the kennel. After sending away Wei Ying with another disciple for him to get cleaned up, Jiang Fengmian talked to Jiang Cheng about sending the dogs away because Wei Ying is afraid of puppies.

Yu Ziyuan lashed out at him that he immediately favored another's child than his own for him to send away the puppies he gifted his own son. Jiang Cheng cried when his puppies were sent away. He didn't want to send them away because the puppies were the first gift his Father had given him, but then an outsider - a street rat - became a reason for them to be sent away. Jiang Cheng felt anger at the child.

When night came, Wei Ying was assigned to be in the same room as Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng, who still felt jealous because of his Father's attention towards the other boy and frustrated because he had to send away his puppies, locked Wei Ying out of the room.

Wei Ying knocked on the door, “Shidi, Shidi, let me in. I want to sleep.”

Inside of the room, Jiang Cheng shouted with his back on the door, “Who’s your shidi?! Give me back Princess, give me back Jasmine, give me back Love!”

Princess, Jasmine, and Love were all puppies that he used to own. Wei Ying knew that Jiang Fengmian sent them away because of him. He whispered, “I’m sorry. But… But I really am scared of them…”

In Jiang Cheng’s memory, the total number of times Jiang Fengmian picked him up wouldn’t even add up to five. Every single instance was enough for him to be happy for months. A fire brewed inside of him, unable to be released. All that he asked himself was ‘why, why, why’. Suddenly, he saw that a set of bedding that wasn’t his own was now inside his room. The anger and indignation immediately rushed to his forehead, making him pick up Wei Ying’s sheets and blankets. Wei Ying waited outside for a long time. When the door opened, before the joy could spread onto his face, he was bombarded with a pile of things being thrown out. The door banged shut again.

Jiang Cheng told him from inside, “Go sleep somewhere else! This is my room! You’re even gonna steal my room?!”

At that time, Wei Ying didn’t know what Jiang Cheng was mad about at all. After a pause, he replied, “I didn’t steal anything. It’s Uncle Jiang who told me to sleep with you.”

Hearing that he was still bringing up his father, almost as if he was purposely showing off, Jiang Cheng’s eyes reddened as he yelled, “Go away! If I see you again, I’ll call a bunch of dogs to bite you!”

Standing outside, as Wei Ying heard that dogs would come to bite him, fear immediately bubbled within him. Twisting his fingers, he hurried, “I’ll go, I’ll go. Don’t call the dogs!”

Dragging behind him the sheets and blanket that were thrown outside, he ran out of the hall. Having only arrived at Lotus Pier for a short period of time, he didn’t dare jump around yet. Every day, he obediently holed up in the places that Jiang Fengmian told him to stay at. He didn’t even know where his room was, much less have the courage to knock on other people’s doors, scared that it’d disturb someone’s dreams.

Having thought for a while, he walked to a corner of the hallway where there was no wind, laid down his sheets, and lay down right there. But the longer he spent there, the louder Jiang Cheng’s ‘I’ll call a bunch of dogs to bite you’ echoed in his head. Wei Ying grew more afraid the more he thought about it. He tossed and turned under the blanket, feeling that a bunch of dogs surrounded him whenever he heard a single sound. After a while of torment, he felt that he couldn’t stay there any longer. Leaping up, he rolled up the sheets, folded the blanket, and fled Lotus Pier.

He ran and ran and ran and ran for a long time. He wanted to climb the tree that he passed but he didn't, thinking that if he stopped to climb the tree, the dogs might reach him and then bite him again and again until the dogs feel satisfied.

So he kept on running. Even if it was just a short period of time, he wanted to call Lotus Pier his home. He wanted to call Jiang Yanli his Shijie and he wanted to call Jiang Cheng his Shidi. But all of that was thrown out the window because of one little threat. But that little threat was not little for him when he always found himself being chased and surrounded by hungry dogs.

He wanted to thank Jiang Fengmian for wanting to keep him in Lotus Pier and for letting him eat to his heart's content. He wanted to thank Jiang Yanli for being nice to him even though he was a stranger and an outsider to their family. He also wanted to thank Yu Ziyuan and Jiang Cheng, even though they have a scowl on their faces, still he wanted to thank them.

Wei Ying guessed he will just thank them in the future when he's all grown up and he can protect himself from harm, though he thinks he still can't protect himself from dogs. So, he ran and ran until his legs were about to break until he was gasping for air until the first sunlight can be seen on the horizon until he felt calm after his fear and the adrenaline rush, and until he reached a secluded mountain in a remote city.

Back in Lotus Pier, the disciples were all searching every nook and cranny for the missing boy that their Sect Leader brought home. Jiang Yanli was comforting her little brother since last night when he went to her room, crying because Wei Ying was gone. Jiang Yanli knew that her younger brother felt guilty about what happened last night so she stayed by his side. They searched everywhere but when they saw no sign of Wei Ying, the two went to their Father and told him about what happened.

Jiang Fengmian felt frustrated but he didn't blame his son, he blamed it on himself. If he didn't act like he favored Wei Ying, maybe Jiang Cheng would not feel angry and jealous. He didn't know how long he did it but he hugged his own son, for the first time in many years, comforting him. Jiang Cheng didn't understand what he felt but he felt warm and loved and that made a new wave of tears roll down his cheeks.

Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng just hoped that they could find Wei Ying immediately. Jiang Yanli still wanted him to be his younger brother and Jiang Cheng wanted him as his older brother, even if their Mother would be against it. They just hoped that Wei Ying would come back home soon.