A Big Surprise

Junmal Chohayo = I Like You

"Thank you for your visit and please come again!"

You said warmly to the couple who were the last customers in the store and held the door for them.

You removed the red apron from your body tiredly after they left in content, and you slumped down on the nearest chair lazily.

"Ah, poor girl! You must be tired out after such a long day."

A voice spoke behind the counter and you sat up at once.

"Nah, I am perfectly fine, Auntie Kim."

You smiled at the amiable middle age woman before you walked towards her.

 

Thinking back, it had been almost a year ever since you started to help out in Handel And Gretel.

You were not a Korean, and you came from a small island called Singapore.

You went on an exchange program in Korea and that was when you came to know him when you went to the cafe almost every night without fail for your revision.

You were totally ignorant when it came to K-POP and you had no idea that he was a super star until many months later.

"So you know that boy is coming home for his birthday?"

Auntie Kim broke your thoughts suddenly and looked at you who was helping her with the dishes.

"Neh, he messaged me yesterday."

You nodded your head and smiled in bliss.

It had been a month plus since you last saw him and you have been missing him more words could described.

You two were not an item, but then, you and him shared an ambigious relationship that even you yourself could not make out what it was.

"Ah, so that boy really tell you everything huh!"

She chuckled and teased you.

"I guess I have to call you sister-in-law very soon!"

Jongjin, who had been standing behind quietly all the while added on playfully and looked at you who was already blushing profusely.

"Aniyo, you are dragging things too far!"

You denied at once and bit your lips shyly.

“Well, that is one of my greatest wish. We have been treating you as our daughter all this while, but it will be best if you can become our daughter-in-law.”

Uncle Kim added on further and smiled at you, and your face had turned into three shade of red by then.

 

You hummed softly in the kitchen, busy preparing all his favourite dishes for the birthday boy.

Your heart leaped in happiness each time you thought of how he would react when he saw the whole spread of food you and his mother had prepared for the entire afternoon.

“Wow, someone is feeling good today.”

Auntie Kim commented and beamed at you happily.

"I am sure you feel the same too, Auntie Kim."

You smiled back at her and replied.

“You know our family really likes you a lot. And I am sure you can take good care of that son of ours.”

She started on the same topic and looked at you hopefully.

“Erm…well…you know me and him are just very good friends..Auntie Kim...”

You scratched your head shyly and said honestly.

You had a major crush on him and that was for sure, but then, he had never once confessed or revealed any of his feelings towards you all along.

It was only his family who thought that he likes you.

“I know my son very well. I can see he has a liking for you as much as we do, or I should say even more than we do. But this boy can be a dork when it comes to these things. So maybe you should drop him a hint or something like this.”

She suggested confidently.

 

You went into his room and sat on his bed after the dinner was almost done.

Flipping through the photo book you had prepared for him as a gift for his special day, you smiled as your fingers trailed on the photos gently.

The photos went as far back as the time when he first debut, up till the recent day when he went to Singapore for his concert.

It was a pity you were unable to join him in the concert held at your hometown, as you were having a major exam in Korea at that time.

You had written a small memo beside each and every photo so that he could be reminded of the activities he was doing at that point of time.

You took out another blank memo, and his mother's words rang in your ears repeatedly.

Maybe Auntie Kim was right, maybe you should just write a sentence or two to tell him about your feelings.

You jotted down the words nervously and you soon frowned some time later.

Taking out the e-ticket from your back pocket, you found yourself sighing further.

Your exchange program had ended a few weeks ago and your parents had been rushing you to return to Singapore.

"I am back, everyone!"

You heard his voice suddenly and you closed your gift at once, before you rushed out to the living room.

 

You saw him at last after a good one month plus, and he was busy hugging his family at the door step.

You were glad that he was looking good as usual, and his body even seemed to have tone up quite a bit since you last seen him.

His eyes met you finally, and you saw that he was about to walk over when a lady appeared beside him unexpectedly.

“It had been a long time since I last came here. How are you, Uncle and Auntie Kim?”

The elegant lady smiled and bowed to them politely.

You could see that his parents were surprised, and even his playful brother seemed to be caught in shock too.

You knew that his relationship with the lady was not as simple as it seem just by the way his entire family was reacting.

 

"Don't stand at the doorway. Come on in. And Woon, you should have told us that you are bringing a friend over."

Auntie Kim stated after a while as they walked into the living room.

“I don’t have a chance to.”

Jongwoon shrugged his shoulders and replied.

"Auntie Kim, please do not blame Woon. We met by chance just now and it was me who came uninvited. I hope I will not impose on you a lot."

The lady spoke up for him immdiately and explained politely.

"Nah, of course not. Not at all."

Auntie Kim replied awkwardly.

"Woon..."

A nickname only his family called him and she could called him that as well.

That already explained their close ties.

"And who is this lady?"

You were brought back to reality by her question and you were stunned when all the eyes turned to you at this time.

 

You had wanted to run and hide into a hole if you could, especially when you came face to face with them.

Compared to her, you were no more than a passerby.

She was beautiful, and you were far too common.

And a superstar like Kim Jongwoon must definately match a pretty lady like her.

The sitting arrangement at the dining table made you more uncomfortable than ever.

His parents sat together, followed by his brother and girlfriend, and lastly, he was seated between you and that woman.

If only you were not around, it would be considered as a complete family reunion dinner.


"Hyung, you got a new watch?"

Jongjin asked after a while, and I guessed it was to ease the awkward atmosphere when no one was talking during the meal.

"Yes, it's a gift from her."

Jongwoon replied as he smiled at the lady beside him.

Jongjin seemed a bit embarrassed by his reply and answered him with a slight "oh" before shifting his attention back to his food quickly.

"So it seemed like someone had yet to give me my present!"

Jongwoon turned to you suddenly, and you almost chocked on the food as it was the first word he had spoken to you after he stepped in just now.

"I....I..."

You had wanted to pass him your self-made photobook, but you soon dropped the idea when you thought of your worthless present and the stupid note you had added in just now.

He got a priceless watch from her, and it just made your gift more cheapskate than ever.

"I am sorry that it slipped my mind totally. Treat it as I owe you once this time. And, kindly excuse me to refill the soup now."

You stood up hastily before you rushed into the kitchen.

 

Your tears soon dropped as you stirred the soup in the kitchen.

You felt stupid and you were ashamed that you nearly confessed your feelings towards him.

"Are you okay, darling?"

You heard his mother's voice and you quickly wiped away your falling tears.

"Of course I am. The soup will be ready soon."

I forced out a smile and assured her.

"I am so sorry my dear. I did not know he will bring her back today."

She turned you to face her, before she took your hands gently.

"Why are you talking like this, Auntie Kim? It had always been your wish for Jongwoon to bring a girlfriend back to you, isn't it? So now you should be more than happy to see her. She is a beautiful lady and....I think they looked pretty good together."

You smiled at her further but you soon avoided her gaze when she continued to stare at you.

"You know how bad we wanted the girl to be you."

She added on honestly.

Her words brought tears in your eyes instantly, and you wiped away quickly.

"I am leaving soon, Auntie Kim."

You stated and showed her your e-ticket.

"Why the sudden decision? Is it because of this matter? Look, maybe that lady is just a very normal friend of Woon. Let's find out from him later."

She stated anxiouslyy.

"Aniyo Auntie Kim. Nothing of the sort. I had wanted to tell you just now but I totally forgot about it.

You lied.

 

"Woon, walk her back. She is leaving."

Auntie Kim asked Jongwoon to send you back home when he was in the midst of chatting with his girlfriend.

He stood up at once and turned to the lady beside him.

His eyes showed a little uneasiness and you guessed that he did not want to leave her alone in the house.

"It's okay Auntie Kim. My house is just around the corner. I can make my way back home."

You assured and put on your shoes.

"But it's late now. It's not safe for a girl to return home alone at this hour."

She stated and looked at you worriedly.

"Don't worry about me Auntie Kim. The vicinity is pretty safe here. I will get going now."

You insisted and smiled at her.

"Bye Jongwoon!"

You stated softly and took a last look at him before you left his house finally.

 

P/S: A one chappie story for you guys. Anyone looking forward to a sequel?