Prologue

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lately, senior high school student Kim Minjeong hated waking up more than anything.

Her dreams were too beautiful for her to ever want to wake up from. They have been everything she had ever wanted, and even she was surprised how well she could actually have dreams and remember them. Minjeong was never the type to think much about the details of her sleep routine, whether it was deep or not, all she would think about was waking up relaxed and rested. She was not the type to remember having dreams as well, occasionally she would have a few hazy ones like everyone else, however, she never had the type of dreams that would touch her deep within, enough to make her remember the details precisely. The dreams she had been seeing every night now were craved inside her memory, every single bit of it with every single detail, and Minjeong was surprised to find out dreams could be so much fun and realistic, to the extent she would not want to wake up from them.

That was why she hated waking up the most, it was harsh to wake up from a perfect dream and go back to the imperfect reality every single morning.

One thing about Kim Minjeong that was important to know was that she was a hopeless romantic who had been single forever. It was not that she was single by choice. Through friends and her own circles she had been to dates and had crushes before, yet she could never really click with someone enough to be an actual couple. Her relationships would usually end within a few dates, and she would be alone again, hoping to find the person that would be the one for her the second they would lock eyes. It could be her own mistake too, ending things with people before they could root down. However, when Minjeong knew it would not work with someone, she would know. She had this feeling that it would not work with someone when they locked eyes, their hands brushed each others and whenever they were together. An instant void appearing inside her, like a could that would end a sunny day, that would eventually take over her body. She could tell when that feeling was dominant, warning her nonstop. There have been exceptions she wanted to make, however she could not, no matter how long she waited and how much she tried. It was as if she was designed as a hopeless romantic to suffer not being able to meet the person that would win over the stubborn void inside her.

However, she would not ponder on this possibility knowing the university entrance exams she was endlessly studying for were depressing enough, and at least about love, she would always try to keep a positive mindset. Be open for it, but not be too much desperate for it, it seemed like a good plan.

By doing so, Minjeong wanted to defy Shakespeare. Not all sudden joys needed to have sudden endings. Not all highs must end with a price to pay. These words were coming from people who never experienced the absence of those joys and sudden highs, she believed. The joy threshold and the high limit was way up high for anyone to suggest there could be a break point. And yes, even though there could a point where everything could go down, that would not change the impact of the joys for the individuals and the feeling would remain, whether in the form of a memory or pure energy that could not be described nor defined, defying the suggestion of an ending. Such strong feelings could never disappear, even the people who had them no longer existed.

Even if it somehow did end, the highs and the joys were definitely worth the price and the end. That only meant the end was not significantly related with the joys and the highs, to suggest whatever was going to happen would happen, and that was all the more reason to actually allow yourself to experience what it is you wanted to experience. For Minjeong, she wanted to experience the love, not the icy void that occupied its place within her heart, but the warmth and the madness and all of it in its entirety. She was not the type to believe in simply sitting and waiting, putting things off for some time to focus on other things; if she was keen on what she wanted, she would do anything to make them happen, no matter what. The idea of waiting in any context could be for some people, but not for Kim Minjeong. She wanted to have it all, and never doubted she could have it all for a second.

Maybe it was the consequence of being a hopeless romantic, she was a passionate idealist too. Maybe it was the other way around. The worst combination possible. While she was regrettably this much passionate about this topic, it was inevitable for her to commit herself to her dreams, as the dreams she had been seeing lately was giving her the highest of highs.

It was always the same person in her dreams. Anything in the background, related with the context, could change and the person would still remain in the middle of the dream. Minjeong had never seen a girl like her before, she must have been a product of her imagination. She had long dark brown hair that fell all the way down to her shoulders, that she sometimes tied up as a ponytail. Her eyes were definitely the prettiest eyes Minjeong had ever seen, with a stare that could either pierce your soul or melt it away. She had the smallest face and yet her features were all so beautiful and distinct, it was a face Minjeong could never forget even if it was a face she had only seen in a dream. Seeing her face, every single time in a dream, always felt like it was the first time Minjeong had seen it and each time they met in a dream it felt like the first time as well.

They were indeed a couple in her dreams. They would be in a dream and Minjeong would be living just a segment of it in her dreams. Once they were in a coffee date and the girl had hair tied up a ponytail and wore a beautiful white sweater, and they shared the same desert along with their coffee. Once they were in a shopping mall, holding hands and entering all the shops in each floor, trying out almost everything and just hanging out together. In her recent dream, they were in an amusement park, together with who seemed to be other friends but the girl's face was the only face Minjeong could remember. They were wearing matching headbands and went on the ferris wheel together. Minjeong never heard her voice or name, they usually shared intense stares that made Minjeong memorize every single feature of the girl. Wherever they were in their dreams never mattered for Minjeong, the feeling she had whenever the girl appeared in her dreams was so overwhelming.

Minjeong could feel her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter