What she say?

A Bit More Complicated Than You Think
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

Fate can be crazy sometimes.

 

Irene really hates it. The soulmate thing. She’s not really bothered by it, she even anticipated it once upon a time. Everyone got doodles of cute animated animals and scribbles of love notes. Her? She got her face painted. Literally.

 

“Miss Bae, I understand you’re fighting for human rights but you could do that some other time like after your midterm exams maybe?” her professor looked at her in horror when she walked into class. She could still remember the shock when she pulled out a mirror and see the big bold letters of We fight for the oppressed! painted on her forehead and the rambunctious laughter that erupted after. That was on her 18th birthday. It’s not one of her best so far. Sometimes, she’d show up with a face full of stage make up that definitely screamed Cats that one time and her bestfriend Seulgi had to choke her way to the nurse’s office with several boba pearls lodge in .

 

“I must say, either your soulmate has some big thing going on with all the junk they've been putting on their face or a beauty guru in youtube with a weird channel,” Seulgi joked and maybe in Irene’s desperation to know her occupation, she was willing to believe just that.

 

“I don’t really care, so long as she won’t do anything drastic today,” Irene huffed. It’s her thesis defense and she doesn’t want to slip up.

 

“She? Are you acknowledging this is a girl now?” Seulgi asked, adjusting her own tie for their presentation. “You're right. With all that make up, why'd we think it was a boy all this time? “ Irene said, brows raising. “Maybe you have a drag as a soulmate Rene, which is not too bad since you need a little joy in your life, “ Seulgi concluded and Irene smacked her head.

 

“Ow! What was that for!”

 

 

 

 


 

 

Thankfully, she finished her report without a hitch. No words etched on her face or any trace of her embarrassing soulmate. Seulgi pulled on her to eat on the stands lined up outside. “I can’t believe we’re here presenting for our thesis while everyone’s enjoying the festival uggh. Did I mention I hate it here?” Seulgi grumbled and Irene chuckled in response. They were currently celebrating their University day, and their department were the only ones too busy to enjoy it. “At least we’re done Seul. We can totally join the fun now. But first, food,” now the one dragging her friend around.

 

“Btw, Joy asked us to go to their show,” Irene only hummed. “Your soulmate must be enjoying herself. What play is it this time?” Irene said while devouring her tteokbokki. “It’s a musical, the music club is there too,” Seulgi said while handing her juice to Irene who right on cue, choked on her food. She looked at Seulgi, her eyes wide open asking the silent but obvious question. “Yes, she’s there as well,” Seulgi smirked while sipping her own juice.

 

“Uhmm, I think professor said we have to do some revisions on –“

 

“Oh, is The Irene Bae afraid of a little interaction with her long time crush–“

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh come on! You didn’t even let me tease you–“

 

“I don’t want any interaction–“

 

“But you should at least have the courage to grab her or something. Live your life–“

 

“Kang Seulgi!”

 

“Look how long have you been dancing around her?”

 

Irene remembered the first time she saw her. Or didn’t see her.

 

“Excuse me! I refuse to be part of this ploy for something so stupid.” Irene was blindfolded and held against her will. Seulgi just left her for a few minutes and here she was being held captive after being dragged away.

 

“I’m sorry miss, I’m just doing my job,” the girl lazily answered her as she was brought down on a chair. “Okay, sit tight while I get the officiator–“

 

“I told you, I am not participating in this bull–“

 

“–officiator for your wedding.” Irene was left speechless. A wedding booth?! Uggh I hate University day. It got quiet for a second when a voice suddenly spoke out.

 

“Hello,” Irene was startled when a girl’s gentle voice infront of her announce her presence. “I’m sorry about this.”

 

“You. Who are you and how dare you involve me in this stupid stint.” Irene said it with enough coldness but she can feel her temper receding. Being angry is tiring.

 

“No don’t misunderstand. Actually, I am in no way part of this. I’m not even a student of his school yet. I think they got the wrong person.” Irene doesn’t know what’s happening but soft voice is apparently calming her down. The giggle was even better.

 

“I-I don’t believe you,” Irene said, though not as hostile as she was previously. “Yeah, I would reprimand you too but since you came in with such vengeance, I figured you didn’t plan this,” the girl chuckled and Irene felt herself blushing.“I’m sure they won’t do anything too drastic, miss.. “ her sentence trailed and Irene realized she was waiting for her to say her name. Though reluctant she finally gave in.

 

“Irene,” she said. “Hello Irene. I’m Wendy,” Wendy said to her. “I’d shake your hand and say its nice to see you but you’re not the only one bound and blindfolded,” Wendy laughed and Irene had to smile. ‘Isn’t this girl too happy being kidnapped?’

 

“Alright, the officiator is here and were moving you to the front.” There was chaos around them and they were both held up. They can hear a lot of people surrounding them now and Irene can hear a collective gasp.

 

“We are gathered here today to celebrate these two people, Irene–“ Irene was finally free of the blindfold and the first thing she saw was she assumed was Wendy, and she cursed for saying she didn’t want to participate in this hoax. The girl must be of the most gorgeous people she’s ever seen. The girl seemed surprise as well but then showed the most amazing smile that Irene wouldn’t mind being tied to this stranger at all.

 

“Wow,” the girl whispered, her smile showing her dimples. “Happy Valentines to me then,” Wendy giggled and Irene was mesmerized..

 

“– and Bogum,” the officiator finished. Irene went from gawking to looking at the guy. “Bogum? So it was that stalker?! Why I oughta–“ That was then everything went to into chaos. Seulgi arrived with a beat up Bogum, with his boys staggering to get him. The burger stand around the corner beside the wedding booth suddenly burst into flames which also made its way to where they were, the flames decorating the wedding booth.

 

“Oh my god!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter