Someone's Memories (If It Is)

Thy Soul Remembers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1

Someone's Memories (If It Is)

 

 

- First Person

 

 

        Past seven in the morning…

 

 

 

“And here is where our tour starts!”

 

 

 

Yet I wonder how the sky still seems so dark. It is cloudy, yes, but the light shining behind the dark gray thick cotton-like clouds is unusually… too blue for a morning.

 

 

 

“Let’s go in first, to one of the oldest and largest Cathedrals globally.”

 

 

 

It’s a normal annual field trip today, I suppose, well, except for the unusual appearance of the sky, it seems to be. And I know, it’s kind of cheesy for tertiary level students, but anyhow, it is still enjoyable – every academic-free day is, anyway.

 

 

 

We entered the cathedral, said to be one of the oldest and largest in the world, and it might be a boring place for a field trip because let us be honest, many of us would prefer going to the largest mall or amusement park than this, but once you get to take a step inside this sacred place? I can swear on my soul…

 

 

 

You’ll forget the excitement and wildness of your adrenaline when you’re in amusement parks.

 

 

 

It’s so peaceful, so quiet, solemn… Even the naughtiest ones in our class admired the place by wandering their eyes around the detailed carvings and meaningful art on the ceiling and walls, which also caught my attention. Everything is still vivid, some parts of it are already altered by time due to how long this Cathedral has been standing, yet it’s still there; even the history feels like touching us as we walk down.

 

 

 

“The people and even the royal family of the Kingdom of Yrrerania would also-…”

 

 

 

It hurts.

 

 

 

My chest…

 

 

 

“Minjoo?”

 

 

 

All of a sudden, there was a specific beat where my chest, along with my breath that heavily hitched, felt so tight, and I felt the need to clutch onto something and halt on my tracks, making sure I won’t fall, while observing my breathing pattern and my own heart rate, while also trying to fix my getting blurry vision.

 

 

 

“Hey, Minjoo? You okay?”

 

 

 

“Y-Yeah.” Just then, after a couple of seconds, after breathing in for about twice, as the tightness loosened confusingly, immediately, I realized…

 

 

 

I wasn’t gripping on something, yet on someone.

 

 

 

“S-Sorry.” It’s one of the professors, the most intimidating one to my misfortune, “Sorry, Professor… Ahn.” though gladly, I don’t think she minds as she just waited for me to remove my hand instead of responding, that's how I interpreted it, at least.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe her. Professor Ahn didn’t really ask you? Like, ‘are you fine?’, “Are you dizzy?’, ‘Do you want to be brought to a clinic?’?” Yuri, she seems pretty more affected than I should be, the one who gripped on the Professor who didn’t utter anything.

 

 

 

“I mean, that’s Professor Ahn, what do you expect?” Chaewon argued back after biting the sandwich she brought for lunch.

 

 

 

However, Yuri is persistent, looking really pissed, “But a student is sick?”

 

 

 

“Minjoo is not sick at all though.” Nako butted in. And just to stop the dispute even before it grows even bigger, “I’m okay, I was just a little dizzy earlier, maybe due to sitting on the bus for too long. I’m fine.” I had to say, but Yuri…

 

 

 

“But what if you’re not? Let’s say someone-…” Still wants to bicker only to be silenced by Chaewon…

 

 

 

“Yuri…" Sighing deeply, “Just stop. Nothing happened. And plus, Professor Ahn actually waited for Minjoo to stand straightly before walking past us earlier. She did observe Minjoo first, maybe she didn’t just say anything after seeing Minjoo’s color back.” Chaewon said.

 

 

 

Yuri then stopped there.

 

 

 

“Come on, let’s just eat in peace.” And started to eat her lunch, still making a face though.

 

 

 

We’re currently in a picnic area, a spacious field, still in the land of Yrrerania. After visiting a few more spots, we were directed to eat our middle-of-the-day meal first and take some rest or take a tour on our own nearby and just wait for the guide to come back and bring us to our next itinerary.

 

 

 

Everyone’s having their own places and activities; some are still having lunch, some are taking a nap, while the others are taking the time to take pictures. Mentioning picture taking, after finishing our own foods, Yuri almost dragged us out of the picnic mat, asking me, Nako, and Chaewon to take LOTS of photos of her.

 

 

 

“It’s so hot, I don’t want to move.” I said as Yuri held my hand, pouting as if it can convince me.

 

 

 

She even whimpered, making me and Chaewon laugh, which… caused her to sulk, huffing sharply.

 

 

 

“Alright, alright, hand me the cam.”

 

 

 

And I had to scoff as soon as I saw the smile that immediately crawled up to Yuri’s lips as Nako took the responsibility. I then just watched them take pictures while still resting on the mat, keeping myself from laughing as Yuri poses this and that with Nako focusing on taking each and every part of it until…

 

 

 

“Oh, wait…”

 

 

 

“Hey, where are you focusing-..”

 

 

 

“Why is she…”

 

 

 

“Professor Ahn’s looking at us?”

 

 

 

Through the camera, Nako looked in the direction where Professor Ahn and her one and only everyday companion, Miss Choi making me, Nako, and Yuri tilt our heads to confirm with our own eyes…

 

 

 

“Yeah, aren’t they?” Chaewon asked, almost mumbling, as if the two professionals could hear us.

 

 

 

“Maybe they’re checking up on Minjoo?” Yuri suggested.

 

 

 

I suddenly felt anxious. They’re not that close, they’re not that far either, but the proximity was enough to say our gazes met…

 

 

 

Sharp eyes, poker-faced, intimidating aura – my heart did skip another beat today, yet this one’s pretty loose, not tight, but a little concerning as well. And I didn’t notice I gulped, till I felt the lump on my throat getting hardly flushed.

 

 

 

A few more seconds and she’s still looking at us. Not smiling, not even a bit, yet not also turning her stare anywhere else as if… she’s competing…?

 

 

 

It’s all like that until I took the initiative to give a slight bow, to greet them, and pay respect, making sure we won’t be misunderstood after all the seconds we’ve stared at them.

 

 

 

“That was pretty scary.” Chaewon commented, and Yuri just laughed as she turns back to us while I… I don’t know, I’m silenced, still having the confused feeling.

 

 

 

“Everyone? Please fall in line by your class, we will be divided for your next walk.”

 

 

 

Yet even before I could be half-conscious, our travel guide called for us already and started the second half of the tour.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We visited different more spots while taking notes of educational information being mentioned because who knows, Professors might give quizzes about whatever was said during this field trip as if it connects to our courses just to give the students plus points while making sure we’re all actually listening and not just taking advantage of this "academic-free" day.

 

 

 

Then, after hours, maybe four or five, “So, are you ready for the last itinerary?” It’s time for one of the two most awaited places.

 

 

 

Probably the most historical part as well.

 

 

 

“The Palace of the Kingdom of Yrrerania~ The last palace to be firmly standing until this very day…”

 

 

 

My eyes scanned the exterior design of the said palace – it’s huge, the place is. Its field is full of green grasses, healthy shrubs, and trees aligned properly not so far from the half-a-person tall fences with seemingly, golden plated bars. And I also can get a peek of the garden, there are varieties of roses and even other flowers bloomed perfectly and aesthetically, as though they well-timed existed there to welcome us. It’s pleasing to the eyes, but it’s odd…

 

 

 

How instead of feeling excited together with everyone, I suddenly felt internally heavy… and yet, physically light at the same time.

 

 

 

There’s that sudden twinge in my chest for the third time today, which I… ignored as my friends approached me, “Too astonished, Minjoo? Come on.” And grabbed me by the wrist to drag me inside.

 

 

 

But even before we could fully enter the gate, I again, noticed the sky above as thunder loudly roared, making everyone flinch, some did even squeal, and run, not so long after, heavy raindrops st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter