You Said Forever (Now I Drive Alone Past Your Street)

You Said Forever (Now I Drive Alone Past Your Street)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hello, you’ve reached Hyejin’s voicemail! Please leave a message!

 

Byulyi sat by the door of Hyejin’s apartment. As usual no one answered. Byulyi took a deep breath, biting the inside of her cheek to keep herself from crying.

“Hey, Hyej. I miss you,” she mumbled. 

She wanted to beg her to pick up the phone - wanted to ramble about how she kept driving by everyday, hoping that she would answer the knock on her door - but she had already said it too many times in her past voicemails, and Byulyi knew they were left unheard. 

 

“Hyejin, please-” Byulyi let out a shaky breath, and when she heard the beep indicating that her voicemail had been recorded, she let herself cry.  

“Unnie?” Byulyi’s small voice rang through Yongsun’s phone. It made Yongsun drop everything she was currently working on, alarmed by how Byulyi sounded.

“Hey, Byul-yah, are you okay?” She asked.

 

Byulyi sobbed through the phone, “Can you come pick me up? I- I can’t drive.” 

Yongsun bolted through the door, “stay with me, yeah? Where are you right now?”

 

“At Hyejin’s.”

“Byul-ah, you know no one’s going to answer the door no matter how much you knock on it,” Yongsun prodded gently, squeezing Byulyi’s arm. 

 

“I was kind of hoping she’d finally come home, answer the door, and yell at me for being a nuisance.” Byulyi joked dryly, as fresh tears streamed down her face.

 

Yongsun briefly looked in Byulyi’s direction then back at the road. She noticed that every time she picked Byulyi up from Hyejin’s, her eyes gazed out the window, following the moon above. 

 

“Byulyi” Yong sighed, “You know you need to eventually stop doing this, yes?” she asked.

 

Byulyi didn’t answer. After an awkward silence stretched between them, Yongsun sighed in defeat. She had already expected her words would go unheeded.

 

Yongsun almost hit the brakes too hard when Byulyi responded. 

 

“I’ll only stop when she finally decides to visit me and say goodbye.” 

Babe, wake up!

Byulyi, wake up!

Byul-

 

“Hyejin-” Byulyi stood up abruptly, eyes darting around the room, looking for Hyejin. 

A blurry figure stood close to her, taking her hand and enclosing it in theirs, “Hey, it’s me, Byul.”

It took awhile for Byulyi’s eyes to focus and see that it was Yongsun in front of her. She pulled her hand away and got up without a word.

Yongsun chewed at her bottom lip. “You think you can go with us today?” she carefully asked and regretted it immediately when she saw Byulyi tense up. 

“I don’t know.”

“It’s okay-”

“-It never was okay, Yong, it never will be.” Byulyi looked at her direction, eyes filled with unshed tears and sorrow.

“Unnie,” Hyejin called, beaming a sweet smile in Byulyi’s direction.

“Hyejin-ah, don’t smile like that, I’ll get pulled over for swerving because you’re so distracting,” Byulyi joked, earning a genuine laugh from the younger.

“Unnie, remember th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter