chapter I

Far Away | Minayeon AU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I never enjoyed carrying around umbrellas. Most of the time, I'd just rather get soaked in the rain. It's cathartic, in a certain way. Like the water is washing away all of your problems and breathing new life into you. 

That's why I never purchased an umbrella and let Kyoto pour on me whenever it desired.

However, tonight was the complete opposite of that. I found myself drenched to the bones, unable to predict an immense storm would set off a few minutes after I left the McDonalds close to my University.

", I should really make a mental note to get an umbrella after this," I muttered, my blurry vision only being able to make sense of the streetlights that passed me by as I ran, searching for shelter.

I came across a tall stone stairway, with statues of foxes adorning its edges. I was aware that it led to an ancient shrine and didn't think twice before ascending the steps. I couldn't be picky now, and anywhere with a roof sounded like a good idea.

There were multiple buildings, and due to my lack of knowledge about Japanese temples, I was unaware of the differences among them, so I went for the biggest one, which was right in front of me.

It was rather dark inside, but that was still better than being struck by multiple water bullets. All it took were a few footsteps until I tripped on some sort of fence and my body collided against a hard, cold surface. The last I heard was the sound of something breaking to pieces, followed by a ferocious thunder roar.

 

 

"Such a strange attire," whispered a soft, unfamiliar voice.

Is she talking about me? If there's one thing I'm proud of, it's my fashion sense. How rude.

"Her hair color also quite odd..."

Odd? The hairstylist said caramel brown suited my skin tone perfectly. This person has some nerve to insult it.

The feeling of unknown hands sliding through my locks prompted me to open my eyes. I was dazzled by the strong daylight until my pupils adjusted, and I could make out the face of a girl, kneeling by my side.

I saw onyx hair strands tied up in a high ponytail, that perfectly matched eyes of the same color, which were curiously looking down at me. Her features were pretty enough to almost make me forget about how this stranger was insulting me a few instants ago. Almost.

"Who are you?" I asked, using my hands to elevate my upper body, so my head stood as tall as hers.

"I should be the one asking you that," she replied, frowning at me. It looked like she was analyzing every inch of me. "You... you're not a foreign spy, are you?"

"Do I look like a spy to you?" I retorted, making sure my voice showed how annoyed I was getting.

"Yes, precisely... I've never seen clothes like this before, nor a hair color this bright," she answered. "Unless they're from a-,"

"Listen here, missy, I have no idea who you are, but I'm already sick of your insults," I interrupted her, glancing down at her outfit. A traditional Japanese attire, with a white kosode top and navy blue hakama bottom. "I'm sorry if I have a fashion sense, unlike you."

Sighing, I got up, finally making sense of my surroundings. I was still in that temple. Did I fall asleep here while I waited for the rain to stop?

"Where are you going?" The black-haired girl asked, getting up as well.

"That's none of your business," I answered, shrugging her off.

Setting foot out of the temple, I was greeted by warm sunlight that felt quite refreshing compared to last night's rainstorm. The lazy wind was scattering cherry blossom petals all around.

But as pleasant as the landscape looked, I had to get home as soon as possible. There were loads of late schoolwork piling up. 

My footsteps weren't the only I could hear as I walked down the stairway. Shooting a glare back at the obnoxious girl I just met, I asked, "Why are you following me?"

"I'm not following you," she replied in that annoyingly pretentious voice. "I'm simply making my way."

"Whatever," I grumbled, clenching my knuckles.

"You're careless," she calmly said, and I stopped moving. Not because of what she said, but because I couldn't believe my own eyes.

What I saw weren't the busy streets of Kyoto I had grown so used to. Instead, there was nothing but woods and a cobblestone pathway.

"You walk around recklessly when there's a war going on," the black-haired girl said, stopping to stand beside me.

"War?" I asked incredulously. "What are you talking about?"

"You really don't know?" She asked, seemingly puzzled. "I'm talking about the lords who are trying to take power away from our emperor. I'm surprised I have to explain that to you, though..."

"Huh? Yeah, that happened, but like, 500 years ago," I countered, frowning at her and reaching for my backpack so I could grab my phone.

On the moment I took it out of my bag, the girl hurried away from me, raising her hands to shield herself. "What's wrong with you?" I asked, extending my arm to show her the device. "Calm down, it's just my phone." 

"Keep that away from me!" She warned, unsheathing a katana and completely catching me off guard.

"YOU keep that thing away from me!!" I retorted, moving away from her. "Who even walks around with a sword? Is that even legal?!"

"I am a samurai, it's only natural I carry around my sword," she replied, as if it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter