Flashback

Play with me?

It was a sunny summer day. All the kids in the block brought noise while their own parents chit-chat on the front of one's house as they watch over their children. The playful kids were running and screaming around; the sound of pebbles on the ground crashing against their rubber slippers made by each of their steps brings much more noise.

 

All of them were neighbors, obviously, they wouldn't be on this specific street if they don't live somewhere nearby. They were playing ball catch. Sweat trails down from each of the children's head; yet, they still smile and laugh regardless of how stinky and dirty their clothes get. 

 

One big and strong throw made the ball fly across the street, heading straight to an area where the street kids are prohibited to go—by their parents, of course, they just want to keep an eye out for their child at all cost.

 

A stubborn kid came chasing the ball that keeps on rolling the opposite direction. Her focus was on the ball, ignoring the fact that it has brought her somewhere far from where she should be. Thankfully, the ball made a stop when it hit a tree. The child picked up the ball with a satisfied smile before she wipes her forehead sweat with the back of her hand. It was surprising how the fact that her mother might come raging once she notices that her child is nowhere in sight doesn't ring a bell in her mind, all because of a goddamned ball. 

 

She looked up to the sky and watched the clouds move. To her imagination, the clouds seems to be changing shapes. 

 

That one cloud is a turtle. That one's a fish. That one's a rabbit. And that one's a simple round cloud which reminds her of a ball. Right. A ball.

 

She snapped back to reality after seconds of daydreaming right after she realized that she needs to get back to her friends before her mother finds out that she's missing.

 

But something stopped her.

 

She instantly looked at the ball on her hand right after the realization, when a figure from her peripheral view caught her attention in an instant. That figure wasn't far from where she was standing, and she was curious. 

 

Someone was sitting in front of the tree where the ball paid a stop. The curious child took a quick peek and saw another kid sitting alone, reading.

 

The surrounding was noisy since she was currently at the neighborhood park—which made her wonder why that kid was sitting alone reading a book instead of playing along with the other kids.

 

Monkey bars, see-saws, swings, slides, and anything that you would usually see on a park. It was filled with children, and a few parents watching over them. It made her curious. Why is she alone?

 

Curiosity made her forget the consequences of her absence on her own street, for she walked closer to the other kid. She sat down and looked at the book.

 

"No pictures? That's boring" she said bluntly, slightly surprising the other girl.

 

"Leave me alone." the other girl answered before shifting her sitting position.

 

She placed the ball on the ground and sat right beside the loner. "Why are you not playing with them?" she asked while looking over the busy park, silently jealous since she's never really tried any of the activities the park has to offer.

 

The other kid did not answer; her eyes are still glued to the uninteresting book that she was reading, and it made the ball-chaser roll her eyes. "You should come and play with us." she offered. The girl gave her a glance from the side, then instantly reverted her gaze back to the book.

 

She hesitated, the ball-chaser was certain. "No." The loner answered firmly.

 

After a few seconds of silence, the ball-chaser grabbed the book and ran as far as she could towards the middle of the park.

 

The loner was shocked, she didn't even move at first. She was mad. It took her a while to stand up because she was contemplating whether running after the stubborn kid is worth it or not. But she did. She ran after her, and they are running around in circles.

 

"Give that back!!" she screamed, the stubborn girl let out her tongue playfully while waving the thin book in the air.

 

"Only if you play with me!" she shouted back.

 

The running continues, and a few moments later, a scream was heard.

 

"KIM DAHYUN!! COME BACK HERE!!" her mother called her out. It made some of the children–including their parents–look at where her mother was standing. Even their running session was stopped. The loner thought that it's finally a big chance to grab her book, so she did.

 

Dahyun looked at her and offered her hand.

 

"This might be the only time that I'd come here, so this is the last offer." she said, the loner looked down at the tiny pale hand infront of her. "Play with me?" she asked for the last time. The loner hesitated, but another scream from Dahyun's mother made her grab the tiny hand without even thinking.

 

And with that, they ran towards the angry mother hand in hand. Dahyun was greeted with a pinch on her ear and non-stop scolding coming from her mother.

 

"Ow! Sorry mom! It won't happen again!" she said with her ear still being pinched as the parent and the two kids walk back to their own street. "I–I made a new friend. See? She was alone and I wanted her to come and play with us. And–ow!"

 

"You're not allowed to play outside anymore. If you want to play with your friends, ask them to come over." Her mother demanded once they finally reached the front of their house, and she finally decided to let go of Dahyun's poor little ear. 

 

"Okay" Dahyun answered. She had no choice anyway.

 

"Say good bye to your friend then come inside right after." Her mother demanded once again before heading inside their own home, leaving the two children behind.

 

The street was quiet. Dahyun's friends has already returned home and the sun was getting ready to set.

 

"Sorry you had to see that" Dahyun apologized while rubbing her red ear due to the pinching. The loner felt guilty for no reason. "I think you should go home now, you might be scolded too." Dahyun added.

 

The little girl grasped the thin book on her hand. "I'll come over tomorrow" she whispered, but loud enough for Dahyun to hear.

 

It made her feel excited. She never thought that the loner would actually say that, or even say anything. Her eyes widened in happines, and it made her grab the girl's shoulders. "Really!?" she said rather excitedly.

 

The loner let out a soft giggle. "Yes" she answered shortly.

 

Dahyun let out a playful victory dance, and it made the loner laugh. Then suddenly, she remembered something.

 

"What's your name?" Dahyun asked.

 

The loner looked away, her face turning pink.

 

"Mina"

 

~

 

The two kids got closer rather quicker than expected. They played almost everyday. Well, Mina comes over to Dahyun's house since she's still not allowed to go outside. But it's perfectly fine for her, she got to eat her favorite snacks and watch her favorite tv shows with Mina by her side. Sometimes it's just the two of them, and sometimes the other kids from the street joins them.

 

Everything was new to Mina. She was indeed a loner in such a young age. She used to keep herself busy with the picture-less story books that Dahyun always hated. She never really had friends up until the day when Dahyun was unexpectedly brought to the park thanks to the stray ball. Mina's childhood was completely changed when she met Dahyun, especially when she was finally allowed to play outside.

 

It became more colorful. She discovered a lot of stuff; found out new games, tried out snacks that she never heard of before, and even got her first knee bruise. All these memories were unlocked thanks to Dahyun. She might hate to admit it, but she never regretted taking Dahyun's hand the first time they met at the park.

 

Mina was a very clumsy child. She mostly trip over rocks or even the thin air and gets the worst scars. But Dahyun was always there to take care of her. She either takes Mina to their home to treat her scars, or carry her back to her own place since she lives on the other street.

 

It was fun and very memorable, the two kids treasure almost every moment that they spent as they grow up together.

 

They learnt how to ride a bike, fly a kite, and so much more. They even went to the same school when they were in elementary. Shared each other's lunch and snacks. Exchanged jokes. Pranks. Everything.

 

Even if they spent the whole day at school together, they still manage to call each other at their own homes just to talk about anything that comes in mind.

 

They understand each other. Their imaginations were aligned—Dahyun has a wild imagination, and Mina just goes along with it.

 

But all that was halted when they entered highschool.

 

Mina had to go overseas to study as requested by her parents. That one specific day was the most painful for Dahyun. Seeing Mina inside a car with their luggages inside broke her heart.

 

Mina was crying, and Dahyun was too. But Dahyun was angry.

 

Mina didn't tell Dahyun about anything about this. She had no idea that her parents are sending her overseas to study for highschool. The day when Mina was about to leave–when she was inside the car, she requested her driver to pay a quick stop over at Dahyun's house. Dahyun was headed to her place, and she just stepped out of their home when the car unexpectedly stopped right in front of her, with Mina and her tears falling down her face.

 

They didn't say a word to each other. Mina didn't even pull the car window down. Dahyun wanted to talk to her, but she didn't know what to say. 

 

Seeing Dahyun like that broke Mina's heart even more, and she wanted to leave just to get away from that painful sight.

 

"I'm sorry." she mouthed over to Dahyun right before the car started to move forward.

 

Mina looked at the rearview mirror and saw Dahyun standing in the middle of the street with a plastic full of snacks on the ground. Her heart broke even more.

 

As years pass, Dahyun kept on waiting for any type of contact from her childhood friend. Technology has become advanced, cellphones are invented together with different ways of communication. Even some social media were created. But still, nothing. No contact from Mina. Not a single letter from the mail and even a friend request on the latest networking site. That's when Dahyun decided that she should forget about her.

 

 

But it was hard. Very hard.

 

It was so hard for her to forget someone that she grew up with. Someone whom she explored the world with. That one unexpected friend. Her first love. It was hard.

 

She tried to forget about her—she really did. But there are times when she was suddenly reminded of her existence, especially when she sees their picture together on this frame place on top of her cabinet. All the pain just comes back to her.

 

Today was one of those days that she was reminded of her childhood friend.

 

 

Dahyun is finally on college, and Mina is too. Dahyun saw their picture inside her drawer when she was looking for something that she can use to clean her glasses. She grabbed the picture frame and let out a heavy sigh. "Where are you now? How are you?" she asked herself. "Do you still remember me?" she added. Tears were suddenly forming on her eyes, and she was quick enough to put the frame back to the drawer right before her tears actually fall.

 

Then, she proceeded to her day.

 

First day in college. Everything is new. The environment, the people, and the atmosphere.

 

It was odd. She was certain that this is just a normal day, but she has an unexplainable feeling. Probably because of the picture that she saw earlier.

 

Dahyun looked down to her desk as she waited for her other classmates to come. The classroom door keeps on opening, and she looks up every time to check if the teacher has arrived.

 

The door opened for the countless time and Dahyun looked up once again; then, her world stopped.

 

She looks familiar. Her presence is familiar. Her hair is long and she has a fringe. Was she this tall? Was she this beautiful? Is this really her?

 

All those questions popped into her head continuously when a certain girl entered the room. Their eyes met in an instant, and the girl was as surprised as she is.

 

"Dahyun?"