fin

fools
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s beautiful.

And Winter’s not even referring to the intricate designs of her gown that took an excruciatingly long amount of time designing (Ningning could attest for that). Or her make-up that she may or may have not ruined a few times by crying.

Winter’s talking about her smile, the entirety of her. The way her hands shake, gripping too tight at the beautiful arrangement, her rosary ring—that she refused to take off—blending in just fine with the ceremony.

Karina’s always been like that, sentimental.

And stubborn. She holds on to things even if she doesn’t have to, valuing memories and people from the past, saying they made her who she is today. Winter would argue, disagree. Say that no one made her but herself, and Karina would chuckle. Tap her cheeks lightly, and reprimand her for being an ungrateful brat.

Karina smiled at her as she began walking pass through the huge oak doors.

It’s the kind of smile Karina makes whenever Winter offers her cola at midnight during hell weeks, (because she needs caffeine, and Karina hates coffee), adorable and warm. Head tilting a bit as her dimple makes a welcomed appearance.

Winter’s lips shook, suddenly reminded of days where both of them would lay under the covers, all cheeky smiles and careful blushes after long movie marathons. Times where Karina would enter a room scanning for a particular face with knitting brows and a prominent pout, but smiling automatically once her gaze landed on Winter.

Winter’s stomach would lurch, flipping upside down.

Even until now.

God, she’s just so in love.

Winter couldn’t really remember when it all happened.

When she began feeling it.

Maybe it all started at a playground, when a slightly older kid arrived with her crocodile plushie. When a bunch of younger kids started calling her names when she hasn’t done anything remotely offensive, and Winter, as disgusting and sweaty as she is, offered her hand.

The crocodile plushie owner didn’t even hesitate on taking it.

Maybe there were sparks in there, tiny currents of electricity prickling Winter’s hand, but she was too young to notice.

“Hi,” Winter remembered saying as they walk away from the playground, she grins, a toothless one, “I’m Minjeong, but they call me Winter. I live right there,” she points out her house, “What’s your name?”

The crocodile plushie owner nods, “Jimin…”

“Great,” Winter smiles again, “Nice meeting you, Karina.”

 

 

Winter chuckles silently, amused at how random her younger self was. Karina looks at her questioningly halfway through the altar, and Winter shrugs, grinning sheepishly.

 

 

“No, my name is—”

“Now, we must go and get cookies, Karina. It’s snack time, would you like to come with me?”

“But, I’m Jimin…” Karina says, confused.

“Come on,” Winter pulls Karina’s hands, and the older girl had no other choice, “I’ll even feed your croco.”

Winter’s memory might be a little blurry but she could remember how wide Karina’s smile was, how endearing it was. Looking back, she’s pretty sure that her younger self paused for a while to stare at her. Mesmerized by the genuinely childish happiness that flashed on the older girl’s face.

Yeah, it definitely started right there.

But Winter was only able to put a name on her feelings during high school. Where everybody adored Karina, smitten by her pretty face. Where half of the school population was enamored by her intelligence and striking charisma that suitors lay endless love letters on her wake. Her assigned seat filled with chocolates that they both nibbled on during lunches.

It alarmed Winter, afraid that someone will suddenly take her Karina away.

But no one did.

Because Karina never looked at them the way she looks at Winter.

Karina never held their hands, never showed them her dimpled smile from across the room. Never listened to their complaints, never hugged them while murmuring quiet assurance.

Karina never showed any affection nor interest towards anyone other than her.

“I’m taking you to prom,” Karina snatches the book Winter was reading, sliding beside her, “we’re going to prom together.”

“Everyone’s been asking you to go with them,” Winter whispered when Karina leaned her head on her shoulder, “and you want to take me instead?”

“Why not?”

“It’s weird…” Winter sighs, fingers drawing circles on Karina’s palm. A distraction, a weak attempt to calm the brewing storm inside her chest.

“You know what’s weirder?” Karina looks up to her, the proximity was so close. Suffocating but in a good way. Karina wets her lips, and Winter averted her gaze.

 It should be a sin to look that good.

Winter coughs, “What?”

“Going with someone I don’t like.”

It was flattering, the cold warmth that ran through her spine when Karina said those words. Winter’s face heating up with a surge of different emotions, that even her—the top student of their class—couldn’t quite comprehend.

Karina stared at her with doe eyes a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter