fin.

wouldn't have it any other way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jaemin kicked for the first time, Donghyuk had been purely elated and ridiculously so. It was such a relief to feel those first few flutters right under his belly button. When he had been pregnant with his first son, Jeno rarely kicked and that often led to many a panicked visit to the clinic in fear that there was something wrong with the baby. Despite receiving reassuring words and promises from his doctor that ensured Jeno was just too comfortable to move around, Donghyuk had not stopped worrying his entire pregnancy. He couldn't help the anxious beating of his heart when he didn't feel his baby move, and it hadn't been until he was safe in his arms that his worries flew out the window. 

With Jaemin, Donghyuk felt him much sooner and his kicks were much stronger. It comforted Donghyuk exponentially more knowing he could feel his second son moving around when the first time he'd been pregnant had been a guessing game at every corner. Feeling his first few wiggles and kicks had been magical and Mark was just as pleased feeling him move. He'd had the same worries about Jeno that his husband had and it was a relief to find a change. Those first few kicks were Donghyuk's favorite and he wished he could feel them until the very end. 

But now he was sick of all the kicking and moving, all the heels to his ribs, all the elbows to his kidneys, and all the headbutts to his bladder. Thirty-two weeks into this pregnancy with his second son and his only wish was that he would slow down and give Donghyuk a second to breathe. Jaemin was ten times more active than Jeno had ever been and he wondered how he managed to have two sons who were on the complete opposite ends of the fetal movement spectrum. 

"I blame you," Donghyuk groused as he shifted against his mountain of pillows stacked on the couch. His back was starting to hurt and Jaemin's quick feet were once again starting to kick and wiggle. He barely had time to breathe and now here he was. 

Mark's brows furrowed, tearing his eyes away from the television screen. The family of three was watching a movie of Jeno's choosing and the three-year-old had chosen a nature documentary of sea animals. He was fascinated by sea life and the ocean but instead of watching the screen and learning about dolphin's swimming formations he was instead laying on his stomach and reading a book about the same animal. Well, he couldn't read yet, but he had memorized every word on every page and was reciting it to himself. He was terribly cute.

"What are you blaming me for?" Mark asked, glancing down at his lap where Donghyuk's feet laid. They had started out the documentary with Mark massaging his swollen feet but he was soon too focused on what the narrator had to say about sharks. Now that he was distracted, he returned to his previous task and rubbed into his soles. 

"He won't stop moving!" Donghyuk huffed, a hand going to rest right where he could feel his son jabbing his toes, "I'm not sure where he gets all this energy from but it is certainly not me," he whined, shifting once more until he was propped up against his pillows enough to ease his back. He found comfort but he couldn't even revel in it without another nudge from Jaemin, "It's all your fault." 

"I think you're mistaken," Mark shook his head, an amused smile on his face, "If he's inherited energy from any of us it's you," he reminded. And he wasn't wrong. Donghyuk was just full of energy and life and he was definitely the one Jaemin got all of his boundless energy from. And Donghyuk knew it. 

"Whatever," Donghyuk sighed grouchily, kicking his feet out of Mark's lap. He wasn't comfortable anymore and he decided he needed to stand up to find any semblance of comfort. Sitting wasn't doing it for him anymore, but he soon found a problem. The couch was lower to the ground and so standing up on his own at his size was extremely difficult to do. Knowing he had no choice, Donghyuk glanced at Mark with a defeated frown, "Can you help me up?"

Mark didn't need to hear Donghyuk ask him before he was up on his own feet, which was done so effortlessly that Donghyuk grew jealous. The older held his hands out and Donghyuk accepted them, feeling much better once he was on his feet. Jaemin shifted once again, but it wasn't enough to hurt Donghyuk as much as it had before. He could always handle it better when he was standing up. 

Which prompted an idea that he should have considered as soon as Jaemin started to stretch and roll and mess with Donghyuk's back, "I think we should go for a walk," he suggested, locking both his hands together and cradling his belly from below. It was getting so heavy and Jaemin was a much bigger baby than Jeno. Who knows why, "I really need one." 

But Mark quirked an eyebrow and looked unsure of the idea, "I don't think it would help you out very much since it's so hot outside," he noted, pointing with his thumb towards their large sliding door located in the back of their house that led to their open backyard, "You'll burn up."

The small family was lucky enough to live in a house where the backyard just so happened to be the beach. They'd bought it on a whim just before Jeno was born and they stared in disbelief every morning when the sun rose above the ocean line and sunk below the tide every night, creating this perfect landscape they called home. It was the reason Jeno was so obsessed with sea life having spent his whole life on the shore and in the sand. Because of Jeno's infatuation with the ocean, Mark and Donghyuk never made any plans of moving. The beach was the perfect place to spend a walk and Donghyuk often requested taking a walk when he was having one of his worst days. That afternoon was no better time, whether Mark believed so or not. 

Donghyuk huffed and shook his head, disagreeing entirely, "I will not, and if I do I can always stand in the water," he wasn't opposed to swimming in the ocean today, "And Minnie won't stop moving around. If we go on a walk he'll calm down and I can finally be comfortable," Donghyuk reminded, emphasizing his need to go on a walk. Often when they went on walks Jaemin would calm down resolve to small flutters. Donghyuk would have to guess it was the rocking motion that calmed him, but whatever it was it helped and Donghyuk just needed some peace of mind before he resorted to insanity. He was a little desperate at this point, feeling what he believed to be his son's pressing into his belly button. It didn't feel good. 

At this point, Jeno was starting to catch on, no longer interested in the pictures of his book about underwater creatures, "Water? Will we swim?" he asked, excited smile hitting both Donghyuk and Mark right in the chests. Jeno had one of the prettiest smiles they both had the pleasure of seeing and it so happened to belong to their son. Neither had a choice but to smile back, "Does Mommy need to walk?" he asked, abandoning his book entirely in favor of standing between his mother and father. 

Jeno knew the drill; he'd adjusted well the past eight months to his mother's needs. He was very smart, "Yes, Mommy does need a walk," Mark nodded, stooping over so he could lift and carry his son. He perked him right on his hip, his little legs immediately wrapping around Mark's slim waist, "Is that okay with you?"

"Of course!" Jeno exclaimed, bouncing up and down on his father's hip, "Let's go!" he giggled into his hand, excited getting the best of him and bringing up that energy that he only showed when things really mattered to him. 

"We will but hold on," Mark assured, turning to away towards the hallway that held all their shoes and swimsuits, "We have to put on your swim trunks and put sunscreen on first," all Jeno needed was a pair of swim trunks and his sun hat which they could really do without. It never stayed on long but Donghyuk insisted Jeno wear it, "If we don't put sunscreen on what will happen?" Mark asked, setting his son on a stool so he wouldn't bolt in the direction of the back door. He'd done it before and it was a pain tracking him down. He was just so fast. 

"My skin will burn and turn red!" Jeno interjected with a frown. Both Mark and Donghyuk did their best with sunscreen but there had been instances where they failed to cover an area or they didn't put enough on and the little boy would have red patches on his skin and leave him with that familiar sunburn pain. Jeno shook his head, "I don't want hurt skin." 

"You won't get any hurt skin," Mark assured as he found the tube of sunscreen and his son's swim trunks, "Let's change you first and then maybe Mommy can put his swim trunks on as well," he glanced at Donghyuk, knowing the younger would do so with how the weather was. He would need the proper wear, "Here," he handed over Donghyuk's swim trunks that had been hung up next to Jeno's, "Change." 

And so he did, keeping a shirt on to protect his skin until it was time to get into the water if he so pleased. By the time he was done Jeno had sunscreen lathered on his skin and he was patiently waiting at the back door for his mother and father to finish getting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter