First Kiss [fin]

First Kiss

KOREA! It was in the winter of 2017 when we first met. A young, beautiful social butterfly unlike me a blunt, cold one.

 

Sana is that type of girl any genders will fall in love with. An ideal classy personality all admired. Including me. 

 

"Hi, can I sit here?" I heard a voice spoke sweetly to my hearing. It was the first day of class. I was in sophomore. I looked up and see where the voice came from. 

 

 

I was amused at the sight. Today's school year will be a lot better if she always sits beside me, thought to myself. Not trying to creep the other, I cleared my throat as I realized that I was staring too long to reply.

 

"Yeah." All that I muttered. The other shrugged her shoulder at my gesture. She may see me as a cold person, by, which all sees me. 

 

 

God must be on my favor when the certain girl permanently sat beside me. Wondered how myself smiled that she immediately notice, she spoke quietly.

 

"You're Dahyun, right?" Discreetly not to attract the attention of the teacher speaking Geometry boringly.

 

I nodded. 

 

"You seem so reserved, Dahyun." I am overwhelmed at her observation.

 

"I am not friendly." I spoke then turned my head down, fidgeting the cap of my pen.

 

"I know but I want to be friends with you." She said, making me assured that she understands me.

 

"I am not easy to be with." I continued.

 

"Who knows maybe you aren't really like that." She said confidently as if she knows me for quite sometime now.

 

"Uhmm.." I lost at my own words when the teacher finally noticed our small talks.

 

"Miss Kim and Miss Minatozaki. Answer this on the board now!" The teacher said loudly.

 

We both stared at each other, almost at the same time before standing up and grabbing the white board markers from the teacher who is now furious at our attempt to not paying attention.

 

The written seatwork is just easy for me and for Sana too, which, the gesture made me more attracted to her. We finished writing our answers in a span of 7 seconds. 

 

Upon our wayback to our seats, she shot me a wink, which I returned with a smile. 

 

The bell rang. It was lunchtime. I grabbed my things and was about to make my way to the library when Sana grabbed my arms,

 

"Dahyun, aren't you supposed to eat?"

 

"I'm on a diet," I lied.

 

"That doesn't seem to be a good answer based on your iris." 

 

No answer. The hands still on my arms.

 

"Come, let's eat. I know a place where there isn't many people."

 

How could she possibly know I am allergic to people? Plus point ;Miss. 

 

Sana brought me to a soon-to-be-secluded portion of the school where old benches are scattered. 

 

"Hey, sit here." She instructed which I gladly obeyed. Eyeing her actions, I am convinced that she really tries her best to be friends with me.

 

She grabbed her lunchbox, but, wait, it isn't only one. 

 

"I thought of you when I made it this morning so I prepared another serving for you." She said with her eyesmile.

 

"That's so thoughtful of you, Sana."

 

 

S A N A

 

She immediately turned her head to me and glanced as I said her name for the very first time. She looked shocked by which to me is really cute. Her expressive eyes tell me her intentions are real.

 

"Sana." She said. "..I thought you didn't know me." She joked around. I laughed a little. 

 

She opened her lunchboxes. I was surprised that she brought  my favorites. Tteokbokki and gimbap. 

 

"You seem to enjoy the food." She said to me.

"Thank you, these are my favorites."

"Really?" She squealed excitedly.

"Yes." I nodded.

"I'll cook that more frequent now." She said while munching the gimbap. 

"Don't. Cook whatever you like." 

"What if I like you?" It was a question but I can't stop myself choking on the sudden attack. 

 

She rubbed my back. "Sorry...but I am not taking back what I said earlier." She stared at my eyes while handing me her tumbler.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I like you."

 

She said it upfront with no marks of stutter. 

 

"But please don't push me away, Dahyun. Its fine you won't reciprocate it. I just want to be around with you." She extended her hand to pinch my reddened cheeks, "...like this. It makes me happy." She added.

 

I'm just staring, I do not know how to reach at her sudden confession. My mouth is dry. I can't even say a word. 

 

"You're really cute. That's why I like you." another pinch on face, on the opposite side now. She mentioned that it should be equal.

 

 

Miss, please let my heart breathe. 

 

 

Two months later, Sana and I became really close. She did not break her promise to always include me in her lunch. 

 

Today, I told her not to bring any food. 

 

Two months later, same spot. Lunchtime. 

 

"Here." I handed her a lunchbox set. 

I looked away when she grabbed the container as I am embarassed at what she will be seeing.

 

Inside, I made a tuna omellette and a ketchup written with a heart drawing. 

 

Sana giggled and said, "Dahyunie, why are you turning your back? This is so cute. Ohmygod." 

 

"I'm sorry, still trying to learn cooking." I looked down.

 

"Hey," she lifted up my head and looked at my eyes "...this is cute okay? I am happy that you are now taking care of yourself more than ever."

 

"It's because of you." The words came out loudly. 

 

"What?"

 

There's no turning back now, Kim Dahyun.

 

"I said, I like you too." I said while shifting my eyes away from her gaze.

 

Unexpectedly, I was pulled in for a hug. 

 

This is how our story started. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KOREA! It was in the winter of 2017 when we first met. I met a girl who became a huge part of my life and turned me into a better version of myself.

 

Ever since that I confessed, Sana asked me if I can meet her friends. She clearly stated at its going to be a little by little process and every step is fine with her. I told her yes as long as she's around whenever I meet one. She smiled and assured me that she'll always be there.

 

"Sana."

 

The tall blonde said welcoming us and giving hugs to Sana. Another pair of arms welcomed her arrival, a woman with many moles on the face and a shorter one. Until Sana was met with seven loving friends for a tight group hug. 

 

"It's been two months!" one woman growled.

"I'm sorry. I missed all of you." 

 

Before Sana could even forget I am existent, she reached for my hand and introduced her with her circle of friends.

 

"No need to introduce her," the shorter girl said.

"Dahyun, right?" the tallest uttered.

"The Kim Dahyun." the tall blonde completed.

"Nope, the Kim Dahyun of Minatozaki." the woman with many moles on the face added.

"Girls, its ... The Kim Dahyun of Minatozaki Sana." the girl with a bunny teeth proudly said.

"Sssh. Stop. Let Sana introduce her girl, alright? Calm." this is the girl which I supposed part of the student government.

 

"This is Kim Dahyun. My Kim Dahyun." she giggled which I blused and got a lot of tease from her friends.

 

"Hi." I waved my small hands shyly.

 

"Sana, she is so cute." the girl sporting a jogger pants and crop top said.

 

"Momo! She's taken and you are!" Sana yelled. 

 

"Hi, Momo. I am taken." I laughed awkwardly and waved my hands again at the woman to support Sana. The other girls screamed with "Oooh and Ahh's" when I mentioned it.

 

"Uhm, girls. Please take care of my Dahyunie. She's isn't so sociable so. And you Momo should keep your distance." Sana furrowed her eyes. I giggled at her antics. 

 

"She will not. Don't dare, Hirai." it was the tallest who spoke.

 

All of the girls laughed loudly including me. Sana held my hand tighter and assured she's with me. She leaned at my chest. 

 

"Thank you, Sana." I smiled at her. 

 

 

 

The days went by quickly, we always do the same routine. Being seatmates, being lunch buddies, being library buddy, and all kinds of stuff we could enjoy while at school.

 

It was now our fourth year in high school. To graduate, we are told to create a thesis. Our adviser picked our partners using paper lottery. 

 

"Yeji ...and Lia." the woman said while crumpling the small piece of paper then grabbing another one.

 

"Hyuna and...Dawn." Same procedure was held.

 

Until my name has been called,

 

"Dahyun...and..." my hands are shaking while waiting for the announcement of my partner, as I am allergic to people I hope God loves me this moment.

 

...Minatozaki." the teacher spoke clearly. Sana's eyes and mine met happily. If the teacher wasn't around we will be celebrating and jumping with so much joy.

 

Our class has ended, I drove Sana to her house. Ever since this fourth year, my father entrusted me his old engine and got me a license. 

 

While driving, Sana spoke ...

 

"Dahyun, should you sleepover at ours? Let's make our thesis memorable."

 

I am not so sure if my parents will allow me so I replied,

 

"I'll tell Mom about it." I kissed Sana's left hand. She immediately smiled that made my heart beat happily. 

 

Soon, its at the front of their house so she bid farewell. 

 

"Bye, Dahyunie." she unbuckled and was about to leave the car when I grabbed her right arm and started putting away my seatbelt too.

"Good night and take care my princess." I kissed her forehead and I noticed the pink shade on her cheeks forming as she covered her left cheek with right hand. She pouted.

 

"Why?" I giggled. She started pointing at her lips.

"Not yet, my dear. Please get inside." I kissed her forehead again and this time its longer. I hugged her after the kiss. 

Still pouting she said, "Good night too, my Dahyunie." She hugged me and sniffed my smell too. 

 

After that first times, I tend to become more expressive at my own feelings. That day on the car, it was the day that I kissed her hand and forehead the first time. It still feels surreal. Smiling to myself, I know Sana has made me like this.

 

That night too, at dinner, I spoke with my parents about Sana's plan. 

 

"How's school, Dahyunah?" Dad initiated.

 

"Good, Dad." I smiled at him.

 

"You looked so happy ever since you transferred at that school." My mom mentioned. It was the first time she said it. Maybe because she wanted to confirm if I am really happy or not. As what one of our teachers said, mothers know best.

 

"I am. Thank you, Mom." I assured them and grab another bite of meat with samyang.

 

"That girl..." my Dad said which stopped me from making a spoonful of rice. 

 

"..she's making you happy right?" Dad said. I was shocked to how do they possibly know? I acted innocent.

 

"Dad?" 

 

"Sana. Don't even pretend you don't know, Dahyun." Dad said at the tone not too serious and not too comfortable as well.

 

"Sana makes you so happy and insipired, don't you think Dad?" It was my Mom and she directed her gaze to Dad.

 

"I'm seeing it too. I think its for years now. Don't you think, Dahyun-ah?" 

 

I can't resist to smile as what they know is true. 

 

"Yeah. Sorry, I didn't tell you." I admitted.

 

"We're happy that someone makes you the person you are before, Dahyun-ah. You deserve to be happy." Dad reached for my left arm and squeezed it. 

 

"Thanks, Dad. I'm sorry if I can't date ...a ..guy." I stuttered. 

 

"Sweetie, that's fine. We now understand." It was Mom. If Sana wa sjust here, I'll definitely kiss her on the lips with so much joy for my parents accepted my uality, finally.

 

I called Sana after washing my face. 

 

Dialing Kim Sana was on my screen, I'm glad she accepted few seconds after ringing.

 

"Dahyunie!" her voice is so happy. She haven't expected my call.

 

Well, I am not calling if there isn't an urgent thing so she maybe is shocked upon my answering.

 

"Hey, no. Don't think that there is an urgent stuff. I just missed you." I melted at my own words with a bit cringe but its Sana, love of my life so I don't care.

 

"Dahyun-ah, you're too sweet. Did you do something wrong? Or, maybe you'll ask again if you could hang out and drink again with Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon, and Tzuyu, please babe, you know my answer for that. I'm sorry." Sana said earning a laugh from me.

 

"Why so serious? I mean it, I miss you." I said truthfully.

 

"If you could only see my goosebumps now for making me feel butterflies in my stomach, you maybe rolling on the floor laughing now." 

 

"I won't mind and still say many times that I miss you." 

 

Sana pressed the Facetime and now I can see her snuggling on her bolsters and hugging the teddy bear I gave her during our first anniversary. 

 

"I pressed it so I can see if you are just making fun of me and to check where are you. Are you sure you aren't drunk?"

 

"Baby, that's harsh. No, I don't. But.."

 

"But..." Sana's eyebrows furrowed.

 

"Its more than that."

 

"My...what? Kim Dahyun for goodness sake. What did you do?"

 

"No, no. Please listen first, okay?" 

 

"All ears now." Sana stated.

 

"At dinner, Mom and Dad said I looked happy. They said, it wasn't just these past few days or weeks but for years now."

 

"Omygod...continue." She said while making faces to make me laugh to lessen the seriousness of our conversation.

 

"Then, I tried to deny that I acknowledge what they are talking. They didn't buy it. Then they mentioned your name..." 

 

Sana got up and now sitting at her bed upon hearing what I said. She didn't say anything but she just signaled for me to continue.

 

"They said, "Isn't Sana the girl who made you happy?" I can't resist so I told them yes and I apologized for the same instance that I can't date those guys they are telling me to because now I am in love with you."

 

That was so smooth that I saw Sana's tears are forming at her eyes now, she fanned herself. 

 

"Dahyuniee, that's so brave and sweet of you. What did they say? Did they.. Accepted you? Us?"

 

I smiled at her and I can see her worried face anticipating for my answer.

 

 

"They said ... As long as my old self bubbly and cheeky Dahyun is now existent, they'll support us." I smiled brightly, and widely. I saw Sana on the screen her smile lit up and she's so happy about the news.

 

"Oh my god, babe. I can really call you my babe now!"

 

"Do you want to come over ... and meet them?" I asked.

 

"Wait, babe. It's late now." She glanced at her digital clock standing on the bedside table.

 

"No, not today. I'll fetch you tomorrow early and let's have breakfast here?" I proposed.

 

"That's a good idea, babe. Thank you!" She gave me an airhug. 

 

"I love you." It was the first time I said it. Sana's eyes widen upon hearing it. She adjusted her airpods to check if its working.

 

"Hey, its working fine. I said, I love you Miss Minatozaki." I hid my face on the throw pillow she designed and gave me on our first anniversary too. Sniffing her smell as she usually used it whenever we go on ride. 

 

Her cheeks are now visibly blushing. 

 

"Are you stunned? Where is my..."

 

"I love you too, babe." I haven't continued my complaint as she said it. 

 

We both giggled at our own antics.

 

"You're so cheesy tonight, Kim Dahyun."

 

"Ouch, that's a whole name. I'd like it to be sweeter." I winked at her.

 

"Tch. So brave now just because your parents now know!"

 

"Of course." I smirked.

 

"Hmm, so are we sleeping or we'll just talk until we fell asleep?"

 

"I like the latter."

 

"My phone's dead, babe. Let's just see each other early. Pick me up at 6am. Don't be late, Miss Kim. I love you." She said it rapidly with a sound of smooch at the end.

 

"Good night, sleepyhead princess. I love you too!" The call was ended, maybe her phone was totally drained.

 

 

 

FFW TO BREAKFAST AT THE KIM'S RESIDENCE

 

"You didn't tell me you're inviting Sana over. I should have delivered something."

 

"That's so kind of you, Mrs. Kim but its l fine. Dahyun's omelette is the best." Sana's words always made me blush.

 

"Dahyun, your cheeks are burning." Dad jokes but it wasn't as my cheeks are beaming with red.

 

"I think she's fine, she's always like that whenever I complimented her." Sana giggled. 

 

My parents are just laughing around at Sana's antics. I can't imagine how easily she has captured them but I'm glad to see both of my family and now the future part of it are talking happily. 

 

Sana's hand found my thighs and she is reaching for my left hand so I reached hers. She squeezed it and I held hers tightly. The breakfast was now ended. Sana offered to wash the dishes but Mom didn't let her.

 

"Dahyun, do it."

 

I collected the plates before turning back only to her my father saying thanks to Sana. When I reached the kitchen, I still hear them laughing. Sana is maybe a kind-natured lady and easy to be with. I just smiled at the thought. I was about to wipe the last piece of utensil I washed when  a certain pair of arms hugged me from behind.

 

"Baby, assigned in the sink." She leaned at me and sniffed my scent.

"Because my Mom loves you more than me now." I admitted. She just giggled and turned the faucet on to wash her hands.

"Quick now, our thesis is the first subject babe." She left me a peck on mu right cheeks. I smiled and let the blush go away.

"Alright, babe." I said as wiped my hands to dry. 

 

 

 

FFW [SCHOOL]

 

"I am assuming that all of you and your partners are working on your papers now. I'll be announcing the schedules of your defense and the order of the groups to present."

 

I am massaging Sana's hand as she extended it on my arm chair, gladly, our teacher don't mind. They can't say a thing for both Sana and I excel in all subjects. 

 

"So the first pair that will defend their studies will be ... Ms. Kim and Ms. Minatozaki."

 

I gulped upon hearing our surnames. Why are we the first one to present? We aren't starting anything yet. I am internally crying.

 

"Miss, when is the deadline for the checking of papers before the defense?"

 

"Next Friday, Ms. Minatozaki."

 

Sana just nodded and glanced at me, she knows I am tensed so she gave a tight-lipped smile for assurance.

 

"It's okay, babe. We still can ace it!" She whispered at my right ear.

 

 

 

There was no second subject to let us prepare our papers so we went to the library and search for the materials we could use for our paper. We both are reading the texts until Sana spoke,

 

"So, babe. You really need to come over at my place. Let's work overnight."

 

"But..I haven't met your parents yet, babe." I looked down at the edge of the page I am reading.

 

"Exactly! That's the right time to come over right."

 

"..I'll inform Mom and Dad." 

 

"Alright, babe." She smiled and returned to reading. 

 

The sleepover will be held on Friday, it was two days from now. I told my parents about it and they said its totally fine because if ever we get wild or , there will be no offspring to produce. My parents are so funny. 

 

 

FFW [FRIDAY, SANA'S PLACE DINNER]

 

"Dahyun." Sana's mother said lovingly and kissed me at the cheeks which kind of tickled.

 

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Minatozaki." I bowed at the two elders.

 

"Have a seat. Dig in." Mr. Minatozaki said. 

 

"Thank you, Sir." Sana held my arms and  told me to sit beside her. 

 

I am amused that the dishes are all my favorites from gimbap, to tteokbokki, to sushi, and bibimbap. 

 

"I think I'll be full tonight." I nervously said.

 

"Sana prepared those for you. Eat plenty, Dahyun." Sana's father said. 

 

I smiled and squeezed Sana's right hand  underneath the table. 

 

We are eating quietly when Sana's mother suddenly spoke revelation,

 

"So you're the Dahyun.." she said while her eyes travelled to Sana. I just watched how Sana is so cute while she's teased, her voice was suddenly cut by a whining baby ... I mean Sana.

 

"Mom!" Sana pouted. Her Mom laughed. The older woman did not say anything again until Mr. Minatozaki did,

 

"...so as what my wife is trying to say Sana is .." He stopped meeting the gaze of the furious Sana but he did not mind and continued "..always talking about you Dahyun, from the day she saw you at the first day of her sophomore up to the day yesterday. She literally has nothing but YOU." Sana hid her face at my back. I giggled.

 

"I assumed those stories are good things, Sir?" I firmly replied.

 

"If it isn't Dahyun, you won't have the chance to be spoken by her. She talks about you almost every minute here at this house." Mr. Minatozaki laughed.

 

"So we know that you two have good feelings for each other." It was Sana's mother.

 

"She talks a lot and very expressive person. She talks a lot of a person she is interested with. We get it at the first time she talked about you."

 

[LITTLE FLASHBACK]

 

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, WINTER, 2017 KOREA

 

Sana was a transferree, she's a Japanese so her accent isn't that fluent when she enrolled.

 

"Hi, can I sit here?" 

 

"Yeah."

 

During that time when Sana was being called to answer questions, Dahyun always help her by whispering the answer. Teaching her the correct pronunciation, diction, and spelling. Dahyun maybe not speaking but when its time for Sana seated on the hot seat, Dahyun always come to help.

 

There was one time Sana and her friends got a little bit hang over when they went to school. It was one of their Literature subjects and the teacher noticed the sleepy Sana so she called the attention of the woman to answer her question,

 

"Miss Minatozaki, you seemed so sleepy. How about asking you what makes Edgar Allan Poe one of the best authors to exist?"

 

Carefully recalling what she knows about Edgar Allan, when Dahyun laid her hand for her to glance in an index card full of notes regarding the said author, outlining in her head, Sana answered perfectly.

 

"There are lots of works, Edgar Allan Poe is notable for but one work that created an impact is his short story The Murders in the Rue Morgue. The short story's plot is unpredictable and was the first to introduce the modern detective storywriting. This even gave the author of Sherlock Holmes the inspiration to write the masterpiece too."

 

"Very well said, Ms. Minatozaki. Any more addition before I end the class, Ms. Kim?"

 

"No, Miss. I believed Ms. Minatozaki explained it well."

 

Sana smiled at her seatmate and now her crush. 

 

[PRESENT]

 

"She told us clearly and verbatim about that day, Dahyun." 

 

"I didn't know she ...talks to me that much." I said shyly. Sana did not say those things to me.

 

"She did. Like every chance she got. She has fallen head over heels to you." 

 

I am now sure that my face is burning. I just shrugged the thought and buried myself eating Sana's gimbap. It tasted so good. 

 

"Thank you for the food. It tasted so well." I honestly said.

 

"Well Sana perfected the art of cooking those foods to you. I can still remember how many trials she did before making a good sushi. The gimbap and tteokbokki are her specialities." 

 

"Thank you, babe." I directed my gaze to Sana.

 

Mr. Minatozaki cleared his throat and I just realized what I had said,

 

"Ohh, I..mean. Thank you, Sana."

 

 

I want to bury myself 6ft under.

 

Sana giggled and poke my cheeks.

 

It was Mrs. Minatozaki who cleared this time. 

 

We giggled altogether.

 

"Don't mind about the dishes for now, Dahyun. You need to work on your papers. Next time you'll be here, we'll make a feast and let you wash all of the dishes and utensils." Mr. Minatozaki jokingly remarked.

 

"Sure, Sir. I'll be glad to come back."

 

Sana and I decided to work at the rooftop. We sat on the wooden chair and my laptop is on the wooden table. The cold breeze hits, its kind of cold and luckily I am dressed warmly enough but Sana isn't so I took off my hoodie and gave it to her.

 

She's just staring at my eyes good for a minute now when I gotten enough courage to close the gap between us and lean in for a kiss.

 

Anticipating for our first kiss both Sana and I closed our eyes. 

 

 

It was at this moment 

 

 

when we heard Sana's mother cleared .

 

Sana groaned and squealed "Mom!!" and I hid my face at Sana's back to avoid interrogation from Mrs. Minatozaki.