The Present

Now or Never
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The last end of year music festival was just 2 days ago and IZ*ONE was given some days off. Most of the members used this time to go back to their own homes and be with their families.

 

One of them was Hyewon. In fact, she has been spending most of December 2020 at home. So immediately after the final schedule for 2020, it was no surprise when she asked to be dropped off at her own home.

 

Contrary to what may be seen or observed through broadcasts plus her expertise with expressing an expressionless face, Hyewon does feel a lot. And for some reason on the 2nd day of the new year, her feelings are suddenly spilling over.

 

So when Hyewon woke up at exactly 2:00 PM of January 2, 2021, it suddenly dawned on her—how quickly time has passed by for her as an IZ*ONE member. This truth was never forgotten though. Even the fans would joke about Sakura's seeming tactlessness when talking about IZ*ONE's time as a group. If the fans hated the thought of it, then how much more them, IZ*ONE, when the group that turned into a family, has to disband?

 

Hyewon has suddenly realized that each day of this new year also meant that they're a day closer to the end. She is so overwhelmed by her feelings that she let them take over her decisions for the rest of the day. That is why she is out drinking right now.

 

Before Yena, her same-aged friend and game buddy, it was Yujin who was always there to accompany Hyewon. Thankfully, even though truthfully Yujin would rather spend time with her very cute puppy, Azzo, the dongsaeng conceded to her request to meet up when she was stating her reasons (or the lack of it).

 

One soju bottle down and 2 servings of grilled beef tripe later, Hyewon still hasn't talked. Yujin has eaten her share and was sitting across Hyewon, observing her unnie.

 

"So.. Unnie, wasn't I called here because you needed someone to talk about your feelings?" Yujin is trying to remind Hyewon of the purpose of this meetup.

 

"I don't really know where to start.." Hyewon says while refilling the shot glass with soju.

 

Yujin then watches Hyewon down that glass of soju, "Maybe you should stop drinking for a moment and actually start talking?"

 

Hyewon pauses to try and gather her thoughts. But where does she start? Should she go back to the events of 2018? Or to that moment when they all thought it was already IZ*ONE's end? The grateful news that they were going to continue promoting? Or who? Who were the closest members, aside from Yujin, did she get to know better? There is suddenly this sense of urgency brewing inside of her.. And for what? Or Who? She doesn't really know anymore.. her head is just swimming in a sea of emotions (soju) right now. As she tries to think, she only feels more lost.

 

Hyewon starts (slurs), "You know... I actually feel better right now."

 

"Suddenly?!" Yujin is dumbfounded. This unnie is obviously drunk!

 

"Yeah! Come on.. gimme your phone." Hyewon extends her hand to Yujin.

 

"What? Why?" But Yujin follows her unnie’s words.

 

"We don't have much time left. So.. uhm..." She says while swiping on Yujin's phone, trying to search for an app.

 

Yujin watches Hyewon, but she couldn't predict this drunk unnie's next actions. To be honest, the best thing she could presume is that they'll take photos. After all, this was Kwang-tographer sitting in front of her.

 

However...

 

Hyewon sets Yujin's phone leaning up against the half-empty soju bottle, facing her. She took out her own phone, swipes and taps, then laid it on the table.

 

"Hello, WIZ*ONE~!!!" Hyewon goes on vlive!

 

Yujin realizes what's happening and squeals in panic so Hyewon instantly shushes her, "Ya! Quiet! WIZ*ONEs can't hear me!" And she slaps Yujin's hands as she tries to take her phone back. So Yujin snatched Hyewon's phone instead. Though Hyewon saw that, she didn't care, she finally feels like talking right now.

 

"Happy New Year, everyone~" Hyewon bows slowly while seated and she knocks off the empty soju bottle. It rolls over on the table and the tip of the green bottle appears on the live.

 

Yujin's panic is never seen during the broadcast, but it can be clearly heard in the background. She's whining while trying to clean up the mess.

 

"Unnie, I think we should stop.." Yujin pleads.

 

"Nah..! Don't worry! This is all on me.. Calm down, Yujin!" Hyewon tells her with the widest smile Yujin must have seen for the first time.

 

Yujin reads the comments for Hyewon, "Unnie, they're all laughing and they think you're drunk!" Trying to save both her unnie and the broadcast.

 

Hyewon scoffs and smirks at the camera, "You really think so? Well... Try to guess the brand!" She takes the empty soju bottle with its back facing the camera.

 

Yujin whines and takes the bottle from her, "Unnie!!! Please.. don't do that!"

 

Hyewon laughs with her head turned back, as if she just heard the funniest joke ever. She sees Yujin's distressed expression and tries to explain, "They'll never know! I could've grabbed that from the next table!" And continues laughing.

 

"Okay.. Calm down now, Unnie. Maybe ask them about the holidays." Yujin suggests.

 

"Right... Uhm.. I hope you're having the best holidays ever, everyone. Did everyone spend time with their family?"

 

Yujin voices the comments, "Yes!"

 

"I welcomed the new year with my family. In fact, I missed the members when I was greeting my own family, so I tried to start a video call on IZ*ONE's Kakaotalk group chat."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter