Final

Merry Christmas


He was hungry, he was tired, and his feet hurt, but it had been a productive afternoon. Christmas presents for both his parents and Jooheon’s has been bought, they’d picked up some more fairy lights for the tree because last years lights had refused to turn on and Haeun had chosen some bright pink baubles which would most definitely clash with the decorations currently on the tree but she’d looked up at him with such wide, pleading eyes that he hadn’t been able to say no. She’d also been allowed to pick out some Christmas cards for her nursery class and had literally squealed with excitement when he’d let her add glitter pens to the basket too. She was only four, but she was determined that she was going to write her own name on each and every card and had been practicing hard for the last few weeks.
 
And now their last stop of the day was the bakery. Haeun had spotted the Christmas cupcakes in their window and again Changkyun hadn’t been able to say no to her. And it wasn’t just because she could be ridiculously cute when she wanted something. When she’d pointed them out he had thought about saying no, but he’d developed a real sweet tooth recently and he’d realised that he probably wanted a cupcake more than she did. So they were currently standing in front of the counter trying to make the toughest decision of the day. Santa, Rudolph, snowman or robin? 
 
“We can buy them all.” Haeun told him after a moment or so of thoughtful silence.
 
“We shouldn’t.” Changkyun said with a small shake of his head. “One each is enough.”
 
“That is one each. One for me, one for you, one for Daddy and one for Baby.” Haeun reasoned, pointing out each cupcake as she did so as well as she could with her hands still being encased in her red and white mittens. She was well wrapped up, dressed in her new red winter coat, boots and matching scarf and hat set. With her white woollen tights completing the look she looked a little bit like a candy cane. A cute little chubby cheeked candy cane.
 
But the shop was busy, meaning Changkyun couldn’t spend all day marvelling at just how adorable his daughter was. So putting the thought to one side he bit his lip as he mulled over her proposal. Jooheon wasn’t going to say no if they presented him with a cupcake. And while technically one cupcake for baby meant two cupcakes for him, well he wouldn’t say no to that either. 
 
They looked insanely good. And if they just asked for one of each then the decision making, working out who would get what, could be left until later when they got home. “Okay,” he agreed, nodding decisively . “Good plan Batman. We’ll ask for a box of four.” If they stayed in front of the counter much longer, they were going to start getting in everyone’s way.
 
“Robin.” Haeun said with a sigh. “I’m Robin and Daddy’s Batman.
 
“Good plan Robin.” Changkyun amended, as they joined the queue, ready to order.
 
It was busy but thankfully people seemed to know what they wanted and the line in front of them dissipated fairly quickly. “Four of your Christmas cupcakes.” He answered after being asked what he wanted by the cashier.
 
“One of each?” The cashier clarified and Changkyun nodded.
 
“Oh no, wait!” Haeun interrupted before their order could be put through, her sudden exclamation making Changkyun jump. “We need five! We need one more robin!”
 
“We do?” Changkyun asked, not sure where his daughter was going with this. Four cupcakes between three of them was more than enough already.
 
“Yes, we need a cupcake for Uncle Minhyuk.” Haeun reasoned. “If we go see Daddy we have to bring him one too.”
 
“We’re not going to see Daddy.” Changkyun told her. “We’re going home.”
 
“Yes…” Haeun said slowly, as if she was the one talking to a child. “… but we’re going to see Daddy first.”
 
Knowing that an argument with Haeun could last forever and very aware of the fact that the bakery was busy Changkyun sighed and asked for one more robin cupcake. He’d leave explaining to her that they were going home and not to Jooheon’s office until they were back outside.
 
——— ———
 
 
Changkyun had tried explaining to his daughter that her father would be working and wouldn’t have time to see them but Haeun had refused to give in. She’d started by telling him that ‘Daddy always has time for us’, and it had been a strong start. She’d said the words with such confidence, had so much faith in the fact Jooheon would never refuse to see them that Changkyun’s heart had melted a little. But he’d persisted, tried logic next, reminded Haeun it was late, and they still needed to make dinner. Haeun had reminded him they had ramen in the cupboard and that the baby really liked ramen. Changkyun’s stomach had gurgled in agreement but he’d ignored it. Ramen and cupcakes were not the healthiest meal combination, so no, as much as the baby might like it, they were going to be cooking a proper dinner when they got home. And then Haeun had pulled out the ‘Please Mummy, I really miss him’, complete with trembling lower lip and Changkyun had caved. Told her fine, they could go see Daddy but they wouldn’t be able to stay long.
 
So Changkyun was now standing outside his husband’s workplace, his daughter’s smaller hand encased in his own. “Now remember,” he told her, bending down as far as he was able so he could look her in the eye. “We need to be quiet. People are working, they don’t need us distracting them. And we’re not staying for long.”
 
“Just ten minutes.” Haeun agreed, nodding gravely.
 
“Okay, good.” Changkyun said, straightening up, the hand he was holding their shopping bags in going to the small of his back, unable to help a grimace. He didn’t remember having as much trouble with backache when he’d been pregnant with Haeun but then even at seven months, as he was now, he still hadn’t had much of a bump to show for it. This time around though his bump was difficult to miss, even hidden away as it was under a sweatshirt and a winter coat it was obvious. 
 
“Mummy?” Haeun asked, her own brow furrowing in concern as she spotted the look on his face.
 
“I’m okay, sweetheart.” He told her, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. “My back just hurts a little.”
 
“Why? Did you fall over?”
 
Haeun looked so adorable, her head slightly tilted as she looked up at him with curiosity, that Changkyun found himself smiling despite himself. “No, no I didn’t fall over.” He assured her. “Your baby brother is getting a little heavy, that’s all.”
 
Haeun thought about this for a second and then stuck out her free hand. “If baby is heavy I can carry the bags.” She offered.
 
“Maybe not all of the bags.” Changkyun said, marvelling at how thoughtful that had just been. But then she was Jooheon’s daughter he supposed, it was a trait she’d clearly inherited from her father. “But maybe if you carry the cupcakes that will help.”
 
“I can do that!” Haeun agreed, skipping on the spot in excitement.
 
“Here you go then.” Changkyun said with a smile, handing the bag over. “But you need to be careful. Don’t drop them.”
 
“I won’t.” Haeun promised, expression entirely serious. “I’ll be very super careful.”
 
——— ———
 
And Haeun was very super careful. She kept a tight grip on the bag in her hand and as they entered the foyer and when Changkyun spotted the elevator doors were open she reminded him ‘no running’ before he could even speed up.
 
And when they reached Jooheon’s floor Haeun was so focussed on protecting the box of cupcakes the she was carrying that she almost walked past his office door.
 
“This way sweetheart,” he reminded her, tugging on her hand before she could go too far.
 
“Oh… silly me.” Haeun chirped brightly, coming to a stop. “Can I knock?”
 
“Go ahead.” Changkyun told her, letting go of her hand so she could rap on the door.
 
The noise was muffled by the wool of her mittens and Changkyun was thinking he might have to knock himself when the door swung open.
 
“Uncle Minhyuk!” Haeun squealed, her face lighting up.
 
“Hi baby.” Minhyuk answered with a grin, immediately crouching down to her level. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I’m not a baby.” Haeun told him giving a very grown-up sigh. “Baby is in there.” She added, giving Changkyun’s belly a gentle pat. “And we are here to see Daddy and you and to eat cakes.” She explained, holding out the bag to Minhyuk.
 
“Well, I’m not going to say no to cake.” Minhyuk told her and he took the bag and stepped back, gesturing for them to both come in.
 
Haeun didn’t need telling twice, she ran excitedly into the room, Changkyun following behind at a much more sedate pace and he crossed the threshold just in time to see her shriek “Daddy!”, causing a smiling Jooheon to stand up from behind his desk and come around to meet her. 
 
“What are you doing here?” Jooheon asked, clearly surprised at finding his daughter in his office.
 
“We brought cakes!” Haeun announced happily as Jooheon scooped her up in his arms. “Christmas ones!” She added, throwing her arms around his neck.

"Well, that was really kind of you." Jooheon told her, arms tightening around her as he hugged her back. "But you should have told me you were coming," he added, eyes meeting Changkyun's, "We've just been down to get coffee, we could have picked something for you too."
 
Before Changkyun could even open his mouth to respond, Haeun beat him to it.  “Mummy can’t have coffee!” she exclaimed, horrified at the very suggestion. “It makes him be sick!”


Changkyun had had some real trouble coping with strong smells at the beginning of his pregnancy and as such had barred Jooheon from drinking coffee in the house. It was touching to know Hauen had noticed but the last time any smell had bothered him enough for him to be physically sick had been months ago. “I don’t mind if Daddy and Minhyuk drink it.” Changkyun told her gently. “And it’s okay, we’re not staying.” He assured them. “We need to head home and make dinner.”
 
“You're leaving already?" Jooheon asked, sounding disappointed. "You look exhausted. Why don't you take the weight off your feet? Sit down for five minutes and eat some cake with us."

"I'm really okay..." Changkyun started to say but Haeun interrupted him. 

"Let's give Mummy your chair." She suggested brightly. "He says baby is heavy today and your chair is big and comfy."

Changkyun wanted to protest. As tempting as it was to sit down, Jooheon's chair was indeed big and comfortable and he had the feeling that if he sat in it, he would never want to get back up. But Jooheon had already uttered the words "Good idea Robin," and was wheeling the chair around his desk one handed, Haeun still in his arms. "Here, sit." Jooheon told him and with a sigh Changkyun put his shopping bags on the floor and did as he was told. 

"Okay." he agreed, "We'll stay for five minutes, but that's it. We really do have to go home and make dinner." It wasn't going to make itself and the later they left it the later Haeun's bedtime would end up being too.

"Do you want a hot chocolate or something?" Minhyuk asked. "I can go down and get you one."

Changkyun had almost forgotten he was there, meaning it took a moment for him to process where the question was coming from.

Haeun however, obviously hadn't forgotten Minhyuk because she immediately turned to face him, eyes widening. "I want hot chocolate!" she exclaimed, bouncing in Jooheon's arms. "Can I have some?  With marshmallows and cream and a teeny tiny gingerbread man?"

"Sure." Minhyuk agreed with a smile. "Do you want to come with me and help?"

"Yes! I want to help!" Haeun told him and she started trying to wriggle free of Jooheon's grip. "Daddy!" she protested when he didn't react quickly enough. "Let me down! Uncle Minhyuk needs my help."

"Sorry." Jooheon said, clearly amused. "I'm doing it, I'm letting you down."

And as soon as Haeun’s feet hit the floor she was darting across the room and grabbing Minhyuk’s hand. “Let’s go!”

“Do you want marshmallows and cream too?” Minhyuk asked Changkyun as Haeun started tugging him towards the door.

And Changkyun thought about telling him he hadn’t said he wanted any hot chocolate. But Haeun was so excited and saying no to Minhyuk now would be kind of rude. So he didn’t protest, instead he mustered a smile and and mumbled a “Why not?”

And with that Minhyuk and Haeun were out in the hallway, the door clicking shut behind them.

“You seem tired.” Jooheon observed, as soon as they’d gone, brow furrowing slightly.

“I am,” Changkyun admitted, “But I’m no more tired than usual.” Jooheon looked worried and he didn’t need to be. Spending a whole day with Haeun was tiring enough all by itself, never mind when you also happened to be growing a baby. It was something he did most days though so he was used to it. 

Jooheon didn’t look convinced. “Maybe not, but I can still come home early if you want me too. I can make dinner and put Haeun to bed and you can just relax.”

It was a nice offer and Changkyun sorely wanted to take him up on it, but he knew he shouldn’t. “Really, I’ll be fine. If you come home early then you’ll just have to make the hours back some other day.”

And Jooheon was sighing. “Yeah, yeah it would.” He agreed. “I just wish I could help more. I feel like I haven’t been home properly in ages.”

It felt like that to Changkyun too. Jooheon hadn’t taken a holiday day in months but since the plan was for him to save as many days up as possible so he could take as much time off as possible once the baby arrived Changkyun couldn’t really complain. “You help enough.” He told him, hating seeing him beat himself up about it. “But if you really want to help more you can help me get this coat off. Why on earth is it so warm in here?” He hadn’t noticed before, but now that Haeun was gone and he had time to focus on himself, it felt like he was sitting in a sauna.

"Because it's freezing outside and our employer doesn't want us all to end up with hypothermia?" Jooheon ventured, sounding amused.

"Yeah, well... there's warm and then there's too warm. If I had to sit down in here and do work at a computer I'd be asleep in ten minutes." Changkyun grumbled as he ped his coat.

Still smiling Jooheon moved towards him and gestured for him to give him his arm. "When we sat down to watch that film last night you were asleep on my shoulder within five." He reminded him as helped him pull it free from his sleeve. 

"You would have been too if you'd been up and down as often as I had the night before." Changkyun told him, leaning forward so Jooheon could pull his coat around. "It's hard getting a full night's sleep when there's a baby sitting on your bladder."

"I didn't say it was a bad thing." Jooheon protested, pulling his other sleeve from his arm and depsoiting his coat on the desk behind him. "I thought it was cute. Everytime I tried to move you all you did was mumble at me and snuggle in closer."

"Then you shouldn't have been trying to move me." Changkyun told him. "You should have just let me sleep."

"I wanted to. But I also didn't want you to wake up with backache." Jooheon explained and he crouched down in front of Changkyun, a hand going to rest on his bump. "This one gives you enough trouble as it is. He's getting so big now." He said as he gently rubbed the stretched fabric of Changkyun's Christmas jumper. It was a it of an eye-sore, striped red and green with a blue Christmas bauble print but when Hauen had realised they were going Christmas shopping she'd insisted that Changkyun wear it and Changkyun had taken one look at her happy smiling face and had agreed. 

"Fairly big." Changkyun conceded, eyes going to where Jooheon's hand was still pressed to his belly. "I can't believe he's nearly here. We're going to be a family of four before we know it."

"I think we kind of are already, aren't we?" Jooheon mused, "We talk about him and to him all the time. And do you remember that picture Haeun brought home from nursery the other day? She'd made sure to add her baby brother in as well as me and you."

As Jooheon said the words Changkyun was met with a solid kick to his belly button. It was if baby boy had heard what Jooheon was saying and wanted to back him up. He was letting them know he really was part of the family already by reminding them he was there and Changkyun couldn't help a smile. "Yeah, that was pretty cute." he said as he answered their little boy's kick by lifting Jooheon's hand and moving it to where he would be able to feel it better. "She's so excited about being a big sister. I just hopes she's still excited when he's here, the thought of a baby and an actual baby are two very different things."

"I think she's going to love it." Jooheon said, eyes focussed on Changkyun's belly as their son continued to kick. "If nothing else she'll have bragging rights over Somin. Somin will still be older but Haeun will be a big sister."

Somin was Minhyuk's little girl. She was six months older than Haeun and while the two of them got on really well she was always letting Haeun know it, much to Haeun's annoyance. But now Haeun had one up on Somin, she was going to be a big sister and as she'd told Somin countless times already that was a 'very important job'. "Well she should make the most of that while she can." Changkyun told him. "I'm pretty sure Kihyun and Minhyuk are trying for another baby."

"You think so?" Jooheon asked, looking up at him, eyebrow raised.

"Hmm." Changkyun hummed, wondering how he was ever going to get out of Jooheon's chair now that he was in it. Even if he could manage it he didn't want to, he was far too comfortable. "He asked me to grab his wallet when we were out the other day and I'm sure I spotted folic acid in his bag."

"Minhyuk has been talking a lot about how they miss Somin being little." Jooheon mused. "And I guess seeing you pregnant might have been a push too. You're ridiculously cute you know."

"I'm enormous and constantly uncomfortable." Changkyun ammended. "And I'm dreading going home. I still have dinner to make and een though you'll be home for bedtime Haeun's still going to want me involved too. And she's been a nightmare to get to sleep recently. She's far too excited about Christmas. We should never have gotten her an advent calendar."

"Yeah, she is kind of obsessed with counting it down." Jooheon agreed, smiling fondly. "It's cute but it is a little exhausting I guess. But Christmas will be over soon, she might start sleeping better again then."

"I hope so." Changkyun said with a sigh. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to come home early today?" Jooheon asked, smile fading a little as he took in the tired look on his husband's face. 

"Even if you come home early she's not going to sleep any better." Changkyun reasoned. "And like I said, you'll just have to work the hours back meaning you'll be home later than usual another day. It's fine. I'll be okay. And it's Saturday tomorrow, isn't it? You can maybe take her out for a bit tomorrow and I can take a nap then."

"I guess." Jooheon conceded. "I wish I could help more though."

"You help more than enough." Changkyun assured him. "But if you really want to help some more you can get me a glass of water? I don't know who's in charge of heating this building but they've got it feeling like the Sahara in here."

And smile back Jooheon was hopping to his feet and heading for the door. 

______ ______

By the time Minhyuk and Haeun returned, Changkyun had his water and Jooheon had pulled up a chair so he could sit beside him.

"Hey sweetheart." Changkyun said as Haeun bounded into the room, Minhyuk following, a cup of of hot chocolate in each hand. "Did you behave for Uncle Minhyuk?"

"Yes!" Haeun chirped, coming over to stand beside his chair. "And I got pink marshmallows!"

"That's nice." Changkyun told her as he put his water down and accepted the cup Minhyuk was holding out to him. "Now why don't you go and sit with Daddy? That way you won't spill anything. Then when we're done we can done we can head home and start on dinner."

"I know dinner was the plan..." Minhyuk said, as Haeun did as she was told and made her way over to Jooheon. "... but I was thinking that maybe a better plan would be for you to take Haeun home and pack her an overnight bag. I talked to Kihyun and we thought it would be nice for the girls to have a sleepover, so if you call him when you get back he'll come over and pick her up. Then we'll drop her back tomorrow evening. That way you and Jooheon can spend some together before the baby arrives and Somin will stop pestering us about when she can next see Haeun."

"You don't have to do that..." Changkyun said but Minhyuk was immediately waving the protest away.

"I know we don't have to, we want to." He told him. "Somin loves having Haeun over, and she's really no bother. And it's not like you've never done the same for us. You had Somin for a whole weekend when we went away for our anniversary."

Changkyun was about to protest some more, that had been planned and this was such short notice but Jooheon spoke up before he could.

"You really don't mind?" He asked as he took the second cup of hot chocolate from Minhyuk and passed it to their daughter who was now sitting on his knee.

"We really don't." Minhyuk insisted. "It'll be fun."

"Haeun does love spending time with Somin..." Jooheon said slowly, coming around to the idea, "... do you want to sleep over at Somin's house sweetheart?"

"Yes!" Haeun told him firmly. "We're going to eat pizza and watch Frozen."

"Well if she's happy to go..." Jooheon said, turning his attention back to Changkyun, "... and Kihyun and Minhyuk are happy to have her, then I don't see a problem. Do you?"

"No, no I suppose not." Changkyun agreed, "If you're sure it's okay then I'll pack her a bag and call Kihyun." 

"Good." Minhyuk said, satisfied. "Now let's have a look at these cupcakes..."

"The robins are for me and you!" Haeun exclaimed before he could even open the box, Jooheon having to grab her hot chocolate and steady it as she tried to jump up from his knee. "Because Daddy is Batman and we're his friends." She explained, as Jooheon placed her hot chocolate on his desk and he helped her down onto the floor.

"Okay, got it," Minhyuk said, fighting a smile and trying to keep his expression serious. "And what about this one?" He asked, holding up the Santa cupcake.

"That's for Daddy." Haeun told him, trotting over to take it from him. "Because he likes red."

"I do." Jooheon agreed, smiling at Haeun as she handed it over. "Thanks Robin."

"You're welcome." Haeun said solemnly, making Changkyun wonder not for the first time that day, how she could be so adorable.

"And this one?" Minhyuk asked her.

"That's for my baby brother." Haeun said, taking the Rudolph cupcake from him and handing it to Changkyun. "Because reindeers are cute and he's cute too."

"Thank you." Changkyun murmured but Haeun wasn't listening, she was already turning back to Minhyuk, her hand outstretched for the last cupcake.

"And this one is for Mummy." She said as she took it from him. "Because Mummy is big and round like a snowman."

"Thank you..." Changkyun said again, reddening slightly and trying to ignore the snort of amusement that had come from Minhyuk.

"Mummy's warmer and cuddlier than a snowman though, isn't he?" Jooheon joined in, making Changkyun's face burn hotter. 

"Yes!" Haeun exclaimed, skipping over to Changkyun and holding her arms out. "He's very cuddly."

"That's nice of you to say so." Changkyun told her, helping her scramble up into his lap. There wasn't much room for her, not with her baby brother to contend with, but Haeun managed to find a space for herself and threw her arms around his middle, pressing her face agaisnt his bump.

"I love you." She informed him, words muffled since she was snuggled in as close to him as it was possible for her to be.

"I love you too." Changkyun assured her, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. He hadn't particularly appreciated being called big and round but he'd take cuddly any day of the week. "Now why don't you go and finish your cake and hot chocolate and we can go and get your things ready so you can visit Somin?" If she stayed snuggled up to him like that then he really was going to fall asleep and if he fell asleep in Jooheon's office in front of Minhyuk then he knew he'd never live it down.

_______ ________

It was approaching nine pm and Changkyun was once again warm and comfortable and at risk of falling asleep. And once again this was being exacerbated by the fact he had someone snuggled up beside him. Only this time it was Jooheon who was cuddled into his side. After Kihyun had picked up Haeun, Changkyun had put away the shopping and gotten changed into his favourite pyjamas then he'd gone downstairs to watch tv while he waited for Jooheon. Jooheon had told him not to worry about dinner and had promised to bring Chinese food home with him and he'd delivered on that promise. They'd both eaten until they couldn't eat anymore and then they'd headed for couch, the plan being to finish watching the film Changkyun had fallen asleep five minutes into the other day.

But Changkyun didn't think they were going to have any more luck getting to the end than they had last time. They were ten minutes in now, which was an improvement he supposed, but back starting to ache, Changkyun had set himself up a pile of cushions in the corner and settled himself against those, and Jooheon, saying he wanted to be close to the baby had wedged himself between Chnagkyun and the back of the couch, then he'd thrown an arm around Changkyun's middle and rested his head on his chest. 

So Changkyun was currently running a hand through Jooheon's hair, his eyelids getting heavy. Baby boy was moving and Jooheon was rubbing circles over the spot where he was kicking but he didn't think even that would be enough to keep him awake. "I love you." he murmured, doing his best to stifle a yawn. 

"I love you too." Jooheon replied, dropping a kiss onto the swell of his belly.

"But as much as I love you, you might have to watch the rest of this on your own." Changkyun warned him, hand still tangled in his hair. 

"If you need to sleep then sleep." Jooheon said and Changkyun could hear the smile in his voice even if he couldn't see his face. "I'll let you this time."

"You'd better." Changkyun told him, unable to help a frown. He was perfectly comfortable where he was, if he dropped off and Jooheon was cruel enough to wake him up he'd probably cry.

"I will, I promise." Jooheon assured him. "To be honest, I'll probably be asleep before you are. It's been a long day."

And satisfied that Jooheon meant it and he really wasn't going to force him to move if he did fall asleep Changkyun hummed his approval and let his eyes drift closed. It was rare that they got to curl up on the couch together like this without worrying that one of them would have to get up and deal with Haeun and he was going to make the most of getting the chance to do so.