I love you always

If this is a dream, let's not wake up ever.

Awaken by the sun peeping through her curtains and hitting her glorious face, this pale girl only hopes for a beautiful and productive day ahead. She’s still getting used to not being in the spotlight. Without those hectic schedules, she tries to memorize every week, without those managers constantly contacting her for a new project and schedule, and without her former chaotic dorm mates whom she adored and shared a close bond.

It’s been years yet she still can’t get used to everything. This new daily routine always feels new. The pale woman sighs before she decided to get up from her bed and do some stretching.

 

“Good Morning to me,” She smiles at her reflection in the mirror.

 

She could hear her echo across her luxurious and massive house. She sighs once again. Disappointed that the only reply she gets was from her echo. She walks out of her room and went straight to the kitchen to grab a mug for her hot chocolate.

 

“They were always so noisy. It’s their fault why I’m never going to get used to this silence,” She said as she smiles at the hot chocolate that she’s currently stirring.

 

She walks to her slowly to her window and views the sight outside like she always does.

 

“It’s fall already? Wow. Time sure really do run fast,” She let out a giggle and let out a deep sigh once again before taking a sip from her mug.

 

“I wonder how they are doing...” She looks down at her hot chocolate once again and continues.

 

“I wonder how she’s doing,”

 

And as if on cue, someone rang her doorbell… aggressively.

 

Dahyun wonders who it is. She rarely gets visits at this hour.

 

She immediately settles her hot chocolate on the countertop table and goes to see who this disturbance sudden visitor is.

She checks her monitor beside her door to check who it is before letting the person in.

 

She smiles at the monitor right after seeing the person immediately. A warm feeling in her heart.

 

“Finally, a familiar sight,” She said as she opened the door.

 

“What are you doing here?” She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at the visitor.

 

“Oh come on now, unnie. I know you miss me,” The woman in front gave her a smug look.

 

Dahyun could only chuckle and shake her head. She’s not denying it because it’s true. She missed her best friend.

 

“Come on in, Chaeyoung.” She said.

-

 

“So, what favor are you going to ask me now?” Dahyun said as she grabbed her hot chocolate once again and signaled Chaeyoung to sit.

“What do you think of me? I’m not that kind of friend, unnie” Chaeyoung whined as if being accused of something she’s not.

 

Dahyun only chuckled. Just like the old times.

 

Both took their sits near the glass panel to catch the best view of the scenery outside.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry I haven’t been in contact with you for a while, unnie. I’ve just been very busy these days. But, you know I always have you guys in my mind,” Chaeyoung said calmly and smiled, also looking at the scenery outside.

 

“I have two reasons why I came here,” Chaeyoung continue while Dahyun just nodded at the latter signaling her to proceed.

 

“First, it’s fall already. I know you get sentimental at times like these,” Chaeyoung said teasingly while cheekily giggling and covering .

 

Dahyun could only roll her eyes at the sight.

 

“So I came here to see you,” Chaeyoung continues.

 

“The second reason?” Dahyun while putting her hot chocolate back on the center table in front of them.

 

“Tzuyu contacted me. You see, it’s going to be our anniversary Twice soon. She was wondering if we could get together again. You know… just like the old times,” Chaeyoung said while carefully reading Dahyun’s reaction to this, silently hoping she’d agree.

 

“Are… the other members busy? Will they be able to attend?” Dahyun asked calmly while averting her eye contact away from her best friend.

 

“Oh, they are already in. They even cleared their schedules,” Chaeyoung chuckles again as she remembers Nayeon making lies excuses to her managers on why she can’t be present on October 20 but still got caught by her manager. Her manager eventually lets her.

 

“Is she going to be there?” Dahyun asked hesitantly. She didn’t want to come off as obviously still longing for her. Because she’s not. Right? She just miss the old times. She’s not longing for a certain someone. She missed everyone and it's normal…. right?

 

Chaeyoung smiled seeing her friend so tense.

 

“She is. Is that okay?” Chaeyoung looked at her worriedly and gave her a comforting smile.

 

Dahyun was finally able to breathe again.

 

“O-Of course it’s fine. She’s a member too, right? Why wouldn’t she be there?”  Dahyun said and tried to laugh it off trying to convince her friend that she’s really fine.

Chaeyoung only eyed her best friend. Dahyun got tensed by this.

 

It took a few seconds before someone talked again.

 

“You know you guys should talk, right? It’s been years” Chaeyoung said with a concerned look on her face.

 

Dahyun sighed and looked down. “I know. But…”

 

“Stop running away, Dahyun,” Chaeyoung said firmly which made Dahyun look at her.

 

She saw how serious Chaeyoung was. Dahyun couldn’t be prouder seeing her friend that she treated as a younger sister be this mature already. Possibly, even more, mature than her.

 

“I get what you’re trying to say, Chaeyoung. I’m not going to run away. It’s just that what if she doesn’t want to talk to me? It took me so long you know. I might be late,” Dahyun said and looked down again.

 

Dahyun only felt someone moving beside her.  It was Chaeyoung.  Chaeyoung tapped her shoulder.

 

“Wouldn’t it be better if you find answers to your questions yourself? Try it, unnie. I know she’ll listen,” Chaeyoung smiled at her. Dahyun smiled too. She’s glad she has her best friend with her. Chaeyoung always knows what to say to her in times like these.

 

Dahyun nodded her head, asserting that she’ll come.

 

“I’ll try my best. Wish me luck!” Dahyun smiled brightly at her friend and her friendly does it to her as well.

 

Chaeyoung moved slightly farther from her again and lied her back on the sofa and stared at the ceiling.

 

Dahyun was just observing thinking about what her friend is thinking now.

“This house…” Chaeyoung started.

 

Dahyun tilted her head, asking her to proceed.

 

“You two brought it, right?” Chaeyoung looked at Dahyun once again. She saw how Dahyun’s happy face suddenly drifted into loneliness.

 

Chaeyoung panicked. It wasn’t her intention to hurt her friend. “No. I-I’m sorry. I was just wonde---“

 

“Yes,” Dahyun cut Chaeyoung.

 

“We were supposed to live here. Great choice, right? Great scenery. Spacious lot. Nice neighborhood. She always had a good taste,” Dahyun chuckled.

 

Chaeyoung smiled. “You’re still madly in love with her, huh?”

 

“I am. I always have,” Dahyun smiled at Chaeyoung warmly.

 

“I wonder if she does too,” Dahyun added as she took the last sip of her hot chocolate. It tasted bitter.

 

--

 

 

 

 

October 20, d-day.

 

“I’m sorry Sana. I can’t do this anymore.” Dahyun held her face close with tears streaming down from both of their faces.

Sana held Dahyun’s hand. Feeling it, memorizing it. Memorizing the feeling and emotions that Dahyun’s touch brings her. Sana closed her eyes while she as well continued weeping.

“Shh Please don’t cry. I’m very sorry. I love you so much. I could never love anyone the way I love you,” Dahyun said as she comforts the woman in front of her. Stopping her tears while wiping the tears off her other half.

“Please…Don’t let me go,” Both of Sana’s hands held both Dahyun’s hands on her face tighter.

 

Dahyun smiled at her lovingly. “I have to… for now. I’ll come back for you. I love you.”

 

“I’ll wait, Dahyun. I’ll wait.” Sana said. Finally letting go of Dahyun’s hands.

 

Dahyun woke up with tears flowing nonstop. Her heart clenching. It was a dream. But it wasn’t just a simple dream. It was a memory. A memory of how they let go. A memory of how their new lives started, this time, without each other by their sides.

 

Dahyun held her heart. It was aching. Still longing, still regretting. She stood up to grab a glass of water.

 

“Why did I dream of that?” Dahyun sighed while thinking very deeply. It was in her personality to think like everything is sent by the universe and that everything is a sign.

She almost spaced out when her phone rang. She dashed from her kitchen to the living room where she would find her loudly ringing phone.

 

“WAKE UP SLEEPYHEAD!” Chaeyoung was seen and heard in a video call shouting. Dahyun hissed.

 

“Dahyun unnie! You ready for later?” It was Tzuyu beside Chaeyoung.

 

“Hi, Tzuyu! Good morning. I just woke up. I’ll prepare after breakfast,” Dahyun chuckled.

 

“NO GOOD MORNING TO ME?” Chaeyoung shouted once again.

 

“Sheez Chaeyoung. Can’t you chill?” Tzuyu smacked her friend beside her.

Dahyun laughed at this scene. “Hello Good morning to you too Chaeyoung. And please stop shouting.” Dahyun said.

 

“I just want to wake you guys up. You both sound and looks so lazy right now,” Chaeyoung laughed which only got a glare from Tzuyu and rolling eyes from Dahyun.

 

“Why is tzuyu there though?” Dahyun asked.

 

“Oh, I took a vacation in Taiwan and visited an art museum there. She came back to Korea with me and her cheap don’t want to pay for a Hotel so she stayed here,” Chaeyoung teased.

 

“You know I could buy a whole hotel right?” Tzuyu asked bluntly. It’s not a brag. It’s an inside joke they’ve been using for years and Tzuyu managed to use it as a defense.

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung chuckled. “I was just kidding. I asked her to stay in our place so it’ll be more convenient for her. After all, she made me stay on her mansion in Taiwan,” Chaeyoung continued.

 

“Anyway, are you ready for later, unnie?” Chaeyoung’s tone suddenly shifted. There’s a hint of worry. Everybody almost forgot the playful Chaeyoung earlier.

 

“Of course. I’ll get started in a minute,” Dahyun smiled and start getting her mug again for her hot chocolate.

 

“That’s not what I’m talking about and you know that,” Chaeyoung said. And Dahyun stopped everything she was doing and sat down.

 

“Chaeyoung—“ Tzuyu wanted to stop Chaeyoung because she didn’t want to ruin Dahyun’s day early in the morning.

 

“It is fine, Tzu,” Dahyun said and smiled.

 

“I honestly don’t know,” Dahyun continued and the two only listened.

 

“I dreamt of her last night you know. I dreamt of a hurtful memory,” Dahyun looked elsewhere.

 

The other two stayed silent on the other end of the screen and just listened and not knowing what exactly is to say.

Dahyun noticed this so she took a breath and continued, “Nonetheless, I think I have no other choice but to come. Whatever happens, will happen and I hope it’s all good.” Dahyun said and smiled cheerfully.

 

“We got you always dubs,” The two said and Dahyun smiled.

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

Dahyun knows it. She was also at fault. The separation went well for more than a year. They had their plan. It was all fine knowing that they are both patiently waiting for each other to be back together.

 

If only I didn’t take that project

This was the regret that Dahyun keeps on reminding herself.

 

It’s a thought that makes her stomach and heart clench. It’s a thought that makes it clear that she was mostly at fault. She hates it. She despises that thought. But, no one could take the truth away from it.

 

Again, she was at fault. So, this is normal.

 

Sana, the only woman she ever loved, ignoring her (which might be on purpose) is normal.

Dahyun sat quietly at the corner while Nayeon tells everything about how she’s been the past years and how she’s been handling being the matriarch of a household.

Dahyun gave light smiles and chuckles and maybe even loud laughter to Nayeon’s antics.

She observes the girls at the table. Everyone is still so beautiful, but of course, she had to be biased about Sana.

 

She looks so beautiful. She hasn’t changed a bit. Dahyun referred to the woman in front of her, Sana, who is also, laughing her heart out at the playful stories Nayeon and Jeongyeon is giving to the group.

 

She’s ignoring me of course. Dahyun thought. The woman has never spoken to her or even looked at her for even a second. This is understandable. Dahyun understands.

 

But what she doesn’t understand is the ring on the girl’s finger, specifically, the ring finger.

 

Is she engaged? Is she married? Is that an engagement ring or are my eyes fooling me?

 

 

Nonstop questions run into Dahyun’s head and as the questions grew, her heart ached faster.

The regret grows bigger. The pain and longing grow stronger.

 

“Dahyun, you okay? You seem to be in very deep thought,” Jihyo, who was beside Sana, asked.

 

This caught the attention of people beside them. Chaeyoung and Tzuyu looked quickly to check. And for the first time after hours of being in the same room, Sana looked at her too, seemingly waiting for a response as well.

 

Dahyun took a second to look back at Sana, then turned her eyes towards Jihyo as her heart beats faster and panics.

 

“U-uh Yeah. Of Course,” Dahyun smiled albeit nervous.

 

Dahyun looked at Sana again if this was still looking at her but to her misfortune, Sana was not and was already listening to the next storyteller of the night, Mina.

 

“Momo, Sana, and I have recently been together,” Mina says and caught Dahyun’s attention at the mention of her past lover.

 

“UNFAIR!” Nayeon gasped.

 

Mina would only giggle at this. “We had a project together. Sana was an MC on a survival show which I and Momo judged” Mina explained.

 

Sana as MC. Dahyun remembers how much she loved hearing her ex-lover’s voice in her local language. A reason why she tried her best to learn Japanese, was because she wants to converse with her in Japanese.

 

Dahyun was almost going to be caught up in her deep thoughts again when Sana’s phone rang.

 

“Excuse me for a second,” Sana said to the crowd and the other signaled her to go on so Sana moved away from the group a bit for her privacy.

 

Dahyun can still hear her though.

 

“Baby is sleeping? Take care of her for a while. Okay. Thanks! Love you,” Sana said on her phone. And Dahyun heard it.

 

At this point, she wants to leave.

 

She can’t take everything in.

 

Sana ignoring her, Sana having a family of her own.

 

Sana had really moved on. While here I am, grieving about the bad decisions I made. I suffered. I am still suffering.  She thought. Tears almost falling out.

 

” Hey,” Chaeyoung nudged her. This distracts Dahyun from her thoughts a bit.

 

Dahyun only looked at her with an obviously exhausted face which looks like she’s about cry.

 

“You’re ignoring her,” Chaeyoung said which slightly took Dahyun aback because for what she knows it was Sana who’s ignoring her.

 

“No, she’s ignoring me,” Dahyun whispered.

 

Chaeyoung chuckled at her friend. “Have you seen how she looked tonight?”

 

“Yeah, absolutely beautiful. And?” Dahyun said.

 

“You haven’t been paying attention, Dubs. I feel like she wants to talk to you. She’s been looking at you when you’re not looking at her, ,” Chaeyoung said which Dahyun couldn’t really believe.

 

“You’re kidding me. I look at her like ninety percent of the time and she’s not looking,” Dahyun said.

 

“Well, she looks at you on that ten percent that you’re not looking,” Chaeyoung said.

 

“Don’t get my hopes up. She has a family. Didn’t you hear her on the phone,” Dahyun’s heart sunk.

 

“Uh, no? I didn’t hear what she said on the phone because I don’t pry at other people’s business which, ironically, I’m doing to you. After all, you’re a if I don’t pry on your business. Anyways, ask her about it. Confirm before you conclude. My God,” Dahyun rolled her eyes because Chaeyoung makes sense as usual.

 

Just on time after their mini debacle, Sana arrived back at their table.

 

“What are you two talking about?” Jeongyeon asked.

 

“Uh um, nothing,” Dahyun laughs nervously. Now, she can see Sana looking at her again.

 

“We were just talking about how fun the pool will be tonight. I already reserved it for us, so no turning back,” Chaeyoung calmly said and leaned back while crossing her arms

“Oh cool! Of course, we’re in! I’ll just call my assistant to maybe bring me clothes” Nayeon said excitedly said.

 

“Oh, no need. We brought extra clothes. Momo, Mina, and I are staying here and we kind of brought LOTS of clothes. We’ll be here till next week I guess, right?” Sana said. Dahyun, obviously paying so much attention, nodded.

 

“You’re not the one asked Dahyun. She’s asking Momo and Mina,” Jeongyeon teased.

 

Everyone laughed and now Dahyun is red as a tomato. But seeing Sana laugh because of her again is worth it.

 

“I just nodded!” Dahyun defended herself.

 

“Nodded with a lovesick look, yes.” Momo too.

 

Sana hit Momo’s arms lightly and laughed a little while everybody was laughing.

 

Weird. Very Odd.

 

--

 

 

 

 

 

After a few hours, they decided to get their swimwear and headed straight to the pool.

Nayeon dragged Jeongyeon who seemed annoyed at first but is evidently having fun after a few seconds. Later, you could see the two splashing Jihyo with all the water they can get and Jihyo, trying so hard to run away and avoid getting all wet. Furious Jihyo decided to jump into the pool and get her revenge on Nayeon and Jeongyeon. Chaeyoung, Tzuyu, and Mina could be seen laughing at the silly antics of the older members. Momo, on the other hand, who has finished ordering her “poolside food” got a glimpse of Chaeyung Tzuyu and Mina just laughing on the corner so she then decides to attack them with a big, floppy canon ball. Shocked the three victims but later (like Jihyo) decides to attack Momo with splashes.

All of these are seen by two people. On the bench by the poolside, on their bathrobes. Observing them lovingly, and laughing at how silly and fun these people who they consider as family.

 

“They haven’t changed a bit. I’m relieved” Sana suddenly talked which shocked Dahyun.

“U-uH yeah. I- I miss this. Just like the old times,” Dahyun who obviously stuttered wanted to punch herself for seeming so anxious.

Sana just chuckled in response.

 

A few moments of silence.

 

“Is it just me or you’ve been ignoring me since I got here?” Sana spoke while staring at a distance, looking at the others in the pool.

Dahyun feels like her heart wants to escape her chest and run.

 

“N-no. I-I just don’t know how to approach you I guess,” Dahyun stuttering while touching the back of your neck

 

“Oh. You’re touching your nape. Are you uncomfortable that I’m here? Sorry,” Sana said, and finally, their eyes met.

 

Dahyun couldn’t believe Sana could still remember these small details about her.

She looked at her and she could see sorrow and longing in Sana’s eyes, and she’s pretty sure it’s what her own eyes want to tell Sana as well.

 

“Oh no no no. I was really looking forward to seeing you again. I was very excited. Well, maybe moderately. You know in a good way. I’m not uncomfortable. I’m very comfortable. I mean, I  mean,” Dahyun sighed. She’s blabbering nonsense and now she looks like a fool.

 

Sana only giggled shyly.

 

Dahyun took a deep breath for the next words she’s been itching to say.

 

“The truth is… I miss you,” Dahyun said looking down.

 

Sana was then quiet on the other end.

 

What am I saying? She might have moved on and I’m just ruining her peace! Dahyun thought.

 

Dahyun stood up, maybe to run away, maybe to give Sana space. She doesn’t want to hurt Sana anymore and realizing that being close to Sana is what hurts the woman she loves the most, she thinks it’s best not to be close. She decided that maybe it’s time to close the door between them.

 

But right when Dahyun made her first step.

 

“I miss you too,” Sana said briefly but Dahyun heard it.

 

Dahyun just stood there. Looking at Sana. Sana looked at her as well then looked away.

 

“Please stay here for a while,” Sana then continued.

 

Dahyun obliged. She couldn’t complain when it’s Sana.

 

Silence devoured them. After a few minutes, Sana sighed.

 

“Where did we ever go wrong?” Sana said. Not looking at Dahyun but looking at the stars above them

Dahyun looked at Sana. She saw Sana looking at the stars. Somehow it brings back memories of how they both loved stargazing. Only this time, Sana's eyes that used to twinkle like the stars they look at were pitch black and dark.

“The part when we were scared,”

 

Both of them sat there once again with silence. A comfortable but fragile one.

 

A few minutes later, the food Momo ordered has finally arrived and the girls got out of the pool to enjoy some pizza. Momo wanted to call Sana and Dahyun but Chaeyoung knowing the situation, stopped Momo and the other girls from doing so.

 

“Let’s leave them alone for a while. Let’s mind our own business and let them reconcile or even just talk whatever it is they need to talk about,” Chaeyoung said and the other girls agreed with no hesitation.

 

On Dahyun’s end, the world was silent.

On Sana’s end, the time stood still.

 

“I’m sorry,” Both of them said to break the silence.

 

“I’m the one who’s sorry Sana. You were never at fault. If I only didn’t take that project—“

 

“Shh. Don’t blame it all on yourself. We wouldn’t be apart if I hadn’t given up easily,”

 

“No, Sana, No” Dahyun let her tears flow freely.

 

Sana wanted to embrace Dahyun in her arms. While her tears are also on the same pace as Dahyun’s

 

“We were perfect. YOU were and still are perfect. I messed up. I messed up, Sana,” Dahyun paused and looked at Sana

 

“I messed up and I’m sorry,” Eyes glistening, probably from the tears. Sana saw the eagerness but remained silent.

 

“Why only now? Where were you the past years, Dahyun? I wanted to at least how you’re doing. But suddenly you disappeared,” Sana looked away staring in a distance.

 

“I know. I should’ve reached out. But I thought you needed space. I thought I needed time to think too. Unfortunately, it took too long. And when I realized it, it was already too late. I was so ashamed for not realizing things sooner. I should’ve talked to you back then about what was going on. I waited not knowing I should’ve fought for us,” Dahyun said.

 

“Yeah, I tried reaching out. You shut me out. I didn’t really know what to do. I had a lot of questions,” Sana almost hissed from the pain of remembering those days.

 

“I know it’s too late. But I still want to explain,”

 

“There is no excuse really, I was lost and I made mistakes. Before the project, it seemed that everything’s been planned out by the PR. Eunwoo and I will work on a drama, then we’ll be involved in some dating rumor. That was everything that I know. That time also I was consulting a psychiatrist and I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to worry or blame yourself,“

“Why would I blame myself?”

“I decided to go counseling because I had difficulty coping up with the anxiety. All of the pressure as a celebrity. The pressure of the media finding out about us always haunted me as well. I always thought we’ll both get hurt. My doctor pointed out that’s why I have been pushing you away,”

“Dahyun I—“ Sana was about to say something but she was cut

“No, Sana. As I said, you have nothing to do with it. It was an illness. It happens and no one needs to be blamed. I guess I love you too much then,” Dahyun put her right hand around her nape against, flustered by her sudden confession. She continued explaining to divert the topic

“After that, a domino of things happened. I kept pushing you away. You keep getting hurt. We keep fighting. The rumors about Eunwoo and I weren’t also helping. We both get hurt more. That was when I decided to end things with you. I know that was abrupt and I felt like I had to. I didn’t give you any reason because as you know I was bad at communicating. But breaking up with you didn’t mean I stopped loving you. I wanted to heal before returning to you so you wouldn’t be hurt by me. But, on the last day of filming the drama, all the staff went out for a drink. Both Eunwoo and I were drunk. I can assure you nothing happened between us. Then you found both of us there in my condo. I found out you visited my condo and figured you saw Eunwoo and me.  I was devastated. All along I’ve been trying to avoid hurting you but you still got hurt in a beat. I wanted to go to you but my manager called saying an article was about to be published about you and me,”

 

“A dating article. I had a panic attack. Eunwoo brought me to the hospital. That was probably the last straw. And with the turn of events, the day an article about us should’ve been published was replaced by an article about me and Eunwoo,” Dahyun sighed.

 

“The next day, you went to Japan. In later years, I would find out through Chaeyoung that you only went to Japan because a family emergency happened. I thought you left me and needed space and I thought it was right to give you one,”

 

“Oh, Dahyun,” Sana said looking at Dahyun with eyes that cannot be read.

 

Unexpectedly, she hugged Dahyun again tightly.

 

Dahyun felt happy and free. She was finally able to tell Sana these things. Aside from that, she missed this hug. Hug that frees her from everything.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t know,”

 

“No, It’s—“

 

“Don’t take all the blame, Dahyun-ah. I had made my own share of mistakes too. Maybe I should’ve put extra effort into verifying things. I should’ve communicated with you better. I only thought you despised me that’s why you were pushing me away. It wasn’t all about me. I realized this as I grew older,” Sana said as she let go of the tight hug.

 

At this point, Dahyun could see a few tears in Sana’s eyes that seemed to want to hide but the moon’s light reflects on it.

 

“Finally, after all these years. This was all I needed, Dahyun. Thank You.” Sana smiled in content and inhaled deeply.

 

 

“I’m sorry it took too long,” Dahyun said once again scratched the back of her neck.

 

“You apologize too much,” Sana joked a little while playfully pushing Dahyun a little. Dahyun chuckled in response.

 

“I forgave you a long long time ago,” Sana said and smiled making eye contact with dahyun.

 

Dahyun almost choked from trying to stop her tears (this time, of joy).

 

“Thank you, Sana,” Dahyun smiled at herself instead.

__

 

 

“How’s the family?” Dahyun was afraid to open that one up but she did anyway.

 

“Family? Good. Mom and Dad are healthy,”

 

“Good. Tell them I say hi?” Dahyun was kind of hesitating. She was close with Sana’s parents and they loved her dearly. However, after all that happened, she wonders if that changes too.

 

Sana giggles a little from the hesitation in Dahyun’s voice. “Sure. You should come to visit them. I bet they missed you,”

 

Again, this surprised Dahyun. But her heart was happy.

 

“w-well if you’re not busy of course. J-just whenever you feel like it,” Sana stuttered and Dahyun wonders why.

 

Little did she know Sana was panicking because of how casually she said that to Dahyun. Sana almost forgot that their situation is different from years ago.

 

“I’d love to,” Dahyun said which eventually calmed Sana.

 

“And the baby?” Dahyun asked another risky one.

 

“Baby?” Sana asked curiously. “What baby?” She repeats.

 

 

“I apologize for eavesdropping earlier. I heard you were talking about a baby sleeping. I kind of assumed you had a baby,” Dahyun getting uncomfortable for asking such a question and for assuming things without asking first scratched the back of her neck.

 

To her surprise, Sana’s only response was a hearty laugh.

 

“Oh my god, Dahyun. Please I can’t stop laughing,” Sana said.

 

Dahyun would get embarrassed but the sound of Sana’s hearty laugh makes Dahyun feel pure joy instead.

 

“The baby… I was talking about. The baby I was talking about was a dog!” Sana barely finished the sentence from laughing too hard.

 

“Oh, sorry,” Dahyun laughed whilst still admiring the view of Sana.

 

“I guess some things never change. You’re quick to assume things,” Sana said starting to stop her laughter while wiping away the tears from laughing too much.

 

“I guess you assumed I was married too, right?” Sana said.

 

Dahyun only looked at Sana.

 

“I knew it! Oh my god,” Sana started laughing again.

 

Dahyun laugh along with Sana this time. She was stupid for assuming things quickly but she feels great for making Sana laugh like this again.

 

“I should’ve removed the ring! I should’ve listened to Momo. Oh, Dahyun,” Sana laughed while patting Dahyun’s back.

 

“So, this means you’re not married yet?” Dahyun asked.

 

“Nope. I am already committed though. How about you?” Sana asked.

Committed? Dahyun almost forgot to answer Sana’s question because her mind drifted off to Sana already being committed to anyone.

 

“Ah n-no. Not yet married,” Fortunately Dahyun was able to answer. She showed her hands w/ no rings to Sana.

“Sorry, I assumed things earlier,” Dahyun added

“There you go again with your apologies. It’s fine you know. If you’re not assuming we wouldn’t have been together before right?”

 

Dahyun’s heart somersaulted. Sana remembered things well. Just like her.

 

“Aren’t you going to ask me why I have a ring on my hand?” Sana asked looking at the ring.

 

“W-why do you have that ring?” Dahyun hesitantly but willingly asked.

 

“It’s my mom’s. She gave it to me and I told myself this is the one I’ll give to the one I want to marry. For many years, I kept this ring. I’d wear this ring to tell people I’m already taken. To tell them I’m already committed,” Sana said smiling while looking at the shiny but vintage ring.

“W-who’s this person? How lucky can they be?” Dahyun said leaning back to look at the stars again.

 

After a few seconds of silence, she heard one word that would change her life.

 

“You,” Sana said.

 

Dahyun immediately looked at Sana. Trying to see if she heard it right.

 

She saw Sana’s loving eyes directly looking at her with a few tears starting to flow.

 

“I told you I’ll wait right?” Sana said smiling while tears are continuously flowing from her eyes.

 

Dahyun immediately cried too. She reached two things in her pocket.

 

First is a handkerchief for Sana’s tears. She wiped them away.

 

The second is a small box.

 

“What a coincidence?” Dahyun opened the small box for Sana chuckling a little. Sana in shock had more tears in her eyes and she covered

“I brought this years ago as well,”

“I initially thought I was dumb for impulsively purchasing a ring that I might not even use or give to anyone. I didn’t even know if you’ll ever talk to me again. This one stayed in my closet. I had the feeling that I had to. I felt attached to it for some reason. To be honest, this ring became my strength. Remembering you with it was the one that kept me going,” Dahyun paused to wipe Sana’s tears as her tears flow as well.

 

“I know I made you cry a lot. I don’t deserve you. But for the second time, please let me know. Let me wipe all of your tears and drown you in my love. I’ll treat you right this time. I’ll make up to the years we lost,”

 

“This one is a weird way to reunite with your ex but…” Dahyun joked.

 

“--something tells me this is right. Will you give me a second chance and marry me?”

 

Sana was crying.

 

“Technically, I proposed first. Of course, you know the answer,” Sana joked and giggled between tears.

 

 “And since you’re proposing now, I guess I know your answer too,” Sana wiping Dahyun’s tears.

 

“You’ve been in so much pain too, Dahyun-ah,” Sana said while caressing Dahyun’s face and staring lovingly into her eyes.

“I forgot about all the pain now that I’m with you, Sana.” Dahyun held Sana’s face.

 

“You’re still so corny,” Sana chuckled while sniffling.

 

Dahyun pecked Sana’s lips but Sana was disappointed by that,

 

“We haven’t seen each other your YEARS then all you give is a peck?”

 

Sana cheekily smiled before pulling Dahyun closer for a deep and passionate kiss.

 

Tears are escaping from their eyes but this time, it is tears of joy.

 

They pulled away to breathe and smiled at each other lovingly. For a second everything felt like a dream for both of them.

 

“Now we could exchange the rings?” Sana said and Dahyun obliged.

 

She put the ring she brought on Sana and Sana did it to her as well with her mother’s ring.

 

“Oh my cry baby,” Sana pouted and hugged Dahyun tightly.

 

“Says you who kept crying too,” Dahyun teased Sana but was more than happy to be in her arms.

 

A few moments of hugging and then a loud noise came.

 *pop!*

A bottle of champagne popped and is now overflowing from the bottle.

“FINALLYYYYYYYYYY,” Nayeon said.

 

“So? Are you guys good? Or did we interrupt at the wrong time?” Jihyo asked.

 

“Dahyun my brooo I’m happy for you. So as Tzuyu, she’s just shy to say,” Chaeyoung who’s seemingly tipsy put her arms around Dahyun’s shoulders and whispered.

 

 Dahyun found Chaeyoung heavy, a good thing Tzuyu was there to take out-of-control Chaeyoung away.

 

”Deserves another celebration!” Momo said.

 

“Food again?” mina asked innocently

 

And Jeongyeon laughed hysterically which made all other members laugh too.

 

“How are you both holding? What’s the status?” Nayeon asked and wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“Look at Nayeon. Acting as if she didn’t cry earlier after eavesdropping on the two,” Jeongyeon teased.

 

“I DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!” Nayeon defended.

 

“Sure sure,” Jeongyeon continued teasing


“Guys,” Dahyun called the attention of everyone.

 

“We’re engaged!” Dahyun said.

 

All of them congratulated Sana and Dahyun and this turned into a group cuddle (just like how they used to). All of them are tearing up.

 

They all have been rooting for both of them and they know how much both of them suffered.

 

Some of them still laugh when seeing the other member cry. There are teases here and there. These teases turned into pushing certain members into the pool so no one could see the tears anymore. The first victim was the celebrated couple. Eventually, all of them jumped in. Acting as childish as they want. Playing as if there’s no tomorrow. Time might’ve changed the way they look and the way they live their lives, but the bond and love for each other are at their core. It felt as if their soul’s time traveled into their past younger selves.

 

---

 

 

 

After the “pool party” everyone went inside to warm up and change clothes.

 

In the corner of the hotel room, while everybody was busy choosing what movie to watch together. The cuddly couple was in their bubble. They have never been separated since earlier and all of their friends understood.

 

“Sana, am I dreaming?” Dahyun asked.

 

“If this was a dream, Dahyun. I don’t ever want to wake up,” Sana answered.

 

“Me too, Sana. Me too,” Dahyun said.

 

“I love you always, Dahyun”

 

“I love you always, Sana”

 

They held hands and stayed cozy under the hotel’s comforter while laughing at the silly antics of their friends who looks older and probably in their early 40s and mid-30s, but still young at heart.

 

--

 

 

 

 

 

“So you did keep the house,” Sana said.

 

“Yup. And I tried not to maintain its look. I didn’t get it renovated or what. It’s still a house. I want to make plans about possible changes only with you,” Dahyun said and held Sana by the waist.

 

This day is October 21. A day after everything happened. Both of them returned to the house and Dahyun wanted Sana to see how their house was doing.

“What would you do if I didn’t return?” Sana asked.

 

“Nothing. I’d stay here. I’d stay pretty much the same. You know, waiting for you to come home. Hoping to meet you,”

 

Sana hugged Dahyun. “I should’ve reached out sooner,” Sana said feeling bad.

 

Dahyun pulled away from the hug to look at Sana.

 

“Hey shh. We said new beginning, right? Everything happened because it had to. Nothing could be more perfect than every moment with you now,” Dahyun said putting their foreheads closer then she kissed Sana’s forehead

 

Sana felt contented and comforted by Dahyun’s words and gestures.

-----

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few months later, on a rainy morning.

 

“Former Twice Members, Minatozaki Sana & Kim Dahyun, Gets married”

 

Sana who was sitting beside Dahyun in the living room almost choked on her coffee.

 

“Dahyun?” Sana called Dahyun.

 

Dahyun looked up from her phone.

 

“Have you seen this?” Sana showed the article to Dahyun.

 

“Yup. Look, we look cute there though,” Dahyun said and continued.

 

“By the way, are you okay with it? I mean we’ve been exposed.” Dahyun asked.

 

“I don’t have any problem with it but I’m worried about you. Why aren’t you worried?” Sana said as she put down her coffee on the table to give her full attention to Dahyun.

 

Dahyun also put down her phone.

 

“Do you want me to?” Dahyun joked a little.

 

She shook her head.

 

“Not anymore. Nothing matters already. The important thing is that I’m with you and we’re together,” Dahyun pulled Sana in a cuddle.

 

Sana felt like crying. She was overwhelmed with happiness.

 

Things really do change and Dahyun held onto her promises.

 

She wouldn’t exchange all of this for anything. Their months together have been very blissful.

 

They have been married and their love seems to grow every passing.

 

Dahyun put Sana’s head on her shoulders and snuggled closer putting the blanket. She kissed her forehead again. This gesture has been a habit in their relationship to reassure Sana that everything’s fine.

 

“Don’t worry too much. I learned a lot from my mistakes before. I won’t leave you again. Remember? I told you I won’t ever make you cry. I won’t hurt you anymore,” Dahyun said.

 

“Somehow, all of these still feels like a dream,” Sana said.

 

“If this is a dream, let’s not wake up from this. EVER,” Dahyun said repeating their words on the day they reunited.

 

“Let’s not wake up ever,” Sana said and snuggled closer.

 

“I love you always, Sana,”

 

“I love you always, Dahyun,”