Oneshot

Sleep talk
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yongsun woke up in the middle of the night feeling hot, her dry throat caused an uncomfortable, sandy sensation. The bedroom was hot and stuffy, and Yongsun blamed the person who was sleeping restlessly beside her.

Wheein had arrived that night looking like summer rain: sudden and stormy, but not refreshing. Already lying on the bed, Yongsun disguised her glances as she watched Wheein's heavy, wavering steps, catching the faint odor of alcohol in the air that had grown thicker since the youngest entered the room.

"I'm cold." Wheein had said when she returned from an icy bath, her short blond hair was still dripping with water. She didn't wait for an answer before turning off the air conditioner. "There was no more hot water again thanks to your endless baths, you should be careful, or you will use all the water on the planet too."

"You should be home early if you want to bathe in hot water." Yongsun had said nonchalantly while turning her cell phone off and placing it on the nightstand. They held an annoyed gaze, both felt the resulting electricity of it. Wheein was the first to look away scoffing, she released a short laugh that was more air than sound.

"Selfish." she murmured, Yongsun pretended not to hear. The older woman rolled her eyes and pulled the blanket, Wheein lay down beside her and did the same.

There was no 'good night' or kiss or spooning as before. What were there were the few centimeters between them, which looked more like kilometers when they lay with backs turned to each other. They were sharing the bed in those circumstances out of stubbornness, they both knew it, but neither of them wanted to give in.

Wheein fell asleep quickly, the alcohol running through her veins played the part of magic sand sprinkled on the eyes. On the other hand, Yongsun wasn't so lucky, she didn't have a Sandman's visit that night, sleep was slow to reach her and, when it did, it was superficial. When Yongsun woke up in the middle of the night, the blanket was heavy, abrasive, and it aggravated the uncomfortable feeling of her pajamas sticking to her skin. She took a deep breath, the hot air burning her airways. Running a hand over her face, she felt the thin layer of sweat and grunted as she turned to the side. Wheein slept on her back, her figure forming in the shadows as Yongsun's eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room. The youngest sighed softly sometimes, immersed in sleep while Yongsun was more and more awake. The brunette snorted, the cold war between them wasn't turning the bedroom cooler for her sleep for sure.

Minutes passed before Yongsun decided to get up and went to the kitchen dragging her feet while yawning. The kitchen light bothered her when it was , and she filled a glass with water blindly as her pupils adapted to the sudden lighting. A satisfied 'hum' was emitted when the cold water sent a sense of relief through her, washing away the sand on . She leaned over the countertop and took a deep breath of fresh air from the open room, allowing herself to zone out for a minute or two. From a distance, Yongsun could make out a strange shadow formed by Wheein's jacket, which had been thrown over the back of the sofa. On the floor lay Wheein's plaid backpack and sneakers, probably thrown at random when the blond entered drunk and still irritated by their fight.

A bitter taste spread through Yongsun's mouth accompanying the memory of the fight.

Yongsun closed her eyes for a moment, nostrils inflating as she inhaled the freshest air. Guilt began to bloom in her, but the brunette reminded herself that she, too, was irritated. She wasn't the only one to make the wrong decision; so the fight wasn't just her fault. Clinking her tongue, annoyed again, Yongsun put the glass in the sink and turned off the light, using the memory to dodge the furniture on her way to the dark living room. She stopped to pick up Wheein's backpack on the floor and placed it carefully on the sofa, her hand lingering when she felt Wheein's jacket on the back of it. Her hand smoothed over the worn jeans as she sighed; then she bent down again to pick up the sneakers before walking slowly towards the front door to place them on the small rack there. The jacket remained in her hand for another moment before she brought it to her face. 'It smells like her,' Yongsun thought. The smell of spring was strong, appealing even with the faint alcoholic odor permeating it. Yongsun purred when she confirmed that there was no unknown female fragrance profaning the calmness of Wheein's scent. Then, she inhaled again, hard and with her eyes closed as her face was buried in the collar of the jacket. Yongsun filled her lungs with her favorite perfume until she felt light-headed and stayed that way for a few moments before hanging the piece beside to her own jacket. In the darkness, she could only see some contours and shadows, but the thought crossed her mind for the umpteenth time with the same certainty as always: they belong side by side.

A tired sigh was released, Yongsun knew that they shouldn't fight so much. However, once again, she remembered that it wasn't just her fault. After all, it takes two of them for a fight to happen. 

Yongsun returned to the bedroom with quick steps and, as soon as she entered the room, she could feel the invisible and dense fog that had been there since Wheein arrived. The sticky sensation came back, made the pajamas glued to the skin, and weighed on her lungs, forcing Wheein's spring scent out. The sensation was suffocating, the tension thick. Yongsun was tempted to undress and lie on the bed, but she thought twice. Since she didn't know what Wheein would think if she woke up and found her there, in another moment there would be no problem, but now that they were fighting ... the doubt prevailed.

'The bed is yours too, you have the right to lie on it as you please.' Stubbornness whispered in her ear. Yongsun bit her lip and decided to half way: she took off her shorts but remained with the top. With one less piece of clothing, she felt a little better.

Yongsun stopped for a few seconds looking at the bed, Wheein had shifted her position and was now sleeping facing Yongsun's side with one arm stretched over the empty space, hugging the messy blanket, her nose was touching the brunette's pillow. Yongsun rolled her eyes as she murmured "what a space taker" with some irritation, that failed to be true, and patted the blond's arm until she withdrew it. When the brunette lay down, Wheein shifted her position, once more on her back, and murmured something that Yongsun couldn't understand.

Her back touched the soft mattress, the pillow fitted comfortably to her head, the blanket was put away, she closed her eyes. Even so, Yongsun was unable to sleep. As time passed, the tension increased and sleep didn't return. Anguish began to emerge, fueled by sudden insomnia and the whispers of the memories of a few nights ago when the whole situation started. Behind closed lids, images formed in sync with the murmur of the music playing in the bar that Friday night, when she arrived late for the show of Wheein's band, but in time to see one of the "fans" hanging on the blond's neck. Yongsun opened her eyes abruptly, her teeth clenched tightly, magma ran through her veins once again.

Jealousy was something that didn't suit her, it was like tight clothing, which limited her movements and was uncomfortable, from a color that didn't match her at all. However, here she was wearing that for days now. Yongsun put her hands on her head, pulling her hair in exasperation. That uncomfortable 'outfit' exposed the worst side of her when the discomfort became intolerable. It was a pity that Yongsun was unable to rage, it would be so much easier to scream and curse what was causing the pressure inside her, but no, her eruption was silent, it was lava slowly advancing until it burned everything it found along the way.

And it caused a frustrating opposition with the snowstorm that was Wheein's reaction.

Yongsun wondered 'and if I hadn't been late, would things have been different?', Since her presence in the audience demanded respect, it tagged an unmarked territory. Perhaps that was why it had taken so lon

Please log in to read the full chapter