stay

Paranoid

Last night was pretty normal—for me, that is.

 

I was just sitting alone on my apartment, watching the last episode of this old kdrama that I found while eating steaming hot ramen, when I heard a loud scream outside. It was indeed loud, as if someone was right by my door. I didn't know where it came from; it might've came from downstairs or my other neighbor was having their friends over—something like that.

 

But it felt wrong. It's like something bad has happened, and it brought concern to me. I wanted to check what's up outside, so I paused the kdrama that I was watching before I set my chopsticks down.

 

As I was about to reach my apartment's door, I heard three faint knocks followed by silence. It kinda creeped me out especially when somebody just screamed a few moments ago. My door didn't have a peep-hole, so I wasn't able to check outside.

 

I turned the door knob carefully as I reached out to my middle school baseball bat sitting next to the door. And to my surprise, my next door neighbor was standing on the corner of the door frame with her hands clenched in to a fist right by her chest. I noticed that she was breathing heavily and her face is painted with worry.

 

To my instinct, I opened the door wide and asked her to come inside. "Hey, oh my God. Are you okay? What happened?" I said as I closed my door from behind. She still hasn't said a single word.

 

I guided her inside, directly to my small kitchen where I was watching and eating moments ago. I pushed my laptop aside together with my bowl of ramen so that the table has more space.

 

She sat down carefully as if she was trying not to break the glass table. She was very anxious, and I was very concerned.

 

"You're sweating a lot, do you want me to get some water?" I asked, she nodded quietly. I rushed over to my fridge, grabbed a big bottle of cold water before pouring it on a clean glass by the sink. I offered her the drink and watched her consume it quietly. 

 

She let out a relieved sigh, but her eyes are still filled with worry. I decided to wait for her to calm down and settles in before I ask about what happened.

 

It took a few minutes for her to feel comfortable and I noticed that her breathing has finally relaxed. I put my right hand on her left shoulder, and it made her flinch a little. "Mina, what happened?" and right after that, she started crying.

 

Turns out, she was the one who screamed earlier. She said somebody entered her apartment through the balcony while she was doing homework. She didn't know who it was, it might even be a stalker. According to her, that person didn't even say a single word to her. They just entered her apartment, and then backed out when she screamed. It scared her a lot because she swore she locked the balcony door. If I were on her shoes, I would be totally scared as well.

 

"Hey, hey. It's okay. I'm here" I assured while I move my hand up and down her back to calm her down.

 

"I don't think I could go back there for a while" Mina said with a fake laugh. I let out a frown. "I'm still not done with my homework" she added, and it made us laugh a little. She really knows how to lift up the mood even just for a little.

 

Mina has been my next door neighbor since the beginning of college. We're on the same year, but we take different courses. I must admit, I might have a *little* crush on her. She became my classmate on one subject this semester, and it made me super happy. I've been seeing her almost everyday—when I leave and arrive from school. We exchanged a few smiles on campus whenever we see each other around, a some small talks regarding the class that we're both in. And that's it. I don't know exactly how I got a crush on her, but who wouldn't have a crush on Myoui Mina? She's beautiful, kind, smart, and very funny even if she doesn't try. But now, I'm seeing the Mina that probably no one has seen before. She's anxious; terrified even. She's traumatized with what just happened. All she have right now is me, and I should not mess this up.

 

"Do you want me to get it for you?" I asked, referring to her unfinished homework. She showed an apologetic smile before nodding. So I stood up, walked out the door and entered her apartment. The lights are on and the curtains by the balcony is a mess. Obviously because of what happened. I looked over to her desk and saw an opened notebook with a mint green pencil case on the side. I closed the notebook, returned the scattered pens on the desk to her pencil case, then I walked back to my place right after turning off her apartment lights.

 

When I got back, she was looking at my laptop with the paused kdrama on screen. I caught her attention when the door closed, and she let out another small smile. Which is cute by the way. "Do you watch kdramas too?" I asked while placing down her things on the table.

 

"Yeah, but not much recently since there's a lot of school stuff going on" Mina answered while pulling her things closer to her. "I watched this one, by the way. This one's good." she added with her usual beautiful smile.

 

"It is. Even the first episode made me cry" I said while I sat down on the vacant chair across her before pulling my laptop close. 

 

Mina let out a playful giggle, which made my face heat up a little. How could someone be this cute?

 

"Do you want me to spoil you?" Mina suddenly said with her eyes glued on her notebook.

 

I looked up from my laptop with my eyebrows furrowed. "No." I answered firmly.

 

Mina looked up and smiled widely. Oh God. 

 

"Okay then." she answered before she continues on working on her homework, leaving my heart beating like crazy.

 

She spent the night over at my apartment since she was still scared at going back to her own. I let her sleep on my bed while I slept on my regular-sized sofa. She fell asleep rather quickly, which was understandable because she went through a lot tonight. On the other hand, I stayed up a little late to watch another drama.

 

And that's how last night went for me. From something normal, to something that I never expected to happen.

 

The morning came, and we woke up at the same time since we both have classes to attend. I brewed some coffee for myself, Mina refused to have one because she claimed that she's been lessening her consume of caffeine. And because of that, she made me get her favorite cereal on ber place, which I think is cute.

 

We spent the quick morning together and proceeded to our own schedules. Lunch passed and we're on the subject that we were both taking. She looks obviously anxious of her surroundings, which is a pain to see. So with all of my guts swallowed up, I approached her and accompanied her throughout the two-hour subject. We exchanged small talks, and this time it was all random. We talked about different things unrelated to the subject, we even got scolded by our professor.

 

When the subject ended, and we had to go separate ways again, she surprised me with a quick hug.  "Thanks for everything" she said before leaving the room, not even letting me say a single word.

 

Fast forward to night time on the same day (which is now), I am currently sitting on my kitchen again—but not in front of my laptop. I am working on an individual project that is due two days later, and Mina is sitting right across me; doing her own school stuff.

 

It's getting kinda late, and I'm still halfway through my project.

 

Mina suddenly sat up straight, stretched her back with both of her hands in the air as she yawned. I guess she's done with whatever it is that she's doing. From my peripheral view, I watched her close her notebook and gathered the rest of her stuff on the table.

 

"Going to bed?" I asked. She nodded.

 

She walked her way to my bed, pulled up the thick blanket and attempted to sleep. I know I shouldn't be watching her, but here I am.

 

"You know, I might not fall asleep with you watching" Mina said with her eyes closed. Her words made me blushed instantly and I almost immediately tried to act as if I was busy doing my project.

 

I heard her laugh softly.

 

Then, it was quiet.

 

Mina sure falls asleep fast.

 

A few minutes in working on my project, I heard a few groans and some muffle sounds—which was from the bed caused by Mina shifting positions almost every second. This caught my attention because I saw her face like she was having a bad dream.

 

I stopped what I was doing and sat on the floor next to my bed, our faces aligned with each other. How could someone look so beautiful even when asleep?

 

"Who...who are you?" Mina whispered. Still asleep. Which is cute, but really concerning.

 

I used my index finger to swipe off the few strands of her hair to her ear that was blocking her beautiful face. "It's me, Dahyun." I whispered softly.

 

Her eyes opened slowly when she heard me. "Thank God, it's you" she said with her husky sleepy voice before closing her eyes again.

 

"Bad dream?" I asked the obvious, but she still nodded against my blanket. I moved my hand to her head and gave it a few reassuring pats. "Don't worry, I'm here" I whispered, she let out a sleepy smile.

 

I was about to stand up and walk back to the table, but then I heard her speak again. "Can you...lay here with me?" she said with a faint voice. She was half asleep, and she wants me next to her. SHE WANTS ME TO LAY DOWN NEXT TO HER!!!

 

"Uh, sure" I said cooly. She scooted a little on the the side to leave some space for me. I moved my body inside the thick blanket and Mina just shifted to my side, facing me entirely with her eyes closed.

 

"Thanks" she whispered. I smiled. "...you make everything easier" she added, which made me blush once again. I was thankful that she has her eyes closed this time.

 

We're currently facing each other, the only difference is; Mina's asleep, and I am a hundred percent awake. I brushed her hair again to the side so I that I can have a clearer view of her beautiful face. It's probably my first time seeing her this close.

 

"You know, I have a crush on you." I whispered to the sleeping beauty. 

 

Or so I thought.

 

She let out a muffled humm as she moved her face closer, burying it on to my chest. This may sound weird, but her hair smells amazing. "Me too" she whispered.

 

It brought a huge amount of shock to me, and I know that my heart is beating like crazy right now. Mina has her head on my chest, I just hope that she wont hear my insane heartbeats.

 

"Your heart is racing" she said before giggling—which didn't help AT ALL. 

 

"Just go to sleep" I whispered to her hair, then it was all followed by silence.

 

She fell asleep. Next to me. On my chest.

 

~

 

The next day came and we didn't get to meet today since our schedules are different every Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The class that we both have falls on Tuesdays and Thursdays, that's why we weren't classmates for today.

 

The day has ended and I rarely saw her on campus today, I don't even know if she came to school or not.

 

She didn't even come to my apartment. All her things are not around when I went home, which probably means that she's trying to adjust back to her own apartment.

 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the same three knocks on my door.

 

"Hey" Mina said.

 

"Hey" I answered.

 

Mina handed over a small paper bag, which I accepted obviously. When I opened it, there was a lot of chocolates inside. "You mentioned that you love chocolates, so here's a little token of thanks for the past few days." she said. I was touched with the gesture, but I was more touched when she remembered the small detail about my love for chocolates.

 

"Thanks, I'll be eating them later" I said with a sincere smile, she smiled back.

 

Silence filled the air, and it was rather awkward this time.

 

"So... you'll be staying on your apartment again?" I asked, she nodded in response.

 

"I can't just stay here forever" she said, we both laughed.

 

"Will you be okay?" I added, she nodded again. "If you need anything, just knock on my door. Okay?" I said. And for the third time, she just nodded. But I have this itching feeling that she has something to say.

 

"Actually..."

 

and I was right.

 

"...can you stay over with me?" she said while looking away. "I mean, I still need to get used to my own apartment...I just want to...you know...have you there." I noticed how her face instantly turned pink. Who knew the Myoui Mina that everyone adores blushes so fast like this?

 

"Of course" I answered shortly

 

and on that very moment, she let out the brightest smile that I have ever seen in my whole life.