Chapter 1/1

Such an Adventure: Monster at Night

1 year before.

 

The age of the kids:-

Luhan and Minseok: 6

Yixing: 4

Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Jongdae: 3

Kyungsoo Zitao: 2

Sehun, Jongin: 1

 

 

 

Yixing wondered at the aisle of the pharmacy. He watched his father at the counter, buying some medicine for his little brother who was having a cold. He looked at the packaging of a medicine and frowned. He could not read that. Well, for a four years old boy, of course he could not read that but the writing was so different from what he always saw before. Everything was different.

 

He just came from China to South Korea about a month ago. The aunt at the orphanage told him he was adopted and he would have a family. He would have a mom and a dad and lots of brothers. A couple had visited him many months before. They were nice, they played with him. After that, they asked him whether he wanted to be their son. Little Xingie hesitated for a while. All his life, he lived with his grandmother and after she died, he lived here. If he said yes, he had to travel far far away from here and everything was going to be different but seeing the couple's kindness and warmness, he could not help but say yes. He always wanted a dad to play with him and a mom to hug and kiss him goodnight everyday. And now here he was.

 

He had ten brothers and that was a lot. He got two older brothers and seven little brothers. Luhan gege and Zitao came from the same place he was from thus they can understand and talk to each other. His new parents too can speak Chinese. Meanwhile for the others, he tried his best to communicate with them through signal and simple words. As much as he was working hard in learning Korean, his other brothers also were trying hard to learn Chinese. It's not going to be long till he could freely talk to them.

 

He walked to the next aisle, eyes were wild looking for something before finally laid on a row of bottles. "This isn't it." He frustratedly muttered. He picked them up one by one, meticulously checking the picture as he could not read the language. What he did not realize someone was watching over him.







 

Kris was busy sorting cosmetic products on the shelves when he heard the kid. He had worked at the pharmacy, which was owned by his close friend during the weekend. As the stock came in like a mountain, his friend called and offered him to work there for two days. Thinking he was free and it would not hurt to help the friend, Kris took the opportunity. Besides, he indeed needed money to buy a new xbox as his mom refused to buy him one.

 

He stared at the kid. He was alone. He looked chinese, no, he was speaking chinese. He looked like he was in trouble so Kris decided to offer some help.

 

"Do you-- Do you need any help?" He stuttered in korean before correcting himself in chinese, too used to using korean in this country instead of his mother language.

 

"I--" The kid mumbled, trying to find the korean word he needed to tell the man in front of him before giving up and proceeded to shyly ask in chinese, "Do-- do you have this spray but-- but for monsters?"

 

The last word he muttered was barely heard but he got it. Kris looked at bug spray in the kid's hand and crouched down to be on the same level of the kid. He did not want to intimidate the shy kid with his height. "May I know why you need it?" He asked.

 

"I-- My- my brothers were afraid of dark. They told me monsters will come out and tickle our feet so we wake up and see their scary faces. Mom-- mom said the bug spray will make bugs go away. Won't- won't monster spray make monster go away too?"

 

Kris was trying hard to suppress his chuckle. Kids are so cute. "I don't know whether we have that or not. Why don't you ask the pharmacist at the counter? She is the boss here." He widely smiled at the kid.

 

"I--" Yixing looked at the counter where the pharmacist was. His father was there too, discussing something about baby Sehun's cold.

 

"I will go with you if you want me to." Kris told him when he saw the kid hesitated.

 

"I will translate it for you." He added and that made the kid smile brightly at him. He walked to the counter, turning back several times to make sure Kris was following him.

 

Yixing stopped on his track, it seemed like the adults were in serious discussion, he felt hesitated to interrupt them but that until Kris cleared his throat and told them the kid needed something. He stalled, he looked at Kris for assurance before gaining his confidence to ask the pharmacist about the monster spray. He stuttered with his story but Kris was there, translating every word exactly as the kid said.

 

Kris could see his friend's mother's face scrunched in confusion but not a minute after, she told them to wait as she walked to the back of the store. Yixing giddily jumped on his spot as he was thinking he would get what he was searching for while the man beside him sighed loudly. He was trying to tell the kid that they did not need the spray and Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongdae would be fine without it but the pharmacist beat him first.

 

She came back with a bottle of spray, seriously key-in some information on the computer and was printing something with the printer. She took the label and stuck it on the bottle before scribbling something on it.

 

"Here's the cold medicine." She told the father about the meds, the amount needed, how many times the baby needed to take it, the precaution and all that serious matter before she turned to the patiently-waited kid.

 

"Here's the monster spray. You need to spray it one spray every night in your room at every place you think the monsters are. But not too much. If it is too much, it will not be effective and the monster will still come." Kris chuckled at the eagerly nodded kid. Kris was pretty sure the kid did not understand half of the words so Kris translated them for him. "More importantly, you have to be brave. If the monsters know you are scared, they will still come so.." the pharmacist raised her both arms to sign to be strong and Yixing adorably followed her.

 

She then proceeded with the bill and ensured the father that it was no harm, it was just distilled water, and it was on the house. She also advised him to buy a night light for the kids to deal with the dark. The father could not thank her enough, he paid the bill and let still-smiling-brightly Yixing carry the plastic bag.

 

They thanked the pharmacist again before walking out, but Yixing stopped on his track. He ran to Kris. "Thank you, mister." He said and bowed before running back to take his father's hand. He waved goodbye at Kris, still with a wide, bright smile.

 

Kris went back to his work when the two were out of sight, carefully stacking the stock on the shelves. Somewhat seeing the kid's smile made him feel warm and fuzzy. So glad he could help him. He did not even know he was good with kids.


 

Heck, more importantly,he did even know the always-so-serious-and-strict mother of his friend would go along with this. He peeked at her and visibly regretted when he met her eyes. She glared at him as saying, stop smiling and do your work properly and with that, Kris stopped daydreaming and continued his work.