End

So if I Risk it All Will You Catch Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


A whiny Nayeon, Mina's neighbor and best friend followed her through the corridor as it curved to the left, at the end of which is the room for their next class.

"Mina you're walking too fast, wait for-" the complain was automatically hushed by Mina's glare. The older smiles sheepishly as she hasten her steps and immediately clings onto Mina when she's within her reach. "Can't wait to see your crush there?" Nayeon playfully teased.

"Crush-" Mina scoffs. "I don't have a crush on him."

Nayeon raises an eyebrow. "Really? Thought you said he's nice."

"He is, but that doesn't mean I have a crush on him." Mina elaborated.

Nayeon doesn't say a word, only kept on staring as if she's contemplating whether Mina had lied or not. A smile then replaced Nayeon's scrutinizing gaze a while ago, matched with the wiggling brows, Mina rolls her eyes, realizing that the woman is teasing her again after she saw who was walking towards them. It's Dooyoung, the lad Nayeon had labeled as Mina's crush.

"Hi." he stops in front of the girls to greet both of them, with his slicked back hair and neat appearance, also that attractive grin he's known of, there's no wonder a lot of students adore him. Not to mention that he's really friendly and smart. "Going to our class ladies?" he casually asks.

"No, to the bathroom." Nayeon replies, which made Mina's eyes grow wide a bit, because Nayeon isn't the type to answer sarcastically, at least not to someone she's not close with.

Thankfully, Dooyoung seemed to brush it off as a serious answer. "Well then, I'll see both of you in class." he flashes a smile.

"Of course." Nayeon smiled back.

Mina pinches Nayeon right after Dooyoung left and entered the classroom. "What was that?" she whispered.

"I really need to go to the bathroom, okay?" Nayeon huffs.

'Did she read it wrong? Was Nayeon serious all along?'

All of that was a brief thought as Mina heard Nayeon giggling. "No, was just messing up with him. Thought it would be funny if he'd react but no fun, he's too nice or dumb."

"Ohh so now you're calling a top student dumb." Mina narrows her eyes at Nayeon's direction.

Nayeon simply shrugs. "Mina, there's a difference between textbook smart and real life smart." she said as she walks past Mina, only to look back when she noticed Mina wasn't following. "Well? Hurry up, you don't want to be late for class right?"

Mina rolls her eyes again and followed suit.

 

The class wasn't that interesting as Mina thought it would be, it was just a continuation of a previous topic, about objects and gravity. And occupying a seat that's not near Nayeon but with a classmate just as quiet as she is didn't help at all. Too bad, when they arrived, the available seats were apart and one being next to Dooyoung. Mina doesn't want to get teased on by her best friend so she took the one she's sitting right now after realizing the situation. Nayeon didn't go without pouting at Mina though, a habit the older does everytime something happens against her will.

After the class, Mina seemed to notice Nayeon had gone silent than normal, she's not the type to keep shut unless they just finished an exam and all negative thoughts are filling her brain, too much that Nayeon's capacity could handle. Mina reaches for Nayeon's wrist. "Are you okay? You seemed a bit off." Mina asks softly.

Nayeon sighs. "I take back my word, Dooyoung is not nice for you."

Immediately, Mina wears a frown. "What are you talking about?"

"He's too suspicious."

"Did he say something? About me?" 

Nayeon shakes her head. "It's not that. He's just… I don't know. I'll tell you soon, okay?" she dismissed the topic. Mina was about to argue but then Nayeon moved her hand from Mina's grip, only to cling onto Mina's arms properly.

"I want to eat ice cream before going home." Nayeon shares, cheerful energy's back like it never left.

Mina cant help her smile as she let goes of the previous topic. "I'd love that too."


~

There was a bit of a mess. Nayeon's ice cream melted because she is too busy laughing at whatever she sees on her social media, whether it's a video, a meme, or a dumb post, she always shows it Mina. "Opps." Nayeon grins when she saw the drip on the table. Mina could only sigh and offered the tissue to the older.

"You smeared some on your cheek." Mina points out.

"Oh." Nayeon uses her phone to check her reflection, she quickly put it down. "Ahh, damn! My other hand is so sticky Minari." 

"You're such a baby, you know?" Mina says yet she's now helping Nayeon clean herself up even before the older girl could ask. She garbs more tissue, lots of it to wipe Nayeon's hand. "You should just wash your hands, now I need to wash mine too." Mina mumbles before giving Nayeon more tissue. When Nayeon accepted it, Mina felt the slight brush of Nayeon's fingers against her hand, as if the older girl did it on purpose because it lingered, long enough for Mina's sake. A tingling feeling suddenly builds up inside her, causes her cheeks to burn that she needed to look away.

It's silly. Mina also thinks it's hopeless and pathetic for her to have this kind of emotions for her best friend. After all, it was just a simple touch.

"You okay?" Nayeon asked. Mina could only nod.

Maybe Nayeon didn't even do it the way Mina thinks she did. Maybe it was just Mina's thoughts, clouded by her feelings.

Moment like this makes her think she's stuck in hole with no idea how to escape.
When did it start? Honestly, Mina doesn't know. She doesn't know when she started paying attention to Nayeon more than what a friend should do. She doesn't remember anymore when was the last time she looked at Nayeon and thought how nice yet loud and annoying this girl could be, not how adorable and pretty she is; not how at every eye contact, Mina would think Nayeon is capable of taking her breath away.

It's so cliché to think about. After years, Mina suddenly finds herself liking her best friend. Someone she had known since diaper days. Probably the first one who made her cry because of a toy fight, yet also probably the first one who made her laugh, aside from Mina's family, of course.

She doesn't have a crush on Dooyoung, because Mina is in a pit of someone else.

"You're too quiet. Do you want to go home now?" Nayeon's voice breaks Mina from trance. "This is my treat today by the way." she adds with a smile. Mina personally thinks Nayeon has the cutest smile out of all. 

"Next time would be mine." Mina answers.

"Sure, fair and square." Nayeon agrees.


Later that that day, Mina finds herself in the same thoughts that had been drowning her mind for so long. 'Nayeon. Nayeon is her best friend and she couldn't risk it. What if she's not feeling the same? And even if she does, what if they'll fall apart later on?' There's too much worries with so little certainties, Mina wishes she'll wake up one day and she'd be free from all of these. 

Just when she's about to close her eyes, the phone on her side lights up. Mina unlocks it to check the notification, it was a message from Nayeon. Seeing her name, Mina completely decided she's not that sleepy anymore.

From Yeon 10:58PM:
"Mina, are you still awake?"

To Yeon 10:58PM:
"Yes, why?"

Mina waits a bit. 

2 minutes.

5

10

She sighs. Maybe the girl had fallen asleep. She was starting to type a good night message when her phone chimed once more.

From Yeon 11:09PM:
"Actually, I've been contemplating whether to tell you this or not."

'Okay, now this is making Mina nervous.'

To Yeon 11:09PM:
"You know you can tell me anything."

From Yeon 11:10PM:
"Dooyoung asked me out."

"Earlier, when I was sitting next to him."

"That's why I was so quiet after class."

"Minari? Are you mad? :("


Mina closes her eyes briefly before taking a deep breath. 

It stings. Minari doesnt seem to sound that endearing in that sentence anymore.

To Yeon 11:12PM:
"When?"

From Yeon 11:12PM:
"This weekend."

To Yeon 11:13PM:
"Okay."

From Yeon 11:13PM:
"How did you know I said yes?"

To Yeon 11:14PM:
"You're too nice to embarrass him and say no."

From Yeon 11:15PM:
"Ahhh… Right :/ you know me so well Minari."

To Yeon 11:16PM:
"Good night."

From Yeon 11:16PM:
"Good night, I'll see you tomorrow! :D"

She locks her phone and tosses it away. Heaving a sigh, Mina raised her arm to cover her eyes. She doesn't want Nayeon to be the reason for her heartache, yet that's something she has no control of. Nayeon made her cry, and now it's not about some kiddie toys anymore.

It doesn't matter whether Nayeon had only said yes because she was cornered, though the idea gives a bit of comfort to Mina. It doesn't make it hurt any less, knowing that someday, for sure, Nayeon would talk to her about someone she likes. 

Someone who's not Mina.

That reality is what hurts the most.

 


~~~

It goes on for days. What Nayeon had said to be just one date turned to be every week. Mina feels sick whenever she'd see Dooyoung laughing with Nayeon, or whenever he'd linger his touch on Nayeon longer than it should be. But it pains differently when Nayeon glances at her and flashes a smile, completely oblivious to what Mina has been feeling.

They used to say they're like the alter ego, a mirror of each other. They may be different in so many ways, but somehow, both of them will notice when the other is having a hard time. Maybe right now Mina has been acting great, those who deserve fancy awards for masking her emotions, or maybe it's just different now, Nayeon's attention wasn't solely hers anymore. Not that it was hers in the first place, she thought.

"Mina."

She raised her chin up, quickly, to give Nayeon her undivided attention. 'Silly' "Yes?"

They're now walking side by side going to their neighborhood. Dooyoung offered earlier if she could walk both of them home but Nayeon, for the first time, declined on his request. Mina could clearly see how dejected the guy was, though he's not in Mina's list of favorites, she felt bad about it, a 'bit'.

"Do you think I'm the worst when after all the days I've gone out with him, I can't possibly seem to like him more than a friend?" Nayeon stopped walking, and reached for Mina's hand which the latter quickly understood what the older girl was asking for, so Mina pulled her closer and pats her back as she locks her in an embrace. "I think I'm giving him false hope and it's making me feel so damn guilty."

"Yeon.." Mina murmurs. There's a lot of things she wants to say, like how it's a relief to hear those words from Nayeon, how she'd been waiting for Nayeon to stop hanging out with him, yet Mina knows it's best to keep her selfish thoughts to herself. For all, these will only lead to situations she'd rather not think about. Being selfish made Mina feel a bit sick too. "I think it will be good that you talk to him and make everything clear." Mina ends up saying.

Nayeon nods against Mina's shoulder as she sinks herself more onto the crook of Mina's neck, causing her lips to touch the skin. Mina gasps, softly as she could. She stopped patting for a moment and when she regain her wit, she continued as if she didn't just felt her knees go weak after what Nayeon did.

Mina once again finds herself in a hopeless situation.

"Do you have a new lego set? I could help you build." Nayeon whispers.

"No, I won't let you touch my babies."

Nayeon pulls away from the hug and stomped her foot on the ground. "But I'm sad.."

"What a baby you really are." Mina kidded. 'Whipped'

"Does that mean I'm one of your babies too?" Nayeon's innocent expression made it worse for Mina. She doesn't know if the woman was teasing, uttered an oblivous remark or she's flirting. It didn't help that Mina can't seem to control the pink hue that's filled her cheeks. "Ahhh you're blushing Minari!" Nayeon giggled.

'Damn!'

Mina looked away immediately. "I am not, you're silly." she denied.

"So? Can we play? I'd behave, I promise." Nayeon pouts, gives off her puppy eyes. In all honesty, none of those were needed, Mina would say yes in a heartbeat.

"Fine. No sleepovers okay?"

"Hmmp! If I fall asleep, just wake me up." Nayeon started hopping towards the Myoui's residence. "Come on!" she calls at Mina.

"You act like you live there." Mina shakes her head.


Two hours into the lego set, Nayeon had started dozing off. They just had dinner half an hour ago and Nayeon had been complaining how sleepy she was. It's no wonder the older girl is now equipped with one of Mina's pillows while her leg is hanging on the edge of the bed.

Mina sighs, stopped building her lego set to put Nayeon in a more comfortable position. "There you go again." Mina mumbles as she pushed Nayeon gently so that the girl's body would be on the bed completely. Once done, Mina sits on the floor and leaned to rest her back against the bed frame. One of Nayeon's arm suddenly hit her head accidentally when the older girl changed position. Mina groaned and glared at the sleeping woman. From her seat, Mina could clearly see Nayeon face, some strands of hair covering it. The slight annoyance she felt earlier disappeared, popped like a bubble and was gone in a blink of an eye. She pondered whether to fix Nayeon's hair or not. 'She shouldn't, right?' But it's such a shame something is covering a beautiful view. Mina slowly raised her arm, she turned her body to Nayeon's direction so that it would be easier to move. But then, even before she could touch Nayeon's hair, a pair of brown eyes suddenly appeared and stared right back at her. 

She panicked, but she didn't look away. It's as if Nayeon's a magnet and Mina's the opposite pole who's attracted to her. 

"Wha-" Nayeon's words were interrupted. "What the Mina?!" the older sits immediately after Mina had hit her forehead.

"There was a mosquito." a lame excuse, for sure.

"You're lying!" Nayeon was glaring, one of her hands in on her forehead, the spot where Mina had hit.

"I am not."

"Well then why there's no blood?" 

"Maybe it flew before I could kill it."

"You're really lying." Nayeon insisted, she then get off from the bed and walked towards Mina's lego. "I'm holding this as a hostage."

"You better start thinking if that's a good choice or not Yeon." 

"Oh is that a threat Ms. Myoui?" Nayeon raised her chin, looking like she's really up for challenge.

Mina stands up and goes to Nayeon to get what she's holding as a 'hostage'. "I'll get these okay, bunny?" she said, in full seriousness to intimidate the other girl. It worked for a minute, Nayeon let go, but then she also turned her head to glare back at Mina. The sudden proximity made Mina lose her balance as she stepped away.

"Hey, careful. You almost stepped on your lego." Nayeon held her as a support, her voice was dripped in worry, it gives Mina 'funny' ideas that Nayeon might be liking her too.

Mina shakes her head and quickly untangled Nayeon's graps. "Thanks." she says. It's never good to play with fire. She can get burned  anytime.

"I think I should go home. It's a bit late." Nayeon announced.

"Yeah.." Mina agreed in her soft tone.

"I'll see you tomorrow Mina." Nayeon grabs her bag before heading to the door.

Mina only nods.

Once she was alone, Mina throws her body onto her bed and screams in frustration.

This needs to be fixed.


~


So far, Mina has simple plan. 

1. Stop looking for her, if she's not on your sight, there's no need to look for her.

2. Stop paying too much attention about everything she does. 

3. Stop thinking about her. 

4. Stop liking her.

Ahhh…. Doesn't seem to be hard, right?

She's been doing quite well, especially that Dooyoung stopped annoying Nayeon so Mina finds one less irritating person around her. Also no more reason to make her feel jealous. But the downside is, Nayeon has been with her all the time again, so it makes it harder for Mina to push through with her simple plan. Who was she kidding? It's really not simple at all.

It's quite funny to think about, what Mina once thought to be just a topic in their physics class, turned out to be something she could apply to herself. Free falling, without other forces applied, Mina's like the object falling because of the gravity named Nayeon.

It's a wonder if Nayeon would catch her. She'd only need to jump to know. She's just too afraid to do it. After all, there are a lot of complications. First, they're best friends, second, she doesn't know if Nayeon likes girls, third,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter