Miss Perfect?

Little Miss Perfect


 

There is a song on a clock sounding app that has been infuriating Kwon Eunbi. Don’t get her wrong it's not that she is spending an inordinate amount of time in that clock app - she doesn’t even remember its name and she swears she doesn’t know it exists. 


 

It’s that the source of her infuriation is …. 


 

It’s her room mate that seems hell bent to rub every single line of the said song to her face. 


 

Straight hair, straight A’s, straight forward, 

Straight past, I don’t cut corners,

I make a point to be on time

Head of the student council ~~~~ 


 

“Yah - Lee Chaeyeon , can you quit dancing and singing that annoying song.” 

 

“I don’t see how it is annoying, I like it.” 

 

“It is not really the song that is annoying. It’s.”

 

“It’s?” 

 

“You, dancing like a maniac!”


 

And because this is Lee Chaeyeon, her weird instead let out a maniacal laugh - Eunbi will swear [not that she swears - nope not at all] that Chuckie will get summoned on the floor. 

 

She’s not wrong. Chuckie is summoned, Chaeyeon might as well be possessed. 

 

The younger step close to her and again sang with emphasis. 

“Straight hair, straight A’s, straight forward~~” 

 

Eunbi jaw drop. Chaeyeon today is on a mission to make her life miserable. 

 

“I’m living my life like a musical.” Chaeyeon grin after realizing the older have too much of her joking. “Honestly, i don’t know why you are getting too affected by this song. It's just a fun song and a fun trend. People are supposed to sing what relates to them.” 

  

“And?” 

 

“Well I have straight hair, I’m straight A, I’m straight forward.” 

 

“And why the emphasis on student council.” 

 

“Ehhee. It's just so good to sing that part. We are almost the same except you know i'm as straight as a wet noodle and you’re the one on the student council.” 

 

“Ah. whatever you want. I give up.” Eunbi threw her arm and slumped down the sofa of their shared room. 

 

“I guess, Ms. Straight as a ruler won’t understand how much I relate to this song.”  

 

Chaeyeon picked her jacket and hummed heading to the door. “I won’t be going home tonight, see you - when i see you.” 

 

Eunbi rolled her eyes and threw the nearby pillow to Chaeyeon, “Make sure to get some protection.”

 

“Oh my cat, Unnie - I’m gay - it’s not like im gonna get pregnant.” 

 

“Still.” 

 

“I’m just kidding.” Chayeon chuckled. “Bye Bye Ms. Straight A Perfect.” and with a smirk on her face, Chaeyeon left.

 

Eunbi sank back pouting. She can’t really figure out what it is about that song that makes it so - so - so grating to her. 

 

As far as Eunbi knows, she’s straight. Yes. Straight A student, with straight hair, straight forward and straight laced personality. She assumes that Chaeyeon’s love of the song to use as a weapon to is the fact that she ticked off the entire first stanza of the song. 

 

Yes she’s straight, straight as a ruler and straight in everything - at least that's what she knows. 


 

Until 2 weeks ago...

 

Nope - she still thinks she’s straight. The straight line of A’s on her report card is a proof of that.


 

“On top of the class again. As expected of the president.” Sakura popped up beside her. 

 

“Yeah but still can’t beat you on being the actual Top 1.” Eunbi flicked Sakura’s forehead. 

 

“With all the gaming and dating you do, I can’t figure out how you stay on top.” 

 

“Aish, is the Ms. Perfect Eunbi-sama. Jealous?” 

 

“Nope.” Eunbi shoves her report card to her bag. “Not one bit, I'm just amazed at geniuses like you. I wish i could let up and play for a bit.”

 

“You know you could,  if you just reduce the perfect girl act.” 

 

“You know i'm not acting.”

 

“That's not what I mean, I mean - let people see you for who you are.” 

 

“What.” Eunbi suddenly stop on her track, “I. I don’t think I'm pretending or anything. What are you talking about Kkura-ya.” 

 

“That you don’t let others see that you are less than perfect. Anyways let’s go I’m starving.” 

 

Eunbi stood still, like time stopped for her. 

 

“Kwon Eunbi, Kwon the Great, Eunbi. What are you doing? - Ms. Madison! Hello are you there!?” 

 

Sakura waved and tried everything she could think of to bring Eunbi back on Earth. She wonders if the idea of being seen as less than perfect is so appalling to Eunbi that she stops breathing. Anyways that’s not her problem, if Eunbi wanted to stay still in the middle of the hallway, so be it , Miyawaki Sakura is not gonna let herself die starving.  

 

She spins around ready to leave Eunbi when she notices where or rather to whom the older is staring. “Straight my .” She whispered. 

 

“Is Ms. Kwon crushing on -” She chuckled.

 

“Shut it, I don’t have a crush on anyone let alone a girl.”

 

“Whoa calm down - I didn’t mention any name or even gender.” Sakura laughed. 

 

Eunbi has enough of this weird couple who is making fun of her. Last night it’s Chaeyeon and today it’s Sakura. If they are not her friend or classmate, she would have sold them.  Ok she’s not really gonna do that - doing it would spoil her perfect name. 


The only thing that she can do is clench her fist. 

 

“You look so red, i don’t know if it's because you are angry or embarrassed. There is nothing wrong with having a crush or falling in love, or falling in love with a woman so you know if you are feeling some sort of erratic heart beats…” 

 

“Godamnit Sakura, I’m not in love. Not to a woman.”

 

“You know you are too defensive, I'm just going to suggest you go get your heart check in the infirmary. Tsk.”
 

Eunbi got caught red handed.

 

Let's get her straight [as straight as you can try on a wet noodle]. 

 

Two weeks ago someone transferred to their school by the name of Kang Hyewon. Eunbi knows that much being the president of the Student Council.Let say it’s due to her curiosity that she seeked the reason why this person suddenly shot up the school popularity ladder. After seeing her, Eunbi understands why. 

 

Kang Hyewon is...  SHE’S SO GORGEOUS - that's is an OBJECTIVE opinion - NOT hers but an opinion shared by everyone. 

 

And yes she’ll repeat it, Kang Hyewon is gorgeous and captivating and her eyes are big and pull you in, that she even wanted to swim in them.

What the hell am I thinking?

 

Eunbi berated herself. Get back to working you dolt. 

 

From across the tables she heards a laughter - that is captivating. 

 

“This is the library, what the hell!?” she gritted her teeth. 

 

Yet despite her protest, that laughter sounds so much like music that she can’t help but look at the source. Welp, “F…” 

 

Kwon Eunbi’s heart protested the sudden rise in serotonin. The girl who is the source of the laughter looked and smiled back at her. She made a subtle bow and mouthed an apology. The later was a blur to Eunbi because the former, the smile, engraved itself in permanent ink inside her heart. 

 

She hid under her books and tried to make herself look busy. In truth is… she can’t concentrate. The sound of her heart drums to her head and her face - she might as well face planted on a tomato paste. 


 

This Kang Hyewon is dangerous to her heart and sanity.

 

“That sounds gay to me.” Chaeyeon commented, digging her way through her bag of potato chips. Her eyes are fixed on the drama they are watching on a popular streaming site. 


 

“Gay, what?”

 

“You. Suddenly noticing her in every corner of the school.”

 

“No. it’s just one big coincidence the fates are playing on me.” 

 

Chaeyeon shrugged. Eunbi’s harsh denial of the idea that she might be having a girl crush is starting to get on her. It’s one uncomfortable thing to notice for someone like Chaeyeon who doesn’t as much tries to hide her preference to the same around the older. 

 

“It's the Baader-meinhof.” Chayeon stood up and fetched a bottle of orange juice from their fridge.

 

“Baader - what?”

 

“Baader-meinhof.” Chaeyeon chugged the juice. “I thought you're smart? Baader-meinhof aka frequency illusion.You know  that she’s there, and you’re interested in her that everywhere you go, you are unconsciously trying to find her.” 

 

“No. It’s not that. I’m not trying too - it’s not that, don’t get it wrong.” 

 

Chaeyeon shoots her with a glare. The younger aggressively put the cap back on her juice. 

 

“What? Are you angry, Chaen?” 

 

“I’m going to bed now. You finish the show on your own.” 

 

“Cha-Chaeyeon. What the? You’re the one who keeps assuming and now you are angry.” 

 

“Look, I am not assuming I’m just saying.” Chaeyeon huffs,  “There is something not sitting right with me with how much you deny this possibility.” 

 

Chaeyeon marched back to her room, fuming. So much that she hit herself with the door on her way in and attempted to ask it to a fist fight before kicking it. It almost… almost made Eunbi cackle if not for her bewilderment in the sudden change in mood. 

 

She ruffles her hair. “What’s her problem?” 

 

“It’s what’s the problem.” Sakura corrected, “What’s the problem with it?” 

 

A whole night had passed and Eunbi couldn’t figure the cause of Chayeon’s anger. Here she is consulting Chaeyeon’s best friend - err... girlfriend of a way to make amends. 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“Sheesh. I do get why Chaen is angry at you.” Sakura chows down the jjajangmyeon she ordered from the menu , “You kinda deserve it and I’m also starting to get annoyed.” 

 

“Kkura-ya.” Eunbi whined. 

 

“Why are you like this?” Sakura facepalmed, “You’re smart but not smart enough to figure this out without being directly told. The denial is real.” Sakura took a deep breath. 

 

“Yeah, I guess I’m stupid.” 

 

“And stubborn.” Sakura jabbed at her forehead, “What is wrong with the idea of you having a crush on a girl? Yeah we are kinda assuming but all the things you told us just make sense in that angle.” 

 

“Thing is, I don’t think I have a crush on her.” 

 

“Yeah tell that to your left.” 

 

Eunbi looks to her left with no hesitation like a well trained puppy. Safe to say she regretted that decision. 

 

To her left is the mysterious beauty that has been floating in her dreams, alongside the softball pitcher Choi Yena. 

 

“Holy-”, Eunbi audibly cursed under her breath causing Sakura to cackle. 

 

“Oh my cats, I thought you never curse.” The Japanese took a swig out of Eunbi’s jjampong. 

 

The older is too enamored to notice that Sakura has been annihilating her food. Unfortunately for her, her gaze has been noticed by Hyewon herself, who looked and smiled back at her. 

 

Eunbi's heart decided it's a participant in the Olympic long jump and it jumped 9 meters straight to Hyewon’s hand. Air has suddenly become scarce and her lungs have forgotten how to even take it in. 

 

She looks like a fish out of water if you ask Sakura who is happily taking Eunbi’s food out of her bowl. 

 

Eunbi quickly averted her gaze back to the jjampong. She looks up to Sakura who is about to eat the piece of shrimp she fished out of it. 

 

“You look as red as this soup base, you know?” 

 

“Yah - Kkura-yah.”

 

“I’m not lying about your face.” Sakura laughed, “So what’s with the denial?” 

 

“She’s a girl, Sakura.”

 

“And?”

 

That question is akin to cold water dumped over her head - because why? 

 

She’s not unfamiliar to this fluttering feeling, despite this time it's amplified to the power of 10. She’s not naive to think this is something else and literature has guided her to what exactly this thing that is making her heart do break dance whenever she sees the said beauty. 

 

“If she’s a guy named Hyesung, would you have admitted to having a stupid crush? You never denied this much before.” Sakura raised an eyebrow. 

 

“I..” 

 

This interrogation is taking a toll on Eunbi. To be fair the previous cases are never this intense. Sakura is correct though - she welcomed those rumors openly … because they are of XY chromosome. Now if Hyewon is a guy she would never find it odd , that's what she thought but also if Hyewon’s a dude she would never notice…

 

This realization hits Eunbi like a meteor out of Jupiter. 

 

“You never really been this interested in anyone before - even with dudes. Ms. self proclaimed straight as a pole.” 

 

“My head hurts.” Eunbi cupped her head, “As far as I know I’m... I don’t know anymore.”  

 

Sakura was about to add more piles of bricks but the older motioned to her to keep quiet.  

 

“Are you scared?” She asks devoid of the teasing tone she had the entire time. 

 

Eunbi nods.

 

“I’ll be frank, as I see it your hangup is not that you like someone but more the fact that this someone is a woman.” 

 

For a moment staring at Sakura’s ever inquiring eyes, scares the out of Eunbi. The Japanese can see deep into her soul. 

 

“Denying won’t do you well, it  won’t make you any more straighter. Hell - it just made me realize I’m as bendable as this ruler.” Sakura started demonstrating the bendability of her flexible curve ruler. 

 

Eunbi groaned, she has no energy to debate that point. Sakura has won this round ever since she asked her to look to her left. Afterall what she’s fighting is not Sakura but herself, this feeling inside and the ugly reality she’s starting to acknowledge. That ugly reality is not the fact that she’s been enamored by Kang Hyewon. Who she only talked to once when the latter dropped by the student council room on her first day in this school.  That’s not the ugly reality, that’s the cute reality - the ugly reality is she can’t come forward yet, to truly accept this possibility. 

 

The president of the student council might not be that straight, afterall.

 

Eunbi ate whatever was left of her jjampong in relative peace while she watched Sakura struggle in fending off the guys who were asking for Chaeyeon’s number.

 

“If you want her number, ask her. I’m not gonna give out my best friend's number without her permission.” She huffed to one of them. 

 

Eunbi glared to the boy, making him scurry up to the corridor fast. 

 

“They only wanted to get into her pants, as if Chaeyeon has any interest in sausages.” 

 

Eunbi chuckled at what Sakura had just said. 

 

“She’s too whipped to even look at anyone else, let alone men.” Eunbi started cleaning up the table. “Why don’t you just fully claim Chaeyeon as your girl?” 

 

“Eunbi - is that something you even need to ask? Ignorance is a bliss or more like,” Sakura closes the distance between her and Eunbi, “You already know why, that’s where your hangup lies, right? It’s the thing you are scared of.”     

 

Eunbi will be honest, for real, this time. Those words stabbed her deep. 

 

“Let’s go pres, we’ll be late.” 

 

To forget about her worries, Eunbi spent her time solely focussed on her classes. She plans to spend the rest with her head deep into her student council duties.

 

As soon as her last class ends, her feet bolt out of the classroom like a rocket. Leaving a bewildered Sakura behind - who is also part of the council. 

 

Eunbi headed straight to the lockers, her’s is at the corridor where there are a good number of students passing by. She quickly dropped by the wash room and fixed herself in an attempt to appear proper, to appear the perfect Kwon Eunbi. 

 

There is nothing less she wanted to be seen other than perfect. Partly for her parents but mostly for herself. It's more for her own ego. She does enjoy the admiration that comes with her position. 

 

Whatever it is that's stressing her out, she’s not gonna let that show on her face or gestures. 

 

She walked the corridor like she forking owns it, of course freaking owns it. To her locker she goes but you will not be judged to think she’s walking on a runway. 

 

She opens her locker and checks herself in the mirror. She smirked. Still the perfect Kwon. 

 

“Uhm. E-excuse me. Pre-president.” 

 

Eunbi felt her heart jumping straight out of her chest. For some reason even if she hasn’t seen the person’s face her heart has decided it’s time to place itself on a golden platter - ready to be served. No matter how gross that vision is.  

 

The voice enchanted her so much that she has forgotten what air is. She turn around to face the source, ready to battle it equipped with her best Ms. Perfect smile. 

 

Well - she’s beaten after a second. She has now completely lost herself into the eyes of this stranger. She has caught herself looking at every inch of perfection in front of her.

 

“President?” The girl tilted her head.

 

“Ah.. Im sorry. What is it Kang Hyewon?”

 

“You remembered my name.” Hyewon's face lit up and if Eunbi blinks she swears there are angels playing tune just behind her. 

 

Hyewon is a bit awkward, it is something she had noticed before - don’t ask her how. The younger for sure has ways with words and makes you comfortable in seconds. She has a presence akin to the warm morning sun. She can make your defenses drop with her smile and soft voice.
 

“Ofcourse, I do remember your name. I'm the council president. It's my duty to ensure and check that you are adjusting well in this school, and beside my roommate is a classmate of yours- she does tell me about you sometimes.” 

 

“Ch.Lee Chaeyeon right?” Hyewon said, “She’s the one who told me to go to you.” 

 

Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon. Eunbi couldn’t decide if she should be angry or thankful to her roommate. On one hand - the person who’s the subject of her worries is now in front of her on another hand, she is having a hard time trying to compose herself. 

 

“Is there any problem?” Eunbi wanted to curse herself as those words came off sounding very forced. 

 

“Well I decided I want to join the contemporary music band, I heard they have access to recording and music production equipment. It’s just that I found out that the slot for the band is full and they are not accepting unless I get recommended by someone. So.. if you don’t …”

 

“If I don’t mind?” Eunbi raised her right eyebrow. She internally slap herself, why in the world is her default nervous tone is that of with anger issues. 

 

Eunbi tried to put her professional smile, the smile of the student council president. “I don’t mind Ms. Kang. I have a few minutes of free time and it’s on my way to the council office. I can accompany you there right now.” 

 

Eunbi tried to offer her hand but before she could do it - her flimsy heart reminded her that time is relative. The younger face lit up once again, her smile wide and her eyes turned to crescent - the excitement in her voice was all that filled Eunbi’s head. 

 

The kind of show of happiness that is taking her breath away. More than all the Hyewon she had caught glimpse of. This Hyewon who is awkwardly squealing wrecks her list a hundred percent to the sun. 

 

Eunbi felt herself being engulfed into a hug like a nice comfortable blanket in a cold night.This warmth is Hyewon. 

 

The thank yous and giggles of the younger girl went past Eunbi’s ears - as her head tried to process this overwhelming stimulus. Her heart beats erratically - it seems that it’s too happy and it might as well have learned to breakdance.

The scent of spring, of woods, the forest with sweet citrus undertones, made Eunbi’s head spin and the butterflies in her stomach all decided they were gonna sing orchestra at the tune of Chopin’'s Fantaisie Impromptu.  

 

Eunbi finally understands that even if this feeling is not at all that foreign to her everything about it seems new. Everything is a first.  

 

“President, are you ok?” The younger cuff her face out of worry. The skinship is not unwanted. 

 

“Ye-yes I am. I-I’m just a bit tired.” She tried to reason, “So are you good to go.” 

 

Hyewon nodded furiously and Eunbi found that charming.   

 

The walk to the clubroom is uneventful, that is if you don’t count Eunbi’s internal struggle. 

 

Her heart beats to the beat of syncopated drums. She can’t help but steal glances to the person beside her, and hell - her heart skips whenever the younger looks back to her. 

 

Yes uneventful to those outside - but not to Sakura who if you ask - would have pushed the two together. To her view they are playing charades - if you know, you know. She flicks her phone and messages her lover. 

 

Don’t get her wrong she’s not playing cupid. Those two have the attraction equivalent to neodymium magnets. She doesn’t need to do much.

 

Eunbi knocked at the innocuous looking door. She took Hyewon’s hand to guide her inside as the younger got attacked by nervousness. 

 

“Is this really ok, president?”

Eunbi chuckled, “Where’s the confidence, Ms. Kang? They are not gonna eat you - beside that member limit is very artificial.” She grinned. 

 

Eunbi is too blind to notice the blush spreading to the younger’s face. 

 

Hyewon glances at their joined hand and she’s not gonna lie she’s disappointed when the older let it go. She’s loving every moment of it. 

 

Inside the club room they are welcomed by tinkerbell? Someone tiny. Hyewon is not voice that loud - but this one is really cute. 

 

Tinkerbell welcomed her with a glare while its totally opposite reaction to the president. The president is very much loved by the student body.

 

“Nako! Don’t do that, she’s not here to harm anyone - she wants to join.” 

 

“Hyewon-ah~” That sounds so sweet that it felt like her heart was attacked. She tried her best to hide the blush that’s spreading across her face. 

 

Hyewon had learned that Eunbi is part of the said band but abdicated her position as the club president when ran as the student council president. She’s still part of it but duties had taken her time away from the it.  

 

Hyewon was introduced to the member, there is Nako - the tinkerbell, who mostly plays brass winds but also subs in as a keyboardist. There’s Nako’s best friend, the percussionist Hitomi, who managed to look cute and intimidating at the same time. There’s the vocalist and keyboardist Yuri, who showed great interest in her. Then there’s the girl that Yuri has a cute bickery dynamic - the clumsy guitarist Minjoo. Clumsy because she practically tripped twice in a span of seconds as she tried to welcome Hyewon.

 

“These four are classmates.” Eunbi pointed out,” and those two who bicker alot, they are childhood friends - tired of each other probably.” 

 

Hyewon cackled. She found that funny even though no one else in the room did. It took awhile for her to compose herself, “I thought there would be more.” 

 

“Oh, there are - this is just one of the several bands under this club. They have different meeting days.” Eunbi explained. She then clapped her hand, “Where’s Chaewon?”

 

“I’m here.” A girl with an elf life feature entered the room. 

 

Hyewon knows who she is - It’s Kim Chaewon -she is from a different class but same year as her and has been described to be one of the muses of the school. 

 

“What is it Unnie? Who is this?” Chaewon pointed to Hyewon. 

 

As much as Hyewon is a soft hearted child, that hurt her a bit. Sensing her distress Eunbi was quick in scolding Chaewon. “Yah-Chaewon ah. That’s not very nice.” 

 

Chaewon pouted, “Well I was not expecting you to bring in a referral. You know I added the requirement because there is a lot who show up the first few days then ghost us after. It screws with practice.” 

 

Hyewon zoned out of their conversation but maintains her eyes focused on Eunbi’s action. She really had it hard on the council president though she was told that everyone goes through a Eunbi phase. 

 

“Allright, alright I understand.” Chaewon muttered before switching her attention to Hyewon. “What instrument do you play? ” 

 

“Bass Guitar.” Hyewon replied. 

 

“Hmmm, I see- I see.” Chaewon handed her  a registration form. “We usually have tryouts at the start of terms, but since you’re a transferee. I’m reserving the first 20 mins of our Friday meeting for your audition. Is that good?” 

 

Hyewon nodded. 

 

Days passed and Hyewon was eventually welcomed to the club after her stellar audition, and yes as she found out - there are many more members in it outside of the four she met and Chaewon. In fact she’s the 18th member, they are divided to 3 sub bands but do perform as a full ensemble on occasion. 

 

Eunbi made sure that Hyewon would end up in Chaewon’s band, partly because the sub-band is an all girl ensemble and that she’s worried that the boys in other bands would take advantage of her. 

 

Also, “She’s a selfish .” as Chaeyeon put it. 

 

“I heard you’ve started to frequent the contemporary music band. I thought your days with that club have passed.” Chaeyeon sat at the opposite end of the couch with a bowl of nacho chips in hand. 

 

“I just kind of miss it, music has been part of my life as much as dancing is to you.” 

 

“mUsic is mY liFe.” Chaeyeon playfully repeated, “Excuses. I doubt that’s the only reason.”  she teased. 

 

Eunbi hid her head behind her palms.

 

“You are so transparent, Unnie. Just for once admit it. You drop by to see the goddess that is Kang Hyewon. Everyone in my year level wants a piece of her.” 

 

Eunbi glared at Chaeyeon and chuck one of her piglet plushies to the younger’s face, “Don’t speak about her as if she is an object!” 

 

Eunbi’s anger did shock Chaeyeon but instead of her being scared - she found it really funny. She cackled and that might have once again summoned a plethora of evil spirit to their apartment. 

 

“Oh my cat, Chaeyeon. What the !?” 

 

“It’s just so funny.” 

 

“Look- I.” Eunbi struggled to form words, which made Chaeyeon feel slightly guilty for laughing. 

 

Eunbi has started to accept that this blooming thing in her heart is indeed that she's attracted to someone, to a woman nonetheless. It’s a tough pill to swallow somehow for her - she’s still struggling and every time she tries to think about it , her head hurts. 

 

“I never thought I would like her this much. I never thought I would like a girl.” She confessed, “This I don’t know what to make of it for all I know - I’m.” 

 

“Straight.” Chaeyeon interjected. “Nah if you ask me, you’re an Anglerfish.” 

 

“And how does an anglerfish connect to this Chaeyeon?” 

 

“Well you see - Because you can't hate the night - If you've lived your whole life without light.” She started singing. 

 

Eunbi is questioning her sanity, where in the world did Chaeyeon find such a bizarre song about a deep sea anglerfish and happiness and how does that connect to her dilemma? 

 

“What I mean, you never really thought about it - but you know that. Can you go back to the you before who insist that she’s as straight as a pole?” Chaeyeon hummed.

 

She might be a weird fellow but she has a point. Well Chaeyeon has a point, Eunbi can sense the underlying “Been there, done that, 0 of 10 not recommended.”   

 

“You’re as straight as a wet noodle now, there’s no way you get anymore straighter than that.” 

 

“I really regret giving you coupons to that cafe as a peace offering.” Eunbi grumbled.

 

“No taking it back.” Chaeyeon stuck her tongue out, “So what’s up? I heard that she’s inviting you over her place for some club related project.”   

 

“I can’t really escape you and Sakura.” Eunbi sighed, “Please. I’m just happy I found a good friend in her. I don’t want to ruin that. This is just platonic, we are just gonna make a project that's all.” 

 

Chaeyeon, “doubt that.” 

 

Eunbi looks at her offended at what she muttered. 

 

“I mean,” Chaeyeon pointed to her chest, “Tell that platonic bull to this and see how it responds.” 

 

Chaeyeon slumps back to the sofa, “I am now regretting the peace offering.” 

 

Eunbi sighed, “I’m sorry ok. I’m scared. Ever since she came into my life I feel like I lost all control.”

 

“Is that really what scares, you? Or are you scared that if you continue and stop denying that you fall for her harder to the point you can’t turn back the clock. Where you can’t back out anymore. To the point you can’t go back pretending to be straight.”  The atmosphere suddenly turned sour. “Are you scared to be seen flawed?” 

 

Eunbi caught herself almost saying yes but she’s not willing to face the implication of those words. It’s hard to fight the internal prejudice one has - the one that is so casual you rarely realize it’s wrong. 

 

“Tsk. I’m right somewhere deep inside Litlle Miss Perfect -She sees falling for the same a flaw. A dent to her otherwise perfect persona.” Chaeyeon looks straight to Eunbi’s eyes, “That disgusts me.” 

 

Eunbi averted Chaeyeon’s gaze. Chaeyeon is about to leave when Eunbi grabbed her hand. If Chaeyeon is not too whipped to Sakura this scene will be interpreted by the narrator as something heartfelt and romantic. 

 

These are friends trying to bridge the gap between each other, sometimes friendship is as equally dramatic as romance. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Eunbi mumbled. 

 

Chayeon smirked, “What is it? I did not hear it?” 

 

“I’m sorry.” Eunbi repeated with more conviction, “Yes - you are right. I’m fighting it ok. I’m fighting my own prejudice. I never thought I’m doing and believing in things that if you look deep enough are horrible.” 

 

“I know it’s not flaw, it’s not wrong - because if it’s wrong why does being with her feel so right. It felt so right being around her, supporting her, watching her. It makes me happy when she smiles.” 

 

Chaeyeon never banked on that. Eunbi has fallen deeper than she thought - this is not a mere crush, Eunbi has since served her heart.  

 

“I’m scared how they would react, you especially know it.” 

 

Chaeyeon bit the inside of her cheeks. Truth be told she is only out to a few and even her relationship with Sakura is a thinly veiled secret - it still is enough of a secret that it has room for denial. 

 

“Society might have acknowledged our existence; it does not mean they have accepted us.” 

 

“Us.” Chaeyeon chuckled and smothered Eunbi with a hug. 


“Hehey. I thought you were angry at me.” 

 

“I can’t stay angry at you for a long time, I love you - you know.” Chaeyeon peppered Eunbi with kisses, “Not that kind of love since every inch of me belongs to one Miyawaki Sakura now.” Chaeyeon squealed. 

 

It took a lot out of her but admitting felt so liberating to Eunbi. 

 

To everyone in her radius, Eunbi is obviously enamored to Hyewon. She has been a regular again in the club and did some of her council work there. She had occasionally brought in snacks - much to the 12:01z (Twelve-o-onez) delight. 

 

Her former band might not say it out loud but Eunbi is practically hiding behind a very transparent glass. 

 

Today is no different, Eunbi looks forward to stepping foot inside the club. Though there are a lot more council works that needs to be done with the upcoming festival ahead. She’s tired but her happy pill is inside and believe it, to her surprise she can work with the noise. 

 

“Unnie, you look pale.” Hyewon cooed, “Are you sure you're ok?” 


“I’m just a bit tired.” Eunbi tilted her head and smiled much to the disgust of Chaewon who can’t believe what she’s witnessing. 

 

“Who kidnapped our Eunbi unnie and who is this?” she whispered to Nako.  


“Heart has been abducted by someone with the initial of KHW who plays bass for us.” Yuri interjected. 

 

“I certainly miss I'm not gonna get caught alive acting cute Eunbi.” Chaewon handed water to Yuri.    

 

“I do like this one - we get less scolding and more free snacks.” Nako pointed to the haul of snacks that Hyewon has in tow. “If it’s not Eunbi unnie, it’s Hyewon unnie getting us food.” 

 

“Unnie, I think you should eat - that might help you gain some energy.” Hyewon put a sandwich, donut, juice and chocolate bar in front of Eunbi. 

 

She then called the other to take their share and remind them that the cheese bagel is Hitomi’s. 

 

“What is this for?” Eunbi asked. 

 

“You are taking good care of us, so I guess its.. Its a , it’s my way of returning that.” Hyewon struggled to reason. She’s actually a smooth talker, but she forgets language in Eunbi's presence. 

 

“She’s only good to you.” Nako pointed out while she took her share. 

 

“No. she treats us equally.” Hyewon retorted.

 

“Yeah, yeah, she would have forgotten of our existence if you didn’t join us.”  

 

“Nako-yah.” Eunbi hollered. 

 

The cute brass wind player scuffeld to safety behind her percussionist friend. “I’m just stating the truth.” She muttered. Hitomi patted her head to console her.  

 

Hyewon is oblivious to the fact that she was treated a bit more special by Eunbi. To her Eunbi is there to be the light of their band. The older had since taken the role of music arranger and band producer, all this despite the increasing workload from the student council. 

 

Eunbi fell asleep in the council room after getting overwhelmed by work and failing her regular visit in the contemporary music club. 

 

“Unnie.” 

 

She heard a soft voice whispering in her ear, it is a chime that makes her want to continue to sleep but at the same time to wake up to see the source of it. She felt a familiar hand gently caressing her face. The flower in her heart bloomed. 

 

“Mhmhm.. A little more.” she grunted - exhaustion has taken over her body. 

 

Today was supposed to be the day she will help Hyewon out in the arrangement but there is too much on her plate and the world seems to be against her flirting attempt. 

 

She fluttered her eyes open and met Hyewon, who had been watching her quietly.

 

 “Unnie eat this?” Hyewon pushed the bagel and sprite she brought with her to Eunbi. 

 

“That’s so sweet of you.” Eunbi chuckled at how that came off sounding like it was from an old lady. 

 

Eunbi reached out to pinch Hyewon's cheeks and the younger leaned her face to the cup of her palm. Eunbi would have cursed by now but kept her cool, that little head tilt is too much for her poor heart.  

 

The school P.A. system had announced that all students should leave school at once. Eunbi sighed, It pinched her heart that she needs to break her promise to help the younger with her music arrangement. 

 

“Unnie can you go home, alone? Isn’t your apartment far from school.” 

 

“Yes, I can.” Eunbi is a prideful child after all - she stood but stumbled over, thankfully Hyewon is there to catch her, much like in a drama except Eunbi is so light headed that her brain did not give her an elaborate picture as it oftenly does. 

 

“My house is closer, you can stay there till you feel better.” 

 

Eunbi would have declined if not for that tiny voice in her head that said go for it. Even if she does decline it seems Hyewon is willing to drag her till she can get a hold of Chaeyeon to pick her up. 

 

Hyewon’s home is indeed not that far from school - it was about 2 streets and a few blocks and with Hyewon’s car they got there in a few minutes. 

 

Eunbi noticed how empty Hyewon’s place is. It is a decent house - it’s warm and cozy with only Hyewon’s presence there yet also feels so lonely.  

 

“My parents are both currently out of town. I hope you're able to still feel at home here despite their absence.” 

 

“Are you always alone?” Eunbi wonders. 

 

“Yes.” Hyewon started taking some bread from the pantry. “My parents are  always out for business so I’m left here alone most of the time.” She put the platter on top of the coffee table and sat in the chair beside the couch. 

 

“Don’t worry my friend Yena comes over to accompany me. She’ll be coming over today.” She smiled. 

 

Eunbi can sense a tinge of pain in her smile. She wants to remove that but she doesn’t know how. For one both she and Chaeyeon are studying far from their home. She was supposed to be staying with one of her Aunts but opted out for the dorm. She understands that kind of wistful eyes she saw of the younger. 

 

She was entranced by Hyewon that it took awhile for her to realize that Chaeyeon had replied to her message. Guess what her prankster friend messaged, it was simply “enjoy” and “goodluck”

 

Eunbi facepalmed much to Hyewon’s surprise. “Don’t worry I’m ok.” She waved her hand. “Chayeon said she can’t pick me up.” She sighed. 

 

“It’s fine, y-you can stay overnight. You can borrow my clothes.” 

 

“Hyewon-ah, you’re my saviour.” Eunbi glomped over Hyewon, sending shock and nervousness to the younger.  

 

Hyewon is now questioning her existence, she saw her phone lit up - she raised it over while she was still in Eunbi’s embrace. The message is from Chaeyeon. Take care of her. 😜 

 

The night will be long, would she want it to end?

 

Eunbi insisted that since she’s there already - she’s going to help her with the music arrangement that she needs to finish soon. 

 

Eunbi is now sitting on Hyewon’s bed, beside her is Hyewon with her bass guitar. Eunbi borrowed one of the acoustic guitars Hyewon has. She was lent one of the younger’s hoody. It was a gray colored one with a 1987 print. 

 

Hyewon opted for a plain white shirt that made Eunbi question how the younger can be so perfect in it. 

 

She’s having so much fun that before she knows it they finished the music arrangement and they had since moved to arranging a composition made by Hyewon. It’s a more energetic song and Eunbi is in love with it. “Sing it.” 

 

“No no I can’t sing that well.” 

 

“I’ll just play guitar, then you sing or I’ll ask Yul to sing it for me.” 

 

“But I love your voice.” She squeezed the younger’s hand.

 

“You are just saying that to make me feel better.”  

 

“No. I meant it. I love your voice.” Eunbi lifted Hyewon’s hand to her lips. She doesn't know what kind of spirit possessed her to have this much courage. 

 

Maybe it’s the atmosphere or it’s the smell of sandalwood and vanilla from the scented candles. Whatever it is her heart is going for the kill. 

 

She looks at the younger's eyes slowly getting lost at the moment. Her eye’s wander to the younger’s lips, she gulps. It’s like everything in the world is pushing her to go for it. 

 

She looks back at Hyewon’s eyes, she knows it - she feels it. They are getting pulled closer to each other. Their faces are mere centimeters from each other, about 5 maybe. Closer, she swears she saw a slight smirk from the younger. It's the same for her - she feels so triumphant. So triumphant that she hears trumpets sounds and angel singing. It’s probably the most nervous she has. She has kissed someone before but this felt so different, so new to her. The younger just as much and deep inside Eunbi’s heart she’s hoping that it means they felt the same way about each other. 

 

It feels so good and they pull each other closer. She doesn’t want the night to end.

If it’s wrong to fall for you then I would rather be wrong and be with you.

 

“Hyewon-ah, are you in your room. I have cola and chips, let's watch-”

 

The door to Hyewon’s room swung open. They are caught in compromising positions. 

 

“Yena-yah!” Hyewon shouted. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Yena bowed and quickly locked the door. “If you have guests over you should’ve told me earlier.” 

 

“This is not what you think!” 

 

“No- it is what I think it is.”  

 

Eunbi can imagine Yena pulling her tongue out on the other side of the door. It scared her when Yena saw them but Hyewon's hold made her feel secure to the point that every fiber of her body relaxed. 

 

“I’ll be on the couch. Feel free to join me when you’re done.”  

 

“Geez. Yena!” 

 

Hyewon would love to run after Yena, but for some reason she doesn’t want to move. 

 

It’s maybe due to exhaustion but Eunbi had started snoozing beside Hyewon. It made Hyewon chuckle. She fixed their position and made sure Eunbi is comfortable beside her and even if she wanted to join Yena, the older doesn't seem to want her to move. 

 

It feels so comfortable. 

 

Hyewon hummed and sang the song she wrote, she kissed the oldest temple. She gently caressed Eunbi’s hair. Amid Yena’s teasing, she liked this. She wishes for this to not end, it’s almost like a dream. 

 

“I like you, I really like you, unnie.” She whispered as she too drifted off to sleep. 

 

The school festival meeting has filled up Eunbi’s schedule. Despite this, she found time meeting Hyewon. It was obvious enough that rumors started flying. 

 

The council president is a lesbian?

 

I heard she's bi.

 

She had heard those questions, at this point she is not yet sure but that is close to true. It scares her though, she is not yet prepared.  

 

“One more time you insist you're straight and I'm really going to sell you an ocean front property in Arizona.” Chaeyeon scoffed, “The closet is a comfortable place but don’t get to used to it, it’s suffocating. Be thankful that you can realistically come out without fear you’ll get kicked out of the house.” She advised the older.

 

All Eunbi can do is pat Chaeyeon’s head. 

 

She’s in the dance crew room that is headed by Chaeyeon and is checking on their progress. 

 

She had gone classroom to classroom, clubroom to clubroom. Everytime she caught a glimpse of Hyewon. She would wave a smile at her. That’s her relief on this busy day. 

 

They are at the point where they have admitted to themselves that they like each other. It’s a natural progression but they haven’t said it out loud. They are way past being friends and kisses come by naturally to them. 

 

“Hyewon is really popular, isn’t she.” Sakura muttered. They are currently at the council room working on papers. “12:01z are such head turners they have Minjoo, Hyewon and Chaewon. They are some of the prettiest girls in the campus.” 

 

“What do you want to imply?” 

 

“Ask her out.”  

 

“I-”

 

“Shh- don’t tell me you still don't think she’s interested in you. Cheesus you guys eat each other's faces on a pretty regular basis.” 

 

“Why do you make it sound so lewd?” 

 

“Eh whatever. Hyewon is probably gonna get asked out by others for the end of festival dance. I’m just saying there is a chance she will agree to go with someone else if you're not gonna step out of whatever chest you are currently in.” 

 

Eunbi lowered her head. 

 

“Does that idea upset you? She probably wants to invite you but considering between the two of you, you’re the one with a reputation to care for and based on what I‘ve seen Hyewon would protect you before she protects herself. ” 

 

“Is that the same with you?” 

 

“Me and Chaeyeon already had an agreement.” Sakura forced a smile, “Can we go back to work?” 

 

The words of Sakura gnawed at Eunbi’s consciousness. She sees the situation of her friends who despite being official is not at the point they can safely show their relationship to the world. 

 

Eunbi had heard of boys and even girls wanting to ask Hyewon out for the dance. She can’t imagine seeing Hyewon with someone else. Hell she doesn't want it to happen. 

 

Just now she had turned down 5 people who had asked for her hand and she was surprised to see a girl asking her. 

 

“Of Course they would ask you. You’re really pretty. They probably have no courage before thinking they don’t have a chance.” Hyewon mumbled in between bites of cream puffs. 

 

“How about you? Has anyone asked you?” 

 

Hyewon nodded, “I turned them down. I’ll just attend the end of the festival dance to play with the band then go home after.” 

 

Eunbi smiled, that was such a relief. Still she can’t remove that possibility from her head. 

 

Seeing the worry in her eyes, Hyewon looked around. when she’s sure there is no one there to see them - she stole a kiss. “Unless it’s you, I don't plan to go with anyone else for the dance but I’m not gonna force you to come with me.” 

 

I know you have a reputation to care for. 

 

Hyewon did not voice that out but Eunbi did feel it trailing off Hyewon’s words. 

 

It floats on to her head. All of this worry she has are all hooked up to that reputation. The reputation of Little Miss Perfect. 

 

She stood up at the podium of the morning assembly. She scanned the student body and saw Hyewon cheering her in her own little way. 

 

She thinks about it hard. She had heard plans of one of the top athletes in school to ask her to the dance - they plan to pull it in this assembly. She saw them prepare out of the corner of her eyes. 

 

She is now standing in a forkroad. Accept the invitation and solidify the idea of her being straight or… or... 

 

She stood straight and delivered the notes and reminder to the student body. Things about the booths, finalizing line up for the main  show, who is gonna perform at what stage.  She ended her note and she saw the entourage make their move to ask her to the dance publicly. 

 

She bit the inside of her cheeks and closed her eyes. She’ll be screwed nonetheless so let it be that she screw herself instead. 

 

She took a deep breath, “And also.” 

 

The student body was taken aback, they thought the student council president speech is all but over. 

 

“Kang Hyewon of section 2-B.” 

 

Everyone's focus is now on Hyewon. 

 

“Can you be my date for the upcoming dance?”  

 

Murmurs flew. So it’s true. 

 

Hyewon stood up, she’s uncomfortable with this kind of attention but she pulled out all the courage she shouted. “YES! And unnie can you officially be my girlfriend?” 

 

Eunbi answered back, “Of course let's make this official, I will be your girlfriend.” 

 

The murmur grew loud, there were groans some were disgusted but there was also an audible cheers. The members of 12:01z, Sakura and Chaeyeon stood up and led the cheers. The rest of the contemporary music, dance, theater and literary club also joined in. 

 

Too bad to the boys that wanted to ask them out. It seems the two most popular girls in school ditch them and decide to be with each other instead. 

 

As Eunbi expected she was scolded. To her surprise she was let off lightly by their principal, Ms. Kim Yongsun. 

 

She apologized to the woman, who she felt she had disappointed greatly. 

 

“That’s really brave of you.” 

 

“Cheesus fries Chaeyeon. I almost got a heart attack from that.” 

 

Chaeyeon laughs at Eunbi’s exaggerated reaction to her presence. 

 

“Unnie, Thank you.”

 

“Huh? What do you plan to do? Don’t tell me you are about to do something stupid.” 

 

Chaeyeon nodded, “I’m going to ask Kkura to the dance.” 

 

If she was courageous to what she did then more so is Chaeyeon. There is more at stake for her. Eunbi mouthed goodluck before going on her way to meet Hyewon. 

 

“What did you like about me?” She’s watching a drama with Hyewon at the younger’s house. 

 

“I.. I- actually like you the first time I saw you.” Hyewon admitted. “I saw you and Chaeyeon together so I asked her about you, turned out you were roommates.” 

 

“So she’s been our cupid since the start.” Eunbi giggled, “I wish things turned better for her.” 

 

 “She’s with the Miyawakis now, isn't she.” 

 

“Yeah that’s a far safer place for her. Chaewon and Hitomi took her place as my roommate.”  Eunbi murmured. 

 

“I guess the world is still learning to accept us huh.”

 

“It's still a long road, one I’m willing to take so I can be with you.” Eunbi gave Hyewon one deep passionate kiss, one of reassurance. 

 

She’s not so perfect to the eyes of the world anymore but it feels perfect spending the night with Hyewon. She chose the latter and she has not regretted that since. 

 

“So you’re not Little Miss Perfect anymore?” 

 

“Hmm yeah, it's Little Miss Perfect with you now and I like the sound of that better.”