00 Travel Across

River and Rain

 

There was once a traveler who traveled across kingdoms, searching and searching and searching. 

 

For what? 

 

No one really knows. 

 

The traveler won’t speak about it,  not a single word has been spilled and  no soul alive has learned of what it is. It was a secret kept to the deepest depth of her heart. 

 

The traveler is alone in her journey. From time to time she would find a soul that accompanied her for short stints, but as she put it - in her words - “Goodbyes are inevitable.” 

 

It was from these people that her legend grew. 

 

For the traveller herself, she is a beauty, they say. In a way truly captivating. Somewhat an outcast to the outside that has become her domain. It was, afterall uncommon for a woman to be out travelling on their own to seemingly nowhere in the great plains.  

 

Her expression on the other hand doesn’t let you in, in her thoughts. She is not letting a single drop of worry show in her face. Her eyes though speak of different words. In those brown pools, you’ll see how deeply passionate yet full of longing she is.  

 

She is a magus of great strength and ability. A fearsome monster to some and yet to others she’s a healer, a medic of sorts - providing help to those in need that she happens to stumble on her way. Despite this capacity to perform great feats of magic, she has learned the art of knives.  

 

She’s clouded in mystery much like the cloak that adorn her body. Though cold, she may appear, those who touch hands with her would vouch for how warm the traveler is. 

 

They’ll vouch how her presence is full kindness and warmth.  

 

The traveler is not privy to the details of the places she walks and the battles she has lost and won. In fact, given the right feast and traveler would tell, in great details, the places and people that have left a mark on her. 

 

Yet ask her about where she is going and she would simply say, “to where my life is.”  

 

Life. my life. 

 

Mayhaps the destination of her journey is a secret that she can never tell. Others have speculated that perhaps on the simplest term - the traveler just loves travelling. That there is no reason other than the sole love of exploration. That for all this time, the outside, the great plains has become her home. To which the traveler once replied, “Outside is not my home, my home is not here. I’m looking for it - looking for home, but home is not a place I can define nor something I can locate on a map.” 

 

The traveler doesn’t stay long in one place, she bids them goodbye, quite like the gentle wind trying to find a place to rest. 

 

“My home is calling me.”  She says and she would disappear again. For every new place her foot set, her legend continued to grow. 

 

To this day,  the traveler is still looking, trying to find the place she calls home, a home that can’t be defined by a marker on a map. Everything turns to hum as she travels the lands to her destination.

 

~~~

 

Everyone stood in awe at the bard's voice and the way he stitched his words. 

 

The inn starts buzzing loud again as the patrons talk once more about their stories, the bard starts strumming and hums the song of the people.  

 

The barkeep poured mead for the patron quietly sitting on the stool beside her, “The traveler is truly enigmatic, isn’t she? Here’s your drink, Miss.” 

 

The patron, clad in deep red cloak, smiled. “Yes, I guess, I can’t really judge - but you do have a talented bard in your inn, that’s for sure.” 

 

“Thank you,” The barkeep nodded. “Are you going to stay the night here?” 

 

“Yes, if a room is available for someone weary like me.” 

 

“Consider yourself lucky we still have a room available for 2 silver. Add 2 more and you’ll get breakfast and lunch included.” The barkeep fetches the key and opens up his book.  “It is such an unusual sight.” 

 

“What’s unusual?” 

 

“A woman traveling alone, like you. Just like in the story.”

  

“Could it be the story has inspired women like me to travel.” The patron smiled, entertaining the amusement of the barkeep who is also the innkeeper. 

 

“Perhaps.” the innkeeper started writing. “What should I call you?” He slid down the paper for the patron to sign. 

 

“They call me River - It was because I was from a riverside town, it’s not really my name but i prefer to go by that now. You don’t mind right? ” 

 

Though the patron is gentle, she does have a threatening aura around her. The innkeeper did not delve much about her name, it was not uncommon for travellers to conceal their identity. The patron, though an unusual sight, is just one of  the many. 

 

River, as she wants to be called - pulled out her purse out of the pocket of her cloak, “If I add 2 silver more I get to have as much food as I want for breakfast?” 

 

“Yes, as much as you want. All the bread, mead and meat you can eat.” The innkeeper confirmed, deducing that the woman is not capable of eating large quantities of food. 

 

River signed her receipt and stamped it with the symbol of her guild. It stirred up the innkeeper's attention, it is at this point he noticed that the pattern of the cloak also belonged to that guild. 

 

“You’re a Magus?” 

 

“No. I just fancy magic. I’m more of an amateur potioneer than I am a magus.” 

 

She gave a dry smile of acknowledgement, wanting to drop the conversation for another time. The innkeeper on the other hand is curious, way too curious for River’s taste. 

 

“So where does a potioneer like you are going? Looking for something perhaps?” 

 

“I’m looking for Rain?”

 

“Rain? Is this a person? A lover?” 

 

The woman chuckled, she was not really in the mood to tell stories but the playful inquisition of the innkeeper is  welcoming her to start. 

 

“Hmmm. It’s more of a. How should I put it, I really want to see the falls up the mountain here. They say that if you see it while it’s raining that you’ll witness a miracle. As potioneer I'm more interested in the water.” 

 

It’s a bit of a lie because Rain is not the literal rain. Rain is something else.  

 

“Did your guild send you on this journey? isn't it reckless of them to send you alone?” 

 

“No. No. I’m like the river , I go where my heart tells me. I’m just waiting for my rain.” The woman chuckled. “Now can I get my key? I would love to take an early rest.” 

 

The innkeeper reluctantly let go of the key and reminded the guest of things she needed to remember on her stay.

 

The guest heads out to her room. Unpacking her things and preparing her clothes before heading out to the bathhouse. 

 

She secured the ones she valued the most, a locket, her dagger, and her staff and laid them  on her bed. She chuckled to herself, listening to - in her opinion a largely embellished story. 

 

Yes she’s a magus but she doesn’t consider herself all that great. 

 

If I’m really the great magus of the story then I should’ve found Rain right now but i haven’t. 

 

She dip her foot slowly into the steaming water, testing it before fully submerging her body. She washes away the dirt on her skin and traced the scars of her journey.

 

Come here. 

 

She heard the voice. Say what you will, say it out loud, say that she’s crazy but it was that voice that kept her moving. It has been calling her for a while now and the sound of it is getting louder and louder, nearer and nearer. 

 

She let herself drift off to sleep - her body and scars ache as they remind her of their story. Nothing hurts more tough than her heart that is longing. 

 

She dreams once again of that dream. Of the hand that tried to reach her, of the voice that called her name. 

 

It was a day of heavy rain when black hooded priests came to visit their village. A sacrifice was chosen that day, and much to her heartbreak, it was Rain. The rain , not the rain that falls down from the sky but her rain, her one and only rain. The rain that makes the river calm, the one that makes music alongside her. 

 

She did what she could do, blew up things with her raw understanding of magic. She wanted to save her and destruction is what she caused. Yet it was not enough, it was far too late and they took her Rain away from her. 

 

She remembers the hand that tried to reach her, the sound of crying and wailing. 

 

It started her journey.

 

She knows in her heart the person she cried the name under the pouring rain, is still out there somewhere. If not in this world maybe somewhere else.  

 

It was always the same dream. 




 

The morning sun was barely up in the sky when she woke up from the noise made by the patrons of the inn. She stretched up her limbs and started packing her things. It’s another day, a new journey.

 

Covering her body with her deep red cloak, she heads down the diner. She took as much as she could on her plate to the amazement of those around. She needs energy, the following trek will be one of her hardest. She gobbled up the food in front of her and ordered extra. 

 

At the end of it, she finished food way beyond what the innkeeper expected. She took the two silver worth for what it is, she’s not going to stay for lunch at all so might as well eat those portions right now. 

 

She walks the market and purchases loaves of bread, herbs, cheese and some drinks. She hops on a wagon to the first of her destination. The foot of the nearby mountain. 

 

Come ~

 

She heard it again, it’s calming, if she’s being honest. 

 

She started her trek up the mountain. Her feet knew where she wanted to go. All of her lifetime in the universe is guiding her to one place. 

 

The first part of the climb is light for an experienced traveler like her. She checks the sky and references her compass to figure out how much time she has left before darkness. 


“I have more than enough.” 

 

In a more precise way, time doesn’t matter - she’ll get there today if not tonight. 

 

“It’s ending. Soon I’ll see you.” she caressed the locket that continues to be the reminder of what she’s looking for afterall. 

 

She hears the song of the birds and the chime of the falls. Her legs are hurting and looking up to the sky that signals to her it is noon. She walks towards the sound of the falls. 

 

A light rain started to fall. She sat down in a tree shade to watch the falls. Today unlike any other she is at peace. Perhaps deep inside she feels her journey is about to end. 

 

She hums as she remembers the tales the locals told. They said the falls will erase your worries and heal your wounds. Even if she is skeptical she has to agree with them. She feels her scars and wounds are getting better and the fatigue in her legs are gone. 

 

Even if these feelings are mere placebo, she has to take into account the kind of mental healing the waterfalls, the sound of rain and the rainbow that has shown itself has to her. It’s as if the spirit of the woods are giving her signs. 

 

It’s as if they are welcoming her to its bosom, like an old friend long gone. She ate the last slice of cheese and drank some of the concoction  she had purchased down in the market. She refilled her empty bottle with water, and refilled a few little one for potion. 

 

“To the spirits, please guide me.” She offered. 

 

Follow us, you are near, she’s calling you. 

 

For the first time she heard a different voice and one twirl around and she saw playful spirit giggling. Now as a magus she knows it’s dangerous to follow the spirits. She smirked to herself, there is nothing more to lose. She’s going. 

 

Follow them. Come here. 

 

Even if that voice, that sounds like her in one of her lifetime, didn’t tell her to go, she will go. 

 

She follows them up and they in turn help her breach some of the harder parts of the woods. The path they took is unusual, yet somehow she feels safe. They continue till the sun is almost set, continuing till they reach what looks like a woods within woods. A place too deep in the forest that she’s sure she’ll never be coming back out of it again. Honestly - she doesn’t care. 

 

This is your chance. Your chance. Your chance. 

 

Don’t turn back, turn back. 

 

The spirit’s urge her to continue dancing around her and guiding her foot to the gate of this forest within a forest. 

 

“Are you leaving, now?” She asks them.  Determined she may be. She’s still human, capable of feeling fear. 

 

Yes. We can’t go any further.

It is not our domain. 

 

“Am I near?” 

 

You are. 

 

“Wait!” 

 

A gust of wind blew and she shivered. “They’re gone and here I am about to ask them one more question. You can’t really have everything good at once.” She chuckled to ease her nerves.

 

She looked deep into the forest, it was now dark. She could stop now and continue tomorrow but that is not an option she will choose- today she feels her journey is ending. 

 

She looks up to the moon for guidance and it urges her to go deeper. 

 

There is nothing you want to ask that you don’t know the answer. You know why you are here - you know deep inside what you are looking for. Go ahead and follow the path.

 

“There really is no turning back.”

 

She sighed and stepped into the darkness. She conjured a light out of her staff as she continued to climb up. The path started to get darker and tighter. There are more under bushes- it is a path that no one has ever stepped a foot on. 

 

It’s eerily quiet, save for the occasional chirping and wind whistling in her ears. Despite being able to conjure light she is lost in the vastness of the wilderness. Suddenly a wisp pops up - the guiding light of those lost. She’s not sure if it will lead her to her destination or it will lead her to safety outside of this wilderness. 

 

She followed the wisp - blindly. The path seemingly constricts as she goes deeper to where it’s leading her. It’s blue light is playful but has a sense of urgency into it. It’s been hours since she started walking the darkness. 

 

She pays no mind to the scars on her face, her bruised and bloodied hands and her protesting legs. She must continue. Her burning legs ache - but something in her tells her to continue, it is not the voice it is just her own desire. 

 

The wisp pops off of thin air, leaving her with no guide. She sighed and continued where her heart was leading her. 

 

More cuts, more wounds, exhaustion. It doesn’t matter. She feels it, she sees it. The blue of the moon started to fill in the gaps. She’s near - she knows she’s near. Tonight her journey will finally end. 

 

She holds on to her precious locket. 

 

“Finally I’ll see you again.”

 

Tears started falling down her cheeks. Hoping this time she’ll get home. 

 

You are here. 

 

The voice - comeback. It’s her guide to her destination. 

 

Are you ready?

 

She nodded. 

 

The light of the full moon flooded her vision. 

 

Finally

 

There is no time to rest. She drank one of her healing potions and quickly gobbled up some of her leftover breads. She put aside her satchel and took off her cloak. 

 

She’s tired, true. Soon she will be able to rest. 

 

She touched her locket and put it to her lips and muttered, “Hopefully, we will be together soon.”

 

She took her staff and started to trace the symbol on the floor. Something that comes instinctive to her - like there are hundreds of her before that have tried to cross this barrier. 

 

Two big circles, the phases of the moon, the stars and the cycle of season. 

 

She stood in the middle of it and looked up to track the moon. It is welcoming her. 

 

Finally. 

 

Finally. 

 

She kissed the locket once again and put it down. She started her incantations. As the light of the blue tinted moon hits squarely the circle she drew, the symbols and words she wrote lit up. 

 

She knows its time. 

 

She pulled her dagger and with it wound her hand to let blood flow to the locket. More and more symbols lit up.

 

To be fair to the fates, she doesn't know if she'll ever find it - the rain, her rain, or if it was really rain she’s looking for. It’s one long journey and finally she feels that her destination is near.

 

“Wait for me, my rain.” She choked up. 

 

She drove up the dagger to her stomach. The final action she needed to complete the forbidden ritual. 

 

To cross worlds, to meet those who took her - her home. The last piece. 

 

It’s now complete - the shining blue moon, the circle of sacrifice and her - her blood and life. 

 

Will she cross the boundaries, or it was all a lie, that the old ritual was a hoax and she’ll lay here motionless as she closed her eyes. 

 

Either way she gave this journey all she can and it seems she fell short of her destination. 


 

~~~



 

Wake up. Wake up.



 

White filled her vision. She stood face to face with a being of great beauty clad in white and gold whose face is familiar to her but she can’t point where she saw it. 

 

The place is all white and gold with an occasional tint of color somewhere between red and orange. The inner architecture is one she never seen in her life - yet it felt very familiar. It’s what she can consider a palace. 


 

“You are here.” The being spoke and guided her. 

 

“I’ve been waiting for you. I thought you wont make it back. I’m glad you did.” The voice is eerily excited but she doesn’t know who this person is. 

 

“Is not that you don’t know me, you do know me.” The being caresses her face. “Now, do you remember why you are here?” 

 

She opened and found nothing - it was there in the tip of her tongue. 

 

Bi. Rain. Rain. The sound of the rain pattered to her mind.

 

She looks at the beings eyes - brown. She stood the same height as her, their hair the same length. In the deep pools of brown she saw herself reflected. She cinched her eyebrows.

 

“Do you recognize me now?”

 

“Me.” 

 

She is the being, she’s face to face with  herself.

 

“Not entirely.” The being chuckled. It was not a lie - she’s part of this being she is facing one of the many in the universe. 

 

“Now do you remember?” 

 

She nodded. 

 

“Am I near? Will I finally ...” 

 

The being put a finger to her lips. 

 

“Will I see her again?”

 

“Perhaps. They took her away from you, from us and we won't let that happen again if we can help it”, The being smiled. “Are you ready?”

 

She nodded, if this is a dream so be it. 

 

She’ll see the rain soon - hopefully.  She will see her dear …



 

Eunbi.



 

~~~


 

“Eunbi? That Kwon Eunbi?” 

 

She heard the voices of her manager but she’s too tired to open her eyes.

 

“Hyewon. Hyewon-ah.” 

 

She finally opened her eyes and found herself nauseous inside the moving van. 

 

“You better get yourself, ready.” The person beside her reminded me. 

 

“Unnie, is talking about that Kwon again.” She yawned.

 

“She’s a fan.” The driver chimed in. 

 

“It’s a waste her first group failed, ah she’s so pretty.” 

 

“Unnie has a girl crush.” Hyewon muttered while she looked inside her bag for her makeup. 

 

“But you’ve seen her, right?”

 

“The picture, yes - She’s really pretty.” 

 

“Is she not your type.” 

 

“Aish, unnie-” 

 

“Let’s fix your outfit - we are almost there.” 

 

She’s nervous, that's a fact. She is set to join this popular reality competition for some publicity. She doesn’t expect herself to get far. Realistically speaking unless she caught some thunder, her chances, given how unknown her company is, is slim. Surviving the first round is all she wishes for. 

 

With all their gushing, the name Kwon Eunbi, did not escape her mind or her ears for that matter. 

 

“Have you seen that girl?”

 

“The one from woollim?”

 

She heard the staff talk while she waits for her turn. 

 

“Yeah, she looks like a member of that popular group.” 

 

“Right, she does resemble Irene of Red Velvet.”

 

The context of the conversation let her know that they are talking about the same Kwon Eunbi that her manager talked about earlier. 

 

This Miss Kwon better be really pretty in person - her expectations are sky high. 

 

“Ah excuse me.” 

 

Hyewon saw a pretty girl, small face with long wavy hair in a uniform with features that remind her of an elf. 

 

“Ah I'm sorry. It’s not this room.” 

 

The girl quickly turned around and chased a figure, “Unnie- Eunbi unnie.”

 

Funny, that name again. 

 

Her interview is less than ideal, and so is her entrance - she’s way too nervous. 

 

She sat in one of the 101 available seats, and waited as more and more girls entered. Then she saw her walk and she forgot the world. Her breath had been stolen.

For a brief second they lock eyes, it is as if they recognized each other from across the lifetime. 

 

It took a few seconds for Kang Hyewon to fall for the one Kwon Eunbi and she knows she’s not the only one. 

 

This felt different though - it feels like her heart jumps and sings like she found someone she’s been looking for a long time. 

 

Finally she’s not barrelling aimlessly like the river, she has found the music of the rain. 

 

“You should save my name as love at First Sight Eunbi.” The older chuckled, it’s almost two years since that day. 

 

“That’s true, I did.” She’s not gonna tell otherwise. 



 

~~~~

 

 

“That one is brave - crossed barriers and all.” A jet black haired woman wearing a tunic of white, purple and gold sat observing one of the several cosmos of herself.

 

“Indeed.”

 

“What brings you here, Hyewon?”

 

“Am I not welcome?” the being in gold and white with coral colored stone brooch sat down beside the first spirit. 

 

“You have a choice of places to go.”  She scooted near the other and laid her head on her shoulder. 

 

“Chances like this are getting rarer, you know I can only meet you if there is enough of me in this universe that gets to meet enough of you in this universe.” 

 

“And the me’s in the universe are getting weaker, I’m getting weaker. There is not enough of me for all the Hyewon out there.” 

 

Hyewon chortled, those are tragic words but in  a way struck a romantic bone in her heart. 

 

“Eunbi - We are master spirits and as long as my will desires all of me out there will be looking for you. ”

 

“But even us, master spirits, have ends. Most of my iterations are strong headed but many met tragic ends.  If not enough of me comes back I’ll meet mine too.”

 

“Don’t think that way, I’m willing to cross the universe to find all of you that are still out there so that we can meet here again. You’ll get strong again. My love - don’t lose hope.” 

 

“Still a sweet talker in any lifetime, I see.” 

 

“Only to you my one and only.”