prologue

in that tangled web (is you and me)

She once read somewhere that Aristotle sees beauty as something that depends on magnitude and order. “Proportionality and symmetry give pleasure and satisfaction to the soul,” he said.

 

But Wendy knows better, knows that Aristotle was spouting nonsense because if beauty is simply magnitude and order then why is it that grocery stores, with their impeccably lined shelves and neatly arranged goods, are one of the most unsatisfying places on earth?

 

Grocery stores and their lack of beauty aren't the main enemies here, of course, this was Rosie’s fault. It’s a Saturday and Wendy should be at home right now, angrily tweeting about whatever she chose to hate-watch but no, her roommate has found it incredibly alarming that they have run out of bread and “I’m so hungry, unnie, please! You know if I wasn't working on the song I would go out myself! Can you do it just this once, please!” because take out from any store—or just any other snack available in their apartment—apparently cannot satisfy her hunger for the special bread.

 

So now Wendy’s here, an episode behind on her trashy TV shows as she stared at the rows of sliced bread in front of her—eyebrows furrowed and reading at each label carefully because Miss Roseanne Park wanted a specific kind of fancy multi-grain bread.

 

It took roughly 20 minutes of reading and rereading boring labels when she finally saw it—sitting at the end of the second row, looking impeccable as if it's shining under a lone spotlight and getting videotaped for a TV commercial.

 

Wendy pushed her shopping cart with all her might, running as though her life depended on it (it literally does depend on it, though, because Rosie will be murderous if Wendy comes back empty-handed).

 

But the universe, as always, decides to be a little bit of an because someone’s already walking away with the last bag of the fancy bread.

 

“Excuse me,” Wendy pants, catching her breath. Her hand reached out to grab the bag on the poor woman’s cart, “I need this,” she said.

 

Even with those big, squarish pair of designer sunglasses on, Wendy could tell that the woman was frowning. “I already had it,” said the woman, her voice light and airy; a complete opposite of her snobby attitude apparently.

 

“I need it,” Wendy repeated, her tone kinder but more desperate this time. “It’s an emergency.” She’s not technically lying.

 

The woman scoffed, further proving Wendy’s theory that people who wear sunglasses indoors are either hungover or selfish pricks. She’d rather deal with the former.

 

“I don't see how that's my problem,” the woman grumbled before pushing her cart and walking away.

 

Wendy won’t let her go that quickly though.

 

Please,” said Wendy, grabbing the woman’s hand now. She would marvel at how soft it was if she wasn’t sure it’s because the woman probably has several helpers in her house to do her bidding. “Just–just get a different brand or–or go to a different store,” she pleaded.

 

The change in the woman’s posture showed Wendy that she’s really irritated now. “I touched it first.” The woman’s voice is tensed, her jaw set. “So take your own advice, go find a different store and leave me alone or I will call security.” And with that, the woman walked away, taking the prized fancy- bread with her.

 

And, really, Wendy wouldn't mind going to a different, fancier grocery store full of Rosie’s fancy bread but that would mean traveling for another half an hour (or more—because the traffic never works in her favor) and she knows Rosie would already have found something else to eat when she returns. So she dumped her empty shopping basket back where she got it, got in her car, and prayed that she'd come home to her roommate in a good mood.

 

 

And in today’s top story, the much-anticipated movie, Pathos, finally finds their lead star in actress Irene Bae. It was over a month ago when the movie’s original lead actress backed out of the project because of scheduling conflicts and not because she was allegedly arrested for driving under the influence and delaying the movie’s production. But with Bae on board, the movie is expected to kick off next week, putting all eyes on the actress as she gets back on the limelight 2 months after being charged with an assault case—”

 

Wendy turned down the volume of the radio before answering the call. “Hello?”

 

“Where are you?” The voice on the call is irritated causing Wendy to immediately send a silent prayer to whoever’s listening that Rosie spares her just this once.

 

“So, how’s the song going?”

 

“Unnie...”

 

Guess the prayer didn’t work.

 

Wendy slowed her car down before parking it on the side of the road. “Okay, listen,” she took a deep breath. “There was only one bread left in the supermarket and the evil lady didn’t give it to me no matter how much I begged, and I know you really wanted that bread but she was heartless, I swear!” she said in a breath. “And I really don't want to go to a different store for bread, Rosie, I just want to watch TV. And I’m sorry, okay? This has been a really stressful week, and I–I just really wanted to rest today.”

 

Rosie sighed. “That’s okay. I, um,” she was silent for a moment and the only thing Wendy could hear was the sound of running water and some rustling; she’s sure Rosie’s disturbing Joohwang’s tank again. “I’m sorry I forced you to go out. You’re right, it has been a really stressful week and I think I’m just–I kinda took it out on you. Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

“I’m also sorry for making you spend your afternoon arguing with a stranger in the supermarket.”

 

“That's okay,” Wendy smiled. “It’s not like I’ll ever see her again anyway.”