From Under the Christmas Tree

From Under the Christmas Tree

"Hyukjae!" A voice called from the kitchen. "Is this supposed to happen?" 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes from his position on the couch. His boyfriend, Donghae, was supposed to be checking on their Christmas cookies that were baking in the oven. "Can you be more specific, babe?" 

"Come here, Hyukjae!" Donghae called back. 

Hyukjae hesitantly pulled himself and headed towards the kitchen. The smell of fresh baked cookies filled the air as he walked towards his concerned boyfriend. Donghae gestured frantically towards the oven where the cookies were baking. Hyukjae chuckled at the brunet's actions before he opened the oven door and peered in. 

"Donghae! What did you do?!" Hyukjae asked in a panic. The cookies were rapidly rising, more than they should have been. 

"I followed the recipe you gave me." Donghae huffed. 

Hyukjae feigned hurt in response, which earned him a quick slap to the arm from Donghae. "Hey!" 

"Hey you! Look at our cookies!" Donghae responded, once again flailing his arms wildly in the direction of the oven. 

"I don't claim those cookies as mine." Hyukjae deadpanned and Donghae reeled his arm back to give him another arm punch. He grabbed the brunet's arm midair and laced his fingers with Donghae's. "But I'm sure we can fix them." 

Donghae huffed before his hand relaxed gently into the blond's. "We better be able to or you'll be sleeping alone tonight!" 

~~~

They did, in fact, not save the Christmas cookies. The middles were so underbaked that they broke apart when Hyukjae had tried to move them off the sheet.

"You know I was joking about the not sleeping alone thing, right?" Donghae asked with a pout. The two of them were back on the couch, staring at the TV where a Christmas movie was playing.

Hyukjae chuckled. "I know. You can't sleep unless you cling to me." 

Donghae pouted even more. "You can't sleep either, dummy." 

"I know, I know." Hyukjae said dejectedly. He eyed the presents under the tree and came up with an idea to fix their Christmas Eve. "Since I am the one that gave you that recipe that caused our cookies to be ruined, why don't you open one of your presents from me?" 

Donghae excitedly jumped up from the couch before he began to survey the mountain of presents laid out under the tree. Perhaps they had both went a little overboard this year. He reached out to touch a huge present with his name on it until Hyukjae cleared his throat. 

"Not that one." The blond said. Donghae stared blankly in Hyukjae's direction before reaching out for another large present. "Or that one." 

"Hyukjae, you said I could open one!" Donghae whined. 

"You can, just not those." Hyukjae said, laughing at Donghae's pout. 

Donghae scanned through the pile again before he turned back to the blond. "Which one can I open then?" 

Hyukjae pointed his finger towards a tiny present situated on top of all the huge presents that Donghae had wanted to open. "That's the one." 

"This seems very unfair." Donghae whined as he reached for the extra small present that Hyukjae had pointed at. "You said I could open a present but you control which one I open? Very unfair, Hyukjae." 

The blond rolled his eyes and patted the space next to him on the couch once Donghae picked up the present. "I know, I'm so mean. Now come here, babe." 

Donghae sat next to Hyukjae and began to unwrap the intricate present that Hyukjae had chosen for him. Hyukjae smiled knowingly at the brunet as he opened the small box. Inside were two silver engraved rings. Donghae looked up to Hyukjae and then back down to the present with a wide grin on his face. "What is this?!" 

"Just a little something for my love." Hyukjae said with a smile. 

"You want to marry me? We've only been together for seven months..." Donghae said as he looked down at the rings again. 

"No, dummy." Hyukjae responded but quickly backtracked once he saw Donghae's sudden eye widening. "At least not yet. These are just promise rings. As in, I promise we will give married at some point in time." 

Donghae's eyes widened again before he threw his arms around Hyukjae's neck. "Thank you, Hyukjae! You really are the best boyfriend ever!" 

The two of them shared a passionate kiss before Hyukjae grabbed one of the rings and placed it on Donghae's ring finger. Donghae then grabbed the other one and placed it on the blond's ring finger. They both stared down at the rings with elated smiles; happy to be in each other's lives. 

~~~

Later that night while the two of them got snuggled up in bed, Donghae began to stare blankly off into the distance.

Hyukjae lightly lifted the brunet's chin so that their eyes were aligned. "What's wrong, baby?" 

"You know those cookies I made." 

"Yes, the ones you made not even 3 hours ago?" 

Donghae huffed before he continued speaking. "And you know that recipe I used?" 

"Yes, the one that I gave you?" 

"I think I messed it up." Donghae replied with a sheepish grin. 

All Hyukjae could do with laugh at his boyfriend while the brunet blushed in embarrassment. 

I can't wait to marry him.

~~~

Just wanted to write a little something for Christmas since I had the time! I hope it is okay even though it's rather short. Thank you for all the love and support <33