not the fridge

invisible strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To be powerful is to be mysterious.

That’s what Jimin’s dad always said - drilled into his mindset until he grows up. Even when he’s not around anymore, Jimin still obliges by this idealism. Throughout his 26 years of existence, he has never been involved in his family’s (read: dad’s) business until this month.

His family is a little weird, he admits it. Some might describe it ‘dysfunctional’ but vocabulary has never been Jimin's strong suit so he's not sure to be offended or not. His father used to run one of the most powerful criminal organizations in the country. Or, as he liked to call it, ‘profitable arrangements’. That seems to work well in his favor until one deal meeting went wrong and a shooting broke out. His father didn't make it. It’s not a sad loss, Jimin promises. If anything, he’s glad his father could finally rest peacefully. This job hasn’t been kind to the old man or his family. For as long as he can remember.

Now his uncle has taken over, and it’s been 7 years since then. 7 years of trying to get Jimin into the business and Jimin has been more than persistent, but he’s now being driven up to a dead end after his uncle was rushed to an emergency room last week.

His uncle hasn’t woken up since.

“Sir, there's a shipment coming in tonight. Would you like to see the goods before we distribute to our buyers?”

Jimin tries to meet his uncle's secretary in the eyes. He's heard people are intimidated by eye contact if you hold it long enough.

So he holds.

The secretary clears .

“It would be good to get to know the activities,” she says as if trying to clarify her question. “Mr. Park would want you to fit in.”

Jimin wonders if she has meant his father or his uncle. It doesn't matter either way, because both of the men knew Jimin would never fit into their world.

“Sure, why not.” Jimin finally replies. “What time?”

“1 AM, sir.”

!

 

-

 

“Excuse me,” a customer places her coffee on the counter. “I asked for less syrup. This is too sweet for me.”

Yoongi looks at the half-finished cup.

“You ordered Americano. There's no syrup involved,”

She her head at him, “Well, it's too sweet. What are you going to do about it?”

Yoongi resists the urge to repeat himself. He sees the golden retrievers wagging their tails at him and he sighs. He's here for the dogs, Yoongi reminds himself.

“Let me add some coffee to lessen the sweetness for you,” he says and takes her cup. After adding another shot of espresso, he knows it's not the end. But he just wants to watch it happen anyway. “Here you go.”

She takes a sip.

And then she gags.

“Now it's too bitter!”

You're doing this for the Goldens, Yoongi.

“Would you like some sugar?”

“Do you have some syrup?”

The! Goldens!

“Yes, I'll get right on that.”

One pump. Two pumps.

“Here you go,”

She smiles after taking another sip, “Perfect. I'll leave a good review!”

Yoongi watches her exit the cafe. The golden retrievers wag their tails even more as he approaches them. He sighs as he sits down with them, having them all over him, tongue everywhere.

“You guys are lucky I love you.”

 

-

 

Jimin drops by to see his uncle before the shipment arrival. The doctor has told him there's nothing new or unusual about his uncle's condition but things can change any moment since they have no idea what they are dealing with.

“I've never seen this before, to be honest. There's nothing wrong with his body. It's like his body just decided to stop working one day.”

That's exactly what happened.

Jimin nods.

It's true. His uncle is the most healthy guy for someone his age. He doesn't smoke, doesn't drink (not unless it's for business), he eats good food, exercises - heck, he's so busy with taking care of himself he doesn't even have time to date. Jimin's uncle is nearing his 40s and he doesn't even have a wife yet.

How does a man like that just… falls and never gets up like this?

“Thank you, doctor. And I'm sorry for dropping by so late,”

“That's alright. The Parks are our VIPs.”

Jimin nods again.

The Parks are everyone's VIPs around here. He shouldn't be surprised.

 

-

 

His uncle's secretary is already waiting at the dock when Jimin arrives. He doesn't have the word to say—he rarely knows what to say to his subordinates—so he opts to go with a nod.

“How much longer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter