Chapter 1: The House

'Family'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third Person POV

(Chorong is 19 y/o)

A cold and chilly night at home. Chorong didn't want to even move a single inch from her position.

With a blanket covering her whole body, she was listening to the radio while sipping on a drink of hot chocolate in her hands. The radio was her only source of entertainment. In fact, they were quite poor for pretty much any other kinds of entertainment.

"Next up, Korea's Official Teenager's Martial Arts Competition: Taekwondo Match Semi-Finals. This match would be special without the long-time Champion of the matches since..."

"Mmph... Chorong-ah, take a break and move away from the radio! Go out of the house and walk around!" Chorong's father shouted from his room.

A loud bang was heard after that. A gust of wind flew through the living room where Chorong was at. A shiver went down her spine as she froze at her place. She slowly moved her eyes around. After a few seconds of dead silence from the bedroom, Chorong looked over to the back from her mattress.

"I wonder who would be the winner in this match, as the long-reigning player of her age groups did not apply this year..."  

The door was closed.

All that could be heard in the house was the faint shouting coming out from the bedroom and the quiet muffles of the radio.

"Taekwondo Match Semi-Finals - 3 -2- 1- Start!"

"Oh gosh. Seems like I won't be enjoying the night at home listening to the upcoming match. I was quite much waiting for it." Chorong mumbled and turned off the radio, kicking the blanket away. She rose and walked over to the door.

It was locked.

"Great..." Chorong turned around, rolling her eyes, and went back to the living room where she chose the biggest jacket out of the 9 pieces of clothing on the floor beside her mattress, put it on and walked out of the door with a pair of slightly ripped sneakers.

-

Outside the house, Chorong wandered around in the neighbourhood, shivering to the chilly weather. The neighbourhood was quiet and there weren't many people out on such a cold day. Everyone would be having a great time in their houses enjoying hot drinks. Chorong still wasn't very familiar with the place. She only stayed at home most of the time unless there was school or situations like... now.

Her mom and dad fought at least once a week, and every time, she would go around and try to find somewhere to stay for the night. There might be some kind people who would let her into their shops to stay like a shelter from the cold. Sometimes she even had to stay on the sidewalks. Her parents somehow fought for a long time. Every time Chorong arrived home the next day, she would witness a trace of war happened in the parents' room. She would peek inside to see if it was a major fight or just small fights. If it was a big fight, she would have to call the police or the ambulance. But she wouldn't tell her parents that she had seen them fighting over some small things. Her parents didn't know that the smart Chorong knew exactly what was going on in their family. Well, It isn't even a family. In fact, she didn't have a place that she could really call family. Her father would come home late and her mother would scold him for going to too many parties even if they were already poor enough to barely afford a house. 

-Flashback to 3 years ago-

(Chorong was 16 y/o)

"Hey, Chorong! Go and bring another this bag of rice down to the third floor!"

"Chorong-ah, bring lunch boxes over there at the canteen!"

She had been living her life working at her school, having lessons, and going back home just to see her parents about to fight. It was very tiring, and Chorong's parents weren't in good status with each other, yet they didn't divorce as they know that once they divorced, the money will be lost and they couldn't survive for much longer with the money they have.

She was brighter than most of her classmates, so skipping a few lessons to help out at school with a return of some money was just fine. She had quite much of a stable life before her parents decided to move away from their house to a place about 17 km away, where her father's Hapkido lessons would have more people applying. Her father was a Hapkido academy owner. It was a far trip for a family that didn't have a car, and things weren't going as good as they expected. So Chorong had to find yet, another job so her family won't be in a financial crisis. She kept finding different jobs, but the people think that she was young and tiny, so most didn't accept the girl. Chorong had to run after school for hours to find jobs that earned as much money as possible. But even if she was accepted, the bosses would fire her after a while to find stronger staff replacing her. After all, who would hire a little girl who seemed vulnerable to do jobs that usually grown men would do? They would rather find a strong man instead of her...

As she went back home, things were worse, and her parents fought more often.

Chorong didn't know why she was even living in the world when her parents couldn't have needed her. They probably didn't even want a child.

-Flashback end-

"Sure is cold outside here... Whoo..." Chorong wrapped herself with her hands and looked around, hoping to find a place to stay for a while before she goes home the next day. It was already 12 at night, so only a few night shops were open. Every time she exhaled, the white coloured air would appear in front of her.

Some shops were along the road, mostly small shops with people's warm home on the 2nd floor. She had walked for about an hour already, but there wasn't anyone who would take her in for a while. Or rather, she doesn't dare to ring someone's doorbell and risk being treated like a piece of trash.

The streetlights went off one by one, and Chorong being lost in the dark, tried to figure out her directions. She didn't know where she was and was scared to death already. Normally, she would leave an hour earlier at 10, but today she was late. And now she was lost. She went in the wrong direction. She forgot the way home because of her aimlessly finding. She looked up to the sky and prayed for someone to find her. This was her first time not finding a place to stay in deep winter after moving. The last time this happened was when she was 13.

As she followed the streetlights and tried to walk, she felt very cold and hugged the pole of the streetlight, sliding down bit by bit. Soon she was squatting on the floor, holding the streetlight. She had used up most of her energy walking for 2 hours. It was very late indeed.

"Only 2 minutes. 2 minutes and I shall stop walking." Chorong mumbled as she rubbed her hands together, tryin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter