fin

Game-Set-Match

Breathe in. Breathe out. “5-4, 30 - Love”

At the crack of the racket, the ball already making its way across the court, Yoohyeon bounced off the balls of her feet and pulled her racket back. As the ball came back around and reached 2 o’clock, she swung at it, sending it across the court just as fast as it had come at her.

“Never cease to amaze me how she can send a ball cross-court that fast. Especially when it’s not a serve,” Coach Dami said. Gahyeon nodded, amazed, “How long has she played for?”

“Joined us when she was 5. One of our best players, actually. You’d think that she’d agree to go to nationals, yet she chooses not to. ‘I will, when I sharpen up my skills some more,’” Dami shook her head. “What more sharpening does she need? She’s a silver bullet,” Gahyeon stared.

 

The MSB team, led by Coach Dami consisted of 11 players, the main lineup being: Yoohyeon (Singles 1), Siyeon (Singles 2), Yves (Singles 3), Byulyi and Yongsun (Doubles 1), Handong and Sua (Doubles 2), Wheein and Hwasa (Doubles 3). New to the team, Minji and Gahyeon were the team managers, sometimes the swap-ins for a few games.

 

The two watched as Yoohyeon darted up to the net and drop shot a ball. The amount of spin she put on it causing the ball to spin backwards and flying in the reverse direction from her opponent, bouncing into the net.

 

“40 - Love. Time out.”

 

Yoohyeon turned around and walked back to the serve line while her opponent grabbed some water. One more point to go and she was done with this game. Looking around the court, she made eye contact with little Gahyeon who gave her the fighting sign. Smiling, she returned the gesture. Noticing there was only Coach Dami and Gahyeon standing there, Yoohyeon thought to herself, “No sign of her, huh.” She shook her head and brought her focus back to the court.

 

“Dami! Gahyeonie! Sorry I’m late, I was busy making some snacks for the team and I lost track of time,” Minji quickly placed the trays on the refreshment table before going over to where they were standing.

 

“Thank you for making snacks,” Dami smiled. Lips pulled into a slight smirk, she gestured with her head to the court they were spectating, “Yoohyeon’s at 5-4. 40 - Love."

Eyes wide, Minji turned and stared in amazement as Yoohyeon bounced the ball a few times. Ball in her left hand, racket in position, knees bent, she tossed the ball up to a perfect height. Reaching up at the ball, she cracked a spin serve on the ball, the momentum from the swing causing her to lift off from the ground as she served. The minute her foot touched the ground again, Yoohyeon pushed off on one foot and made her way to the net, already predicting her opponent’s move. Ball coming back to her side, Yoohyeon volleyed it into the front corner of the court, too quick for her opponent to reach.

 

“Game and Set, 6-4.” Yoohyeon made her way up to the net to shake her opponent’s hand, the two complimenting each other for how well the other played before going their respective ways.

 

Making her way off the court, Yoohyeon smiled as Gahyeon ran up to her, congratulating her for her win. “Coach, 6-4,” Yoohyeon reported to Dami who made her way over, Minji trailing behind.

 

“Very nice. As for feedback, work on your serves and overhead tosses. Those were the ones that stumped you the most,” Dami said before she and Gahyeon made their way around to the second and third courts where Siyeon’s and Yves’s games were still going on.

 

Minji tucked in a strand of hair behind her ear, smiling, as Yoohyeon approached her. “Good game, Captain,” she handed Yoohyeon her water bottle and threw a towel around the taller girl’s neck.

 

Yoohyeon opened the bottle and gulped down some water before eyeing the older girl and saying, “You missed my whole set though.”

 

Minji looked at the ground, a small pout on her lips, “I know, I’m sorry. I got distracted while making snacks and lost track of time.”

 

Yoohyeon couldn’t help but smile, typical Minji doing typical Minji things. She pats the older girl on the head, “It’s ok, I’m gonna play another set later today,” and watched as Minji’s face lit up. The two walked over to the refreshment canopy where Byulyi and Yongsun were sitting on the camping chairs they brought. “How’d the game go, Cap?” Byulyi, the team’s vice-captain, asked.

 

“6-4,” Yoohyeon grinned, “You two?”

 

“Oh heck yeah, 6-2. Easy peasy,” Byulyi responded, the two did their little handshake.

 

“You ready for the Captains’ set later?” Yongsun asked as she fed Byulyi a bite of her cake.

 

Yoohyeon laughed, “Yeah. Byul and I could probably crush game in under 30 minutes.”

 

The two high-fived again before Yoohyeon turned and went to grab herself some snacks.

 

At the table, Minji held a macaron up to Yoohyeon’s lips, the younger girl biting into it, “Mmmm, Minji, you’re a goddess, you know that?”

 

Minji laughed, “Is it good?”

 

“Too good,” the younger girl nodded and opened again, Minji feeding her the rest of the macaron.

 

The two moved to the picnic blanket under the other canopy with their plates. Tired from her game, Yoohyeon immediately rolled onto her back and covered her face with her hands, letting out a yawn. Minji watched as the younger girl laid there motionless for a bit, “Are you going to eat or do you want me to eat your food for you?”

Yoohyeon uncovered one of her eyes, “Mmmmmm hey, leave my food alone,” she covered her eyes again.

 

Minji simply laughed. When she had just joined the team, Yoohyeon was the one to make her feel welcomed. From the small gestures of getting her an extra cup of water when she played, to offering to practice with her on the weekends, Yoohyeon always went out of her way for Minji, no matter how tired she might have been. Their times spent together, Minji had seen all the sides of Yoohyeon — strong, determined, hard-working, but also caring, thoughtful, sweet, and vulnerable. Maybe that was why Minji felt the way she felt about the younger girl.

 

“Say ahh,” the older girl said. She broke up a cookie and fed Yoohyeon a chunk of it.

Eventually her stomach complained so Yoohyeon got up to actually eat her food. The two sat there and talked about their teammates’ games and their upcoming weekend plans.

 

Head on Minji’s lap with an arm over her eyes, Yoohyeon asked, “Hey, Minji, would you be down to try out the new boba shop with me on Saturday?”

 

Minji smiled, “Yeah, of course.” Thinking that Yoohyeon couldn’t hear her, Minji slightly turned her head and whispered, “I love spending time with you.”

 

Yoohyeon uncovered her eyes and stared at Minji’s profile with her sleepy eyes. “Say that again...?"

 

Everyone has their good and bad days. For Yoohyeon, it’s the stress of improving herself and her skills enough to go to Nationals. She was better than a lot of the local teams, sure, but she knew that there were far more people better than her. There were times she wanted to give in, the hours on end practices of swinging at tennis balls often tore her up physically and mentally. And really, she could have given in, but she didn’t. Not when there was a smiley Minji cheering her on, a happy Minji wrapping a cold towel around her neck and wiping off her sweat saying, “You did well, Yoohyeonie. You’re doing so well.” Without knowing, Minji had helped her through it all. Minji just being Minji was the strength Yoohyeon needed.

 

Minji looked down at the younger girl, her eyes slightly trembling at the fact that Yoohyeon had heard what she said, "I—"

 

“Please, Minji?”

 

As much wanted to fake it, to pretend that the other girl had heard wrong, she couldn’t. Not when Yoohyeon was looking up at her with those eyes. Her soft, vulnerable puppy eyes that Minji had come to love so much. “I… I like you, Yoohyeon.”

 

Her heart skipped a beat when Yoohyeon smiled Minji’s favorite squinty eyed, dimply smile, “I like you too, Minji. Would you, I mean, will you be my girlfriend?”

 

Face turning red from Yoohyeon continuing to stare at her, Minji covered Yoohyeon’s eyes with her hand. “Aren’t you tired? You should nap,” she said.

Yoohyeon grinned, she placed her hand on top of Minji’s and moved it down to her lips, placing light kisses on the older girl’s palm, “Not until you answer my question.”

 

“Of course I will be your girlfriend, silly.” Minji said, she brushed Yoohyeon’s hair out of her eyes, “Now nap.”

 

Yoohyeon placed one last kiss on Minji’s hand before letting go of it and nodding, “Yes, my love.”