fallin'

when our hands touch, will you call my name?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Today is the day, Chaeryeong thinks as she stares at her own reflection in the mirror. Her eyes look tired after an entire day of sharpening moves and singing her vocal chords out, but there’s a hint of determination burning behind the blatant weariness.

She is going to tell Jisu she’s in love with her. 

It’s been years of keeping this secret from her best friend and letting it grow quietly inside of her chest. But the secret is too big now, has creeped into every inch of her body and taken over the depths of her soul, and it feels like everything is two seconds away from blowing into their faces. 

Explosions are messy and loud. Chaeryeong doesn’t like messy and loud, and neither does Jisu. She knows she can’t let it get to that point — the cage needs to be open, the birds need to be set free, and the right time for that is now.

Knowing all of that doesn’t make Chaeryeong any less nervous because, holy , this is happening and it can ruin their friendship, but it’s happening. She can’t be a coward, but she’s a coward. Everything is confusing, loving Jisu is confusing, but it’s oh so painfully good.

If given the option, Chaeryeong would still choose to fall in love with Jisu in a million different lifetimes. She could never, ever picture herself wanting someone as much as she wants her. 

A quiet knock on the door makes Chaeryeong jolt on her bed, shaking her out of her thoughts. She already knows who it is. Something tugs in her chest. “Come in.”

The door opens to reveal Jisu in cute rabbit pajamas and hair still damp from shower, a shy smile playing on her lips. Chaeryeong’s heart skips a beat — is she ever going to get used to such a view? “Hey,” Jisu greets as she makes her way into Chaeryeong’s room, “Yuna was snoring a lot. You know, the usual.”

Chaeryeong giggles, creating some space on the bed so Jisu can slip under the sheets. “I know.”

Jisu buries her head on the crook of Chaeryeong’s neck, both arms wrapped loosely around her waist, and stays there. She has no idea of what the proximity is doing to Chaeryeong’s heart. Or maybe she does, because there’s a frown on her face when she looks up and says, “Your heart is beating too fast,” Jisu points out as she places a hand over Chaeryeong’s chest, “Is everything okay?”

A deep sigh flies out of Chaeryeong’s throat as she puts her hand over Jisu’s, gently caressing her wrist. It’s time. “Actually, I have something important to tell you.”

Jisu is taken aback at first, but soon a sweet smile appears on her lips. “Oh, really?” She returns the caress by letting her hand travel from Chaeryeong’s chest up to her cheeks, the skin with a softness that melts away Chaeryeong’s nerves. “Tell me then, darling.”

Chaeryeong turns into a puddle of fondness at the pet name, and realizes she’s no longer the confident girl from minutes ago. This moment is so fragile, with Jisu’s fingers on her cheeks and starry eyes looking back at hers, and the last thing she wants is to screw it up. 

“Jisu,” Chaeryeong her lips and prepares herself to finally let it all out, “I’m in—“

A loud crash. Then a groan, followed by a whine. A door opens, and there are loud, angry steps on the hallway.

“God! It’s ing midnight. What the hell are you even doing?!”

That’s Ryujin.

“I’m sorry, okay? I needed my snacks!”

And that’s Yeji.

How great. Chaeryeong loves her life, loves her friends even more. She could go and wrap the two into a hug so impossibly tight that would turn them into human crumbs right now. That’s how much she loves them.

Jisu sighs tiredly, dragging a hand through her face, “I guess I’ll go check on those nerds,” then she pokes Chaeryeong’s nose and her tone becomes softer, “We can continue this later, if you want.”

Chaeryeong’s heart sinks. She was so damn close and the moment was so damn perfect. Of course something — or someone — would ruin it. “Alright,” Chaeryeong forces out a smile, and Jisu leaves.


 

 

Chaeryeong was about to fall asleep when she felt her phone vibrate under her pillow. She unlocks the device a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter