Final

Reassurance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Reassurance. Everybody needs it. Nothing hits better than hearing the person you love whisper to you sweet nothings while hugging you tightly after a hard day. Hearing the words, I Love You repeatedly gives your heart the reassurance it needs, taking away every hint of negativity and doubt you have towards your partner. Isn’t that nice? The feeling of comfort and safety in your partner’s arms, holding you tightly just… hits different. But, it doesn’t only have to be between lovers, right? It can be just between friends… right?

A bright, sunny day has come upon the world once again. The peaceful setting, plus the vast landscape outside the window would make any morning better than the last one… unless you’re sleeping in and you hear your annoying alarm clock ringing and ringing as if mocking you for sleeping in. Well, that is what’s happening to one Ahn Yujin, a senior in V. Lossom Memorial College.

“Ughhh… five more minutes!” The still asleep girl said, slamming the alarm clock until it stopped beeping. Silence enveloped the room, signaling Yujin to continue her slumber. Sadly, that never came to be as her door burst open revealing a loud duck and a hamster stuffing a breakfast sandwich into .

“Yujin-ah! Wake up!” The duck said, shaking the sleeping girl. “I think you shouldn’t do that- too late.” The hamster tried stopping her friend but was too late to stop the dog from throwing her alarm clock towards her friend.

“WHAT NOW! CAN’T YOU SEE THAT I WAS SLEEPING!” Yujin said, shouting at her friends who were both surprised and silent. “Uhhh…” Yena couldn’t speak. She knew she shouldn’t have woken up best friend aggressively, especially after the events that happened a few nights ago.

“Still not talking to her?” Hyewon asked, obviously trying to hit certain buttons she knew she shouldn’t press but still chose to do so. “It’s… so early in the morning. Can we not- talk about that?” Yujin said, trying to hide the pain she was feeling. Silence enveloped the room; no one dared to talk after hearing the words that came out of .

“That bad?” Yena asked, becoming serious all of a sudden. Yujin nodded, settling on her bed with her hands covering her face. She didn’t want people to see her vulnerable state, especially if it was because of her. The two girls just went to their friend and hugged her but stopped when they heard sniffling. That turned into weeping… And now Yujin is crying in her best friends’ arms.

 

~Flasback~

            Four days after their semestral break, Yujin wanted nothing more than to spend time with her best friend Kim Minju. Everybody knew they had feelings for each other, they just didn’t want to acknowledge them. Their friend group kept pestering the two to date already, with Chaewon being one of the louder ones to advocate their relationship. They just laughed at it though, thinking that their friends were just teasing them. But at the back of their minds, thoughts were running, feelings were blooming, and cheeks were flushing?

 

As soon as Yujin got home she went to her phone to chat with her best friend who she knew already went home too. “Minmin-ah~” Yujin typed, hoping to catch the attention of the said girl. “Yujinnie~” Minju replied, matching the endearing calls the girl on the phone gave.

“What are your plans this break?” Yujin asked, curious to what the older girl was to answer. “Maybe sleep in? It’s been a while since we got a good night’s rest to be honest.” Yujin can feel the tiredness of the girl so she did the thing she always does when Minju is tired. ANNOY HER.

“Minmin-ah~” Yujin said, starting her annoying streak. “Yes, Yujin?” Minju replied without thinking of any hidden agenda coming from the younger girl. “Minmin-ah” “Yes, Yujin?” “Minmin-ah” “What is it Yujin?” “Minmin-ah” “Is there anything you want to say?” “Minmin-ah” At that point Minju caught on, connecting the dots that were obviously placed on their call.

 “If you’re trying to annoy me, it’s not working.”

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“You’re no fun, hmph!” Yujin sulked, sad that she got caught but is just really teasing her friend.  Minju knew she was sulking, so she knew just the thing to cheer her up. “How about this: we can eat something delicious tomorrow but your treat.” Minju said, trying to uplift the mood. “Sure, but I get to pick the place!” Minju already knew the place the other girl was talking about, so she agreed.

 

A few days later…

“Hey, Minju.” A voice said, slowly getting near the said girl. “Oh, Hyunjin-oppa. It’s good to see a familiar face around here.” Minju shook his hand, relieved to see someone she knew inside the festival she and Yujin were currently in.

“You came here alone?” Hyunjin asked, taking the ‘empty’ seat beside the girl. Everyone in the school knew how Hyunjin had feelings for Minju and how he tried several times to court the girl, with no avail. He still doesn’t give up though, always taking the chance to ask her the ‘question’.

 

“Uh, no. I’m here with-” “She’s with me, Hyunjin.” A voice cut Minju’s statement, a voice all too familiar to Hyunjin. “Ah, Ahn Yujin. What a surprise.” Yujin glared at the guy who was smirking at her.

“Can I join the two of you? The more the merrier right?” Hyunjin asked, trying to provoke Yujin by taking his shot on Minju.

 

“Sure.” “No.”

 

Yujin couldn’t do anything but groan as Hyunjin took her spot beside Minju while smirking. “Better luck next time, kid.” Hyunjin said while ruffling her hair. Yujin was obviously mad but she didn’t want to ruin her best friend’s night, so she just proceeded quietly.

 

Minju and Hyunjin were a having a blast at the theme park, going to every ride, eating at every food stall, and even taking some pictures as memorabilia, all while forgetting about a certain puppy whose imaginary ears are plopped down the whole time.

“They seem to be having fun. So fun she even forgot that she went here with someone.” Yujin said. She was genuinely sad since she planned everything that day; pick up Minju after her basketball pick-up game with the squad, treat her to their favorite tteokbokki place, and end the day at the local festival. Sadly, it was ruined by Hyunjin, who seemed to be more fun company than her.

 

“I’ll just go, they won’t even notice.” Yujin waited for the right time, waiting for the two people to stop at another food stall before leaving. As soon as they stopped at a cotton candy stall, Yujin took one last look… one last look to see if Minju still knows she was there. If she looked at her, she’ll stay but if she didn’t, she’ll leave.

 

Sadly, she didn’t even bat an eye on Yujin which she took as a cue to leave.

 

The night went on, Yujin was walking along the streets of Seoul alone while Minju completely forgot about the latter. “Hey, Hyunjin-oppa. Have you seen Yujin anywhere?” Minju asked, finally noticing the missing girl. “I haven’t seen her since we bought those corndogs about an hour and a half ago.” Hyunjin said, no lie whatsoever since he was also too busy with Minju.

“Let me try calling her.” Minju said as she hastily grabbed her phone from her purse. She dialed Yujin’s number and waited for the girl to answer.

Meanwhile, Yujin was walking aimlessly through the night, trying to alleviate the pain her heart just went through. And as if fate was playing with her, rain started pouring, hard. She took out her umbrella while Minju and Hyunjin shared one.

Yujin felt something vibrating in her pocket, which turned out to be her phone. She looked at the caller and was debating on answering it or not, but the pain got the best of her and she declined the call. Minjoo on the other hand was surprised to see her best friend decline her call when she would always get out of her way just to answer a senseless call sometimes.

“She didn’t answer?” Hyunjin asked, acting worried but in reality was relieved to have alone time with his crush. “No, she didn’t. I’m getting worried.” Minju said, trying endlessly to call Yujin but the latter just kept declining and ignoring her calls. “Don’t worry, maybe she was just tired from all the fun we had. I’m sure she’s safe at her home, resting.” Hyunjin said as he hugged the nervous Minju, which the girl initially declined but melted into the arms of the guy secretly smirking.

 

 

At home, Yujin was staring at the ceilling, replaying the scenes from the festival she just escaped. A deep sigh escaped .

“If you only knew, Minju-yah. I could have been the one sharing the umbrella with you under the pouring rain. I could have been the one who has your head leaning on my shoulders as we watched the fireworks display when midnight struck. I could have been the one… the one who will cherish you and love you in all the ways you wanted to be loved. But sadly, I know you don’t feel that way. I know you don’t see me in that sense. You keep calling me your best friend, your little sister, your little puppy, your Ahn DaengDaeng.

 

 But when?

 

When will you stop calling me those things and instead just calling me Yours? I have witnessed your many heartbreaks, I healed the scars you received from those men who hurt your precious

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter