final

You scare me.

They’re at the annual Halloween party. Everyone and anyone who’s from the industry is here at the biggest party.

 

Their members are happily eating and drinking their hearts out. Sooyoung’s wearing a Miss Korea costume, Seulgi with her y vampire attire and make-up while Yeri’s being a bad this year and decided to be a y Korean Black Widow.

 

Then there’s Irene and Wendy at the far quiet side of the hall, appreciating the vibe of the party and seeking solace in the muted noise and controlled chaos at the same time.

 

Irene claims she’s Audrey Hepburn for the night and Wendy’s dressed in a suit with her hair slicked back saying she’s the Kingsman.

 

Wendy’s been quiet the whole night— no scratch that, the whole week. She’s aloof, spending most of her time outside, in the studio or inside the confines of her own room. Irene wouldn’t be surprised by Wendy locking herself in the studio and in her room since she’s always been like this, always singing her hearts out every single time. 

 

But this time, she knows something’s not right. Wendy’s spending her time inside these rooms and is not singing at all. She’s just there, sitting, and doing nothing.

 

Irene being worried is an understatement. She’s going crazy about it. She wants to ask what’s going on in Wendy’s mind. She wants to talk to her and help her.

 

But she stops herself every single time she’s close to opening the doors to confront her.

 

She’ll tell me when she’s ready. Be patient, Joohyun. 

 

 

So now, they’re here at the far end corner of the party, with nothing but the clinking of their glasses, the party noise in the background. Wendy’s still quiet and has been very reserved.

 

 

She can’t take it anymore, so she faces Wendy who is already looking at her with an unreadable expression.

 

 

 

“You scare me.”

 

Irene hears Wendy whisper it as if it’s a crime to say it. Irene’s confuse and shocked.

 

“I scare you?” Wendy hums, so she asked “Why?”

 

The blonde grabs both of her hands and intertwined it with hers. Irene can feel the coldness of the other girl’s hands and its tremors.

 

“You scare me, Irene. Whenever I’m with you, I feel scared.” she quietly whispers while looking at their hands.

 

Irene’s heart is beating ever so loudly, she thinks Wendy’s preparing her for the worst possible news ever..

 

 

“Is it bad?” 

 

 

Wendy looks up, staring straight at her eyes. Irene sees the blonde taking a shaky deep breath and puts both of Irene’s hands on Wendy’s other hand.

 

 

“You scare me, Joohyun. There’s a lot of people who wants you. They always make an effort to get your attention and hopefully, your heart. There’s a lot of people that can treat you way better than I do. You deserve so much better.“ Wendy whispers in her hands, tears at bay but she continues.

 

“You scare me, Joohyun. I’m always afraid to hurt you. Afraid to let you be in pain. I’m scared you’ll feel these negative feelings and be the one who cause it.” Irene’s breathing heavily too. Now she’s the one getting afraid where the conversation is going. She’s not ready.

 

She can’t take it.

 

She can’t.

 

 

But Wendy holds her hand tightly and kissed it so softly.

 

“You scare me, Joohyun. I always think someone’s going to take you away from me. I’m scared you’ll leave me one day.”

 

Irene readies herself to hear the words she doesn’t want to hear from Wendy ever.

 

She never even dared to imagine it, but alas, here they are. 

 

 

“You scare me, Joohyun...

 

 

 

 

 

 

But I’d rather be scared than being away from you.”

 

 

Wendy looks up at her once again, but this time, with a soft smile and smiling eyes.

 

“You scare me, Joohyun, but in a good way. You make me a better person. You showed me how to face and conquer my insecurities. You showed me what true love is. True love, knowing no bounds, and loving endlessly.” Wendy says much louder than before. She stands up, still holding her hand while staring lovingly at Joohyun.

 

 

“Sometimes the thing we’re most afraid of is exactly what we need to do.”

 

Then Wendy lowers herself, bends down in one knee and looks up at her, smiling widely.

 

 

“Bae Joohyun. Out of all the things I’ve encountered in life, you scare me the most.” Irene takes a sharp breath as she sees Wendy takes out something from her pocket.

 

 

 

“Bae Joohyun, will you marry me?”

 

 

Irene’s lost of words and can’t even form a simple word she want to say. So instead, she ends up nodding her head aggressively over and over again.

 

 

Wendy, wanting assurance, asks her “Is that a Yes?” Irene nods again and pulls Wendy to stand and hugged her so tightly. She can feel the blonde relaxing and releasing a long pent up shaky breath.

 

Irene finally finding her tongue, whispers “It’s a yes, Seungwan. It’s always a Yes.”

 

She can feel Wendy’s lips smiling on her shoulders and feels light kisses on it. “I love you, Seungwan.”

 

She feels Wendy kiss her shoulder one last time and whisper in her ear, “I love you the most, Joohyun.” Then proceeds to kiss her cheeks and slightly lets go of their hug.

 

Irene was so confused but Wendy just shakes her head and takes her hand. “You need to wear the ring to seal the deal,” she says cheekily.

 

She smiles and lets her girlfrie— fiancée put the ring on her finger.

 

Then loud screams and cheers erupts and Irene jumps out of her place due to her surprise but of course, Seungwan’s there to catch her anytime.

 

“FINALLY YOU GRANDMAS! CONGRATULATIONS!”

 

“CHEERS TO THE NEWLY ENGAGED COUPLE! WE CAN FINALLY EAT IN PEACE!

 

“BEST HALLOWEEN PARTY EVEEEER!”

 

Their members shouts, along with all of their friends from the industry and everyone attending the Halloween party.

 

Wendy looks at her now fiancée and agrees with what Yeri said.

 

Best Halloween indeed.