So..

The Rejected Offers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

...

 

 

 

 

 

'I say it's all good but it's never true (oh, no, no, woah)

You and me, what are we if we not together?'

 

- Like Strangers Do by AJ Mitchell

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dahyun has felt that flash of happiness and relief disappear as the negative thoughts came barrelling.

 

 

 

 

 

In a once in a blue moon night out with friends, the worst one could do is...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

sleep with your ex.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Especially when neither of them wanted to see each other. 

 

The two became the type of exes to have acted as almost strangers after calling it quits.

 

 

Dahyun got up and left her bedroom.

Outside is where the air is far more breathable. Leaving behind a mass of brown hair under the sheets.

 

 

 

 

The painful thought was as much as it would be nice to put the responsibility to intoxication, Dahyun and Sana could fairly hold their drinks. 
 

They both know what a pathetic excuse that would be.

 

So why share a bed? Share a night?

 

 

Dahyun would rather focus on making her eggs and stiring her coffee. Dahyun had moved on and so did she. Sometimes it just that.

A questionable night that should pass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sana was mortified. 

 

 

The sun was too bright outside.

 

 

Aside from realizing the damn obvious with the room she was in even though they’ve broken up for more than a year, Sana just had to wake up so damn late. 

 

What’s worse than sleeping with your ex?

 

 

 

 

Oversleeping at her place, the morning after.

 

 

 

 

 

 

She was trying to put her clothes back on as quick and quiet as possible despite the heavy pounding in her head.

 

She tiptoed out the room, making sure she didn’t leave anything behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then as she was crossing the threshold between the kitchen and living room, Sana’s notification went off.

 

 

 

“.” She cursed under her breath but coast seems clea-

 

 

 

 

“Need a ride home?”

 

 

And there goes her ex’s calm tone yet still managed to be teasing.

 

 

 

Sana looked up to find Dahyun in her sleepwear, setting the table. Or more so already finished setting the table.

 

“Uh, hey. I’ll just hail a cab or Uber. Thanks though.”

 

 

 

 

“I insist.”

 

 

 

 

Sana nodded. “Which I’m very grateful for but its really fine Dahyun. Swear."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, at least join me for brunch unless you have to be elsewhere.” Dahyun offered before taking a seat.
 

She was hungry and ready to eat. She had woken up earlier and knew she needed to fill her stomach to be able to process things.

 

 

 

“Again, thank you but I do actually have somewhere to be.”

 

 

 

 

Dahyun smiled.

 

“Okay then. Really sure you don’t need a ride?”

 

 

 

 

Sana met her gaze. She paused thinking over it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But before she could run,

 

“Sana..”

 

 

 

Her name being called out made Sana look back. Her hand on the cold door knob.

 

 

 

“Yes, Dahyun?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I overheard you from Jihyo’s birthday.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sana tried to recall about the celebration one week ago. Jihyo is a common friend of theirs but even Sana was shock to find Dahyun there just like Dahyun was shock to find Sana there. Both have irregular and mostly packed schedules due to nature of their jobs.

 

 

 

 

“Overheard what exactly?” Sana just asked as she struggled to remember.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You with Chae and Momo.” Dahyun felt her voice waver.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What did I say...”

 

 

That’s when Sana finally remembered. Her face falling at the thought that Dahyun had heard it.

 

 

 

 

 

“I- I’m sorry Dahyun. I was just getting them off my back. Sorry you have to hear that.”


 

But did Sana mean it?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dahyun nodded. 

 

 

A week ago she overheard Sana saying to her friends the reason why their relationship only lasted for a year.

 

Sana answered by saying, “We weren’t compatible like even wise and were kind of just wasting time with each other I guess. I have an attitude and so did she.”

 

 

Sana was probably drunk then but that didn’t hurt any less. Dahyun wondered why did she had to hear such things. Because as fas as she knew, she doesn’t care about it anymore. Sana was right on with her words too. Kind of. She wasn't so sure. Different perspectives exists.

 

 

 

“It’s not so wrong though. Just got me thinking.”

 

Dahyun stated but Sana knew better Dahyun was just saying the tip of her thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry Dahyun. It's me being stupid.."

 

Sana wonders really why did she have to hear it. Now, she seemed like an ugly person.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A notification was heard. Sana’s ride has arrived.

 

 

 

 

 

“Me too, Sana. Sorry for the time wasted.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dahyun...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“At least you got it off your chest and we both had some clarity.”

 

 

 

Sana absorbed her words. Dahyun has a point. It hadn’t been her favorite break up especially how they both dealt with it afterwards. But this isn’t how Sana wanted such things to come out. Although she admits she has a fault on how it did.

 

 

 

“I mean maybe we can stop avoiding each other now and join hang out with our friends if we have time. Right?”

 

Dahyun added and stared at Sana. She knew she’s being low and passive aggressive. But her hurt self couldn’t care less.

 

 

 

 

“Right but, I didn’t like how it came out of my mouth. And how you have to hear it like that. I don’t want to make excuses so I’m sorry. Despite the bad things back then, you treated me well still.” Sana wished she sounded as sincere as she felt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I guess I can’t blame you for saying that, its not far from how I pictured us too so I guess I just felt bitter.”

 

 

 

Sana doesn’t know what to reply to that.

 

Her silence was broken again by her phone ringing. It’s her Uber driver.

 

 

 

 

“Also I treated you well because you did too. Despite all the , I loved you.”

 

Dahyun would probably regret saying that so she deflects.

 

 

“And your ride is waiting, Sana.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dahyun.. I loved you just as much if not more. I’m really sorry for what I said and thank you. I have to go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But Sana saw her do that.

 

 

“What?” She asked feeling a nerve constrict.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What do you mean what?” Dahyun replied.
 

Don’t Sana have to go, why is she still standing there?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You were smiling but its the one you make when you think I’m saying something unbelievable.”


When Dahyun thinks Sana is saying crap but she doesn't want to be crass early in the morning.

 

Sana hated that smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, you couldn’t have loved me more. That’s what I was smiling about.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“How would you even know what I felt then?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter