Final.

Awkward Turtle

 

I glared at the date on my iPod.

February 13, 2012.

Tomorrow is the day couples decide to do something extra special for their significant other, or when people to decide to confess.

Why should people pick this one specific day to do something extra special?

I pressed the home button on my iPod and the music. I smiled to myself, letting the music take me away, and fell asleep.

--

"Haeri-yah! Wake up!"

I groaned in my sleep and rolled over onto my stomach. "Not yet... I don't want to go to school..."

"Haeri!" the voice was louder and angrier the second time.

My eyes snapped open. I looked to the door and smiled nervously. "Sorry..."

"Just hurry up," my dad rolled his eyes before closing my bedroom door.

I scowled and stuck my tongue out at the door. "I hate mornings."

I quickly got out of bed, changed out of my pajamas and went downstairs for breakfast.

After getting ready for school, I grabbed my art portfolio and ran out the door. "I'm going to be late!" I panicked, muttering under my breath.

Thankfully, the bus arrived at the same time I did. I plopped down in a seat in the back and let out a deep breath. "Phew..."

I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes.

--

"I'm so screwed for art!" I buried my face in my hands.

"Haeri, that's too bad."

I shot my friend a glare. She laughed and shook her head. "I'm just kidding! You can do it! Stop being such a pessimist."

"I'm just.. Ugh, I hate valentines day! It's overrated and it puts me in a bad mood," I sighed.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my arm. I looked over my shoulder and saw Jongup. Before I realized what was happening, he pulled out a bouquet of origami flowers.

The bouquet was wrapped with a dark red paper, stuffed with light pink tissue paper and donned a dark magenta bow. There were pink and orange origami flowers organized in a square-ish form.

I looked up at Jongup's face with doubt. 'What is this?'

"Will you be my valentine?" he asked shyly.

I glanced around at my friends who didn't seem to pay attention to us. 'Is this a trick? Is he bring serious? What do I do! He seems serious!' I panicked in my head.

"Ah... Okay," I awkwardly grabbed the bouquet from his hands and examined the flowers. 'Wh-What do I do now?'

I felt my cheeks and ears burn. Jongup continued to stand there, as if expecting more from me. "Thank you," I mumbled nervously.

He continued to stand there then laughed nervously. "You're so awkward!"

"Yeah.. I'm sorry," I averted my gaze and looked at the bouquet. "Did you... Make these yourself?"

"Yeah..."

We continued to stand in awkward silence.

"Jongup, can you help me with chem?" someone called from across the table.

"I-I'll see you later," Jongup waved and walked away.

I glanced down at my friend and caught her smiling up at me. "So, what just happened?" she asked.

"He... He asked me to be his valentine," I replied, dazed.

"Awww that's so cute!" she cooed.

"What does this mean?! What am I supposed to do? I should have hugged him! I'm so stupid!" A rush of emotions flooded my mind and I could feel my cheeks burn even more.

I looked to where Jongup was and saw that he had left already. "Nooo! I lost my chance! I'm so stupid! And awkward!" I buried my face in my hands.

"Haeri, calm down!" my friend laughed.

"But Minhee, I-I can't!" I shook my head.

"Haeri's got a valentine," she sing-songed.

"And you know what's ironic about it? Right before he came, I told you I hated valentines day," I said thoughtfully, twirling the bouquet in my hands.

Minhee nodded and laughed, "You're right!"

"Well, what do I do now?" I put the bouquet down and crouched down beside my friend. "I can't believe I'm so awkward! I totally screwed this up! Ugh!"

"Haeri! Calm. Down!"

"I caaaan't!" I ruffled my hair in frustration.

"Oh Haeri, you awkward turtle you."

"Shut up! I mean, I'm sorry. Whaa!" I stuffed my food with mouth and looked away.

Jaehwa skipped over to our table and glanced at me oddly. "What's wrong with Haeri?" she whispered to Minhee.

"Jongup just gave her this," Minhee gestured toward the carefully folded origami flowers.

"Nooo way! I didn't know he was going to do that! Does that mean you're going to prom?" Jaehwa turned towards me.

"Ah... I don't know... He just said 'valentine,'" I replied uncertainly.

"I'll go ask him," she skipped away before I could react.

"What do you think, Minnie?"

"He totally likes you! Otherwise, why would he go through all that trouble to fold each of these flowers?" she reasoned.

"I'm dying!" I stuffed my mouth with more food and cringed, feeling a bit nauseous from the excess cheese.

Minhee laughed at me and shook her head. "Haeri has a valentine," she chimed.

Near the end of lunch, Jaehwa came back with a wide smile on her face. She stopped in front of the table and stared at me.

"...so what did he say?" I meekly asked.

"He said he'll talk to you about it in French."

"Bu-But that's first period tomorrow!" I buried my face in my hands again.

"Good luck!" she smirked, picking up her stuff and leaving me behind at the table.

~=

author's note ;

Well, here is my story! (Or one-shot.) Let me know if you guys would like a sequel, 'cause there's more to this story (; Like  the awkward hallway passings, the awkward lunch conversation, the awkward date... o3o

//sobs. I'm such an awkward turtle ; A ;