Chapter 6

Rose Stole

“I’m okay,” Minnie blinked quickly and squinted to get the rest of the tears to leave her eyes. Taeyang still looked like he was expecting an explanation even after her answer. She simply put her hand under a rose on one of the bushes and said, “The roses bloomed from your song. I thought it was beautiful. So, I felt a strange emotion for some reason.” Taeyang lowered his eyebrows suspiciously, “I don’t feel like that’s the whole story.” Minnie frowned at him in confusion when he suddenly broke out into laughter. She didn’t see what was so funny and focused her attention elsewhere until he surprised her.

 

“Jaeyoon told me that you like to read books about plants,” he began. She acknowledged him again with a nod and he continued, “I have some which you can read in the library.” “Why? What do you care about it?” she really couldn’t make sense of him now. “I… Just feel bad that you are working on the roses all the time without anything else to do.” “Oh...” Minnie thought this was an odd change of his character. She also realized that maybe he really was just a good guy at heart despite her first impression of him.

 

“I’ll show you where the library is,” Taeyang said as he strode back toward the castle entrance. Minnie followed behind him awkwardly. She still couldn’t get used to his behavior.

 

After entering the castle, they took a different corridor than Minnie had been in before. They now stood before large burgundy double doors which were accentuated with a pointed arch at the top of the frame. Taeyang took hold of each door handle and opened the doors to reveal a view of sprawling bookcases lined with books of many colors and sizes.

 

As Minnie gawked in amazement at the sight before her, Taeyang noted, “I usually read without the lights, but I lit the candles for you earlier as I know that you can’t see in the dark.” Touched by his thoughtfulness, Minnie nodded, “Thank you.”

 

Taeyang told her about the content of most of the books because he had read many of them. Minnie was very grateful for his gesture of kindness in ensuring that the rest of her stay was comfortable. She could almost get used to it.

 

 

Every day, after working in the garden, Minnie would head back to the comforting space of the library. She wanted to develop a new poison plan, and she could find many answers from the collection of knowledge. Taeyang had slowly begun to join her in her research as he wanted to hear about what she was interested in. Minnie explained a lot in detail on the topics which Taeyang was surprisingly able to understand quickly and ask more questions about.

 

In just a few days, they had already gone through over a hundred various plant books. Minnie was already getting a clear picture of what she wanted to make next, but she didn't want to rush as she enjoyed listening to Taeyang singing in the garden every night. Somehow, they had both tamed each other's tempers and formed a growing bond of friendship.

 

One night in the library, Minnie fell asleep to the thought of how odd it was for her to have made such a strange friend. What was even more curious was that she was also quite strange herself- she knew it. Still, it was comforting. Then, her eyes closed and sleep fell upon her.

 

 

Minnie opened her eyes to a pleasant sunny day. She was walking along a path when she looked over to a field to see an incomprehensible sight to her. A man and a woman were fighting at lightning speeds while a boy watched helplessly but looked as though he wanted to stop the two.

 

Without paying attention to her footing, Minnie felt the small rocks beneath her slide and found herself tumbling off a cliff. She couldn't predict what would happen when she was caught in someone's arms in no time. Before she could make out a face, everything went dark.

 

She opened her eyes again. This time, her mother was on a stage, but her mother could sing- it was odd. Minnie almost questioned where she was when she remembered that the woman on the stage was her real mother. Memories came hammering back into Minnie’s head all at once which made it hard to decipher them all.

 

Before she could stop what was about to happen, the stage burst into flames, and the burning curtain fell onto her screaming mother. In tragic horror, Minnie let out a heart-wrenching scream while being held back by her father. There was nothing anyone could do as the crowd fled to safety. In tears, Minnie was drug away from the fire.

 

 

"Minnie." She woke to grasp Taeyang's hand which was on her face. She realized that the tears from her dream had somehow reached her eyes. Without letting her turn away, Taeyang carefully and meticulously wiped the tears from her face with his finger. "It's okay, Minnie," he whispered gently. Somehow, he now had a fond attachment to this girl.

 

"What happened? A nightmare?" he asked. She nodded, "Yes, my real mother died. I… didn't even remember her until just now. She died…" Taeyang felt bad for her and could understand how she must be feeling as he had also lost his mother.

 

"I'm sorry, Minnie," he patted her head. "There was more too," she continued with a puzzled tilt to her head. Taeyang waited for her to finish. "I was walking by a field. Two people were attacking each other. It was a man and a woman. They moved so fast. I've never seen anything like it. I fell from the mountain path not long after, but I didn't die. Someone saved me," she looked at Taeyang. She almost expected an answer from him, but she knew he couldn't know what in the world she was talking about.

 

Speaking anyway, Taeyang said, "It sounds like a frightening nightmare. You weren't harmed though. You're right here with me."

 

He paused when he caught her staring at him. "What is it?" he questioned. After seeming as if she was hypnotized, Minnie finally answered with a lull in her tone, "I think I like you a lot. You always know what to say in these situations."  Taeyang felt a happiness in his heart from her words. Apparently, they had both found a love for the other despite their constant bickering. “I like you too,” Taeyang responded sincerely. While staring back into Minnie’s dark irises, Taeyang placed his hands delicately around her face and leaned in to touch her lips with his. Their eyes closed as they continued to exchange kisses. 

 

They were so intent on showing each other their feelings, that Minnie slowly ended up lying on the couch with her head resting on the armrest. Taeyang was hovering above her while they kissed, and Minnie was pulling him closer. Suddenly, Taeyang realized how scandalous their positions were and that Inseong or Zuho could walk in on them at any minute. So, while trying not to be rude, Taeyang gradually pulled away from Minnie. She didn’t seem to mind too much and opted to snuggle into his shoulder while hugging his arm. Taeyang caressed some strands of her hair before giving her one more soft peck.

 

In the silence, the two fell asleep sitting together with their hands intertwined.

 

 

Near the castle graveyard that same night, no one heard the eerie scraping of sharp nails against stone.

 

**.**.**.**.**

 

Omo omo omo! So mushy! I was cringing by just thinking about writing this! (>_<) By the way, did you notice that totally unintentional "good guy" reference? 😆

I felt that the Goblin kdrama OST, “Round and Round” by Heize, was perfect on repeat for the mood of this chapter. It’s very magical and romantic. The airy singing reminds me of Taeyang’s singing style too which he is often teased for by SF9.

This is what the library door looks like. I love gothic arches. :
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/gothic-arch-style-set-of-red-doors-picture-id116997568?k=6&m=116997568&s=170667a&w=0&h=2jgn1cecgvvgOszuBoqhB6qTWWQYRlH6A3dipMBHg4I=