To Begin Again (final)

To Begin Again

Word count: 1, 479

 

---

 

Kyungsoo's heart was pounding.

 

He stood on a small podium near the altar, discreetly tapping his feet on the floor as he waited for his cue. It had been a long time since he last sang in front of dozens of people, and he was worried that he'd mess up even more since he hadn't had much time to practice beforehand.

 

The music started playing and after a much-needed deep breath, he firmly gripped the mic and started singing. Slowly, the double doors to the hall opened, and in walked the prettiest, smiling bride he had ever seen. Kim Hyejin looked really excited and happy, and even gave Kyungsoo a small, subtle wave when she spotted him.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes, however, couldn't seem to leave the man walking next to the bride, the man who would give her away. It was her younger brother, Kim Jongin.

 

He could feel his heartbeat go even faster as the tanned male met his gaze with an intense stare of his own, as if he wanted to tell him something through his eyes. It had been a long time since they last saw each other. It had been too long. At the last moment, when the brother and sister were only a few steps away from the altar, Kyungsoo looked away.

 

 

*-*-*

 

The entire wedding ceremony was a joyous affair, with the bride and groom's happiness emanating throughout the venue. As vows were exchanged, Kyungsoo sat at the corner and let his mind wander at how he ended up being here today.

 

He had been reluctant to come in the first place, having broken up with Jongin for more than five years already. They had not kept in touch, and as time passed he had told himself that forgetting about everything between them was probably for the best.

 

That was until he received an email from Hyejin, asking how he'd been and saying how much she missed him. It also came with the news of her upcoming wedding, and how she'd never forgotten about his promise.

 

'In case you have forgotten, you promised to be my wedding singer when the time comes that I found my other half. And now, I did. Can you believe it? We've been together for 3 and a half years and I'm still over the moon each time he says he loves me. He's the one, Kyungsoo, I just know it. I know I'm being a little selfish (knowing that things did not end quite well between you and my brother) but I suppose you can let me off the hook, right? It's going to be one of the best days of my life and I want you to be there with us when it happens. You're a part of my family. Always have been and always will be. I'm hoping to hear a 'yes' from you. I'll be waiting~~!'

 

And really, how was Kyungsoo supposed to turn her down? He, too, had always loved Hyejin like an older sister and if his attendance to the wedding would make her happy, then how could he deprive her of that?

 

Before he could back out, he immediately typed a response, included his current number and hit send. Not even a whole five minutes later, his phone rang, and as soon as he picked it up, a squealing Hyejin greeted her nonstop.

 

*-*-*

 

When the ceremony finally ended, everyone was instructed to proceed to the hotel’s rooftop garden, where reception and everything else were set up. The bride even ran to Kyungsoo before leaving the hall, afraid he’d make a quiet escape and ditch her.

 

“I’ll still be singing a couple of songs at the reception, remember? I won’t be going anywhere. Now run along, Hyejin. You look beautiful, and I’m glad I came,” he assured as he kissed her cheek. She smiled, before going back to her husband and turning to leave with everybody.

 

Kyungsoo really should’ve gone along with them. But as the crowd dispersed and the hall slowly emptied, he stood unmoving in his spot facing the altar.

 

If things hadn’t gone south five years ago, he’d probably be carrying a different surname now. He’d probably be happily greeting each one of the Kims, sitting next to his most beloved one. This was not the time to ponder about such things, though. His wristwatch showed 15 minutes to five, and he’d have to get to the reception soon and sing for the couple and the guests.

 

Just as he was turning to leave, he spotted someone standing near the double-doors, hands in his pants pocket and watching him. Kim Jongin looked even more handsome in his custom-tailored three-piece suit. The past five years seemed to have been good to him, and Kyungsoo tried to push down the feeling of longing deep in his heart.

 

All of a sudden, he could not take another step. His heartbeat is racing the way it did earlier, and the strong urge to cry is slowly taking over him. He couldn’t do anything when Jongin started making his way towards him.

 

“Kyungsoo”

 

There was a warm and gentle hand caressing his cheek, and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but lean into the touch. He had missed this. He missed him.

 

“I…I’m sorry.”

 

“I missed you, Kyungsoo. I missed you every day,” the taller male mumbled. “And if there’s anyone who should apologize, it’s me. I knew you were in a difficult situation back then, when your dad died and you had to move to New York to take over the company. You had to give up your dream of pursuing music, and I was supposed to be there for you. But I was selfish. Up until the moment we broke up, I only thought about myself. I’m sorry.”

 

It was during their junior year in university. Kyungsoo was taking up a degree in music, while Jongin was majoring in dance. Kyungsoo’s father’s passing was sudden and unexpected, forcing him to manage their overseas business and take his dad’s place as the head of the family. The two of them had already been engaged, having promised to marry each other a year or two after they graduate.

 

Jongin understood the situation Kyungsoo was in, and he allowed him to move to New York entirely. Communication should be easy anyway, and they could still call and FaceTime each other every day. But as Kyungsoo got busy with learning the ropes of managing an entire enterprise, the daily calls turned into thrice a week, to once a week, until all the guy could manage was one text message every two days.

 

Around Christmas time, Jongin flew to the States to surprise his boyfriend. But even when they were already next to each other, Kyungsoo still barely had the time to spare.

 

Before they even realized it, they were already fighting, calling each other out on the things they felt were unfair to them. By the end of Jongin’s vacation, he was back in Seoul, the engagement ring he gave Kyungsoo now returned to him.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t contact you for five whole years. I’m a coward. I went to New York almost every month to try to talk to you. But each time I see you and you seem to be doing fine without me, I lose my nerve. But every day without you is torture,” Jongin explained as his tears fell. Kim Jongin, the strongest man he knows, is crying in front of him. “Do you think you can ever forgive me? Will you take me back?”

 

Five years. Five ing long years, but Kyungsoo would be lying to himself if he would say that he moved on from Jongin. He still loved him. Very much so. When they broke up, he felt like his world had come crashing down, and he didn't think he'd make it another day without the younger. Up to this moment he had no idea how he had lived through the devastation and managed to not have Jongin by his side for a long time.

 

And maybe – just maybe – five years of longing for him was enough. Maybe it was time to take his happiness back.

 

“That’s if you would be willing to take me back too.”

 

The tight hug that followed was enough answer for the both of them. When they pulled apart, Jongin reached into his suit pocket and suddenly dropped on one knee, surprising Kyungsoo with the gesture.

 

“I’ve been carrying this with me the whole time, every day of the past five years, hoping one day I’d get to give it back to you. Marry me, Kyungsoo?”

 

It was the same ring Kyungsoo had returned to him when they broke up. As he finally managed a smile, he nodded and let Jongin place the ring around his finger once again.

 

It was finally back where it truly belonged.

 

*-*-*